Obamacare ACA (Affordable Care Act)

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited January 2019
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    weird...health care is expensive...who knew?

How does your health care expenditure compare to your budgets for food, car or home?

For example, if I were to ballpark annual costs : 
    • Health care insurance, Rx, and appointment co-pays : $2500 per year
    • Car gas & maintenance : $3500
    • Mortgage, assn dues, & home maintenance : $20000
    • Grocery/food : $10000
    • Student loans : paid off
    • Pearl Jam concerts, merch & travel : $priceless
    This is really rough napkin math.  But health care isn't so expensive for me when compared to other 'essentials'.
    You only pay $2500 a year for health insurance?

My plan is $9800 a year...
    single or family?

That's my single rate.  If my wife didn't cover herself, it would more or less double.  We don't have any kids, which would make it double again.  

So it still comes out to ~$2500 per year per person.  
    Just me...
    yikes, good luck with that
    I don't understand why you pay a fraction of my cost?  I do have the "Gold Package".
    because our health care system is broken

Gold package is thru ACA?

My coverage is thru my employer.  I do have a relatively high deductible ($6000?).  But I don't have any ongoing medical issues, so I contribute an equivalent amount to my HSA, which is invested and earning money.  At least it was until this year....
    Yes they had a Bronze, silver, gold.

So I went back to see what the hell is going on with this and apparently because of the amount I make a year is reflected on how much I pay.

For shits and grins I put in that I make $25,000 and my monthly payment was $292 rather than $816 I pay now.

I have to pay more because others can't.  Isn't that some bullshit...
    Actually we are paying less....the difference in premium is the government subsidy.  If the government wasn't subsidizing those with lesser income our premiums would definitely be higher.
    Subsidies are pretty much gone hence why my insurance premiums go up 20% every year.

Edit:  I wanted to add that this was how the ACA was signed on in the first place, all the subsidies but all of those are waning and prices are skyrocketing because the insurance companies still need to make their profit since the govt isn't fitting the bill anymore.
    https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/resources/individual-and-family/health-insurance-subsidies-2018-still-available
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

How does your health care expenditure compare to your budgets for food, car or home?

This is really rough napkin math.  But health care isn't so expensive for me when compared to other 'essentials'.

single or family?

That's my single rate.  If my wife didn't cover herself, it would more or less double.  We don't have any kids, which would make it double again.  

Just me...
    I don't understand why you pay a fraction of my cost?  I do have the "Gold Package".

My coverage is thru my employer.  I do have a relatively high deductible ($6000?).  But I don't have any ongoing medical issues, so I contribute an equivalent amount to my HSA, which is invested and earning money.  At least it was until this year....

So I went back to see what the hell is going on with this and apparently because of the amount I make a year is reflected on how much I pay.

For shits and grins I put in that I make $25,000 and my monthly payment was $292 rather than $816 I pay now.

Actually we are paying less....the difference in premium is the government subsidy.  If the government wasn't subsidizing those with lesser income our premiums would definitely be higher.
    Subsidies are pretty much gone hence why my insurance premiums go up 20% every year.

Edit:  I wanted to add that this was how the ACA was signed on in the first place, all the subsidies but all of those are waning and prices are skyrocketing because the insurance companies still need to make their profit since the govt isn't fitting the bill anymore.
    https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/resources/individual-and-family/health-insurance-subsidies-2018-still-available
    No they aren't gone.  They still subsidize the plans.  If they didn't subsidize then fewer people would have the insurance and the rest of us would experience higher premiums because of it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

Just me...

Not really - You pay more because you can at this point in time right now. 

What about when you were an infant, or if you lost your job, or grow old and can't work anymore?  Insurance helps to spread those costs around.  Not just for yourself, but for everyone.  This brings stability to the market, which helps to control costs.
    This is easy enough to break down.

You pay more because you can at this point in time right now-   This isn't very smart.  I don't want to pay more.  I'd like to pay as much as the next guy and an even playing field.  Non of this trickle down crap.

What about when you were an infant- Parents have insurance usually so this is silly.  I

What about if you grow old- That would be Medicare/medicaid/Social security benefits that takes care of this.  I pay in to it every pay check.

What about if can't work anymore- SS disability covers this too should I not be able to work.  Again this is something I pay into.

I had mentioned before that if for any reason that I should become ill I am quitting my job, getting welfare so that all my medical bills are covered.  There is zero point in myself trying to maintain a household and keep paying for insurance that is obviously overpriced so I'll just go the poverty route.

This is why this country is so screwed up with the whole healthcare thing.  If EVERYONE pays into one big group fund then there is zero reason that along with medicare and SS benefits that we can't have a universal healthcare for everyone.

I don't want to have to pay higher so that others can pay lower, that is what the SS/medicare/medicaid tax is for.

You have a very bad understanding of this.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited January 2019
    Talk about sticker shock seeing some of the premiums you folks pay.  You really need universal health care that does not include those gangster insurance companies.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…

• Not really - You pay more because you can at this point in time right now. 

What about when you were an infant, or if you lost your job, or grow old and can't work anymore?  Insurance helps to spread those costs around.  Not just for yourself, but for everyone.  This brings stability to the market, which helps to control costs.

You pay more because you can at this point in time right now-   This isn't very smart.  I don't want to pay more.  I'd like to pay as much as the next guy and an even playing field.  Non of this trickle down crap.

What about when you were an infant- Parents have insurance usually so this is silly.  I

What about if you grow old- That would be Medicare/medicaid/Social security benefits that takes care of this.  I pay in to it every pay check.

What about if can't work anymore- SS disability covers this too should I not be able to work.  Again this is something I pay into.

I had mentioned before that if for any reason that I should become ill I am quitting my job, getting welfare so that all my medical bills are covered.  There is zero point in myself trying to maintain a household and keep paying for insurance that is obviously overpriced so I'll just go the poverty route.

This is why this country is so screwed up with the whole healthcare thing.  If EVERYONE pays into one big group fund then there is zero reason that along with medicare and SS benefits that we can't have a universal healthcare for everyone.

I don't want to have to pay higher so that others can pay lower, that is what the SS/medicare/medicaid tax is for.

Please explain it to me because I think i'm all caught up.
  • Bronze, silver, gold.

No they aren't gone.  They still subsidize the plans.  If they didn't subsidize then fewer people would have the insurance and the rest of us would experience higher premiums because of it.
    I'm guessing you didn't read the article?
  • If I am wrong then I'll admit it but you've got to show me where.
    If I am wrong then I'll admit it but you've got to show me where.
    show you where?  Go to healthcare.gov and sign up for a plan.  If your income allows you get a subsidy.  It's all still there man.

show you where?  Go to healthcare.gov and sign up for a plan.  If your income allows you get a subsidy.  It's all still there man.
    Yes they are there now but there was an executive order signed by Trump where this won't be the case.  They are going to go away.  

The Insurance companies are raking in money by raising premiums each year because they know that subsidies are going away too.

It's criminal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goSdL4DfUuE

This is why Canada needs universal health care.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

single or family?

Just me...

Not really - You pay more because you can at this point in time right now. 

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    Yes they are there now but there was an executive order signed by Trump where this won't be the case.  They are going to go away.  

The Insurance companies are raking in money by raising premiums each year because they know that subsidies are going away too.

It's criminal.
    yeah that didn't work....subsidies aren't going anywhere 

It's criminal.
    I hope that is right and Trump's EO gets overturned and the premiums actually go down.

It's ridiculous how much I pay...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

It's criminal.
    I hope that is right and Trump's EO gets overturned and the premiums actually go down.

I actually don't think it's that crazy ridiculous to spend a 10th of your income on healthcare, it's just that for a 10th of your income you should actually get healthcare and not just the medical disaster insurance that we actually have.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

It's criminal.

I actually don't think it's that crazy ridiculous to spend a 10th of your income on healthcare, it's just that for a 10th of your income you should actually get healthcare and not just the medical disaster insurance that we actually have.
    Agreed.  I still have out of pocket expenses when I go to the doctor too.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    My prescriptions went up by as much as $10 each this year.  An extra $33 I have to spend every refill now.  Jesus fucking christ.
    rgambs said:

It's criminal.

34% of average income on housing 
    18% on transportation

Why is 10-15% of your income for healthcare & insruance so unreasonable?  

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I agree with gambs, 10% wouldn't be bad if we actually got healthCARE for it. But we don't. We get health insurance - a multi-billion dollar industry.
  • CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:

It's criminal.

18% on transportation

This person in the chart only spends $2500 a year on healthcare?  That must be out of pocket expenses.  Whom actually pays their premium though?

This chart must be for someone who lives in the midwest because you aren't surviving here in NY on that salary...
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:

It's criminal.

18% on transportation

This person in the chart only spends $2500 a year on healthcare?  That must be out of pocket expenses.  Whom actually pays their premium though?

This chart must be for someone who lives in the midwest because you aren't surviving here in NY on that salary...
    You dont really think everyone in NY makes more than 50,000$ a year do you?
  • rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:

It's criminal.

18% on transportation

Of course not.  If they make 50G they aren't paying that much on a car and that cheap on housing though.  They are most likely opting out for the health insurance too.

It's also very impressive that they put away the recommended 10% of their income away for retirement.

Again this is for someone in the midwest not NY...

You don't think that all New Yorkers actually live like this chart, do you?  

rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:

It's criminal.

18% on transportation

Of course not.  If they make 50G they aren't paying that much on a car and that cheap on housing though.  They are most likely opting out for the health insurance too.

It's also very impressive that they put away the recommended 10% of their income away for retirement.

No, I don't because it measures averages lol
  • rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:

It's criminal.

18% on transportation

NY is definitely not average...  One of the pitfalls of living here.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:

It's criminal.

18% on transportation

Eh, I'm sure there are as many people in NY that match that chart as people that don't.

• rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:

It's criminal.

18% on transportation

Eh, I'm sure there are as many people in NY that match that chart as people that don't.

I was curious so it says "avg long island salary makes $54,000 a year".  Then another says average weekly salary is $1200 a week.  These charts are all over the place...

Some people I know are "house poor".  We don't see them out much.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Hope it was worth it protest voters!

Supreme Court will take up challenge to Obamacare's individual mandate
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-will-take-challenge-obamacare-s-individual-mandate-n1146901?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

something something forest trees
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    CM189191 said:
    Hope it was worth it protest voters!

Supreme Court will take up challenge to Obamacare's individual mandate
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-will-take-challenge-obamacare-s-individual-mandate-n1146901?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

something something forest trees

I've been saying to independents who refuse to vote Bernie if he is the nominee, that ACA is gone and preexisting conditions are back if trump wins.

They mostly seem to be well off and dont care about ACA. But you get sick, cant work, expensive procedures denied,go bankrupt, then what?

It unbelievable the Court would hear this case. I guess they have to since the appellate ruled against its earlier decision?
    My ACA premiums went up $7/month this year.  

Oh...and Temple-n-groove....the subsidies are STILL there

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    edited June 2020
    Any thoughts regarding Trumpet’s midnight effort to overturn Obamacare?
     In the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, the Trump administration on Thursday urged the Supreme Court to overturn the Affordable Care Act. The late-night court filing came on the same day the government reported that close to half a million people who lost their health insurance amid the economic shutdown have gotten coverage through HealthCare.gov.
    Post edited by stuckinline on