jeff on chris and recording

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    edited January 2019
    eboweddie said:
    There is an album on they way in the near future.  I'm happy with that.  All I needed to know 
    Please elaborate "near future" ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    6 weeks, get in , get out, and give us the damn record.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    eboweddie said:
    There is an album on they way in the near future.  I'm happy with that.  All I needed to know 
    Please elaborate "near future" ?
    Probably the same as forthcoming... 
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    It’s been six years since Pearl Jam released Lightning Bolt, and they’re feeling the need to write new music again. It’s just been slow going. “It’d be fun to record or even just write a song together,” bassist Jeff Ament says. “I think when Chris [Cornell] passed, that’s really been a tough one to wrap our heads around, and then there’s just life stuff.”

• This has always been a band who has been inspired by real life events. In my opinion, there have been more than enough real life events to write about since Lightning Bolt. Maybe somebody just isn't into the process anymore. Then again, if a band records a full length album, not every song can be about the current state of the US, or the passing of a friend. Bootlegger makes a good point though... the absence of Ed at important events is telling.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    This has always been a band who has been inspired by real life events. In my opinion, there have been more than enough real life events to write about since Lightning Bolt. Maybe somebody just isn't into the process anymore. Then again, if a band records a full length album, not every song can be about the current state of the US, or the passing of a friend. Bootlegger makes a good point though... the absence of Ed at important events is telling.
    What does Ed's absence tell you?  We know nothing. Ed is very private, that is all we know.  None of us know the reasons behind his choices because they are personal. 
  •   He doesn't show up for any of the TOTD shows (not even to guest on a song in Seattle) or Chris's event.  That's fine but I think it puts the nail in the coffin that Ed isn't into making music anymore or right now.
    Thats not music or writing related lol.  

No, but those are examples of being engaged in the process.  If an employee is constantly leaving early, not attending after work happy hours or team building functions, doesn't speak up in meetings, etc... than it means they are not engaged and there just to get a paycheck (or worse, will quit soon).  So, when one of the best singer/songwriters of his generation goes 6+ years without releasing any material of substance, doesn't even attend a hometown TOTD show, doesn't make it to Cornell's celebration concert, doesn't seem to be pushing any PJ writing, etc.... than to me it means he is just not engaged in the process.   Not saying those things are bad, but just saying to me they tell the story. 

Maybe making sure he’s happy and doing well?? instead of commenting on how being a man who likes baseball is weird??? 

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
      He doesn't show up for any of the TOTD shows (not even to guest on a song in Seattle) or Chris's event.  That's fine but I think it puts the nail in the coffin that Ed isn't into making music anymore or right now.

No, but those are examples of being engaged in the process.  If an employee is constantly leaving early, not attending after work happy hours or team building functions, doesn't speak up in meetings, etc... than it means they are not engaged and there just to get a paycheck (or worse, will quit soon).  So, when one of the best singer/songwriters of his generation goes 6+ years without releasing any material of substance, doesn't even attend a hometown TOTD show, doesn't make it to Cornell's celebration concert, doesn't seem to be pushing any PJ writing, etc.... than to me it means he is just not engaged in the process.   Not saying those things are bad, but just saying to me they tell the story. 

Maybe making sure he’s happy and doing well?? instead of commenting on how being a man who likes baseball is weird??? 

Nobody else here has season tickets to a sports team? I mean the guy is a die hard cubs fan, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
      He doesn't show up for any of the TOTD shows (not even to guest on a song in Seattle) or Chris's event.  That's fine but I think it puts the nail in the coffin that Ed isn't into making music anymore or right now.

Did I say Ed was doing anything wrong or didn't have his reasons?  No.   If he doesn't want to make a record that is his prerogative.  He doesn't have to go to the TOTD shows or Chris shows.  But I'm using things like that as an example that he is not engaged in the process.  Really, there is only one example that is necessary and it is 6 years without any music for the singer/songwriter.   Again, my comments are no different than saying Ed isn't engaged in water polo because we haven't seen him play or talk about water polo in the last six years.  It is not a positive or negative comment, but reality.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,827
    Ed said himself that the next time they’re together will be in the studio, unfortunately it seems like they haven’t got together much since the stadium shows, which I’m sure we all hoped will happen over the Nth Am winter. I’d say a period of this time was spent preparing for the Cornell tribute. Looks like Stone, Jeff and Matt we’re heavily involved there. Mike’s has had his art / music project on the go. There seems to be some frustration for sure, whether that’s entirely Ed’s doing, we’ll never know. No doubt Cornell’s passing turned everything on its head in more ways than one. I was hoping the delay had more to do with waiting on Lyrics from Ed but maybe they’re further behind than that. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,576
    Maybe Ed likes playing solo. Maybe tinnitus is an issue and acoustic, ukulele playing is better for his long term hearing. We don’t know. After close to 30 years I assume Eddie knows what releasing a new album entails in terms of press and touring. Perhaps he isn’t ready or doesn’t want to do it right now. I’d rather a new record be inspired and great than forced and shifty.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • This is why I have limited my posting on the forum. Somebody makes a comment as a suggestion, and somebody else, who maybe had a bad day at work, or who's wife is pissed at them, takes that comment and makes it seem like the most abusive thing anybody has ever said. 
  • Get_Right said:
    This has always been a band who has been inspired by real life events. In my opinion, there have been more than enough real life events to write about since Lightning Bolt. Maybe somebody just isn't into the process anymore. Then again, if a band records a full length album, not every song can be about the current state of the US, or the passing of a friend. Bootlegger makes a good point though... the absence of Ed at important events is telling.
    What does Ed's absence tell you?  We know nothing. Ed is very private, that is all we know.  None of us know the reasons behind his choices because they are personal. 
    Very true, yes he is a private person, everybody is aware of this. Everybody but Ed has released some of form music since Lightning Bolt. So as Bootlegger said... IT APPEARS as if maybe he is less interested in making music, being apart of musically endeavors, whatever you want to say, than the other guys.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    Think to yourselves how much free time you would have without a day job.   You would have some things you needed to do, but there would be a ton of time to get stuff done that you are passionate about if you really wanted to.   
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,873
    KN219077 said:
    6 weeks, get in , get out, and give us the damn record.
    Don't even bother with production stuff--I hate the "the album is in the can, you'll hear it in 6 months" nonsense.  Write the songs, do a Self Pollution style live session and hit the road.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    Yeah, it's also possible that this has nothing to do with choice on EV's part. It could be that he's got horrible writer's block, and is absolutely dying to write new music, but simply can't produce any. That's as likely as any other guess.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    The Cubs fascination is just weird for an adult but shows where his passion is at right now versus others in the band.
    I mean, with all due respect, this is pretty rich coming from people on this forum who are so fanatical about this band. Being fanatical about stuff is fun, it let's you be a part of something bigger than yourself. Nothing wrong with that!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
    ehbacon said:
    The Cubs fascination is just weird for an adult but shows where his passion is at right now versus others in the band.
    I mean, with all due respect, this is pretty rich coming from people on this forum who are so fanatical about this band. Being fanatical about stuff is fun, it let's you be a part of something bigger than yourself. Nothing wrong with that!
    If I could walk into Wrigley Field, Soldier Field, United Center or any concert I ever wanted to and had the means to do it, I probably wouldn't do anything else.

Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    ehbacon said:
    If I could walk into Wrigley Field, Soldier Field, United Center or any concert I ever wanted to and had the means to do it, I probably wouldn't do anything else.

Nothing wrong with those stadiums but I’d go with yankee stadium, MetLife and msg.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    ehbacon said:

Nothing wrong with those stadiums but I’d go with yankee stadium, MetLife and msg.  
    Understandable.  My life-long loyalties are in Chicago and wherever my bands are playing.
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,798
    edited January 2019
    It’s been six years since Pearl Jam released Lightning Bolt, and they’re feeling the need to write new music again. It’s just been slow going. “It’d be fun to record or even just write a song together,” bassist Jeff Ament says. “I think when Chris [Cornell] passed, that’s really been a tough one to wrap our heads around, and then there’s just life stuff.”

This tells alot ,this is a band from what i can understand is dealing with life stuff and death and being a human living on earth doing stuff you do ,and is on the move to good things 

Post edited by trees on

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 774
    Yeah I'll get excited about the new Tool album first. I'll digest that then hopefully new PJ on the way. The very least Ed may so some solo gigs or new songs. Can understand if he's ok with the solo stuff from a cash point of view as he sells out the same places solo as the band does-that's huge bucks. But Chris defo had an effect-Matt may not have wanted to do anything for a good bit. There would have been this long to wait regardless as a new SG album was in the works. I don't think I'll get impatient for new stuff this time no matter how long it takes eh-just still really feeling for them.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    JT167846 said:
    Can understand if he's ok with the solo stuff from a cash point of view as he sells out the same places solo as the band does-that's huge bucks.
    What?  EV plays theaters.  PJ plays arenas, amphitheaters and stadiums.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    I just like the idea of a band going into the studio for a few weeks.  Writing stuff right there and recording it without editing it twelve times.  Just see what happens.  

Obviously way tougher for a bunch of dads.  I know i wouldnt want to be holed up in a studio for 12 hrs a day for weeks and miss my kids day.  
    I just like the idea of a band going into the studio for a few weeks.  Writing stuff right there and recording it without editing it twelve times.  Just see what happens.  

Obviously way tougher for a bunch of dads.  I know i wouldnt want to be holed up in a studio for 12 hrs a day for weeks and miss my kids day.  
    All the dads I know have full time jobs lol. Meet and record during school hiurs!
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,627
    Man I can’t  believe they’re breaking up. 
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 774
    JT167846 said:
    Can understand if he's ok with the solo stuff from a cash point of view as he sells out the same places solo as the band does-that's huge bucks.
    What?  EV plays theaters.  PJ plays arenas, amphitheaters and stadiums.
    I went to the Dublin gig in 2017. 14000 capacity and chockablock full. I imagine it's not the only arena he's done solo. Apologies if I implies every gig was in an arena. Would have loved to have seen him in Taormina. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    mcgruff10 said:

All the dads I know have full time jobs lol. Meet and record during school hiurs!
    :lol: true but i made that comment because i dont picture rock bands hitting the studio at 8am!  Maybe im wrong.  Does Stone bring Starbucks?
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

“Can’t Deny Me,” as a standalone single to coincide with their tour. “Yeah, that was fun,” Gossard says. “I’m glad we got to do that. That was a little bit of a star from one of the ones that we had recorded, so we’re hoping to get some more of that going.”

If this is true, maybe we don't want a new album  :o 

Am I reading this right? Does it really mean that was basically the best track coming out from the ones already recorded? Well.. I don't know what to think about it. Or maybe yes, I know, but wouldn't be safe for this forum. Man...
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357

“Can’t Deny Me,” as a standalone single to coincide with their tour. “Yeah, that was fun,” Gossard says. “I’m glad we got to do that. That was a little bit of a star from one of the ones that we had recorded, so we’re hoping to get some more of that going.”

If this is true, maybe we don't want a new album  :o 

Am I reading this right? Does it really mean that was basically the best track coming out from the ones already recorded? Well.. I don't know what to think about it. Or maybe yes, I know, but wouldn't be safe for this forum. Man...
    That’s how I read it. Can’t Deny Me is the best track