Options

Tax Reform

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Lowest refund of my adult life.  And that includes when I was 18 making $4.75/hr at a part time job.  And no, my paychecks didn't make up for it.  My net pay was a lower % of my gross pay in 2018 than 2017.  Where's my "cut"???  ("Just be glad you didn't owe" is not an acceptable answer.)
    So how much more did you end up paying in taxes?  I haven't done them yet.  I had done some previous work on it and it looked like it would be a decent amount less. At least the first couple of years
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't blame the Dems for using the "lower refund" attack.  It takes advantage of the same ignorance that the GOP has been exploiting for years
    I do. I don’t think one side doing something crappy means it’s ok for you to do it. The “they did it first” argument doesn’t hold water for me much....sometimes I guess. I understand your opinion on this though, and it’s not a terrible offense. It does highlight how stupid people are and how the democrats want to win the stupid vote back! 
    The argument isn't whether the middle class is paying more or less under this plan.  It's that the cut was overwhelmingly weighted towards the wealthy and the corporations.  And that point is indisputable.  The middle class got crumbs and many will pay more, especially those in states with state income taxes. 

You know I find this argument interesting.  Everyone wants a progressive scale for taxes.  And then when it comes to cuts they want it to be progressive again in the opposite direction.  I understand your opinion in this, but again it wasn;t what I was talking about.  I'm specifically talking about idiots that think just because their refund is lower that it automatically means they paid more in taxes.
    I don't know who those people are but i'm sure they exist.  Anyone with a brain would compare the effective tax rate from competing years.  But what's happening now is the cows are coming home.  People didn't see anything material payback to paycheck AND no refund.  It's real now. 

Second,  corp taxes went from 35 to 21. That's a disproportionate change. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't blame the Dems for using the "lower refund" attack.  It takes advantage of the same ignorance that the GOP has been exploiting for years
    I do. I don’t think one side doing something crappy means it’s ok for you to do it. The “they did it first” argument doesn’t hold water for me much....sometimes I guess. I understand your opinion on this though, and it’s not a terrible offense. It does highlight how stupid people are and how the democrats want to win the stupid vote back! 
    The argument isn't whether the middle class is paying more or less under this plan.  It's that the cut was overwhelmingly weighted towards the wealthy and the corporations.  And that point is indisputable.  The middle class got crumbs and many will pay more, especially those in states with state income taxes. 

You know I find this argument interesting.  Everyone wants a progressive scale for taxes.  And then when it comes to cuts they want it to be progressive again in the opposite direction.  I understand your opinion in this, but again it wasn;t what I was talking about.  I'm specifically talking about idiots that think just because their refund is lower that it automatically means they paid more in taxes.
    Keep in mind that a lot of them are correct....many people are definitely paying more.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Keep in mind that a lot of them are correct....many people are definitely paying more.
    It certainly could mean that.  I'm waiting to see.  This could backfire huge on the Republicans.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Another thing that is interesting is the child tax credit doubling for 2018.  I did a return yesterday for a married couple with 5 kids.  Total income $105K...federal tax? $0.  $11,000 refund due to child tax credit plus withholdings.

Reminds me of all of the people bitching about people having more kids to get more welfare.

And just for comparison....their income was up $7000 from 2017 but their total tax was up $2500 before credits.

2017 tax was 7.3%, 2018 tax was 9.2%
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Lowest refund of my adult life.  And that includes when I was 18 making $4.75/hr at a part time job.  And no, my paychecks didn't make up for it.  My net pay was a lower % of my gross pay in 2018 than 2017.  Where's my "cut"???  ("Just be glad you didn't owe" is not an acceptable answer.)
    So how much more did you end up paying in taxes?  I haven't done them yet.  I had done some previous work on it and it looked like it would be a decent amount less. At least the first couple of years
    Subtracting my refunds from paycheck witholdings, I was responsible for about $300 more.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjhawks said:
    and lots of middle class people are bitching already because their tax refunds are lower or even have to pay now.  yet so many thought this guy would help them. idiots.
    You know - tax refund size is a really stupid way to determine if the tax laws have helped or hurt people.  It's only 1 piece of the equation.  
    You're right!  Corporations got to buyback stocks.  While their primary shareholders saw their stock values go up bc they were less diluted.  So it had a doubling effect to hurt poor/middle class, while helping the rich get richer.

But I'm sure you have a perfectly cromulent explanation as to how there's very fine people on both sides here.
    Ummm, that response had nothing to do with my comment.

To figure out if the new tax laws have helped or hurt you, you need to consider if you had additional "take home" pay each paycheck.  Just because your refund is reduced doesn;t mean you paid more taxes.  You may have gotten your $ sooner.  So, this needs a tiny bit deeper dive.  Could still mean people got less, not saying it doesn;t.  But alone it doesn't mean shit. 

I always feel bad for the idiot americans that think a big refund is great...they just gave the US government an interest free loan for a year and they are happy about it.  Dummies.

You know how I know you didn't read the article....?

Back in 2017, as the tax bill moved on the Hill, lawmakers claimed the cut they proposed in the corporate tax rate to 21 percent from 35 percent would trickle down to workers in the form of higher wages and bonuses. 

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported nominal wages increased 3.2 percent in January year over year, and by less than one percent — three cents to $27.56 — month over month. 

Bonuses have registered less of an impact, increasing just 2 cents an hour in the first nine months of 2018.  The increase was "imperceptible," "Whatever growth in bonuses has taken place is not necessarily attributable to the tax cuts, rather than employer efforts to recruit workers in a continued low unemployment environment."

By all accounts, companies poured a hefty portion of the tax windfall into buying back shares, a move designed to at least temporarily boost stock prices, which benefits executives and other large stockholders. 

I feel bad for the idiot Americans who fell for the trickle down promise....again.  Dummies.  
    I’m not talking about wage increase. Is this really that difficult for you to understand? 

The tax cuts were sold on wage increases and bonuses for everyone.  That didn't happen. 

Now you can talk about how you got your money sooner, and maybe people paid more or less.  But it was always sold as a way to boost wages, invest in workers salaries, handout bonuses, blahblahblah. 

In the end, it turned out to be what everyone said it was.  Shuffling around tax schedule for lower/middle class while making the rich richer.  

So go ahead, shift the goalposts.  Tell how wonderful it was to get fucked by the GOP again.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjhawks said:
    and lots of middle class people are bitching already because their tax refunds are lower or even have to pay now.  yet so many thought this guy would help them. idiots.
    You know - tax refund size is a really stupid way to determine if the tax laws have helped or hurt people.  It's only 1 piece of the equation.  
    You're right!  Corporations got to buyback stocks.  While their primary shareholders saw their stock values go up bc they were less diluted.  So it had a doubling effect to hurt poor/middle class, while helping the rich get richer.

But I'm sure you have a perfectly cromulent explanation as to how there's very fine people on both sides here.

To figure out if the new tax laws have helped or hurt you, you need to consider if you had additional "take home" pay each paycheck.  Just because your refund is reduced doesn;t mean you paid more taxes.  You may have gotten your $ sooner.  So, this needs a tiny bit deeper dive.  Could still mean people got less, not saying it doesn;t.  But alone it doesn't mean shit. 

I always feel bad for the idiot americans that think a big refund is great...they just gave the US government an interest free loan for a year and they are happy about it.  Dummies.

Back in 2017, as the tax bill moved on the Hill, lawmakers claimed the cut they proposed in the corporate tax rate to 21 percent from 35 percent would trickle down to workers in the form of higher wages and bonuses. 

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported nominal wages increased 3.2 percent in January year over year, and by less than one percent — three cents to $27.56 — month over month. 

Bonuses have registered less of an impact, increasing just 2 cents an hour in the first nine months of 2018.  The increase was "imperceptible," "Whatever growth in bonuses has taken place is not necessarily attributable to the tax cuts, rather than employer efforts to recruit workers in a continued low unemployment environment."

By all accounts, companies poured a hefty portion of the tax windfall into buying back shares, a move designed to at least temporarily boost stock prices, which benefits executives and other large stockholders. 

I feel bad for the idiot Americans who fell for the trickle down promise....again.  Dummies.  
    I’m not talking about wage increase. Is this really that difficult for you to understand? 

The tax cuts were sold on wage increases and bonuses for everyone.  That didn't happen. 

Now you can talk about how you got your money sooner, and maybe people paid more or less.  But it was always sold as a way to boost wages, invest in workers salaries, handout bonuses, blahblahblah. 

In the end, it turned out to be what everyone said it was.  Shuffling around tax schedule for lower/middle class while making the rich richer.  

So go ahead, shift the goalposts.  Tell how wonderful it was to get fucked by the GOP again.
    Yes, you're absolutely correct.  The corporate tax cut would lead to jobs for the unemployed and raises for the employees.  For a few days there were stories about a business or two giving bonuses,  but those turned out to be small potatoes and fizzled out quickly.  Meanwhile,  stock buybacks and equity cash outs exploded. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjhawks said:

Yes, you're absolutely correct.  The corporate tax cut would lead to jobs for the unemployed and raises for the employees.  For a few days there were stories about a business or two giving bonuses,  but those turned out to be small potatoes and fizzled out quickly.  Meanwhile,  stock buybacks and equity cash outs exploded. 
    He is certainly correct about how the overall tax plan was sold. But that’s not what I was taking about. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjhawks said:

I’m not moving goalposts. Im talking about about 1 aspect of the tax plan, not the entire thing. Pretty easy to understand if you aren’t looking to get pissed off.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    And we still haven't seen tRump's tax returns....let's imagine the outrage if Obama refused to show his returns and how he may have benefited from the new tax law.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,580
    edited February 2019
    And we still haven't seen tRump's tax returns....let's imagine the outrage if Obama refused to show his returns and how he may have benefited from the new tax law.

And ivanka’s and Jared Dear Boy’s and Donny Boy’s and little Eric Munster’s. Never mind mnuchin and Ross’ and Betsy DeVoss’.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited February 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjhawks said:

I wonder how long it will take republican voters to finally realize that the trickle down theory is complete garbage? It's been a consistent ploy by the GOP since Reagan, has never panned out and only proved itself to hurt people, and conservative voters just keep on believing it will work for some reason. They even act as though it's pure common sense. Isn't that the definition of insanity?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjhawks said:

I wonder how long it will take republican voters to finally realize that the trickle down theory is complete garbage? It's been a consistent ploy by the GOP since Reagan, has never panned out and only proved itself to hurt people, and conservative voters just keep on believing it will work for some reason. They even act as though it's pure common sense. Isn't that the definition of insanity?
    They aren't capable of learning.  It's all a team mentality now.  The GOP is their team...their team loves the flag more than any other team, loves to kill brown people, loves blowing up countries, etc.  

• Options
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/trumps-economic-policies-failed-to-deliver-promised-3percent-growth-in-2018.html

What a shocker.  2.9%.. after all that bullshit, all the deficits and tax cuts.  
  • Options
    4 Trillion coming back to the US? Suckers.

https://apple.news/AXEe9rYZvSKe4Cmq1a9d0pw
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Great find on the article, I hadn't heard this.  Also, the fact that more was spent on stock buy backs than capex is crazy. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Great find on the article, I hadn't heard this.  Also, the fact that more was spent on stock buy backs than capex is crazy. 
    But, really, who’s surprised? The tax policy folks and dems were saying this all along. And $2 trillion added to the debt.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Happy tax day tomorrow!

Our tax liability doubled this year!

Fuck tRUmp!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,689
    got fucked. partly to blame myself.

my pay increases annually. work for a good company. so its more difficult for me to figure between years. in fact for 2017 I received 2 raises.

having said that, when I filed last year my preparer suggested I claim 0 in withholding exemptions AND at the single rate, meaning the max withheld without asking for more on top. I didnt. so my withholdings remaining a static % I didnt see an observable increase in my net after the law kicked in.

jointly my wife and I owe about 6300.

we both lost out on non-reimbursed expenses. hers primarily in home office deductions(she works from home full time) and I lost transportation workers per diem deduction. given our joint tax bracket we didnt see shit through the year.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    got fucked. partly to blame myself.

my pay increases annually. work for a good company. so its more difficult for me to figure between years. in fact for 2017 I received 2 raises.

having said that, when I filed last year my preparer suggested I claim 0 in withholding exemptions AND at the single rate, meaning the max withheld without asking for more on top. I didnt. so my withholdings remaining a static % I didnt see an observable increase in my net after the law kicked in.

jointly my wife and I owe about 6300.

we both lost out on non-reimbursed expenses. hers primarily in home office deductions(she works from home full time) and I lost transportation workers per diem deduction. given our joint tax bracket we didnt see shit through the year.
    My taxes increased by 7 percentage points,  so call it... 20%, due to the lost deductions.  That's a pretty big change.  
  • Options
    same here with the deductions.  I work from home and wife is self-employed.  

Oh well, I'm sure it will trickle down back to me any day now.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,689
    CM189191 said:

easier for your wife being self-employed to claim.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:

easier for your wife being self-employed to claim.
    ... You would think so....

The math did not work out in our favor tho
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Net $15,000 loss for this family.

Fuck off Trump, you fucking cunt.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Net $15,000 loss for this family.

Fuck off Trump, you fucking cunt.
    Ouch
  • Options
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    CM189191 said:
    Robert Reich's another guy I wouldn't mind if ran for office.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529

But all their employees paid taxes.