Chris Cornell Tribute Concert

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    I still think they should have had Ian Thornley do a couple songs with Alain. But the show, from what I could stay awake for, was amazing. Metallica playing their own shit was stupid. Dave playing Everlong, however, was a nice tribute. 

The Melvins are just bloody awful. 

I'm a fan of Juliette Lewis but, at least on my feed, she sounded horrible. 
    I thought Metallica playing two SG songs and two of their own was pretty good.  
    I guess I just see it as a tribute show. you play his songs or songs that fit in a tribute, like everlong did. thrash metal doesn't fit that description, in my opinion. 
    Yeah it would be hard for Metallica to play a 'fitting' song for the occasion.  Fade to Black?  Four Horseman?  So Fucking What?  Not a lot of options for them.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I still think they should have had Ian Thornley do a couple songs with Alain. But the show, from what I could stay awake for, was amazing. Metallica playing their own shit was stupid. Dave playing Everlong, however, was a nice tribute. 

I guess I just see it as a tribute show. you play his songs or songs that fit in a tribute, like everlong did. thrash metal doesn't fit that description, in my opinion. 
    Yeah it would be hard for Metallica to play a 'fitting' song for the occasion.  Fade to Black?  Four Horseman?  So Fucking What?  Not a lot of options for them.  
    they should have played Ty Cobb. that would have fit very well. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1 said:

So it has to do with the genre..?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019
    Metallica could have played this. Could have been a powerful moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG5v_qx9q6M
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I understand why Dave played Everlong, and dedicated it to Chris. But I don’t get why The Melvins and Metallica played their own songs. It didn’t really make sense at a tribute show.

I think Metallica could’ve done a great version of Outshined
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    I'll admit to hating Metallica from teh black album forward, so I can't opine on Until it Sleeps... 
  • mrussel1 said:

Agree. And they crushed Master of Puppets by the way. 
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-TBD! 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019
    Hating Untill it Sleeps is so silly.

Hating the emo music video is one thing. But come on, be resonable.  
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    What a phenomenal looking setlist. Hope everyone who made it to the show had a great time. I imagine it was emotional to say the least.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Jbarker said:
    What a phenomenal looking setlist. Hope everyone who made it to the show had a great time. I imagine it was emotional to say the least.

www.cluthelee.com
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    nosajh9 said:
    audio bootleg?

I taped. Will upload this evening most likely 
    Awesome!!!!  :)
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Looks like a pretty amazing setlist, and amazing & emotional night for those who were there. Nice.
    Watched the Seasons video ... Adam Levine did a really good job, I thought.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
    mrussel1 said:

So it has to do with the genre..?
    well, yeah, kinda. generally, to me, anyway, tributes are songs that stir sentimental emotion, not want to make you throw your lamp out the window. or songs by the person the tribute is for. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    demetrios said:
    nosajh9 said:
    audio bootleg?

Awesome!!!!  :)
    Fan-tastic!!!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The Say Hello 2 Heaven performance - WOW! So good.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    The Say Hello 2 Heaven performance - WOW! So good.
    That was awesome.  Miley killed it.  
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    It was an epic - and very long - night. Show ended at around 12:15 a.m. It was quite disorganized at the start, which probably contributed to it going longer than expected. Things eventually smoothed out and the night as a whole had a very celebratory vibe to it (with a few moments of reflection - particularly the various moments when Chris's wife and kids spoke - that reminded me of just how real and sad it is that he is gone). 

Personal highlights (some of which I am completely shocked to say were personal highlights):

- Dave Grohl's very emotional rendition of Everlong
    - Stone w/ Maroon 5 - Seasons
    - TOTD w/ Miley Cyrus - Say Hello 2 Heaven
    - Chris Stapleton - The Keeper
    - Audioslave w/ guests - Set It Off
    - TOTD w/ Fiona Apple - All Night Thing
    - Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
    - Ziggy Marley w/ Toni Cornell - Redemption Song
    - the various clips of Chris's live performances that were shown between sets

Random thoughts:
    - Jimmy Kimmel was terribly unfunny and unprepared. They should've asked Jack Black to host the event (his 5 or so minutes onstage were hilarious).

- I thought Metallica's set was fun and reverent and the crowd was really into them. I just don't get why, during a show that obviously has a LOT to squeeze in and a limited amount of time, they'd choose to play Master of Puppets. 

- Tom Morello is a god. 

- There were some performances that were a bit of a drag, but everyone seemed genuinely happy/honored to be part of this event, and genuine fans of Chris Cornell, so THANK YOU to them for performing for free in order to raise money for a great cause and to celebrate the life/music of a man many of us miss dearly.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    :clap:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    I was there and really need a nap. Tom Morello is indeed a rock god. 
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    It was an epic - and very long - night. Show ended at around 12:15 a.m. It was quite disorganized at the start, which probably contributed to it going longer than expected. Things eventually smoothed out and the night as a whole had a very celebratory vibe to it (with a few moments of reflection - particularly the various moments when Chris's wife and kids spoke - that reminded me of just how real and sad it is that he is gone). 

Personal highlights (some of which I am completely shocked to say were personal highlights):

- Dave Grohl's very emotional rendition of Everlong
    - Stone w/ Maroon 5 - Seasons
    - TOTD w/ Miley Cyrus - Say Hello 2 Heaven
    - Chris Stapleton - The Keeper
    - Audioslave w/ guests - Set It Off
    - TOTD w/ Fiona Apple - All Night Thing
    - Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
    - Ziggy Marley w/ Toni Cornell - Redemption Song
    - the various clips of Chris's live performances that were shown between sets

Random thoughts:
    - Jimmy Kimmel was terribly unfunny and unprepared. They should've asked Jack Black to host the event (his 5 or so minutes onstage were hilarious).

- I thought Metallica's set was fun and reverent and the crowd was really into them. I just don't get why, during a show that obviously has a LOT to squeeze in and a limited amount of time, they'd choose to play Master of Puppets. 

- Tom Morello is a god. 

- There were some performances that were a bit of a drag, but everyone seemed genuinely happy/honored to be part of this event, and genuine fans of Chris Cornell, so THANK YOU to them for performing for free in order to raise money for a great cause and to celebrate the life/music of a man many of us miss dearly.

That is awesome! Thanks for share.
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    I left the forum at 12:20, got to the airport at 12:40, and pushed back from my gate at 12:58. Just landed in DC. What a whirlwind day. I’m exhausted 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I left the forum at 12:20, got to the airport at 12:40, and pushed back from my gate at 12:58. Just landed in DC. What a whirlwind day. I’m exhausted 
    Wow!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Hating Untill it Sleeps is so silly.

Hating the emo music video is one thing. But come on, be resonable.  
    Like I said, I can't opine on the song because I dislike Metallica post-Justice.  
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    jaduplant said:

I see the back of my head, nice!  Yeah merch line was a bit slow.  I was surprised that there weren't smaller stands throughout the arena like you see elsewhere.  
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    nosajh9 said:
    audio bootleg?

YEEEEEEES YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!!
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    jaduplant said:

I see the back of my head, nice!  Yeah merch line was a bit slow.  I was surprised that there weren't smaller stands throughout the arena like you see elsewhere.  
    After all the merch ran out, there was a sign posted in the merch area stating that items would be available online today. Hoping to get a shirt since I wasn't able to last night.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    nosajh9 said:
    audio bootleg?

YEEEEEEES YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!!
    There is video of the entire show from the first section off the stage.  I would be surprised if there wasn't someone enterprising enough to sync the audio with the video....
  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Interesting event. Some good performances, some that could have been skipped. You could definitely tell the event was loosely planned and rehearsed. A few glitches and very robotic like use of teleprompters for most of the speeches - including Stones speech, which felt forced and too polished. You could tell how much Chris and his music impacted all of the artists and friends in attendance - I was hoping for some more genuine reflection - Jack Black was one of the only ones that did so and it came across as such. 

The Foo Fighters were excellent. Dave Grohl brought it all night. Really enjoyed him fronting Audioslave. 

Was surprised with how well Adam Levine took on Seasons. Brandi Carlile and Fiona Apple were great as well. I wish they gave Ryan Adams all of Metallica’s time. He is very talented and I wanted to hear more than just two songs. Miley Cyrus really killed Say Hello 2 Heaven - can’t deny that at all. 

I will say that after you hear others singing Chris’s songs all night, you realize quickly that there is no one else like him. 
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 537
    i was lucky to be there, sec 210 not bad side of stage seats. shocked how quickly the merch ran out. anyway:

- could've done without the Melvins
    - wish the Promise was done with an orchestra
    - Alain Johannes is super talented
    - Stapleton & Carlile were two of the bigger stars of the night. really impressed by everything they did
    - one of my favorite performances was Josh doing Rusty Cage, he is the man
    - Tom Morello was MVP, the guy is incredible. Audioslave is so powerful, although i wish Juliette Lewis did NOT perform
    - Dave Grohl doing solo everlong was great and probably more enjoyable than the other Foo stuff last night IMO
    - it was cool seeing Metallica live but it was odd timing and odd song choices, just didn't fit with the night. that being said they're kick ass
    - the night seemed really unorganized, Kimmel was all over the place. they just couldn't seem to find the correct tone of the night, they would tell jokes after showing an emotional video so it was kind of confusing
    - Miley can really sing as can Adam Levine so no need to hate on them at all
    - obviously SG & TOTD were A+. tons of credit to Stone, Jeff, Matt, Ben & Kim plus the entire Cornell family.

with all that being said something still feels wrong hearing others sing Chris's songs. after being this event if i could go back in time im not sure if I'd want to attend just because there will never be another Chris Cornell. 

Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Looks like this was an awesome show. I'd love an MP3 of Metallica playing "All Your Lies."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.