AMAZON PRIME VIDEO STREAMING FINDS

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
edited January 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
We have a Netflix finds thread, so I figured we need the same for Amazon Prime Video, because they are really starting to offer a lot of good stuff, including original shows. :)
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Comments

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited January 2019
    The Patriot Season 1!  You're welcome in advance. If you like Wes Anderson movies, give it a try. 
    Wes Anderson isn't involved with the show. A few of the characters are just kooky individuals and remind me of Wes Anderson characters. 
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Homecoming was very interesting. Perhaps not for everyone - it's got a bit of a weird, toned down, quiet vibe to it, and is a little bit weird maybe for some ... But I enjoyed it quite a bit (Julia Roberts is very good in it). And the episodes are very short, so it's a really quick binge watch.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    What's the deal with the Jack Ryan series. Is it legit or is it over over-the-top cliché action/spy drama.
    edited January 2019
    Jbarker said:
    What's the deal with the Jack Ryan series. Is it legit or is it over over-the-top cliché action/spy drama.
    I haven't watched it yet.... I do really like John Krasinski though, so am interested, and will get around to it at some point. Do you have a reason to think it would be over-the-top? I didn't get that impression at all from the previews of it.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    PJ_Soul said:
    Homecoming was very interesting. Perhaps not for everyone - it's got a bit of a weird, toned down, quiet vibe to it, and is a little bit weird maybe for some ... But I enjoyed it quite a bit (Julia Roberts is very good in it). And the episodes are very short, so it's a really quick binge watch.
    Definitely a weird vibe to it, but I really liked it.  Just read that there's going to be a season 2.
    Jbarker said:
    Looks like you have to be the guinea pig.  =)  Watch it and report back to us.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    The Patriot Season 1!  You're welcome in advance. If you like Wes Anderson movies, give it a try. 
    Wes Anderson isn't involved with the show. A few of the characters are just kooky individuals and remind me of Wes Anderson characters. 
    I second this. Also Goliath season 1 was pretty good. Haven't watched the second. Man in the High Castle is good as well
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144

The Man In The High Castle: http://amzn.to/1PFea3y

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel https://amzn.to/2BHxihj

Red Oaks https://amzn.to/2sSNx6a

I miss igotid88
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Jbarker said:
    I loved it, definitely legit. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jbarker said:
    I haven't watched it yet.... I do really like John Krasinski though, so am interested, and will get around to it at some point. Do you have a reason to think it would be over-the-top? I didn't get that impression at all from the previews of it.
    I thought it was okay. Might improve season 2.
    I can't wait to see Hanna
    I miss igotid88
    Jack Ryan was pretty good.

Both seasons of Sneaky Pete were really good.  That's one of my favorites.
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Only worry because I love the genre, but so does Hollywood. Alias, 24, Person of Interest, Burn Notice, The Unit plus more... were weak offerings in my opinion. In the last decade the only two I've enjoyed that hit enough of my criteria were Homeland and The Americans. But I know I am waaaaay to critical of the shows I pick. Its a disease really.
    Jbarker said:
    Only worry because I love the genre, but so does Hollywood. Alias, 24, Person of Interest, Burn Notice, The Unit plus more... were weak offerings in my opinion. In the last decade the only two I've enjoyed that hit enough of my criteria were Homeland and The Americans. But I know I am waaaaay to critical of the shows I pick. Its a disease really.
    Alias was great
    I miss igotid88
    I second this. Also Goliath season 1 was pretty good. Haven't watched the second. Man in the High Castle is good as well
    I liked Goliath Season 1 too. I have tried season 2 for both Goliath and The Patriot and didn't finish either one. I will have to try Man in the High Castle.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Jack Ryan was good.  Fuck the critics, they suck.

Tin Star was badass.

Red Oaks, as shared above, was really good.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I enjoyed Man in the High Castle.  Already been renewed for season 4.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    edited January 2019
    I'm currently watching Hand of God with Ron Perlman as the lead character.
    I'm maybe halfway through the 1st season (there are 2 in total; it was cancelled after that, I think in 2016?). Well I don't know if everyone would like this show, but I really do! It's about a judge (kind of a hard core one and whose best friend is the somewhat corrupt mayor) who is "born again" through this kooky church lead by what seems to be a con man, after his son goes into a coma, and he gets messages and visions from God that he believes are leading him to find the people responsible for his son's situation. Of course, other people think he's going fucking nuts. Part of why this show is highly entertaining to me is because Ron Perlman is the judge. It's a bit of an unusual one for him, but he does so well with this challenging character IMHO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Hand of God was good, I agree. 
    Bosch is great
    Goliath was pretty good as well.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Bosch is great
    Oh yeah. Completely forgot about Bosch. Great show as well
    Bosch is great
    Holy cow, 40 episodes, with a 5th season starting and a 6th confirmed already. And the synopsis says it's about a detective solving one child murder the whole time? Is that true? If so, it is very impressive to stretch one storyline that far and keep people happy.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Bosch is great
    Holy cow, 40 episodes, with a 5th season starting and a 6th confirmed already. And the synopsis says it's about a detective solving one child murder the whole time? Is that true? If so, it is very impressive to stretch one storyline that far and keep people happy.
    Different cases but still good.  If you have not read the books, even better to not get any influence from those.  Background is always 'his case' but the seasons focus on different cases.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Bosch is great
    Different cases but still good.  If you have not read the books, even better to not get any influence from those.  Background is always 'his case' but the seasons focus on different cases.
    Oh okay, thanks for the info.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Bosch is great
    Bosch is awesome.  There's 1 storyline that is personal to the main character that he keeps investigating but each season has its own focus
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Liked Goliath...definitely worth a look

Maisel...just watched two episodes.  Wasn't sure I would like it but some great nudity in that first episode reeled me in.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Second season of Goliath was great as well (especially the ep with the Chinese hooker).

Patriot - loving it and the characters, especially Stephen.  Totally un-PC and hilarious.

Couldn't get through the first episode of Jack Ryan.

Just started Season 2 of Man in the High Castle.  Quite good but a lot to get the head around.

Bosch - next season can't get here soon enough.  One of my favorite series.

Gotta catch more Hand of God; Ron plays the role pretty well.

I'll also put Red Oaks and Transparent up there as two of the best comedy series on Amazon.
    hedonist said:
    Second season of Goliath was great as well (especially the ep with the Chinese hooker).

Patriot - loving it and the characters, especially Stephen.  Totally un-PC and hilarious.

Couldn't get through the first episode of Jack Ryan.

Just started Season 2 of Man in the High Castle.  Quite good but a lot to get the head around.

Bosch - next season can't get here soon enough.  One of my favorite series.

Gotta catch more Hand of God; Ron plays the role pretty well.

I'll also put Red Oaks and Transparent up there as two of the best comedy series on Amazon.
    Forgot about Transparent. That's good too. Bosch seems to come out with new seasons quicker than the others.
    I miss igotid88
    Also, I somehow got on a list where Amazon Prime sends me surveys and pays me to fill out.
    Have the 14 year old watch this episode, we will send you a $10 gift card for him.
    Watch these two episodes and answer these questions and we send you $25
    Sometimes they are free ones.  Sometimes I have to watch with the younger kid.
    I like them all -- interesting to be part of the test audience.
    I shit all over Homecoming...it appears others liked, or perhaps they already had it in the can.  Since I watched 2 episodes and thought they were dumb as part of the test I did not revisit to see what they may have changed.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I thought Jack Ryan was really good.  
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    What did Hulu ever do to you?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    edited January 2019
    What did Hulu ever do to you?
    Keep itself unavailable in Canada. :frowning: