Where does Pearl Jam go from here?

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    edited January 2019
    i will bitch.  that's what $40 is worth to me. (soon to be $20)
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Matts3221 said:

Good God People.

I know I wrote a comment on maybe the second page but again why do all supposed "fans" shit on everything this band does. Guess what if they sell a shit ton of merch they will keep selling the merch. If people stop buying it guess what less merch , this is simply supply and demand.

Put out a new album or tour more. Get over it , I love that fans are saying "if I was in Pearl Jam I would do this" well your not in PJ , start your own band and you can do whatever you like if you take off with it.

If they don't want to tour , they don't want to tour. If they are touring and don't want too all you end up with is shows were they are just phoned in and the same setlist every night.

If they don't want to put out a new album well again their choice.

One of my favorite bands of all time is Jane's Addiction . They put out three amazing albums and called it a day ( I know they have gotten back together since 97 and have released I guess what I would think are not the best albums since ) but those three were all the world needed.

Just be happy they still play shows , that they are happy with the way the band is going for them. They could have hung it up a long time ago. They have been doing this for a long time and if they want to play 10 shows a year and chill at home while helping the communities around them and spend more time with their family more power too them.

Dial it back a notch there fella.

All supposed fans DO NOT shit on everything this band does.

Maybe your misunderstanding the design of the "10c forum". We are here to support each other through the ups and downs of PJ fandom. We massage each others gripes and we revel in each others joys. This is the perfect outlet for merch, tour and music concerns. Please turn that frown upside down.

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    Matts3221 said:

Good God People.

I know I wrote a comment on maybe the second page but again why do all supposed "fans" shit on everything this band does. Guess what if they sell a shit ton of merch they will keep selling the merch. If people stop buying it guess what less merch , this is simply supply and demand.

Put out a new album or tour more. Get over it , I love that fans are saying "if I was in Pearl Jam I would do this" well your not in PJ , start your own band and you can do whatever you like if you take off with it.

If they don't want to tour , they don't want to tour. If they are touring and don't want too all you end up with is shows were they are just phoned in and the same setlist every night.

One of my favorite bands of all time is Jane's Addiction . They put out three amazing albums and called it a day ( I know they have gotten back together since 97 and have released I guess what I would think are not the best albums since ) but those three were all the world needed.

Just be happy they still play shows , that they are happy with the way the band is going for them. They could have hung it up a long time ago. They have been doing this for a long time and if they want to play 10 shows a year and chill at home while helping the communities around them and spend more time with their family more power too them.

Most of the people that have expressed non-fawning opinions do not have nearly as much invested in the discussion as you seem to. General feeling from many, me included, is if the band isn't all that invested in being a band that that impacts our role as fans. I don't think it's all that constructive to just kowtow to any and every decision (or non decision) these guys make. That is all. I'll just check out Neil young in Madison in a couple weeks.  He's still hungry. 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Jbarker said:
    Matts3221 said:

Good God People.

Maybe your misunderstanding the design of the "10c forum". We are here to support each other through the ups and downs of PJ fandom. We massage each others gripes and we revel in each others joys. This is the perfect outlet for merch, tour and music concerns. Please turn that frown upside down.

Well said. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 781
    There's a scream on Breakerfall that I totally thought was Chris .
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • JS81606JS81606 Posts: 73
    I just think the band ought to dis-band, go about separate ways, enjoy their side projects,  make music when and how of their chosing, as opposed to the pressure of writing and releasing music that is overly critiqued and compared to 1991.  These men no longer are those twenty year old anger driven musicians.  Besides Eddie and his political rants, most of the band to me has moved past that and enjoy dialing it back a bit.  I think (individually) they actually enjoy playing smaller venues and engaging with the audience more.  I don't want to see it happen, but if they ended it today, no complaints from me.  As with everything, a life cycle has an end.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    They have one more album in them along with a two years of touring.  After that they will all but be retired and maybe it is time to call it a day at what will then be 30 years.  
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
    edited January 2019
    JS81606 said:
    I just think the band ought to dis-band, go about separate ways, enjoy their side projects,  make music when and how of their chosing, as opposed to the pressure of writing and releasing music that is overly critiqued and compared to 1991.  These men no longer are those twenty year old anger driven musicians.  Besides Eddie and his political rants, most of the band to me has moved past that and enjoy dialing it back a bit.  I think (individually) they actually enjoy playing smaller venues and engaging with the audience more.  I don't want to see it happen, but if they ended it today, no complaints from me.  As with everything, a life cycle has an end.
    That's may be true, but if so, to me that kind of sucks.  I'm 67 and I'm still angry and driven.  The guys in Dinosaur Jr are about the same age as  members of Pearl Jam and they're still, as Mike Watt put it, "Kickin' like Kato".  Hell, the guys in the Rolling Stones are between 71 and 82 and they're still doing it.

Mid fifties and coasting?  Seems like a waste to me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

.Jbarker said:
    Matts3221 said:

Good God People.

Damn you handled that with class. I was just going to post the definition of "forum."

I post often here ideas and views about the band. Mostly unpopular, such as selling obstructed view seats without disclosure or locking out most fans from chance at best seats year after year.

I get the band earned their right to do what they want how they want but paying customers also have the right to express opinions and ideas

That's literally what a PJ forum is for.

we've overfed our tigers.
    vaggar99 said:
    Possibly... but still gitten' 'er done.  :lol:

brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Possibly... but still gitten' 'er done.  :lol:

overfed ourselves as well
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    To Australia and NZ soon I hope.  Here is a petition to get them here in 2020.  Please sign. 

https://www.change.org/p/pearl-jam-pearl-jam-to-tour-australia-new-zealand-2020

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Given that I still enjoy the live shows I'd rather they keep doing what their doing (playing a handful of shows when they feel like it) rather than no shows at all.

I'd prefer they not call it a day.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Matts3221 said:

Good God People.

True. I’ve been a fan of DMB forever and fans bitch about them too, and they actually still put out new music and tour more consistently than just about any band that has been together that long and people still whine. It’s a fan problem, and not a band problem. Phish is probably the closest band I’ve seen to giving fans what they want and remaining highly creative over the years. Of cousre their music lends itself better to that as well.
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Maybe they just stay together for the kids (fans, nostalgia, legacy, contracts, money, etc...) ... and it is hard to be productive and motivated in this context ... and I will be the last one to blame them...
    I would like to see them touring as much as Metallica but if they don’t want to, who are we to ask them to do it ?
    ... And there are plenty of great and enthusiastic bands that are touring with passion in small venues where ticket prices are reasonable and where you can meet the members to discuss the music, the lyrics and so one....
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    PJNB said:
    They are going back to the studio for a new album. They will tour after that new album.
    Well...there goes that theory.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited March 2019
    PJNB said:
    They are going back to the studio for a new album. They will tour after that new album.
    How has that theory changed? I never said when they were going back or have any clue when that will be but I do believe we will not see them live again until the album is done.  
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    How has that theory changed? I never said when they were going back or have any clue when that will be but I do believe we will not see them live again until the album is done.  
    I hope to still be alive when the album is done.  :wink:

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    I see what you did there. 

PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    I see what you did there. 

:lol:

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    If the band read comments in this thread and others then they may as well just give up. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    If the band read comments in this thread and others then they may as well just give up. 
    Jeff said what many comments here say...wishes the band would get together but it hasn't happened and no plans to. He sounded as frustrated as many of us
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    This is a discussion board for discussing the band. That’s what’s happening here
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I see your point but as soon as some dates are announced many of us will do a one-eighty and all will be right in the world again.
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,642
    They will be back.  Maybe the current state has been done for a reason.  We as fans sometime expect too much from them.  Everything they do recently is critiqued so much these days.  Maybe “Can’t Deny Me” was put out for a reason.  To test the water so to speak.  It really got a mixed reviews and I feel that if they’re going to give us new music they want to make it worth it.  They reached a point where they needed to turn the page or else wind up being a nostalgia act, which I don’t think they want yet.  This band has always given us 100%.  It’s music and it’s art.  To make it right and relevant  takes time sometimes.  I think they realize the past few albums were not their strongest.  In giving 100%, they want to make this next one just right.  Give them time to find themselves again.  With all the talent in this group it will be well worth the wait.  Most of us yearn for that creative and somewhat experimental part of their music to come crashing down on us like a huge wave as it has done in the past.  Let’s be patient and let that energy build to let them create that big fucking wave that will blow our fucking minds once again.  You all know it would and will be worth it.  🌊🤙 
    mvw said:
    They will be back.  Maybe the current state has been done for a reason.  We as fans sometime expect too much from them.  Everything they do recently is critiqued so much these days.  Maybe “Can’t Deny Me” was put out for a reason.  To test the water so to speak.  It really got a mixed reviews and I feel that if they’re going to give us new music they want to make it worth it.  They reached a point where they needed to turn the page or else wind up being a nostalgia act, which I don’t think they want yet.  This band has always given us 100%.  It’s music and it’s art.  To make it right and relevant  takes time sometimes.  I think they realize the past few albums were not their strongest.  In giving 100%, they want to make this next one just right.  Give them time to find themselves again.  With all the talent in this group it will be well worth the wait.  Most of us yearn for that creative and somewhat experimental part of their music to come crashing down on us like a huge wave as it has done in the past.  Let’s be patient and let that energy build to let them create that big fucking wave that will blow our fucking minds once again.  You all know it would and will be worth it.  🌊🤙 
    I would love nothing more!

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If Pearl Jam was making decent $$$ off albums they'd still be doing an Album every 3 years.  In no way are they irrelevant, it's just different times where some bands do not feel the effort going into making new music is worth it.  Time will tell.  I wouldn't panic.  I believe they all got young families, so they are trying to be there for their children as well.  It would not surprise that they become more active in their 60's
    Give Peas A Chance…
    If Pearl Jam was making decent $$$ off albums they'd still be doing an Album every 3 years.  In no way are they irrelevant, it's just different times where some bands do not feel the effort going into making new music is worth it.  Time will tell.  I wouldn't panic.  I believe they all got young families, so they are trying to be there for their children as well.  It would not surprise that they become more active in their 60's
    The families aren't all that young...Matt's son is in his 20s. Plus the families tour with them every time. And they can record in Seattle. It's not like they are the first musicians to have offspring...Neil young had 3 young children in the 80s, 2 with special needs, and all he managed to get out was [checks notes]...9 albums (plus several others that were never released) 2 films, develop a new way for special needs kids to use electronic model trains, start bridge school, and tour every year