Seriously - they're not gonna tell us the Live at Easy Street difference before RSD?

13»

Comments

• GC31608GC31608 GA Posts: 228
    PJ_Soul said:
    Seems like a very legit point of discussion to me, on a fan forum, whether you agree or not. :confused:
    Eh, I'd call it throwing a tantrum or being self-centered more than anything when you throw out supermega highly fan-unfriendly or insinuate the club is out to purposefully screw over fans because they're not providing all the details you feel you are entitled to on ONE special release.  The fact that not everyone that collects records has easy access to a local store, and that this could be a nice opportunity for them to get to partake in their own way on RSD doesn't cross the mind?  That it's only for those that park themselves in line the day before and they should have access to all the limited offerings? But yeah, continue on with the legit point of discussion.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    GC31608 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Seems like a very legit point of discussion to me, on a fan forum, whether you agree or not. :confused:
    Eh, I'd call it throwing a tantrum 
    Coming from this guy:

GC31608 said:
    I hope tenclub offers a super-limited signed colored edition that releases and sells out as you're paying at the register Saturday.  

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    I don't see it as a tantrum at all. I don't agree with your view generally and still think you should just wait from the 10C version and go from there with no skin off your back - I feel like 10C is mainly just doing g what they have to as RSD ambassadors - but to characterize this as a tantrum just doesn't make any sense to me. You give a shit about this and and are acting like it and having a conversation about it. I see nothing wrong with that.  
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    GC31608 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Coming from this guy:

GC31608 said:
    I hope tenclub offers a super-limited signed colored edition that releases and sells out as you're paying at the register Saturday.  

You should pick up a dictionary my friend, not an example of a tantrum.
    GC31608 said:
    GC31608 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Coming from this guy:

GC31608 said:

You should pick up a dictionary my friend, not an example of a tantrum.
    You should take what you wrote to heart.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Oh good, so you decided to go with the TC version.  Awesome!
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,598
    The end is nigh!
    GC31608 said:

Oh good, so you decided to go with the TC version.  Awesome!
    That doesn't make sense, Rick.
    That doesn't make sense, Rick.
    *holds up a mirror to Spiritual_Chaos*
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    For me, I'm picking up the RSD version (assuming I can score a copy).   More of an insurance plan in case the 10c version never see's the light of day.
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,547
    Maybe the 10C version will be all the songs they played that aren't on the ep ha
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,902
    I plan on being in line early for RSD tomorrow.  When the 10C edition comes out, I'll try getting it too. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Not for this thread, but people get way too hung up on Digital v Analog in regards to vinyl mastering. 
    Yeah, digital vs analog is less interesting to me, but the last part of your sentence is where I have a question. Do people believe that PJ re-mastered these tracks specifically for vinyl or did they just use the CD masters that they already had for the pressing? Given the band's lack of activity or production these days, I find it a bit difficult to believe that they took the time to actually have these mastered for vinyl. And there is a difference in technique however slight, as mastering for CD is much less involved in that CDs don't have the same technical limitations that records do. Anyone know?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,417
    How about that weather?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• tdawetdawe Posts: 1,995
    edited April 2019
    Live at Easy Street is an 'RSD First' release, which typically means that the limited RSD run is followed up by a wider release some time later. Based on my experience, the only difference between the RSD First versions and the wide-release versions is an RSD sticker on the cellophane - so once you open the thing to play it, they're basically identical. 

I'd be surprised to find out that the only ways to get this record are 1) tomorrow's limited RSD run and 2) the 10C version 6 months from now. In fact, that would (I think) make tomorrow's release an "RSD Exclusive" since the only way to get that version would be the RSD run. My guess is that later this year there will be a wide release of the standard black vinyl, identical to what you can buy tomorrow but for a sticker on the wrapping, which wide release will be accompanied by a 10C exclusive version with some kind of color variant. Keep this in mind before anyone heads out at 3 am to line up at their local. 

Personally, I wouldn't worry about some kind of scenario where they do the RSD release and then later change their minds about the wider run (in fact there's a good chance that a ton of these things have already been produced, and they slapped an RSD sticker on 6,000 of them and sent them out the door while the rest sit in a warehouse for some appropriate and contractually-obligated time period). And, despite the situation with the annual singles, I'm not worried that they'll fail to do a 10C exclusive version (even if that ends up being an LP2 sort of situation with a mildly enhanced cover and an extra goody or two - although IIRC they didn't even advertise that as a 10C exclusive version when it went on sale). And I'm super not-worried about the standard black RSD version being somehow more desirable than the 10C version. To my mind, the arguments for hunting this down tomorrow are: (1) there are going to be two versions and I want both, (2) I'd rather have the record now than wait 6 months for a 10C version with some kind of color variant and (3) fuck it, there's a Pearl Jam thing to buy and I just want to buy it.

In short, I'm not going to go out of my way to get the RSD version, although I know myself well enough to know that if I somehow encounter one in the wild I might not be able to resist (see (3) above). If any of the pro-RSD arguments above appeal to you, then best of luck. 
    Post edited by tdawe on
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,880
    There is really nothing good or of substance coming from this thread. :o
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited April 2019
    derbydave said:
    I'm kind of basing the timing of the 10 Club - Live At Easy Street announcement on what they have done with past Record Store Day / Black Friday RSD releases.
    If my memory is correct,
    all of these previous PJ related records were announced via email to members & then put up in the 10 Club shop later in the day on RSD or BFRSD:

I'm expecting the same thing to happen this time as well.
    I believe the only announcement 10 Club has ever made before Record Store Day was their Mystery Vinyl sale on RSD a few years ago.
    This sounds the most likely thing to happen but then again they were never ambassadors before and selling their own version on the day is a bit rubbsh. Why are we even surprised by the lack of communication. The mystery vinyl sale was the best thing they did in years but even that was rigged with them deciding who got what.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    jeffbr said:
    Not for this thread, but people get way too hung up on Digital v Analog in regards to vinyl mastering. 
    Yeah, digital vs analog is less interesting to me, but the last part of your sentence is where I have a question. Do people believe that PJ re-mastered these tracks specifically for vinyl or did they just use the CD masters that they already had for the pressing? Given the band's lack of activity or production these days, I find it a bit difficult to believe that they took the time to actually have these mastered for vinyl. And there is a difference in technique however slight, as mastering for CD is much less involved in that CDs don't have the same technical limitations that records do. Anyone know?
    I don't think they use a redbook CD for cutting the vinyl (It happens in general, but I think its more rare than people think). I believe they have hi res digital files from the original tapes for the albums, and then whatever hi res they use for live shows. Those digital files are whats used to cut the vinyl version. Thats pretty much how most vinyl is cut today.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,265
    derbydave said:
    I'm kind of basing the timing of the 10 Club - Live At Easy Street announcement on what they have done with past Record Store Day / Black Friday RSD releases.
    If my memory is correct,
    all of these previous PJ related records were announced via email to members & then put up in the 10 Club shop later in the day on RSD or BFRSD:

I'm expecting the same thing to happen this time as well.
    I believe the only announcement 10 Club has ever made before Record Store Day was their Mystery Vinyl sale on RSD a few years ago.
    Not trying to derail the thread, but was the SOLAT vinyl ever sold in the 10C store? I missed it on RSD, and can't remember seeing it anywhere on here
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)