The Pizza Thread

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    BLACK35 said:
    The wife's pizza. thin crust with pineapple, ham mushrooms & onion
    Why doesn't american pzzas have any crust. Looks like the pie is evenly thick from the end to the center.

Compared to swedish:

Compared to Turtles:

EDIT: Read "thin crust" now.

Interesting... pineapples and worms.

Never heard of that pizza before.
    And is that a dish of cole slaw? Does it go on top?
    Cole slaw and pizza ?!  And what the heck is with the long strips of intestines on the pizza?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I think most can agree that Sweden may be many things -- and many of those things may be better than other countries -- but Sweden appears to be a poor place to look for pizza.  Sure there must be places that do it well but we are not seeing them represented here.

That pizza looks.....well, not very good.

My guess on the worms is that they are onions?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019
    I think most can agree that Sweden may be many things -- and many of those things may be better than other countries -- but Sweden appears to be a poor place to look for pizza.  Sure there must be places that do it well but we are not seeing them represented here.

"In Sweden, its culinary landscape has created - out of necessity and osmosis - a national blanket of works of art that reach such a deeply fucked surreal and counter-intuitive culinary splendor that the most absurd creations by high-concept experimental artists, experimental chefs or artist-chef-experimental-weirdos wither in comparison.

Swedish Pizza."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/johan-kugelberg/swedish-pizza_b_1608146.html

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019
    BLACK35 said:
    The wife's pizza. thin crust with pineapple, ham mushrooms & onion
    Why doesn't american pzzas have any crust. Looks like the pie is evenly thick from the end to the center.

Compared to swedish:

Compared to Turtles:

EDIT: Read "thin crust" now.

Interesting... pineapples and worms.

Never heard of that pizza before.
    And is that a dish of cole slaw? Does it go on top?
    That's "pizza salad" that all pizzerias have here, and if you order takeaway you get a small container of it with you. Some people put it on the pizza, some eat it on it's own - some don't want it. I heard it originated from the Balkans and was brought here by refugees. But seems it's italian/croatian:

"In 1969, Pizzeria Piazza Opera was opened on Gustav Adolf's square in Stockholm by entrepreneur Giuseppe "Peppino" Sperandio. There was also the idea of ​​serving free salad with the pizza; When Sperandio needed a cheap salad to eat while the pizza was baked, he remembered the salad "Kupus Salata" from his childhood in northeastern Italy, a salad from neighboring Croatia."

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

That pizza looks.....well, not very good.

My guess on the worms is that they are onions?
    Looks like julienned ham.
  • That is slaw.
    Coldslaw has white "mush" (mayonese?) in it. 
    That is slaw.
    Creamy cole slaw is made with mayonnaise.  Regular slaw is made with vinegar/vinaigrette.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Slaw goes with everything.

My guess was that the worms were spaghetti.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • That is slaw.
    Creamy cole slaw is made with mayonnaise.  Regular slaw is made with vinegar/vinaigrette.
    Ah, okey! I googled "slaw" but coleslaw showed up. But ok. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    JimmyV said:
    This is officially the best thread on these boards.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited January 2019
    Discuss the all-encompassing pie - PIZZA - here!

Share pics, discuss your favorite toppings, cheeses, sauces, styles, bakers, etc.  Calzones, strombolis, okonomiyaki, etc are welcome!

I'll start with an Annapolis, Maryland staple - the "spotted pig" from Vin 909.  Sopressata & wild boar meatballs w/provolone.

My ex & I ate there when we visited Annapolis... crispiest pizza crust ever, it is amazing
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    That is slaw.
    This is correct. I have also seen non-mayo slaw referred to as Italian style.
  • Today this Balkan salad (renamed to pizza salad), is as Swedish as the Dala horse. The pizza salad is made with shredded cabbage, coarse pepper and sometimes red bell pepper, slightly pickled (fermented) in vinaigrette for a few days.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Anyone ever eat at Oven Grinder in Chicago? I’ve heard about their legendary Pizza Pot Pie but have never had it myself. Looks delicious.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    bbiggs said:
    Anyone ever eat at Oven Grinder in Chicago? I’ve heard about their legendary Pizza Pot Pie but have never had it myself. Looks delicious.

That looks anything but delicious. Chicagoans be trippin'!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    bbiggs said:

It looks disgusting to me! :lol: Why don't people in Chicago like actual pizza? They always want to turn it into something other than pizza, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    bbiggs said:

I ve seen them on food network specials a few times.  I d definitely give it a try. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    dankind said:
    bbiggs said:

That looks anything but delicious. Chicagoans be trippin'!
    This picture actually does look kind of shitty. If you Google this place and watch the video on their website about how they make the “pizza pot pie,” I think it may change your perspective. Here’s another picture I pulled online. Imagine cutting into that amazing, cheesy goodness! 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    That looks like it would give me a case of the Lou's.
    I would rather eat the giant fucking ball of bread to the right.  Least then I would only feel pregnant, not pregnant with 10 pounds of Ass Piss en route.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    Yes, I just don't go for solid cheese and meat casseroles surrounded in dough. They don't do it for me, and would make me feel sick. But to each their own.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

^ Haha that’s awesome. I’m curious myself how these things taste. Someone will eventually chime in here that has had one. I do know the place is jam packed all the time though. 
    Pizza = delicious, pot pie = delicious
    From my math background I can deduce that "pizza pot pie" = delicious^2
  • Pizza = delicious, pot pie = delicious
    Shouldn't it be 2xdelicious?
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:

It looks disgusting to me! :lol: Why don't people in Chicago like actual pizza? They always want to turn it into something other than pizza, lol.
    "Actual" Chicago pizza: :wink:

Shouldn't it be 2xdelicious?
    If it were addition, yes, but this is multiplication.
    Have you ever had one of those? I have not. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:

"Actual" Chicago pizza: :wink:

Spot on, Dyer. This is what most Chicago pizzas look like (notice square slices). The misconception is that we’re a one trick pony for deep dish. That ‘za looks amazing. 
    That pizza looks SOOO much better than deep toilet or pig pot ones.  A little heavy on the sauce, but if the sauce is good I am a-ok with that.  Also fine with the square cuts, so long as I get an outside one that I can fold.  Looks like if you tried to fold the middle 4 that you might end up spilling the cheese anyway...which is what the fold is designed to avoid.