'Multiple fatalities' after shootings at mosques in New Zealand, police say Social Sharing

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, it's straight out the shooter's manifesto.
    What makes it a manifesto vs just some crazy rant? 
    Same thing. Racist terrorist's manifesto = crazy rant. What does it matter? Semantics aren't important here.
    Manifesto: a written statement declaring publicly the intentions, motives, or views of its issuer

I was just curious.  I heard people on the radio referring to it as a manifesto.  My opinion is that makes it sound more important and legit.  But since you used the term too I was wondering what made it a manifesto for you.  

I decided to look it up as well since it seemed you were upset I asked...
    "a public declaration of policy and aims, especially one issued before an election by a political party or candidate."
    hippiemom = goodness
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    And companies are trying to figure out how to get humans to other planes when the earth is not habitable.  I think we should just stay here.   We only make things worse.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

New Zealand’s gun control laws will be strengthened following the massacre of 49 people in Christchurch mosques, the country’s prime minister has said.

Jacinda Ardern said at a press conference early on Saturday that she would consider banning semi-automatic firearms altogether after the alleged gunman behind the shootings obtained five guns legally.

“I can tell you one thing right now: our gun laws will change,” said Ardern. “There have been attempts to change our laws in 2005, 2012 and after an inquiry in 2017. Now is the time for change.”

Ardern said the alleged shooter was found to have used five guns that he appeared to legally own under a “category A” licence obtained in November 2017. He appeared to have begun buying guns the following month, she said.

The guns taken from the alleged perpetrator included two semi-automatic guns and two shotguns, the prime minister said. Answering questions from reporters, Ardern said all options to restrict gun violence would be considered.

New Zealand allows ownership of semi-automatic guns frequently described as “assault rifles” that are banned in countries such as Australia and the UK. Guns can be bought online and anyone aged 16 with an entry-level licence can possess them.

The prime minister said early on Saturday that she had received “messages of condolence from around the world” and international leaders including Donald Trump, the US president, who has been criticised for his hostility towards Muslims.

“He very much wished for his condolences to be passed on to New Zealand,” said Ardern. “He asked what support the US could provide. My message was sympathy and love for all Muslim communities.”

Asked how Trump responded, Ardern said: “He acknowledged that and agreed.”

Four people were arrested following the attack and one was subsequently released. Arden said that person was an armed member of the public who was trying to help police at the scene.

An Australian man in his 20s has been charged with murder and is due to appear in court on Saturday. Arden followed law enforcement in not naming him or two other suspects who were being questioned.

Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian man, identified himself online as being behind the attack.

Ardern described the main suspect as having visited New Zealand “sporadically” during international travels. “They were not a resident of Christchurch,” she said.

Investigators were said to be trying to establish whether or not the other two people arrested were involved in the attacks.

Ardern said that while New Zealand’s intelligence agencies had recently increased their monitoring of far-right extremists, the alleged gunman had not come to the attention of law enforcement and had no criminal record.

The prime minister said she had asked authorities to review the main suspect’s social media output and other evidence for any material “that should have triggered a response” from police.

A total of 41 people were killed at a mosque on Deans Avenue, Ardern said, and seven were killed at a mosque on Lynwood Avenue. One person died later in hospital.

More than 40 people injured in the shootings are being treated in hospitals, Ardern said, and two of them remain in a critical condition. One of those injured is a five-year-old girl.

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    So, while people have jumped all over Halifax for mentioning Trump in connection with this shooting, it’s worth bearing in mind that the shooter himself, in his “manifesto”, reportedly named and praised Trump as “a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose”.

Trump’s leadership in such areas is not lost on the world. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited March 2019
    So, while people have jumped all over Halifax for mentioning Trump in connection with this shooting, it’s worth bearing in mind that the shooter himself, in his “manifesto”, reportedly named and praised Trump as “a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose”.

I don’t believe that when Halifax originally made his first post that it was known that trump was mentioned in the manifesto.  
    And if the manifesto/trump connection had been released at the time of his original post I would bet my house that he would have mentioned it. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

I don’t believe that when Halifax originally made his first post that it was known that trump was mentioned in the manifesto.  
    And if the manifesto/trump connection had been released at the time of his original post I would bet my house that he would have mentioned it. 
    That’s a pretty concrete interpretation and not my point at all. My point relates to the influence that Trump and other politicians have on such behaviour, which is a very reasonable thing to comment on. 
    mcgruff10 said:

That’s a pretty concrete interpretation and not my point at all. My point relates to the influence that Trump and other politicians have on such behaviour, which is a very reasonable thing to comment on. 
    Its a fair point. I’m unsure what I think really. I thinks it’s a bit dangerous to lay blame on trump and think if he wasn’t around all would be well.

Lots if factors:
    1) Guns
    2) The nationalism trend (trump included$
    3) Muslim terorists
    4) Christian terrorists
    i could go on and on.

i think guns is a good place to start. Voting out idiots like trump is a good other step. And then we need to come to terms with religion and the shit it brings. And if you are a part of it you own part of the problem. If you don’t do anything you are part of the problem. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Halifax, you must send your T's and P's before criticizing a man spouts xenophobic rhetoric daily helping foster and normalize such nationalism
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited March 2019
    Smellyman said:
    Halifax, you must send your T's and P's before criticizing a man spouts xenophobic rhetoric daily helping foster and normalize such nationalism
    Post one: a link to a news article about a shooting in New Zealand
    Post two: a comment about what Trump will do about it
    Post three: a comment about what Trump did about it
    Post four: a comment about what Trump's comments symbolize to the world

It's fair and reasonable to say that a conversation about a shooting should at least be allowed to exist about a shooting for some amount of time (preferably more than 'no' time) before it, like most other threads, inevitably gets related to Trump and veers the conversation into a new direction.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    benjs said:
    Smellyman said:

It's fair and reasonable to say that a conversation about a shooting should at least be allowed to exist about a shooting for some amount of time (preferably more than 'no' time) before it, like most other threads, inevitably gets related to Trump and veers the conversation into a new direction.
    And the OP could have started that conversation by posting a comment along with their link to the horror. And, are there now rules about when or at what point a poster’s comments are deemed appropriate, knowing the OP lacked any comments at all? It’s not lost on some of us that the US has no moral leadership at this point in time and, was my post more moronic than that of Team Trump Treason’s first tweet regarding the horror? A link to Breitbart with no further comment? Normalization is well entrenched. Give it five and a half more years and see what that gets you (you in the general sense).

And for clarity purposes, the second post wasn’t about what Team Trump Treason would do about it, but rather, what he would say about it. Would he condemn it? Stick up for Muslims in some way, shape or form? No, it was to link to Breitbart with no comments at all. Disgusting.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    team trump treason
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    I was horrified to find out that this mass murderer was born and raised in an Australian country town not far from where I live.  I hope he rots in hell.  
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    can we not post about Trump in here? FFS
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    can we not post about Trump in here? FFS
    Agree!  Post your Trump crap elsewhere please and have some respect for those innocent people who lost their lives in NZ yesterday.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    New Zealand.  That just doesn't make sense, does it?  I mean- what do I know- I've never been there but I've know several people who have and it just doesn't make sense.  I guess there are crazy people everywhere.  Sad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Being a New Zealander and originally from Christchurch where this heinous attack took place, (though I now live in the North Island, in Auckland), a lot of me and my friends have been saying that it was only a matter of time before something like this happens in NZ. The reason an extreme attack of this kind has happened here is because we ARE a peaceful nation, innocent and faraway from the vast majority of extremist violent activity AND the terrorist-murderer KNEW this and he knew this would get the attention he so dearly wanted. To shock and scare people, disrupt lives and bring fear.

We're just completely devastated at the extent of this disgusting act, Christchurch was decimated by earthquakes 8 years ago and they've been slowly rebuilding the city, slowly getting things back to some kind of normal, now this happens here?! It's just a real kick in the guts for the community, Christchurch and New Zealand in general will never be the same.

My heart goes out to all of NZ's Muslim communities - stay strong, stay safe, we are one people, one nation.

Kia Kaha.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    brianlux said:
    New Zealand.  That just doesn't make sense, does it?  I mean- what do I know- I've never been there but I've know several people who have and it just doesn't make sense.  I guess there are crazy people everywhere.  Sad.
    Dude is Australian. Bought legally in NZ.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Born and raised in a country town not far from where I live .. he left there in 2011 and had been travelling abroad.  It's all over our local news.  Everyone is horrified. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    E.K said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Born and raised in a country town not far from where I live .. he left there in 2011 and had been travelling abroad.  It's all over our local news.  Everyone is horrified. 
    Welcome to our world ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited March 2019
    E.K said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Welcome to our world ...
    No thanks .. an Australian going nuts in New Zealand and killing 49 innocent people in a Mosque will never be my world. 

Post edited by E.K on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    E.K said:
    E.K said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Welcome to our world ...
    No thanks .. an Australian going nuts in New Zealand and killing 49 innocent people in a Mosque will never be my world. 

We live it every yr here and it ain’t gonna stop these events are common place here in America , my condolences to everyone affected by this massacre ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I don't think the mad man is going to achieve the discourse in the US he so desires.  Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing, but happening on the other side of the world in the middle of the night before a weekend ... this sad story will be a footnote in the media by Monday morning.  
    benjs said:
    Smellyman said:

And the OP could have started that conversation by posting a comment along with their link to the horror. And, are there now rules about when or at what point a poster’s comments are deemed appropriate, knowing the OP lacked any comments at all? It’s not lost on some of us that the US has no moral leadership at this point in time and, was my post more moronic than that of Team Trump Treason’s first tweet regarding the horror? A link to Breitbart with no further comment? Normalization is well entrenched. Give it five and a half more years and see what that gets you (you in the general sense).

And for clarity purposes, the second post wasn’t about what Team Trump Treason would do about it, but rather, what he would say about it. Would he condemn it? Stick up for Muslims in some way, shape or form? No, it was to link to Breitbart with no comments at all. Disgusting.
    Oh c’mon you make posts with links and no comment other than one of your standard one liners a bunch.

Im surprised to see you commenting on someone else.  I really wish I had access to the data here, I wonder how many of your posts include “trump” or some version of it.

Regardless, I thinks it fair to talk about the words used by trump and it’s connection to this shooting. I would think we might do that later,  but it seems reasonable eventually. Then again it’s an open forum (well open except you gotta pay and you can only say mean things about trump and people that don’t show enough hatred for trump on a consistent basis), so people can post what they want. But to argue that you don’t make everything about trump is kinda strange based on your posting history.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2019
    Hi! said:
    Cannot say I blame him, I’d probably punch someone in the face if they came up behind me and bashed an egg over my head too, lol

mcgruff10 said:

Its a fair point. I’m unsure what I think really. I thinks it’s a bit dangerous to lay blame on trump and think if he wasn’t around all would be well.

Lots if factors:
    1) Guns
    2) The nationalism trend (trump included$
    3) Muslim terorists
    4) Christian terrorists
    i could go on and on.

i think guns is a good place to start. Voting out idiots like trump is a good other step. And then we need to come to terms with religion and the shit it brings. And if you are a part of it you own part of the problem. If you don’t do anything you are part of the problem. 
    I’m not laying blame solely on Trump or saying if he wasn’t around all would be well. Look at UKIP, look at AfG, look at so many other parties around the world in places that should know better but have forgotten. Political strategies that were only spoken by fringe candidates, if at all, are now mainstream. 

These incidents of terrorism appear grassroots but they’re not, really. They have the tacit approval of governments. 

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited March 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    Hi! said:
    Cannot say I blame him, I’d probably punch someone in the face if they came up behind me and bashed an egg over my head too, lol

I agree for the most part. I would have some hesitation swinging on a kid. I don’t know. As an adult an elected official maybe he should of taken the high road. The kid didn’t back down after getting socked though. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022