jeff on chris and recording

my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 331
edited January 2019 in The Porch

From Rolling Stone:

Pearl Jam: ‘Chris Cornell’s Death Has Been a Tough One to Wrap Our Heads Around’

After playing a tribute to the Soundgarden frontman, the band hopes to write a new album

• KORY GROW
  • JANUARY 21, 2019 10:09AM EST
BOSTON MA - SEPTEMBER 2  Lead guitarist Mike McCready L bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam perform live on stage at Fenway Park on September 2 2018 in Boston Massachusetts  Photo by Jim BennettGetty Images
Jim Bennett/Getty Images

It’s been six years since Pearl Jam released Lightning Bolt, and they’re feeling the need to write new music again. It’s just been slow going. “It’d be fun to record or even just write a song together,” bassist Jeff Ament says. “I think when Chris [Cornell] passed, that’s really been a tough one to wrap our heads around, and then there’s just life stuff.”

Cornell was an important figure in Pearl Jam’s history. Drummer Matt Cameron played in Soundgarden, and all of the band members were in Temple of the Dog with the singer before forming Pearl Jam. Ament, Cameron and guitarist Stone Gossard recently paid tribute to him a Los Angeles concert dubbed “I Am the Highway: A Tribute to Chris Cornell,”which also included performances by Cornell’s former bandmates in Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Audioslave, as well as sets by Foo Fighters, Metallica, Melvins and Miley Cyrus’ stunning “Say Hello 2 Heaven.”

Ament also recently paid homage to Cornell by serving as creative director for the Chris Cornell box set, for which he spent five or six days screen-printing vibrant, watercolor images of the late Soundgarden frontman with his brother, Barry Ament. “That was hard,” he says. “[Chris’ widow] Vicky [Cornell] had asked me to get involved with it, and over the course of the years, Chris would often reach out. I remember with the Audioslave record and a couple of his solo records, he would send me the artwork. Even the last solo record, I mocked up some ideas. I think he appreciated my sensibilities when it came to that stuff. So it was pretty hard to go down that path, creating that stuff and listening to the music. It’s just another reminder that he’s not here, and that just sucks. It really sucks.”

Gossard says that he, too, is ready to resume focus on recording with Pearl Jam. “We’re going to make a record, and we’re in the middle of it,” the guitarist says. “We’re just going to keep plugging away until we get one done.”

“We’ve gone in, probably, four or five times in the last couple of years, so we have a whole ton of unfinished stuff,” Ament says. “We’re just sort of in a little bit of  limbo. I’m sure everybody’s got a bunch more riffs, and I’m sure Ed’s got a handful of journal lyrics. It’s just going to take us all getting into a room together for six weeks and just knocking something out.”

Last year, the band put out a funky new tune with a swaggering guitar riffs and lyrics about standing up for your rights, “Can’t Deny Me,” as a standalone single to coincide with their tour. “Yeah, that was fun,” Gossard says. “I’m glad we got to do that. That was a little bit of a star from one of the ones that we had recorded, so we’re hoping to get some more of that going.”

Ament says he has plenty of music that would potentially work for a new Pearl Jam album. And if not, he’ll find other ways to put it out. “I just have a little groove where I write and paint and walk my dogs,” he says. “Some of the stuff, it could turn into Pearl Jam stuff, and if I get a big group of songs together, I’ll just put it out as a little solo release, which I’ve done three of or something. When I do those, it’s mostly to clean off the shelves and finish stuff; it’s stuff that has been on the Pearl Jam shelf for a few years and nobody is really responding to it. I think all of us have gotten into the habit of finishing stuff up and putting it out. This is a broken record, but I think I’ve said that I would record a lot more with Pearl Jam if that was what could happen. It just hasn’t happened for some reason."

st. pete '94
west palm beach '98
tampa '00
tampa '03
tampa '08
brooklyn '13
austin '14
austin '14
tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
ed - clearwater '12
Post edited by my_wave on

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    his last statement is telling. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    his last statement is telling. 
    yeah....kind of confirms what a lot of us have noticed
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • SB51117SB51117 Posts: 39
    Very enlightening interview - the over on a new album and significant tour has just moved out a while....
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,576
    Jeff is a true artist, wanting to complete songs and art he has started. Those unfinished songs are eating at him. Six weeks is a long commitment to be in studio, but imagine the magic that could occur. And in terms of touring or being away from family, 6 weeks is not really that much time. If the old formula of bringing in riffs and lyrics from Ed’s journal has gotten stale, then go back to the beginning and jam out in a room together and let magic happen. Ten was written mainly by Stone and Jeff as a response to Andy Wood’s death, so perhaps the next album will naturally form in response to Chris passing,
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    edited January 2019
    I think we all know Ed is the captain of the ship so this should be no surprise.    Ed is the face of the band and gets recognized most places he goes, whereas I'm sure that the rest of the band can pretty much go anywhere they want and not be noticed.  I could see where he could feel burned out on music as he probably lost 10 years of his life to Pearl Jam and being a hermit.  Ed hasn't released anything since Lightning Bolt except Out of Sand and that is just odd for a talented singer/songwriter like he is.  The Cubs fascination is just weird for an adult but shows where his passion is at right now versus others in the band.    He doesn't show up for any of the TOTD shows (not even to guest on a song in Seattle) or Chris's event.  That's fine but I think it puts the nail in the coffin that Ed isn't into making music anymore or right now.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    edited January 2019

Uh yeah, Im not so sure 2019 is the year a new PJ album will be happening.

Image result for bill lumbergh gif

Post edited by willbarclay on
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,823
     The Cubs fascination is just weird for an adult but shows where his passion is at right now versus others in the band.   
    I don't see how this is much different than many (most?) males in the world in regards to their infatuation with sports. He's just got better access to his team.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    The drive just isn’t there for Ed. Why go through the recording process when you can play sold out stadium shows?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    This whole interview is pretty sobering. It shows this is not a cohesive band. Having members that are chomping at the bit to make new music, but can’t because other band members are in a different space, is pretty sad and shows the direction things are heading. No surprise I guess. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,756
    You can look half empty or half full.  The fact that they have material from 4 or 5 recording sessions in the can to work from says they are further along than one would think.   Need a homestretch to get it done. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

The Cubs fascination is just weird for an adult but shows where his passion is at right now versus others in the band.   
    I don't see how this is much different than many (most?) males in the world in regards to their infatuation with sports. He's just got better access to his team.
    True.  I think our fascination with PJ is just as weird too.  Just like sports, the plays and songs are the same, but just a little different each game/concert. 
    I wonder if Kelly Curtis talks  to Jeff about comments like this.  I doubt it. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
      He doesn't show up for any of the TOTD shows (not even to guest on a song in Seattle) or Chris's event.  That's fine but I think it puts the nail in the coffin that Ed isn't into making music anymore or right now.
    Thats not music or writing related lol.  
  • CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    True.  I think our fascination with PJ is just as weird too.  Just like sports, the plays and songs are the same, but just a little different each game/concert. 
    Yeah, it’s funny. I was just telling someone how I think I’m too old to wear a hockey jersey...while wearing a Pearl Jam shirt. 
    At least no one is looking into these isolated quotes too deeply. 

He doesn't show up for any of the TOTD shows (not even to guest on a song in Seattle) or Chris's event.  That's fine but I think it puts the nail in the coffin that Ed isn't into making music anymore or right now.

No, but those are examples of being engaged in the process.  If an employee is constantly leaving early, not attending after work happy hours or team building functions, doesn't speak up in meetings, etc... than it means they are not engaged and there just to get a paycheck (or worse, will quit soon).  So, when one of the best singer/songwriters of his generation goes 6+ years without releasing any material of substance, doesn't even attend a hometown TOTD show, doesn't make it to Cornell's celebration concert, doesn't seem to be pushing any PJ writing, etc.... than to me it means he is just not engaged in the process.   Not saying those things are bad, but just saying to me they tell the story. 

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626

No, but those are examples of being engaged in the process.  If an employee is constantly leaving early, not attending after work happy hours or team building functions, doesn't speak up in meetings, etc... than it means they are not engaged and there just to get a paycheck (or worse, will quit soon).  So, when one of the best singer/songwriters of his generation goes 6+ years without releasing any material of substance, doesn't even attend a hometown TOTD show, doesn't make it to Cornell's celebration concert, doesn't seem to be pushing any PJ writing, etc.... than to me it means he is just not engaged in the process.   Not saying those things are bad, but just saying to me they tell the story. 
    The CC tribute is a bad example tho without me posting reasons that will get deleted.  Its safe to say even if he had an EP of CC tribute tunes he would not be on that stage.    

“Out of Sand” is a good example tho.  Lack of output for sure the last six years.  He seems to be less interested than Jeff for sure. 
  • I think the interest level is as follows:

1. Mike
    2. Stone / Jeff / Matt
    3. Eddie
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Maybe it's time for Pearl Jam to make an album and invite Neil Young to sing instead.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    It is possible that he just doesn't feel he has the right things to say at this time.

Pete Townshend is pretty damn accomplished musician and song writer.  He went almost a couple of decades without adding anything new to his musical thoughts.  Things happen. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    It might just be that your (and others') ideas of what "adult behaviour" is simply doesn't jive with reality. ;) Grown ups aren't anywhere near as mature as adults would have children believe, lol! We all grew up being fed this impression that grown ups are all mature and serious or whatever the fuck... But now that we're all grown ups, we obviously know that this is a complete lie. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited January 2019
    Certainly doesnt sound like an inspired band. More like going thru the motion out of a feeling of necessity, albeit at a snails pace. Creativity lacking. Stuff lying around, meetups every couple years, we'll put something out.....
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    PJ_Soul said:
    It might just be that your (and others') ideas of what "adult behaviour" is simply doesn't jive with reality. ;) Grown ups aren't anywhere near as mature as adults would have children believe, lol! We all grew up being fed this impression that grown ups are all mature and serious or whatever the fuck... But now that we're all grown ups, we obviously know that this is a complete lie. :lol:

You make a great point!  I sometimes wonder how some people get so serious as they get older.  And as I think about your comment, there are a lot of older people that don't get so serious.  Up until 6 months ago I was collecting stickers and getting close to age 40!
  • after so came out i waited another 6 years for us. i'm still a fan. that question was never in doubt. ever
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    Welp, that settles it.  Band's breaking up. :rofl:
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

Tool Laughs at your little six year break between albums 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    PB11041 said:
    At least no one is looking into these isolated quotes too deeply. 
    Exactly.  All it means is that the next record is not done. 
  • slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 682

“Can’t Deny Me,” as a standalone single to coincide with their tour. “Yeah, that was fun,” Gossard says. “I’m glad we got to do that. That was a little bit of a star from one of the ones that we had recorded, so we’re hoping to get some more of that going.”

If this is true, maybe we don't want a new album  :o 

Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 908
    There is an album on they way in the near future.  I'm happy with that.  All I needed to know 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops