Chris Cornell Tribute Concert

Comments

• Chris1401 said:

I will say that after you hear others singing Chris’s songs all night, you realize quickly that there is no one else like him. 
    Yeah, there were some great performances from some very talented singers, but from the videos I've watched it was very evident exactly what we've all lost, he was absolutely a one of a kind, incredibly versatile vocalist - let alone his writing and melodic abilities.  
  • iO letsgoiO letsgo Posts: 186
    halv said:
    The very end with Kim and Ben was by far the most emotional moment of the night for me. It was dark and mournful and angry and perfect. I shed a couple of tears.  
    agreed.  it felt like they were saying goodbye or maybe hello
  • Really wish I could have been at that show.  Seems like it was a great tribute. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    nosajh9 said:
    audio bootleg?

I taped. Will upload this evening most likely 
    Hell, yeah! Thanks for taping! Looking forward to hearing it.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    nosajh9 said:
    audio bootleg?

I taped. Will upload this evening most likely 
    Where? (Please PM if you must)

THANKS!!
  • NM70698NM70698 Posts: 74
    I attended the show.  Say what you want about Metallica playing two of their own songs, but they energized that place with their set.  Some of the show looks better on paper than it was in person.  There were certainly highlights, and I think Metallica was one of them.  
  • NM70698 said:
    I attended the show.  Say what you want about Metallica playing two of their own songs, but they energized that place with their set.  Some of the show looks better on paper than it was in person.  There were certainly highlights, and I think Metallica was one of them.  
    How was the Audioslave set? That looked great on paper. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    NM70698 said:
    cool! I stand corrected. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    I watched on Periscope (Jeffgarden) which I really appreciated although sometimes it was challenging to follow when the feed dropped. How that guy manages to record for that length of time is quite impressive. One thing that stood out for me was Stone's presence throughout the night, from playing guitar for other artists and TOTD, to announcing the TOTD and solo Chris Cornell sections, to his kind words about Chris and Chris's family. His gentle support for Lily Cornell Silver as she spoke about her Dad was really beautiful to witness. Someone earlier in the thread said that his speech seemed practiced but I think that he carefully prepared so that he could make the best of this last opportunity to say everything he needed to say about Chris. Stone seems like such a good man and I enjoyed seeing him in a more prominent role on the stage.
    I was personally disappointed with Audioslave for two reasons.  First I didn't care for some of the vocalists (in particular Juliette Lewis).  Second, as best I could tell, Tim Commerford was not playing bass.  It was definitely a different bassist on some of the songs.  So what is being referred to as "Audioslave" was really Brad Wilk, Tom Morello, and guest musicians.  Same for Temple.  No Mike McCready, and Matt Cameron didn't play drums on all the songs in the Temple segment.  I'm sure others loved the Audioslave set, not trying to step on anyone else's opinion.  It was special regardless.   
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    -Eddie is a classy guy, man.  Thats all im saying about that topic.  Much respect.  

-Stone gave a great, great speech.  Best speech of the night.  

-i keep reading that Seasons was great.  Missed that one.  
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    ^ one of those bass players was Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath. I was ok with it. Audioslave was probably my overall highlight
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    Miley doing Say Hello 2 Heaven someone posted to You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg1r2C8bUIM

She was awesome as was Morello. I thought the Audioslave set was fantastic. Great job by Brandi Carlisle on Like A Stone. It was a beautiful night, though I wish it had been planned better. Soundgarden should have played in front of the packed arena and many people left by the time they went on at 11:35 or so. They deserved to have the energy of the full crowd, especially since it was probably the last time they would ever perform together under the name Soundgarden.

Great job by Stone all night. I especially loved "thank you, Miley Cyrus. That was fuckin' great." BTW, as far as his speech being practiced, all the speeches were on two large teleprompters to the left and right of the stage in the audience. Stone actually was one of the few who didn't speak verbatim. He varied from the prepared text. I was sitting right at the front edge of the stage and I could see the teleprompters. Nothing unusual about that, these events almost always have them. I was actually surprised they weren't used for lyrics as well for the guest singers. They seemed to be using papers on the floor.
    I was definitely impressed with Brandi Carlile.  That woman has serious talent.
  • dsb328dsb328 Posts: 5
    I was there, it was an incredible show.  Miley's performance of Say Hello 2 Heaven was the best performance of the night; very emotional.  That song was written for/about Andy and you just hope Chris and Andy were together watching the show last night.

Was there a reason Eddie and Mike weren't there?  Their connection to Chris, besides being members of TOTD, can't be understated...
    dsb328 said:
    I was there, it was an incredible show.  Miley's performance of Say Hello 2 Heaven was the best performance of the night; very emotional.  That song was written for/about Andy and you just hope Chris and Andy were together watching the show last night.

Was there a reason Eddie and Mike weren't there?  Their connection to Chris, besides being members of TOTD, can't be understated...
    no one knows, and we likely won't. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    NM70698 said:
    I was personally disappointed with Audioslave for two reasons.  First I didn't care for some of the vocalists (in particular Juliette Lewis).  Second, as best I could tell, Tim Commerford was not playing bass.  It was definitely a different bassist on some of the songs.  So what is being referred to as "Audioslave" was really Brad Wilk, Tom Morello, and guest musicians.  Same for Temple.  No Mike McCready, and Matt Cameron didn't play drums on all the songs in the Temple segment.  I'm sure others loved the Audioslave set, not trying to step on anyone else's opinion.  It was special regardless.   
    My memory is a little murky, but was that Geezer Butler on bass?
  • CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
    Everybody is talking about Ed and Mike's absence but my question is where was Hiro? I'm surprised he wasn't there to play some of the earlier SG stuff 
    kaw753 said:
    NM70698 said:
    My memory is a little murky, but was that Geezer Butler on bass?
    Yeah it was Geezer on Bass. 

Here's a link to a good breakdown of who played on what songs:

https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/heres-the-full-set-list-from-last-nights-i-am-the-highway-chris-cornell-tribute-concert/
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    -Eddie is a classy guy, man.  Thats all im saying about that topic.  Much respect.  

Stone was MVP of the night. I could see the Teleprompter from my seat and during Stones’s speech he ad libbed parts he didn’t feel were natural or were sensitive as they scrolled down. I thought that was pretty cool.

Looked like Adam Levine and Miley Cyrus thought they had to prove they belonged on the bill, and they did great.

Juliette Lewis had a singing style that was a bit jarring during Be Yourself. She did okay on the chorus, but the verses I kinda cringed.

Dave Grohl came closest to matching the power of Chris’s voice. Awesome performance.

Seemed to be a lot of Metallica fans who enjoyed their set. They got their money’s worth.

Wish Brandi Carlile would have played Sunshower, she was really good.

Props to Taylor Hawkins for choosing to sing some impossibly difficult vocals. Another drummer who can sing.

Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23

Stone was MVP of the night. I could see the Teleprompter from my seat and during Stones’s speech he ad libbed parts he didn’t feel were natural or were sensitive as they scrolled down. I thought that was pretty cool.

Looked like Adam Levine and Miley Cyrus thought they had to prove they belonged on the bill, and they did great.

Juliette Lewis had a singing style that was a bit jarring during Be Yourself. She did okay on the chorus, but the verses I kinda cringed.

Dave Grohl came closest to matching the power of Chris’s voice. Awesome performance.

Seemed to be a lot of Metallica fans who enjoyed their set. They got their money’s worth.

Props to Taylor Hawkins for choosing to sing some impossibly difficult vocals. Another drummer who can sing.

Juliette Lewis was doing her best Patti Smith impression
    dsb328 said:

Juliette Lewis was doing her best Patti Smith impression
    I like JL (have all her albums, have seen her twice live), and I was cringing. Eeesh. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    Weird that eddie wasnt there
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    edited January 2019
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but there was a sign that they were recording last night.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    kramer73 said:
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but there was a sign that they were recording last night.
    Would not surprise me if this is on television at some point.  The whole thing felt like a made for TV tribute. I hope the charity got some big bucks last night.
  • I read that they're going to make a documentary.

Also, can we all take a minute to appreciate how good Miguel was on Reach Down, fucking stellar vocals.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Any photos of merch?
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Merch from last night's show is now available on Chris Cornell's merch site:

https://www.chriscornellmerchandise.com
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
This discussion has been closed.