2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    #WoodstockWebcastOrBust

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    So is that Woodstock, big W, in Watkins Glen, or woodstock, little W, in Bethel Woods?
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    More festivals and no arena dates (if we are lucky).

Canada wants a tour. Australia wants a tour. Many more live within a 4 hour drive of NYC (lol imagine a "tour dedicated to just metro NYC").

So they're doing a few festivals perhaps. One about six hours drive from NYC. And fans (perhaps the band) outside this impossible region to get PJ tix will consider Woodstock a NY date. Leading to a longer wait for nyc (perhaps) .

Hope those in Buffalo and Toronto enjoy! Sounds like a terrific party!
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I had to remind myself of where Watkins Glen was located (bottom of Finger Lakes). I gotta say, it's pretty central...right in the middle of a "circle" surrounded by large cities like NYC, Philly, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, ...
  • Mike D88 said:
    So is that Woodstock, big W, in Watkins Glen, or woodstock, little W, in Bethel Woods?
    Big W, Watkins Glenn
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I really hope its not Watkins Glen.  I love festivals, but a 100,000 people in the middle of nowhere will be a challenge.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Watkins Glen is the payday and the much larger event... no shot they play the smaller event at Bethel
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    Seems like Watkins Glen might fit if PJ is doing a one-off or only a limited run. Bethel might fit better if part of a proper tour. Not sure either is worth traveling a long distance for. The "payday" isn't going to be a factor because it would probably be the same for either event. I still think Bethel makes more sense given the Livenation connection. Danny Wimmer presents is doing the booking for Watkins Glen (they do mostly "rock" type festivals like Chicago Open Air, Rock on the Range, etc.).
  • EV solo Louisville 2017 was a Danny Wimmer festival I think.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Get_Right said:
    I really hope its not Watkins Glen.  I love festivals, but a 100,000 people in the middle of nowhere will be a challenge.
    a challenge is an under statement !! rail spots? posters? merch? the rain, the heat the lack of water. the parking lot, the brown acid
    way too many unknowns 
  • People seem to forget that both Woodstock 94' and Woodstock 99' were not exactly TRIBUTES to the original woodstock, but  more an evolution of what Woodstock would have been with popular artists of the day.

I believe in the same spirit, and with the given rumored lineup, Watkins Glenn will be the place to be.

This Bethel Woods concert seems to be more of a TRIBUTE to the original woodstock, and not an evolution. I just don't see PJ playing a 15,000 cap amphitheater given the shows they've played in the last 3 years...  
  • Get_Right said:
    a challenge is an under statement !! rail spots? posters? merch? the rain, the heat the lack of water. the parking lot, the brown acid
    way too many unknowns 
    Also im not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but the spirit of woodstock goes far beyond any of the things you mentioned in question and if thats the mentality fans are going to have about it, it would probably be easier to stay at home 
    I kinda doubt either of these festivals is going to have much to do with the spirit of Woodstock. This is going to be about making money.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    JimmyV said:
    I kinda doubt either of these festivals is going to have much to do with the spirit of Woodstock. This is going to be about making money.
    Bingo. 
    Get_Right said:
    way too many unknowns 
    Also im not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but the spirit of woodstock goes far beyond any of the things you mentioned in question and if thats the mentality fans are going to have about it, it would probably be easier to stay at home 
    Are you a promoter for Woodstock? Just curious. 
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    This is not a NYC metro area concert - it is closer to Canada, upper NY cities already mentioned and Northern Pennsylvania - Scranton, tetc. This is quite a trek from the NY metro area - just to clarify for the people thinking it's close to NYC, NJ, CT.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    bbiggs said:
    Get_Right said:
    way too many unknowns 
    He defends festivals like people defend their children.  He has to be some sort of promoter.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Get_Right said:
    way too many unknowns 
    He defends festivals like people defend their children.  He has to be some sort of promoter.  
    Oh you know me so well mr mcgruff 
  • bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo. 
    This stigma makes me chuckle. You guys laugh at me for defending something from bullshit criticism and then act like you 100% know for a fact it will be a nightmare. How far did you look into the crystal ball to see that one jack? 

The reason I'm defending music festivals is because I see them from a young persons perspective. I'm sorry guys, but the days of 20-somethings following their favorite bands around the country are over. Espeically when Ticketmaster tickets are $250+ fees, and a music festival with 60+ acts is the same price.
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo. 
    This stigma makes me chuckle. You guys laugh at me for defending something from bullshit criticism and then act like you 100% know for a fact it will be a nightmare. How far did you look into the crystal ball to see that one jack? 

The reason I'm defending music festivals is because I see them from a young persons perspective. I'm sorry guys, but the days of 20-somethings following their favorite bands around the country are over. Espeically when Ticketmaster tickets are $250+ fees, and a music festival with 60+ acts is the same price.
    Yes, you do have the same sort of attitude that my millenial son falls into often. I discourage it. 
  • njnancy said:
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo. 

Yes, you do have the same sort of attitude that my millenial son falls into often. I discourage it. 
    Is this supposed to be some kind of "stick it to um" comment? I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, only offering what I believe is valid skepticism. Yall are the ones who jumped my shit
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo. 

Which bands are charging $250+ for tickets?  I saw u2 last year for $75 and was three people from the barricade.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo. 

Which bands are charging $250+ for tickets?  I saw u2 last year for $75 and was three people from the barricade.
    Oh great now we are going to have a statistical war. 

I'll give you a lineup of bands who came through my city last year (and some who are coming this year) and charged $200-$250 per seat in the lower/bowl floor: 

-Guns N' Roses
    -Elton John
    -Taylor Swift
    -Ed Sheeran 
    -Paul McCartney 
    -Justin Timberlake
    -Panic! at the Disco 
    -Drake 

All I'm saying. 
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo. 

No crystal ball here, Jack. If you think it’s about anything other than money, wake up. That’s what I said “bingo” to. Nothing about the festival being a nightmare (although it will be). 
  • I don’t mind festivals. My biggest gripe is typically not getting longer sets from the people I really like. It’s the experience and look-at-me social media that makes festivals popular now. That and headliners. For most people it doesn’t truly seem to be about seeing multiple bands you like and I think most would prefer individual shows instead. Nothing to back any of this up besides my thoughts. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo. 

As a 20 something, we can still follow bands around, some of us anyways. Its I'm sure not as easy as it once was but I saw Gilmour 18 times in the span of a year. I didn't plan to go that much but things sorta snowballed. Anyways as a young person who lives in northern Canada where we have no festivals really, I haven't been to many large ones, however I went to kaaboo this year and it was a really great experience. I got to see like 10 bands I like and hang with my sister in the sun. That festival was a very rock and pop lineup, whereas if you get a mostly pop lineup with a couple rock bands you're going to get a very different crowd especially the ones that just go for the photo op. I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying really just adding on.
    2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo. 

What? I didn't laugh at you at all. I just don't believe these festivals are going to be about anything other than the spirit of making money. If you disagree, fine. If you take some sort of personal offense to that, that is your problem.

njnancy said:
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    Bingo. 

Is this supposed to be some kind of "stick it to um" comment? I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, only offering what I believe is valid skepticism. Yall are the ones who jumped my shit
    No. I have no desire to stick it to anyone. Well, in RL maybe. It was just an observation as a mom to a 'young person'.

There are stark similarities in communication. Nothing venomous or secretly manipulative intended. What I said is what I meant, nothing more.
  • CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    For point of reference, a whole bunch of bands threatened to drop out of the first Woodstock when they found out about The Who’s $100,000 paycheck to play. Lang had to come up with money fast or he would have been in trouble. It’s always been about the money. Let’s not kid ourselves about that. 

As someone who went to ‘94 and ‘99 Woodstock, I hope I can get to go to this one, especially if Pearl Jam plays. ‘99 definitely had its problems, but I made the best of it and had a great time despite it all. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    When 20 something’s followed PJ they weren’t legacy band status charging $120.

20 somethings should be following their favorite up and coming band charging $40-$50.