Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    With both ragged glory and freedom getting new releases in the future with extra songs etc -- If you could get a deluxe version with B-sides etc of ONE of Neils albums. Which one would it be?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    If anyone is looking for copy of The Cellar Door vinyl release, Amazon US has it for under $14 at the moment. 
    Thanks man!
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited March 2019
    adusick said:
    If anyone is looking for copy of The Cellar Door vinyl release, Amazon US has it for under $14 at the moment. 
    Thanks man!
    Not a problem buddy! My copy of this arrived yesterday. Great sounding record. 

You going to any of the Neil shows out there in the Northwest?
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    With both ragged glory and freedom getting new releases in the future with extra songs etc -- If you could get a deluxe version with B-sides etc of ONE of Neils albums. Which one would it be?
    Honestly....... probably Ragged Glory..... or anything from the 70's
    my2hands said:
    Honestly....... probably Ragged Glory..... or anything from the 70's
    If you have to pick one from the 70s?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    As Ragged Glory is already happening, I'll go with Broken Arrow.
    I'd love to say Mirrorball but I doubt there is anything leftover from such quick sessions.

It would be hard to pick anything from the 70s because most of those records are fully formed and really don't need to be touched. Also, Neil wrote or recorded so many songs that ended up on other records that it's hard to figure out what came from where! Most of his leftovers, or b-sides, ended up forming a whole different album.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    edited March 2019
    Ragged Glory is probably my favorite album. It'd be cool to see some B-Sides and extras from that album.

Also, for whatever reason, I JUST listened to Weld for the first time last night... Now my favorite live album of his. 
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    adusick said:
    Thanks man!

Yes! Going to the Portland solo show and the two Seattle shows with POTR. I honestly considered going to all of the PNW tour, Neil is just so damn special to me. The Archives, live streams, vinyl releases, touring, crazy setlists... I don’t know if any musical act provides fans more “treats” these days than ol’ Neil. These things don’t last forever, gotta enjoy em while they last. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Oh man, this is tough.

Let me see,  if I  narrow it down to my favorite five...

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
    Zuma
    Rust Never Sleep
    Ragged Glory
    Broken Arrow

...Then write the titles on pieces of paper, fold the papers, put them in a hat, pull one out of the hat...

Looks like it's Zuma for me.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited March 2019
    adusick said:
    adusick said:
    Thanks man!

Yes! Going to the Portland solo show and the two Seattle shows with POTR. I honestly considered going to all of the PNW tour, Neil is just so damn special to me. The Archives, live streams, vinyl releases, touring, crazy setlists... I don’t know if any musical act provides fans more “treats” these days than ol’ Neil. These things don’t last forever, gotta enjoy em while they last. 
    Enjoy the shows! The two in Minne I went were fantastic. I tried to convince the wife that we need to visit her brother in Portland. She shut that idea down when she learned my true motive was to go to the Neil show. 
    Would love to know if there is anything laying around from the Le Noise sessions...
    my2hands said:
    Would love to know if there is anything laying around from the Le Noise sessions...
    I have 37 Neil Young LPs.  Obviously not a complete set but I wonder if this one should be in there?  Thoughts?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    I have 37 Neil Young LPs.  Obviously not a complete set but I wonder if this one should be in there?  Thoughts?
    Have you joined the NYA yet? Best $20 I’ve spent this year. The full access to stream all Neil’s music is fantastic. Plus, it’s a nice way to have access to a few the albums that I either can’t afford, or am on the fence of buying.
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    Have you joined the NYA yet? Best $20 I’ve spent this year. The full access to stream all Neil’s music is fantastic. Plus, it’s a nice way to have access to a few the albums that I either can’t afford, or am on the fence of buying.
    Have definitely thought about it but I'm pretty hung up about wanting to hear certain artist's work- Neil's in particular- in analog or as close to it as I can get.  My computer set up makes for very tinny, highly digital sounding noise- I mainly use to to sample something I might want to get on vinyl or a better CD recording if no vinyl.  Neil's sites are always really slow to load with what I've got.  If I ever upgrade my digital stuff, NYA is probably a good thing to keep in mind!

Brian...... Le Noise is Neils best album since Prarie Wind, instant classic 
    my2hands said:
    Best since Living with War.

Very creative and cool album. Def doesn't hurt your ears to put on.
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

I'm intrigued! 

Or was.  I looked at what the vinyl is going for. $100 and up.   I would never spend that kind of money an an album.  Absolutely never.

So buy the CD for $3 lol
    my2hands said:
    So buy the CD for $3 lol
    Might have to go that way although "Neil Young CD" seems like an oxymoron, haha!

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

I'm intrigued! 

Or was.  I looked at what the vinyl is going for. $100 and up.   I would never spend that kind of money an an album.  Absolutely never.
    I found a copy in a record store a while back for $170AUD. I carried it around for about 15 minutes trying to justify it before putting it back!
    It will be part of the reissue boxes eventually so I’ll just have to wait 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

I'm intrigued! 

I found a copy in a record store a while back for $170AUD. I carried it around for about 15 minutes trying to justify it before putting it back!
    It will be part of the reissue boxes eventually so I’ll just have to wait 
    That's what I'm hoping for- a reissue!

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Elvis Costello opening in Vancouver- that’s a pretty good twosome right there.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/neil_young_announces_vancouver_concert_with_elvis_costello
  • ST66483 said:

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/neil_young_announces_vancouver_concert_with_elvis_costello

This is awesome news.

I liked Elvis back in the day, but when he slagged Zeppelin... I kinda stopped listening to him. It'll be fun to reacquaint myself with him though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ST66483 said:

This is awesome news.

I liked Elvis back in the day, but when he slagged Zeppelin... I kinda stopped listening to him. It'll be fun to reacquaint myself with him though.
    I like Bonnie Bramlett. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    ST66483 said:

@PJ_Soul

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2019
    ST66483 said:

@PJ_Soul

I'll cave and go to the show if you buy me a ticket. ;) I've only boycotted paying to see shows ruined there. I'm happy to go and risk seeing a ruined show for free!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    ST66483 said:

@PJ_Soul

I'll cave and go to the show if you buy me a ticket. ;) I've only boycotted paying to see shows ruined there. I'm happy to go and risk seeing a ruined show for free!

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ST66483 said:

@PJ_Soul

I think this is the first time ever where I've had no clue what a gif is supposed to mean. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ST66483 said:

@PJ_Soul

Lol
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ST66483 said:

@PJ_Soul

Lol
    So you get it, apparently? Please explain! Something about up the butt??? :lol: