Options

Ethiopian Airlines flight crashes, all 157 on board killed, including 18 Canadians

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Ethiopian Airlines flight crashes, all 157 on board killed, including 18 Canadians

Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    :(
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The shits.

One of my worst nightmares.

Absolutely powerless to change your fate- plummeting to the earth and destined for death. Those people’s last moments would have been horrific.

I’ll be white knuckling to Maui in a week. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    The shits.

Absolutely powerless to change your fate- plummeting to the earth and destined for death. Those people’s last moments would have been horrific.

Safe travels ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    RIP to all those that perished..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The shits.

Safe travels ..
    Thank you
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    How sad. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    The shits.

Just don't fly russian airlines and you'll be fine.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    The shits.

My mom's a little shook up, she took that same flight last year.

All I can hope for is that the plane lost altitude rapidly so those on-board passed out before impact. May they rest in peace.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    This is a brand new Boeing 737 Max jet and it's the second one that has crashed shortly after takeoff since they started flying them a few years ago. 

Sometimes when I'm taking a short flight and I see that the plane is so old that the ash-trays from years past are welded shut in the arms I get a little concerned but then I remind myself that it must be a pretty reliable plane if they are still flying them.  This new Boeing 737 Max, based on flight time logged is the most dangerous plane you could possibly step onto right now. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    The shits.

There are alternatives.  I can't find the link right now but I once Google mapped "San Francisco to Hawaii" via "walking".  The map directed me to walk to Seattle and from there to kayak from Seattle to Oahu. 

Just a thought.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
  • Options
    If this is any consolation, I have read that the safest time to fly is the time after a major accident, airlines are extra vigilante in maintaining safe fleets.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    So many talented and dedicated people lost when the flight went down. 

19 U.N. Workers Were Among the Victims in Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crash  
    https://nyti.ms/2tYhRgb
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    If this is any consolation, I have read that the safest time to fly is the time after a major accident, airlines are extra vigilante in maintaining safe fleets.
    Better yet, after three major accidents.  My father was an aeronautical engineer and a big part of his job was basically working as a liaison between a major U.S. airline and Boeing.  Every time a major accident occurred he would mention  that it was likely that two more would follow.  He was often correct.

I got tired of the guessing game and took my last flight about 30 years ago.  Yes, I would paddle to Hawaii before I would fly there again.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    brianlux said:
    Better yet, after three major accidents.  My father was an aeronautical engineer and a big part of his job was basically working as a liaison between a major U.S. airline and Boeing.  Every time a major accident occurred he would mention  that it was likely that two more would follow.  He was often correct.

I got tired of the guessing game and took my last flight about 30 years ago.  Yes, I would paddle to Hawaii before I would fly there again.
    I’m kinda surprised by your unwillingness to fly. Do you drive a car? 

You have a 1-11million chance of dying on a plane.

1-5000 chance in a car

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    westjet still flying all of theirs in their fleet. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:

1-5000 chance in a car

I fly, but I guess the way I look at it, in a car I at least have way more control over my fate than the 0% control I have if something goes wrong in a plane. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:

You are not the only one that hates flying, I have a cousin that says "he'll never get into those flying death machines"...LOL

I will fly, I but I hate to flying, from the minute I get to the airport to the minute I exit the arrival airport is not an enjoyable experience.

I'd much rather drive than use any mass transit anymore...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

1-5000 chance in a car

I fly, but I guess the way I look at it, in a car I at least have way more control over my fate than the 0% control I have if something goes wrong in a plane. 
    But you don't really.  There are people monitoring air traffic and keeping people in their "lanes".  Cars...lots of people driving next to you reading text messages, etc. ;)

Plane crashes usually happen due to equipment errors.  Which don't happen often.  Car crashes usually happen due to user error...sometimes with environmental issues added.  

I get the feeling of control, it's why I feel better driving then riding in the passenger seat often! 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I actually think a lot of it is you are far more likely to survive a car crash. But you are still far more likely to die in a car then in a plane.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I actually think a lot of it is you are far more likely to survive a car crash. But you are still far more likely to die in a car then in a plane.
    yes, there's no such thing as a fender bender in a plane. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Boeing Max 8: Growing number of countries ground plane after fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash

https://globalnews.ca/news/5042684/ethiopian-airlines-boeing-737-max-8/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNational&fbclid=IwAR1CglFK2hHKuUBbqs00vV63QmBYqDyz-
    rD9yA5h3pV7D06GEOgnRBsmPmg

A spokesman for Ethiopian Airlines, Asrat Begashaw, said the carrier had grounded its remaining four 737 Max 8 planes until further notice as an “extra safety precaution.”

The airline had been using five new 737 Max 8s and awaiting delivery of 25 more. Asrat said the search for body parts and debris from the crash was continuing.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    The shits.

Seriously. I'm really scared to fly now. I never used to be, but then I was in a "close call" personally, and ever since then I've been very worried about being a plane crash. It used to be fun, and now it's just SUCKS. I know what the low odds are, which is why I'm still willing to step foot on a plane, but that doesn't stop me from knowing it absolutely could happen to me - all I need is some bad timing/luck.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
  • Options

I would not fly on this plane until they figure out the cause.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    The shits.

Seriously. I'm really scared to fly now. I never used to be, but then I was in a "close call" personally, and ever since then I've been very worried about being a plane crash. It used to be fun, and now it's just SUCKS. I know what the low odds are, which is why I'm still willing to step foot on a plane, but that doesn't stop me from knowing it absolutely could happen to me - all I need is some bad timing/luck.
    I'm not afraid of flying.  It's the hassle to fly anymore.  I wonder if I'm the only one.  My very first flight was Detroit-Chicago-LA, we were about to touchdown and all of sudden the pilot has us airborne again, he comes on the PA and says "sorry folks, too much traffic on the runway"...people were gasping, my wife had this stunned look, and I said "this happens a lot".  It did not bother me, but I wanted her to feel comfortable flying...I always wondered what he meant to much traffic on the runway...I am thinking he meant congested and planes were taxiing to their gates.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    The shits.

I'm not afraid of flying.  It's the hassle to fly anymore.  I wonder if I'm the only one.  My very first flight was Detroit-Chicago-LA, we were about to touchdown and all of sudden the pilot has us airborne again, he comes on the PA and says "sorry folks, too much traffic on the runway"...people were gasping, my wife had this stunned look, and I said "this happens a lot".  It did not bother me, but I wanted her to feel comfortable flying...I always wondered what he meant to much traffic on the runway...I am thinking he meant congested and planes were taxiing to their gates.
    I couldn't care less about that - there are now so many ways to keep entertained during delays. I don't know why anyone would be horrified by taxi way delays unless they are late for a wedding or a job interview or something, and in most cases, they should have and could have planned better to avoid that problem.
    I have been in planes where the pilot said, "we are 42nd in line for taxi"... if there is just one unexpected problem on one plane in queue or whatever, the schedule gets backed up quickly and badly. Yes, it happens all the time. People should factor in the possibility when making plans.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Nothing better than hopping in my Jeep and taking a road trip...much better than sitting in noisy congested airports...by the way...it was on landing when the pilot had to take off again.  I think a plane trying to land should not have other planes on the runway...just my opinion...don't you.  I mean comparing planes leaving their gates to a plane landing is silly...big difference between landing and taxiing to the runway...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Nothing better than hopping in my Jeep and taking a road trip...much better than sitting in noisy congested airports...by the way...it was on landing when the pilot had to take off again.  I think a plane trying to land should not have other planes on the runway...just my opinion...don't you.  I mean comparing planes leaving their gates to a plane landing is silly...big difference between landing and taxiing to the runway...

Not that big a difference. It's just a different version of "shit happened and we all have to accommodate it."