Options

Where does Pearl Jam go from here?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    NewJPage said:
    If Pearl Jam was making decent $$$ off albums they'd still be doing an Album every 3 years.  In no way are they irrelevant, it's just different times where some bands do not feel the effort going into making new music is worth it.  Time will tell.  I wouldn't panic.  I believe they all got young families, so they are trying to be there for their children as well.  It would not surprise that they become more active in their 60's
    The families aren't all that young...Matt's son is in his 20s. Plus the families tour with them every time. And they can record in Seattle. It's not like they are the first musicians to have offspring...Neil young had 3 young children in the 80s, 2 with special needs, and all he managed to get out was [checks notes]...9 albums (plus several others that were never released) 2 films, develop a new way for special needs kids to use electronic model trains, start bridge school, and tour every year
    I was thinking of Neil as well.  My father had three kids and he kept working 5 days a week.  But he wasn't fabulously famous and wealthy.  Being a bit hungry is not a bad thing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited March 2019
    brianlux said:
    NewJPage said:
    If Pearl Jam was making decent $$$ off albums they'd still be doing an Album every 3 years.  In no way are they irrelevant, it's just different times where some bands do not feel the effort going into making new music is worth it.  Time will tell.  I wouldn't panic.  I believe they all got young families, so they are trying to be there for their children as well.  It would not surprise that they become more active in their 60's
    The families aren't all that young...Matt's son is in his 20s. Plus the families tour with them every time. And they can record in Seattle. It's not like they are the first musicians to have offspring...Neil young had 3 young children in the 80s, 2 with special needs, and all he managed to get out was [checks notes]...9 albums (plus several others that were never released) 2 films, develop a new way for special needs kids to use electronic model trains, start bridge school, and tour every year
    I was thinking of Neil as well.  My father had three kids and he kept working 5 days a week.  But he wasn't fabulously famous and wealthy.  Being a bit hungry is not a bad thing.
    Maybe Neils kids would have wanted him home more often. 

Comparing how a dad did in in the 80s and in the 10s.... I mean, there's a world of difference then to now. And also, everyone is different. Being able to stay home with your kids, surfing and beating records in Pac-Man if you find that more fulfilling than forcing out music - then why not?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    edited March 2019
    [Looks at Neil's 9 albums from the 80s]

hmmmmmm
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    [Looks at Neil's 9 albums from the 80s]

hmmmmmm
    [Looks at Pearl Jams albums from 09 to 16 ]

hmmmm
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    brianlux said:
    NewJPage said:
    Maybe Neils kids would have wanted him home more often. 

Comparing how a dad did in the 80s 50's and in the 10s.... I mean, there's a world of difference then to now. And also, everyone is different. Being able to stay home with your kids, surfing and beating records in Pac-Man if you find that more fulfilling than forcing out music - then why not?
    Fixed!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 899
    I know from having a job that people always want more from me, kids have changed my perspective alot and I work less than people want me to
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,657
    mvw said:
    They will be back.  Maybe the current state has been done for a reason.  We as fans sometime expect too much from them.  Everything they do recently is critiqued so much these days.  Maybe “Can’t Deny Me” was put out for a reason.  To test the water so to speak.  It really got a mixed reviews and I feel that if they’re going to give us new music they want to make it worth it.  They reached a point where they needed to turn the page or else wind up being a nostalgia act, which I don’t think they want yet.  This band has always given us 100%.  It’s music and it’s art.  To make it right and relevant  takes time sometimes.  I think they realize the past few albums were not their strongest.  In giving 100%, they want to make this next one just right.  Give them time to find themselves again.  With all the talent in this group it will be well worth the wait.  Most of us yearn for that creative and somewhat experimental part of their music to come crashing down on us like a huge wave as it has done in the past.  Let’s be patient and let that energy build to let them create that big fucking wave that will blow our fucking minds once again.  You all know it would and will be worth it.  🌊🤙 
    They did it!  Maybe they finally did it!
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    They are going to Disneyland. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    densan said:
    They are going to Disneyland. 
    :lol:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center