The Idiot Thread

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:

It's that too.

Tell me you'd like to be the target of his affection though.
    Lol, um, no I would not! I would just like to see him in rehab!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    ^ I'd probably cause a wreck if I ever saw that billboard when I blew coffee out my nose in astonishment and laughter.  Good stuff.
  • Jason P said:
    ^ I'd probably cause a wreck if I ever saw that billboard when I blew coffee out my nose in astonishment and laughter.  Good stuff.

Just so stoooooooooopid.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    There should probably be a judicial abuse thread, but since we don't have one that I can find, I'm putting this here.

A 67 year old male judge in Kansas called the 13 and 14 year old victims of a pedophile the "aggressors", and gave the accused a sentence 8 years less than the minimum sentencing guideline because he found that the girls were partly to blame.

Judge Rips ‘Aggressor’ Girl Victims, Goes Easy On Sex Offender

Kansas prosecutors are considering appealing a sex offender’s lenient sentencing by a judge who called the teenage victims “the aggressor.”

Raymond Soden, 67, was sentenced to less than six years in prison for electronic solicitation— eight years less than sentencing guidelines called for, reported the Kansas City Star. Prosecutors said he contacted a 13-year-old girl on social media, and offered money for nude photos of her and her friends, and for sex acts. 

Leavenworth County District Judge Michael Gibbens said the two girls, aged 13 and 14, were partly to blame and downplayed the harm in Raymond Soden’s crimes, according to Law and Crime.

The judge said the girls went voluntarily to Soden’s home and accepted his money. He also dismissed the 13-year-old’s statement to investigators that she was uncomfortable about making physical contact.

“So she’s uncomfortable for something she voluntarily went to, voluntarily took her top off, and was paid for?” Gibbens asked the prosecution, according to the transcript.

“I do find that the victims in this case were more an aggressor ... in the criminal conduct,” Gibbens said, the Star reported. “They were certainly selling things monetarily that it’s against the law for even an adult to sell.”

He added: “I think that a 13-year-old who offered what she offered for money is certainly an aggressor, particularly since she’s the one that had to travel to Mr. Soden.”

The judge wondered “what kind of trauma there really was to this victim under those peculiar circumstances.”

“These girls are minors, and are the victims, not the aggressors,” Michelle Herman, president child advocacy center Sunflower House, told the Star. “Sexual assault is never the victim’s fault.”

The prosecutor challenged Gibbens’ comments in court, but the judge told him to take it up with an appellate court. Prosecutors said they are considering an appeal. 

The judge declined to comment to the Star on his sentencing of Soden.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/judge-girl-victims-aggressors-sex-offender_us_5c5931c4e4b00187b5547143
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • geezuz
    'Hide it well': Mum's advice after kids sickened by cannabis-infused chocolate

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/hide-it-well-mum-s-advice-after-kids-sickened-by-cannabis-infused-chocolate-1.4283264?fbclid=IwAR24zJEs7fVz0ENEKU26DRU1I8jGEmZlWS4QItUH7EIFfjw2D_g4081yWuQ

Well, at least this idiot is warning other idiots.  Wonder if these idiots have heard of locks...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There really should be a judicial abuse thread. Start one Often!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    There really should be a judicial abuse thread. Start one Often!
    Yeah, you know that would be a great thread.  Get a chance to see what's going on.  I'd say most judges are fair/by the law...but there are some out there that are certainly abusing their power.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • This guy is an idiot of the hand shaking variety (no... not McTrump):

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1096446435489443841?s=21
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    When you are on the run from police for a murder charge, it's best not to do illegal things that might draw their attention, even if they seem minor.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/murder-suspect-nabbed-in-nanaimo-after-being-stopped-for-cycling-without-helmet-1.23668019

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    You can smoke weed in Canada but get arrested for riding a bicycle without a helmet???  Do they give you citations for going swimming without inflatable arm floats? 
    edited March 2019
    Jason P said:
    You can smoke weed in Canada but get arrested for riding a bicycle without a helmet???  Do they give you citations for going swimming without inflatable arm floats? 
    No. You get a ticket. But that guy was arrested for possession of stolen property. He drew attention because he had no helmet, which is illegal and you get fined for it, and then the cop discovered the bike was stolen, which is when the cop decided to arrest him.
    Do you not have bike helmet laws where you are? I thought that was standard in most places.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    No. You get a ticket. But that guy was arrested for possession of stolen property. He drew attention because he had no helmet, which is illegal and you get fined for it, and then the cop discovered the bike was stolen, which is when the cop decided to arrest him.
    Do you not have bike helmet laws where you are? I thought that was standard in most places.
    Only bike helmet law in Ontario is for those under 18.  And it is rarely enforced.  I wonder how I got through my childhood and young years, no bike helmet, seatbelt laws were rarely enforced and the damn merry-go-round and those aluminum playground slides that were hot enough to cook breakfast on...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    hell no. most states don't even require them for motorcycles.  I understand the importance of using a helmet, but for a bike, how do you ticket someone if you don't require a license to ride a bicycle?  Sounds like Big Helmet has got their paws on you canucks. 
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    Only bike helmet law in Ontario is for those under 18.  And it is rarely enforced.  I wonder how I got through my childhood and young years, no bike helmet, seatbelt laws were rarely enforced and the damn merry-go-round and those aluminum playground slides that were hot enough to cook breakfast on...lol
    Well I didn't get through my childhood unscathed. I ran head first into a dump truck and cracked my head open. A helmet definitely would have helped! At that time, of course, wearing a helmet on a bike was unheard of unless you were professionally racing or something.
    But anyway, I didn't know there was any place in Canada that didn't have helmet laws TBH. It just makes too much sense. It isn't about the rider or whether or not they hurt themselves. In a country with universal healthcare, the law is meant to protect all of us from astronomical medical expenses for those who crash and bash their heads in.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    Well I didn't get through my childhood unscathed. I ran head first into a dump truck and cracked my head open. A helmet definitely would have helped! At that time, of course, wearing a helmet on a bike was unheard of unless you were professionally racing or something.
    But anyway, I didn't know there was any place in Canada that didn't have helmet laws TBH. It just makes too much sense. It isn't about the rider or whether or not they hurt themselves. In a country with universal healthcare, the law is meant to protect all of us from astronomical medical expenses for those who crash and bash their heads in.
    I tend to think that there is no point in a law in which the police will not enforce.  I do not know if municipalities can pass by-laws, they might...but nothing where I live.  Good point about head injuries.  I always wear a helmet when I bike, I know what whacking your head off pavement does, it hurts and leaves a concussion.  I believe Sikhs are no longer required to wear helmets on their motorcycles.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    I tend to think that there is no point in a law in which the police will not enforce.  I do not know if municipalities can pass by-laws, they might...but nothing where I live.  Good point about head injuries.  I always wear a helmet when I bike, I know what whacking your head off pavement does, it hurts and leaves a concussion.  I believe Sikhs are no longer required to wear helmets on their motorcycles.
    Yeah, and I think that is crazy. I've even seen Sikhs say that's just stupid. I can't believe Canada allowed that. What a mistake.
    ... Unfortunately, I've also seen people use this fact in a racist/xenophobic way. It makes me really mad, but at least it's a good way to identify people I want nothing to do with.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    Then Sikhs should have to pay for their own medical expenses related to head trauma resulting from a motorcycle accident.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    Just curious, on this train of thought, does Canadian law allow people to smoke cigarettes?
    In a system with universal health care, I have no problem with Sikhs who choose not to wear a helmet and I would never want the government to say you are not covered.  What about the person who develops drinking related illness?  The smoker?  The guy who weighs 350 and has weight-related diseases? The guy who twisted his ankle climbing a mountain?  And on and on.  I never want the health care system to ever exempt anyone because of a poor choice, or poor lifestyle choices.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Some idiot decided to honor someone with a dumb hat 500 years ago and now their descendants can’t wear motorcycle helmets in Canada. 
    It's not all of Canada.  Ontario and Alberta are the 2 provinces that I know of it.
    Give Peas A Chance…