Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Smellyman said:
    Oh Blessed be thy Bezos.  We are not worthy.  How can we appease thee?
    Seems like a 'you' problem, not a Bezos one.  He's no different than Gates or any other once in a generation innovator.  
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    mrussel1 said:
    Smellyman said:
    Oh Blessed be thy Bezos.  We are not worthy.  How can we appease thee?
    Seems like a 'you' problem, not a Bezos one.  He's no different than Gates or any other once in a generation innovator.  
    Someone seems pretty jealous. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OK so I knock the fact that Amazon coming here would have driven prices of things through the roof in the surrounding areas.

I can't get past all the big paying jobs and tax revenue that would have come from those people though.

If Ocasio wants money to be spread around and make it green then she missed out on a huge opportunity.  She could have worked with Amazon's team and built a LEED certified building(s) right there in  LIC even though it's not her district.
  • Options
    OK so I knock the fact that Amazon coming here would have driven prices of things through the roof in the surrounding areas.

I can't get past all the big paying jobs and tax revenue that would have come from those people though.

If Ocasio wants money to be spread around and make it green then she missed out on a huge opportunity.  She could have worked with Amazon's team and built a LEED certified building(s) right there in  LIC even though it's not her district.
    You bring up another point that hasn't been discussed.  All of the construction work for the HQ2, renovated buildings, subway, etc. would have been a host of new jobs, all union probably.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

You bring up another point that hasn't been discussed.  All of the construction work for the HQ2, renovated buildings, subway, etc. would have been a host of new jobs, all union probably.  
    The subways there are a mess and still need to be addressed though.

I did read that 10 billion on buildings in that area.

That is some serious coin.

That is 10 years of construction.

Bad thing is most of LIC was done by non-union.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

What do you mean?  LIC construction would have been non-union?  I would have thought Queens construction work would be heavily unionized; all the boroughs in fact.  
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Need has nothing to do with it.  A company has a duty to its shareholders and employees to charge the price where supply meets demand.  Not to charge the minimum to stay in business.  It's not a non-profit.  Regarding transparency, just because you don't fucking know doesn't mean Deblasio and Cuomo didn't know, or the other members of the state negotiating with the deal.  I hardly think this is the reason the deal fell apart even if you care about it.  
    Regarding FEDERAL taxes (which don't help the New Yorkers), I'm not defending the federal corporate tax structure.  But that has zero to do with any of this.  It's a competitive landscape.  Amazon chose NY for lots of reasons.  They surely could have got an even better tax deal from KS, AR or any number of states.  But now, because of the over the top rhetoric of AOC and the rest of her band of idiots, the jobs will go somewhere else.  Amazon isn't leaving the US, they aren't going to stop negotiating for tax rebates, and they aren't going to become pro-union because of this either.  But hey, again, great win for AOC.  Her genius is just shining through.  I guess she slept through her 4000 level econ courses.  
    If “need has nothing to do with it,” why the fuck are they asking for it? They can spend their own damn  money to bless the residents of NY with their jobs. I hope folks have fun listening to the wind in KS. Start ups need the grease, billionaire individuals and corporations do not. And we’ll see if AOC gets re-elected or not, her sleeping habits notwithstanding.                                                                                          

We've been through this.... it's fiduciary duty to the shareholders.   3 billion in incentives between now and 2028 and 20 billion in tax dollars paid.  Make me that ratio deal on any amount, and you have a deal.  But AOC can keep pushing for $15 min wage while pushing out $58 per hour.  
    I'm tired of this conversation, but it was interesting.  Thanks.  We'll see the next thing she does to put herself on front page.  
    Yup, agree to disagree. I believe human welfare should take priority over corporate welfare and that share holders shouldn’t be subsidized. To each their own.
    The reason people or companies or governments make deals is because they feel their gain over time will be greater than their concessions. It's not a politician in NYC's responsibility to make sure Amazon is paying what they 'morally should'; it's a politician's responsibility to make sure that if Amazon offers a deal, they assure that a deal's only accepted if it's a net benefit for the community, and that it can and should bear the concessions for that future - with no bias against a company simply because it's 'really big' unless that's truly relevant to the value to/from the community. It's also a politician's responsibility to propose better laws if they feel the advantages large corporations have are unfounded.

It's nice to put moral expectations on a company, but unless you're ready to boycott the company when they don't behave the way you want, how are you going to threaten their power and force a change? Unless you're ready to boycott the company, in which case kudos to you. 

Maybe there should be LEED-esque human welfare compliance standards where companies can strive for an A+ workplace kind of thing. I'd participate in that.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

What do you mean?  LIC construction would have been non-union?  I would have thought Queens construction work would be heavily unionized; all the boroughs in fact.  
    It is something that a bunch of the unions talk about.  There was a big private building push in LIC and the unions, many of them, didn't fight or try to get in on them.  They had WTC and Hudson yards being built(still going on) so the term "everybody is eating" come to mind.

Midtown Manhattan is still being built up too so there is a bunch of work that is union but all of LIC wasn't.

The one main presence of union work in LIC was crane operators.  The lock that they have on the industry is impressive.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Need has nothing to do with it.  A company has a duty to its shareholders and employees to charge the price where supply meets demand.  Not to charge the minimum to stay in business.  It's not a non-profit.  Regarding transparency, just because you don't fucking know doesn't mean Deblasio and Cuomo didn't know, or the other members of the state negotiating with the deal.  I hardly think this is the reason the deal fell apart even if you care about it.  
    Regarding FEDERAL taxes (which don't help the New Yorkers), I'm not defending the federal corporate tax structure.  But that has zero to do with any of this.  It's a competitive landscape.  Amazon chose NY for lots of reasons.  They surely could have got an even better tax deal from KS, AR or any number of states.  But now, because of the over the top rhetoric of AOC and the rest of her band of idiots, the jobs will go somewhere else.  Amazon isn't leaving the US, they aren't going to stop negotiating for tax rebates, and they aren't going to become pro-union because of this either.  But hey, again, great win for AOC.  Her genius is just shining through.  I guess she slept through her 4000 level econ courses.  
    If “need has nothing to do with it,” why the fuck are they asking for it? They can spend their own damn  money to bless the residents of NY with their jobs. I hope folks have fun listening to the wind in KS. Start ups need the grease, billionaire individuals and corporations do not. And we’ll see if AOC gets re-elected or not, her sleeping habits notwithstanding.                                                                                          

We've been through this.... it's fiduciary duty to the shareholders.   3 billion in incentives between now and 2028 and 20 billion in tax dollars paid.  Make me that ratio deal on any amount, and you have a deal.  But AOC can keep pushing for $15 min wage while pushing out $58 per hour.  
    I'm tired of this conversation, but it was interesting.  Thanks.  We'll see the next thing she does to put herself on front page.  
    Yup, agree to disagree. I believe human welfare should take priority over corporate welfare and that share holders shouldn’t be subsidized. To each their own.
    The reason people or companies or governments make deals is because they feel their gain over time will be greater than their concessions. It's not a politician in NYC's responsibility to make sure Amazon is paying what they 'morally should'; it's a politician's responsibility to make sure that if Amazon offers a deal, they assure that a deal's only accepted if it's a net benefit for the community, and that it can and should bear the concessions for that future - with no bias against a company simply because it's 'really big' unless that's truly relevant to the value to/from the community. It's also a politician's responsibility to propose better laws if they feel the advantages large corporations have are unfounded.

It's nice to put moral expectations on a company, but unless you're ready to boycott the company when they don't behave the way you want, how are you going to threaten their power and force a change? Unless you're ready to boycott the company, in which case kudos to you. 

Maybe there should be LEED-esque human welfare compliance standards where companies can strive for an A+ workplace kind of thing. I'd participate in that.
    There is a publication that tracks the 50, 100 best places to work in.

Imagine if there were incentives to achieve that A+ ratings?  Man that would be something else.

Tech companies seem to be doing that.

I was in the LinkedIn part of the Empire State Building and they treat their employees well.  

Nicely stocked cafeteria was the best part for me.  I was also the oldest person in there by 15 years easily.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Remember when Rosanne Barr lost her show because of words said about Valerie Jarrett. She seemed to be able to keep relatively quiet since then. She's baaaaack, and off the rails:

Roseanne Barr calls Ocasio-Cortez 'Farrakhan loving,' 'bug-eyed bitch'

"That green new deal that that Farrakhan-loving bitch," Barr said in a video posted on her YouTube page earlier this week, referring to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan. "I don’t even remember her name. The bug-eyed bitch that looks like a realtor. She got them realtor eyes. ... Bug-eyed lying bitch, Farrakhan fan, Israel hater. Lefty. Dumbass, dumbass, dumb as they get."

Man she looks haggard in that video. Ridden hard and put away wet.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    give it about 2 hours. 

#realtoreyes
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    Remember when Rosanne Barr lost her show because of words said about Valerie Jarrett. She seemed to be able to keep relatively quiet since then. She's baaaaack, and off the rails:

"That green new deal that that Farrakhan-loving bitch," Barr said in a video posted on her YouTube page earlier this week, referring to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan. "I don’t even remember her name. The bug-eyed bitch that looks like a realtor. She got them realtor eyes. ... Bug-eyed lying bitch, Farrakhan fan, Israel hater. Lefty. Dumbass, dumbass, dumb as they get."

Ok. She didn’t totally miss the mark. She does have bug-eyes from time to time. She’s a lefty. And...she has done some dumbass things!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    jeffbr said:

I’m not much of a fan of Barr and think she is the last person that should make fun of how someone looks, but “realtor eyes” is hilarious! 😂
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    jeffbr said:

Ok. She didn’t totally miss the mark. She does have bug-eyes from time to time. She’s a lefty. And...she has done some dumbass things!
    I thought we are all supposed to be above making fun of other people's appearances?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    jeffbr said:

I thought we are all supposed to be above making fun of other people's appearances?
    We all should, except if you want to be like Roseanne!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711

So they claim.  But the lady is not putting up with that shit:

"Ocasio-Cortez said in tweets early Thursay that the billboard was sponsored by "billionaire-funded groups" advocating "dark money & anti-worker policies" she's fighting against.

"Few things effectively communicate the power we've built in fighting dark money & anti-worker policies like billionaire-funded groups blowing tons of cash on wack billboards (this one is funded by the Mercers)," she said, adding, "(PS fact that it's in Times Sq tells you this isn't for/by NYers.)"

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Kicking ass, taking names...

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Torched Laura Ingraham Over a ‘Wack Billboard’ Subtweet

The Fox News host peddled an astroturfed billboard in Times Square about the Amazon deal—at her peril
    https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a26444063/aoc-laura-ingraham-amazon-billboard-times-square/

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    dignin said:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Torched Laura Ingraham Over a ‘Wack Billboard’ Subtweet

The Fox News host peddled an astroturfed billboard in Times Square about the Amazon deal—at her peril
    https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a26444063/aoc-laura-ingraham-amazon-billboard-times-square/

So many are falling for the right hit parade though.  Even moderates and left leaning.

lemmings
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    dignin said:

So many are falling for the right hit parade though.  Even moderates and left leaning.

lemmings
    Hey there! I love that she’s speaking truth to power and as 1/435 of a body, she’s striking fear into the hearts of pasty white repubs, even though they all secretly lust. Great theater.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    And you know, if she were illegal, they’d all hire her as a housekeeper and go Strom Thurmond.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    dignin said:

lemmings
    Hey there! I love that she’s speaking truth to power and as 1/435 of a body, she’s striking fear into the hearts of pasty white repubs, even though they all secretly lust. Great theater.
    Truth to power? Hahhhahaha fucking joke right?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    dignin said:

lemmings
    Care to say otherwise? Or hahahahaha, it’s a joke, right?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    dignin said:

lemmings
    How do you know you're not the lemming here?
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    dignin said:

lemmings
    Care to say otherwise? Or hahahahaha, it’s a joke, right?

Yeah you saying truth to power is a joke.  Super funny.  Thanks for the laugh.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Smellyman said:
    dignin said:

lemmings
    How much do you think AOC has to do with Amazon pulling their HQ from NY? If you think she played any real part then you are falling for the right wing propaganda.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    mrussel1 said:
    Smellyman said:
    dignin said:

lemmings

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Smellyman said:
    dignin said:

lemmings
    How much do you think AOC has to do with Amazon pulling their HQ from NY? If you think she played any real part then you are falling for the right wing propaganda.
    But doesn't she even want you to think she played a major role in that too? I mean she was very vocally against it, was happy when it fell through. So how is that right wing propoganda when she was happy to take credit for it herself until some billboards came up?
  • Options
    Point to me where she took credit for it.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    dignin said:
    Point to me where she took credit for it.
    One of her first tweets after the back out:
    "Anything is possible: today was the day a group of dedicated, everyday New Yorkers & their neighbors defeated Amazon’s corporate greed, its worker exploitation, and the power of the richest man in the world." She represented that group. She gave the credit to the resistance groups, a group she helped spearhead. I view that as her taking some credit. 

But even if you don't agree with that, fine, I still don't see how it is right wing propaganda. She was very outspoken against it, even after it fell through she was doubling down on the fact they left. 
    She may have never come out and said "it fell through because of me" but she was one of the most outspoken public officials against it, and then praised the fact that they pulled out.
    So how is believing she had anything to do with it right wing propaganda?