2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    Alice in chains touring with Korn. Ughhhh.....I cant do it.
    Same here.  I might suck it up and buy a cheap ticket and leave after AIC's set though since I'm guessing Korn will play last.  I havn't decided yet. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    JojoRice said:
    Same here.  I might suck it up and buy a cheap ticket and leave after AIC's set though since I'm guessing Korn will play last.  I havn't decided yet. 
    I hear ya, but Korn puts on a good live show.  Still....I'd rather another club run from AiC. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    PSUS2H said:
    JojoRice said:
    I hear ya, but Korn puts on a good live show.  Still....I'd rather another club run from AiC. 
    This is true  like them or not, you’ll be entertained. 
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    FM radio in CO this morning said pearl jam is doing Wrigley and Fenway in 2019. Unless i was tripping out, thats what i heard. Thinking theyre wrong though. Must have their info fucked up. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    1 rumor squashed and another begins.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    FM radio in CO this morning said pearl jam is doing Wrigley and Fenway in 2019. Unless i was tripping out, thats what i heard. Thinking theyre wrong though. Must have their info fucked up. 
    I don't see that happening but would love to be proven wrong though. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    JojoRice said:

The only band on the planet I am willing to sit nose bleeds  for begins with a P and ends with an m.

(Jeez i almost typed J there)
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    JojoRice said:
    I don't see that happening but would love to be proven wrong though. 

Seems like we've seen these shows on summer repeats before. Id certainly love it but cmon with the same ancient stadiums already.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    If Wrigley, can we do a weekend that is not late August?    Every damn time its the same night as the first day of school haha. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,541
    Friend of a friend of a friend also heard Wrigley again over the weekend, but I'm highly skeptical.  Maybe its just venue "holds" in case an album and tour materializes soon.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    I would love for Wrigley every August to become a thing.  

Sure you can say it would get old, but at this point,  having 2-3 guaranteed shows every year would be awesome.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    I would love for Wrigley every August to become a thing.  

Sure you can say it would get old, but at this point,  having 2-3 guaranteed shows every year would be awesome.  
    PJ shows > no PJ shows. 

Arenas would be the obvious choice but if I need to fly to Wrigley to see the band I will do it. I do think that fatigue would set in for a lot of people though. 
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 570
    edited February 2019
    my2hands said:
    Old and dusty rock band with an old and dusty catalog

They used to be the best band on the planet... it's a shame they aren't interested in being that any more... they have just become a group of guys that get together once in a while to cash in and play songs they recorded 20+ years ago

Oh well, nothing lasts forever 
    I've posted a few times about the band's lack of productivity over the last several years.  I've been highly critical of them, feeling like they may be keeping the "Pearl Jam machine" alive simply for the $$$.  As with most things, there's a ton of different ways to look at it. 

For one, you can say it's their band and they can do whatever the hell they want.  Fair enough.  Obviously that's what's happening :)  If this band was keeping the "machine" alive just for the money, I guess there are still positives.  It's still fun to see them live (though I think it's like seeing a nostalgia act with shitloads of merch rather than an inspiring night seeing a driven artist with something to prove).  They raise a lot of money for terrific causes.  Uhhh... crap, I think I'm running out of positives.

I remember during the Lightning Bolt interviews, Stone said the time between albums was probably going to be more of the new normal (in response to a Steve Gleason question).  That seems now like a rare moment of truth-telling.  The time between albums probably has some reasons that are clear (in their 50's, families, other outlets, etc.) and some that are not so clear (ex: the PJ creative force is just plain dead).  For me, I just wish there was transparency with their operation.  Ed saying something at the Hall of Fame induction about being about "halfway there" in terms of earning that recognition... that's such bullshit.  Most of us are wondering if and when we'll get one more album, let alone ten more if you're "halfway there".  "Can't Deny Me" being from the "forthcoming album" was weird too.  If it's truly from a future album, jesus, it's like showing a movie trailer 2 years before the movie opens... an average trailer at that... how many of you are with me, thinking that song would've been suitable for a holiday 45 that they're wayyyyyy behind on?

From a purely fan vantage point, focusing on legacy, I admire bands like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin that completely skipped out on the whole nostalgia thing.  They gave you a decade of greatness and were gone.  And at least those bands waited until they were done to start emptying out the vaults and re-releasing their old shit.  The PJ productivity has slowed to a crawl, the shows are in huge ballparks worthy of a Stones show... and like my2hands mentioned, the overwhelming majority of songs played are from 20+ years ago.  What is that if not nostagia?  Or a money grab?  And the fan club shit from the last few years, i.e. not delivering on what you've promised, is absolute bullshit and goes against everything this band ever said about being fan friendly.  How'd that song go, is it better to fade away than to burn out?
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Tough to argue with anything you just posted there^^^, though I still very much enjoy the old songs at shows, but they could mix in a lot of other newer songs any given night instead of MYM, Lightning Bolt, Just Breathe, etc.  
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    I would do Fenway and Wrigley again because I would go just about anywhere int he US to see them at this point...
    But could you maybe do all different songs if your going to do the same thing every year?

Having the same songs repeat 2 nights in a row is shit too.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    Friend of a friend of a friend also heard Wrigley again over the weekend, but I'm highly skeptical.  Maybe its just venue "holds" in case an album and tour materializes soon.
    I know thats what the dude on the radio said, i was definitely high on my way to work, but not that high. I think he must have had bad info though. Guess we’ll see eventually.
  • When else can they they get out of playing them venues again. Why not the gorge or something. Unless it's a new lp it's pointless.  

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • RS65573 said:
    I would do Fenway and Wrigley again because I would go just about anywhere int he US to see them at this point...
    But could you maybe do all different songs if your going to do the same thing every year?

Thats a big frustration for me too: why do they repeat songs when they play a venue 2 nights in a row 
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 570
    RS65573 said:

Thats a big frustration for me too: why do they repeat songs when they play a venue 2 nights in a row 
    As critical as I've been with this band, this is one argument I don't get.  Pearl Jam does as good, if not better, than every band out there in changing up the setlist.  What specific shows are you talking about?

You have to realize not the same people go to both shows.  And even if you're at both shows, how many are they repeating?  My guess is 8 or less... can't be more than 25%, is it?  When PJ opened for Petty in 2006, PJ had an enormously different setlists both nights while Petty might've changed one song.  
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    wnh1977 said:
    RS65573 said:

As critical as I've been with this band, this is one argument I don't get.  Pearl Jam does as good, if not better, than every band out there in changing up the setlist.  What specific shows are you talking about?

You have to realize not the same people go to both shows.  And even if you're at both shows, how many are they repeating?  My guess is 8 or less... can't be more than 25%, is it?  When PJ opened for Petty in 2006, PJ had an enormously different setlists both nights while Petty might've changed one song.  
    I will say the sets have become formulaic for sure. 
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Oh Christ. Do you guys even go to other shows? Standard fare is the exact same setlist, screen show and even the same fucking banter every night of the tour.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,434
    Why doesn't the band just play two nights at Alpine Valley and everyone can meet up in the middle just like we did eight years ago.

Then record a new album this year and release it with a major tour in 2020. Sound good?
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Their set lists are definitely not as varied as everyone thinks. They play the same core bunch of songs in different spots. (For the most part).  Their second set unfortunately has become predictable and some would say even boring. (I am done with alive/rocking)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited February 2019
    Mike D88 said:
    Oh Christ. Do you guys even go to other shows? Standard fare is the exact same setlist, screen show and even the same fucking banter every night of the tour.

And most of the "banter" is a story about the song.

Yes, Pearl Jam mixes it up...but could they do so more? Of course.

The standard PJ setlist:
    The first 3-8 songs are slow ones.
    Even Flow in the 8-12 spot.
    End the first set with Porch or RVM
    The first encore begins slow
    The first encore ends with RVM or Porch
    The second encore is some combination of Alive, Once, Crazy Mary, Free World, Indifference, YLed.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Mike D88 said:
    THIS! I saw Metallica twice in a two month period it 80% was the same exact show, which was mostly a greatest hits style performance.  

They were still great shows, but the element of surprise was largely lost. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    eboweddie said:
    When else can they they get out of playing them venues again. Why not the gorge or something. Unless it's a new lp it's pointless.  
    Please come back to the Gorge!!!

• Mike D88 said:
    That's not the point.  We are not flying all over the country (or world) to see those other bands.  We understand Pearl Jam is the exception in terms of set lists, but reality is we are spoiled and their sets have become somewhat predictable (by their own standards).  
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited February 2019
    One of my biggest issues has become with songs like Alive. I consider this to be one of my all-time favourite songs (by any band, not just PJ) but I hate don't appreciate it at a concert! Why? Because it indicates that the show's about to end and I get a bit bummed out. Now don't get me wrong, I get the whole "Don't be sad it's over, just be glad it happened" school-of-thought but it'd be nice to hear such an epic song and know that (a lot) more is to come - aside from RITFW and YLB, of course!

(Similar feeling about Porch and RVM - great tunes but ...) 
    Post edited by rummy on
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    ...I guess at the end of the day, I feel they are killing their war horses and underplaying epic songs like Last Exit, Hail Hail, Faithfull, etc.
    Mike D88 said:
    Of course I go to plenty of shows. And yes, fixed sets are the norm. But I’m not setting those low standards for PJ.