Ethiopian Airlines flight crashes, all 157 on board killed, including 18 Canadians

13»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Just to add I have become a anxiety ridden flyer as I get older, but the Airbus A350 is the go to if I can.  Super quiet, super smooth like you're not even moving.  I will fly that option every time if I could.
    My wife will be taking an Airbus to Alaska this weekend on Alaska Air lines which has one of the best safety records of all airlines.  Those factors will save several of my finger nails while she is flying.
    I like Alaska Air a lot. In my experience, they are actually the best airline to fly with to the US overall, in terms of procedure, service, efficiency, etc.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Just to add I have become a anxiety ridden flyer as I get older, but the Airbus A350 is the go to if I can.  Super quiet, super smooth like you're not even moving.  I will fly that option every time if I could.
    My wife will be taking an Airbus to Alaska this weekend on Alaska Air lines which has one of the best safety records of all airlines.  Those factors will save several of my finger nails while she is flying.
    Just up her life insurance and enjoy the ride!  Win-Win.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Ouch!
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Smellyman said:
    So do you actually book trips based on which plane is doing the route, and if so, how do you find that out at the time? I have to say, I book on convenience and cost. 
    Absolutely,  I fly mostly Cathay and EVA between Hong Kong, Taipei and points around.  I know the planes.

I will say after living in Asia so long, flying US or Europe sucks balls.  Asian airlines are a million times better.  From schedules to customer service to food to everything.  I hate flying anything else.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    I like Alaska Air a lot. In my experience, they are actually the best airline to fly with to the US overall, in terms of procedure, service, efficiency, etc.
    Nice!
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,930
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Nice!
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

Man, you're a good sport :) 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Nice!
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

I'm remaining calm and maintaining composure but if I ever meet Cincy I might have to...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Nice!
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

I'm remaining calm and maintaining composure but if I ever meet Cincy I might have to...

Is that seriously the first joke about life insurance you've ever heard?  I'm starting to think my friends are assholes. ;)

hippiemom = goodness
    Lol. My friends make them too, all the time. My married couple friends joke all the time about how she is worth more dead than alive. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2019
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Nice!
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

Is that seriously the first joke about life insurance you've ever heard?  I'm starting to think my friends are assholes. ;)

Not at all.  You should hear all the times my wife has threatened to take out more life insurance policies on me.  Good God, you'd think she believes I'm reckless or getting old! 

Oh yeah?

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Wait until someone hacks in and takes one of these planes down...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Never thought of that but I suppose it could be done. 

brianlux said:
    They claim newer cars can be hacked, so I suppose planes can be hacked as well.

That's why I have no interest in self-driving cars...things like cars, planes, trains and what not should remain offline.  These corporations that push this technology will tell us we have nothing to worry about, of course, they will tell us this 2 days after a massive data breach...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:

That's why I have no interest in self-driving cars...things like cars, planes, trains and what not should remain offline.  These corporations that push this technology will tell us we have nothing to worry about, of course, they will tell us this 2 days after a massive data breach...
    THIS

I always thought it was crazy that there is wifi on a plane.  If the avionics are run through a VPN I would think that they could still be hacked into.
    edited March 2019
    brianlux said:

A lot of this will have to do with data architecture.

For example, the way that Apple permits authentication to devices that law enforcement (or even Apple themselves) can't get into is by having a secure enclave which can only return a binary "correct" or "incorrect" based on a fingerprint scan or facial scan, which sends that signal to the phone, which is always looking for a "correct" prior to permitting entrance to the operating system. Because that enclave is not internet connected even, hacking is effectively not an option. This is why Apple users have to authenticate their fingerprints/faces on each device, which is an incredibly clever design. 

Something like this could mitigate the risk of hacking, but I suspect it'll be really challenging to make it hacker-proof for self-driving cars because the car would need to receive instructions from the internet. That would keep it pretty susceptible.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

For example, the way that Apple permits authentication to devices that law enforcement (or even Apple themselves) can't get into is by having a secure enclave which can only return a binary "correct" or "incorrect" based on a fingerprint scan or facial scan, which sends that signal to the phone, which is always looking for a "correct" prior to permitting entrance to the operating system. Because that enclave is not internet connected even, hacking is effectively not an option. This is why Apple users have to authenticate their fingerprints/faces on each device, which is an incredibly clever design. 

Something like this could mitigate the risk of hacking, but I suspect it'll be really challenging to make it hacker-proof for self-driving cars because the car would need to receive instructions from the internet. That would keep it pretty susceptible.
    I love it that there are people like you who can understand this stuff, Ben!

brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

I've always been a nerd - it's in my blood :) 

EV
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

Nothing wrong with that!  :smile:

• benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

Revenge of the Benjs
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks for the explanation. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Safety features should not be optional, but still why buy an airplane without all the safety features??
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Safety features should not be optional, but still why buy an airplane without all the safety features??
    Good question... that any of this was possible is appalling IMO.