jeff on chris and recording

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    It's a bit of a bummer they're not making much headway on a new album.    I still don't find it surprising.  We've watched many veteran acts slow down their creative input in their later years.   I never thought PJ would be immune to what we've seen happen to countless other bands.

At least there's 2 parts of being in a rock bands.   Recording and Performing.  Even if you struggle with one, you've still got the other.   The live show's are still pretty damn good, so I'd much prefer the current scenario of 20ish live shows a year to a complete halt.   Hope it continues.  Album will be gravy whenever it comes out.

• “Can’t Deny Me,” as a standalone single to coincide with their tour. “Yeah, that was fun,” Gossard says. “I’m glad we got to do that. That was a little bit of a star from one of the ones that we had recorded, so we’re hoping to get some more of that going.”

If this is true, maybe we don't want a new album  :o 

Am I reading this right? Does it really mean that was basically the best track coming out from the ones already recorded? Well.. I don't know what to think about it. Or maybe yes, I know, but wouldn't be safe for this forum. Man...
    That’s how I read it. Can’t Deny Me is the best track
    I hope you guys aren't right on that.  I hope the well is not dry, but maybe that's why the forthcoming album has been almost a year in the waiting game, and likely much longer. There may just not be quality material to go with right now.  I'd rather keep waiting than get a full out stinker of an album. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782

“Can’t Deny Me,” as a standalone single to coincide with their tour. “Yeah, that was fun,” Gossard says. “I’m glad we got to do that. That was a little bit of a star from one of the ones that we had recorded, so we’re hoping to get some more of that going.”

Am I reading this right? Does it really mean that was basically the best track coming out from the ones already recorded? Well.. I don't know what to think about it. Or maybe yes, I know, but wouldn't be safe for this forum. Man...
    Nothing is safe for this forum.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    JT167846 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Can understand if he's ok with the solo stuff from a cash point of view as he sells out the same places solo as the band does-that's huge bucks.
    What?  EV plays theaters.  PJ plays arenas, amphitheaters and stadiums.
    I went to the Dublin gig in 2017. 14000 capacity and chockablock full. I imagine it's not the only arena he's done solo. Apologies if I implies every gig was in an arena. Would have loved to have seen him in Taormina. 
    I was there too.  That's the exception, not the rule.  3Arena was the biggest place he would play solo (probably in part due to Glen's draw in Dublin too) and would be considered very small for PJ.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779

“Can’t Deny Me,” as a standalone single to coincide with their tour. “Yeah, that was fun,” Gossard says. “I’m glad we got to do that. That was a little bit of a star from one of the ones that we had recorded, so we’re hoping to get some more of that going.”

I hope you guys aren't right on that.  I hope the well is not dry, but maybe that's why the forthcoming album has been almost a year in the waiting game, and likely much longer. There may just not be quality material to go with right now.  I'd rather keep waiting than get a full out stinker of an album. 
    Agree. To quote Adam Jones, "It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good".
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    JT167846 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Can understand if he's ok with the solo stuff from a cash point of view as he sells out the same places solo as the band does-that's huge bucks.
    I went to the Dublin gig in 2017. 14000 capacity and chockablock full. I imagine it's not the only arena he's done solo. Apologies if I implies every gig was in an arena. Would have loved to have seen him in Taormina. 
    I was there too.  That's the exception, not the rule.  3Arena was the biggest place he would play solo (probably in part due to Glen's draw in Dublin too) and would be considered very small for PJ.
    Na it wasn't Glen. Was most probably that big drunk salad dodger who got on stage for Black who scared Ed into booking a venue that could fit his knacker family...

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2019
    JT167846 said:
    JT167846 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Na it wasn't Glen. Was most probably that big drunk salad dodger who got on stage for Black who scared Ed into booking a venue that could fit his knacker family...
    That guy was awful!! Other than that, a fabulous concert, both Glen & Ed. Did you also go to Cork? I loved that space, was 2nd row standing in front of Ed.
    Post edited by Renfield on
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    Renfield said:
    JT167846 said:
    JT167846 said:
    JT167846 said:
    That guy was awful!! Other than that, a fabulous concert, both Glen & Ed. Did you also go to Cork? I loved that space, was 2nd row standing in front of Ed.
    Yeah, I was at Cork too (rail on Mike's side). Overall Cork was better (you're right, Black in Dublin was so awful) but that Jeremy in Dublin had me bawlin'. Couldn't stop thinking about Chris. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    Didn't make Cork. Travel is my first love and I remember having a trip to the Middle East right after so could only afford to see him the once. Though I've managed to combine the two on occasion which is a privilege if you can do it.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Firenze in 2017 had 50,000 plus and he was the only one noteworthy on the bill. 

With regards to the best song I would not worry too much about it. I am sure the band thinks MYM and Sirens were the best off of LB but we all know for most of us there are better offerings. 
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2019
    Renfield said:
    JT167846 said:
    JT167846 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Yeah, I was at Cork too (rail on Mike's side). Overall Cork was better (you're right, Black in Dublin was so awful) but that Jeremy in Dublin had me bawlin'. Couldn't stop thinking about Chris. 
    So we were 10 feet from each other?! That version of Jeremy in Dublin was spectacular, truly magical. Starting with the opening song, Trouble.. I heard the 1st notes, grabbed my sister’s arm and began crying. One of my fav Cat songs (he’s in my top 5). Heard Chris sing it live in 2013, The Cat himself in 2014, then Ed in ‘17- I’m very lucky! I don’t have a favorite of those 2 shows- loved both pretty equally. But it was cool to be so close in Cork
    Post edited by Renfield on
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    I wonder if Kelly Curtis talks  to Jeff about comments like this.  I doubt it. 
    They aren't exactly obligated to write a new record.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Jeff says he sounds like a broken record but I don't recall ever reading comments like this before. Does anyone else? I may have just missed them.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    JimmyV said:
    Jeff says he sounds like a broken record but I don't recall ever reading comments like this before. Does anyone else? I may have just missed them.
    He said almost the same thing about a year ago in a interview 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    JimmyV said:
    Maybe he has said it privately to members of the band?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Brendan O'Brien has been telling them to get together more and focus on PJ music rather than all the side projects for years.  I guess they don't listen to BOB.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Brendan O'Brien has been telling them to get together more and focus on PJ music rather than all the side projects for years.  I guess they don't listen to BOB.
    that's a good start. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    NewJPage said:
    JimmyV said:
    He said almost the same thing about a year ago in a interview 
    Well there ya go. I did miss it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    That sucks.  Since Jeff and Stone seem interested...I agree with whoever said go get Neil Young and make Mirrorball 2.  I certainly don't want PJ to break up, but I'd love to have an album that Stone and Jeff make together with whoever they want.  Maybe Shawn Smith?  Whatever...I just want some new music from these guys.  I like Jeff's album, but I want more!!!! I know, I'm selfish.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • That sucks.  Since Jeff and Stone seem interested...I agree with whoever said go get Neil Young and make Mirrorball 2.  I certainly don't want PJ to break up, but I'd love to have an album that Stone and Jeff make together with whoever they want.  Maybe Shawn Smith?  Whatever...I just want some new music from these guys.  I like Jeff's album, but I want more!!!! I know, I'm selfish.
    Surprised to find myself agreeing with that idea ... but at this point I definitely do.
    I'm the PJ fan that is sick of the merch conversations and chasing, burned out on boots old and new.
    I've only seen about ten PJ live shows, which is nothing compared to so many, but a lot compared to average music fan w/their respective favorite band. I'm definitely excited for another show, but less so then ever by far, due both to me ageing and the band ageing.
    The only way I'll ever be truly excited over this band again is new quality music. I've given this band my full intention and passion as a fan since 27 years ago now. They don't owe me anything, but if they're done giving then I probably am too. I can't subsist on scraps anymore.

It's quite obvious that Mike and Jeff are the two guys who are really pushing themselves to keep active in music.
    Matt put out a solo album last year, so we know he's still creative and in fighting shape.

I had always wondered if Stone was the guy who is least excited about the band for the last decade, but it sounds like he's ready to get at it right now, which is really exciting news to me. I believe this band is at it's best when Stone is guiding the music. Everybody has added classic songs to the bunch, but Stone's riffs and songs have left room for Ed's best vocals and melodies. I'd argue Ed has to be a better singer when singing Stone's songs.

So at this point, as someone who wants real, quality, original heartfelt songs, I'll take as much Jeff and Stone collaboration as I can get.
    I'm realistic about the length of time it takes to write, rehearse, edit, record, mix, master, and prepare marketing and artwork for a major Pearl Jam record. I don't want some half-done internet drop, and the band doesn't either. We all want a classic recorded and packaged album. 
    If Ed isn't feeling like doing music right now, due to family life, charity work, no interest, etc.whatever...then maybe some configuration of the band makes one without him. That sucks, and could effectively end the band..
    But It's else that, or he punches the clock, rolls the sleeves up, dive in to the work.

I'm in a band, I've always been in bands. They're messy and full of small tensions and competitions over which path to send the group down...PJ is no different. But they need to get messy for awhile; try,fail, try again. That's how every band knocks out songs they are proud of.

Sounds like they're waiting for him.
    I know I am.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    This makes it even more sad that Chris is gone. The other PJ guys could have put their creative energy towards a new Temple of the Dog record. I do agree that if Ed isn't into it, the other members should find someone else to work with on a side project together. I just can't think of anyone who would work. I haven't been that into the singers Mike has been working with. Most of the great Seattle 90s singers seem to have passed on.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    This makes it even more sad that Chris is gone. The other PJ guys could have put their creative energy towards a new Temple of the Dog record. I do agree that if Ed isn't into it, the other members should find someone else to work with on a side project together. I just can't think of anyone who would work. I haven't been that into the singers Mike has been working with. Most of the great Seattle 90s singers seem to have passed on.
    Ian Thornley. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    edited January 2019
    That sucks.  Since Jeff and Stone seem interested...I agree with whoever said go get Neil Young and make Mirrorball 2.  I certainly don't want PJ to break up, but I'd love to have an album that Stone and Jeff make together with whoever they want.  Maybe Shawn Smith?  Whatever...I just want some new music from these guys.  I like Jeff's album, but I want more!!!! I know, I'm selfish.
    Surprised to find myself agreeing with that idea ... but at this point I definitely do.
    I'm the PJ fan that is sick of the merch conversations and chasing, burned out on boots old and new.
    I've only seen about ten PJ live shows, which is nothing compared to so many, but a lot compared to average music fan w/their respective favorite band. I'm definitely excited for another show, but less so then ever by far, due both to me ageing and the band ageing.
    The only way I'll ever be truly excited over this band again is new quality music. I've given this band my full intention and passion as a fan since 27 years ago now. They don't owe me anything, but if they're done giving then I probably am too. I can't subsist on scraps anymore.

It's quite obvious that Mike and Jeff are the two guys who are really pushing themselves to keep active in music.
    Matt put out a solo album last year, so we know he's still creative and in fighting shape.

I had always wondered if Stone was the guy who is least excited about the band for the last decade, but it sounds like he's ready to get at it right now, which is really exciting news to me. I believe this band is at it's best when Stone is guiding the music. Everybody has added classic songs to the bunch, but Stone's riffs and songs have left room for Ed's best vocals and melodies. I'd argue Ed has to be a better singer when singing Stone's songs.

So at this point, as someone who wants real, quality, original heartfelt songs, I'll take as much Jeff and Stone collaboration as I can get.
    I'm realistic about the length of time it takes to write, rehearse, edit, record, mix, master, and prepare marketing and artwork for a major Pearl Jam record. I don't want some half-done internet drop, and the band doesn't either. We all want a classic recorded and packaged album. 
    If Ed isn't feeling like doing music right now, due to family life, charity work, no interest, etc.whatever...then maybe some configuration of the band makes one without him. That sucks, and could effectively end the band..
    But It's else that, or he punches the clock, rolls the sleeves up, dive in to the work.

I'm in a band, I've always been in bands. They're messy and full of small tensions and competitions over which path to send the group down...PJ is no different. But they need to get messy for awhile; try,fail, try again. That's how every band knocks out songs they are proud of.

Sounds like they're waiting for him.
    I know I am.
    Agree with the bolded part.
  • As a musician myself of over 20 years, I can't imagine 6 years going by without releasing quite a bit of music.  Of course in all fairness, I dont get recognized anywhere, dont deal with fame, don't leave the family for months on world tours, so there are obvious differences.  Still, just as someone who has had music in their life for so long, I can't imagine that amount of time without releasing material.  Those of you who are also musicians know what I mean, it's a lifestyle and it's like you have to do it, you have no choice.  If I ever went 6 years without much material it would mean something was definitely wrong.  If I had to take a guess I'd say they have played all over the world, the biggest venues, entered the hall of fame, a long successful career, etc.  Could be Ed is asking himself what more they really have to accomplish at this point that validates time away from family.  Also let's face it, Ed is deeply affected by current politics, you can basically gauge if an album will have a happy or melancholy tone based on who is currently in office.  Maybe he's so depressed over Trump he doesn't feel like playing music, where as when he was younger he would have been really inspired to make a pissed off album.  Who knows, could be something totally different and Im just way off.  However with the Christmas single gone, studio album in limbo, hardly any new material for years, not at the CC tribute or TOTD shows, etc. I'd say the focus and interest is slipping away.  Very sad.  I have hope though, because I know you can't go from being a musician to not being one, no matter how fed up with the life you may be.  Sooner or later he'll really miss it and come back.
    keep in mind just because they/he haven't released anything, doesn't mean they/he haven't been creative. he did write an entire album (or at least submitted several songs) for the Out of the Furnace soundtrack that weren't used. I'm sure he still writes. But just because he's not releasing things to the public really means nothing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• This is very true, and they also did the home shows tour just last year, so I'm not saying he has lost all interest.  However there is a definite trend of less and less music over the years.  I don't blame them or have any negative feelings about it, they are people just like the rest of us and if he's not feeling a new album right now then that's that.  As a fan though, I do hope they get back together and kick some ass
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Disturbing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    scalelokt said:
    This is very true, and they also did the home shows tour just last year, so I'm not saying he has lost all interest.  However there is a definite trend of less and less music over the years.  I don't blame them or have any negative feelings about it, they are people just like the rest of us and if he's not feeling a new album right now then that's that.  As a fan though, I do hope they get back together and kick some ass
    everyone's creative process is different. me? I'm way more inclined to have that "spark" when I'm actively engaged in a group. I don't know if Ed is the same, but them not being around each other a lot and not releasing much music certainly points to that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 635
    Next yr is an election yr, they'll have an album out by then to tour on, no doubt in my mind that's happening. Do you really think they're not going to tour leading up to the 2020 November elections?  Especially with everything happening right now in the country. I'm not a betting man but I'd bet my house they're touring with a new album by then. 
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    PJ_Soul said:

Disturbing.
    Great
    I miss igotid88