Important Change To Ten Club Membership Benefits

Comments

• deadendp said:
    I hope all the people declaring that they're cancelling their auto renewals are ahead of me on the seniority list!
    Sent my buddy a message yesterday. "We're moving on up!" 
    But does seniority even really matter any more? Granted, I haven't gotten jack out of my membership in years other than the singles since PJ hardly plays in California, but I seem to recall the last time they did back in '13 all members are basically equal in the ticket lottery for GA...I got one show I asked for, not another...my number is pretty low (since '95), but does that even really matter anymore the way they seem to do things now?
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Pearl Jam, 
    I really enjoyed the Chuck Berry cover!
    Thank you for all of the singles over the years! I will miss those fun little gifts in my mailbox 

"So long ! And thanks for all the fish!"
    (Douglas Adams)

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    :open_mouth:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    He's calling people losers like he's in a Mean Girls movie...
    yeah, didn't really mean to reopen that box. don't really want to get this thread locked. #sorry

Honestly, what he said was 100% Bang on.

Although it would have been better coming out of someone else's mouth, but still true.

There has been to much whining and complaining around here for a long time.

yeah, didn't really mean to reopen that box. don't really want to get this thread locked. #sorry

Although it would have been better coming out of someone else's mouth, but still true.

the point isn't if what he was said was accurate or not. some things just shouldn't be said by a business head about their customers. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

That's what I meant when I said

"Although it would have been better coming out of someone else's mouth"

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Did I just spot a Spacy STAYSEA!?!

YO!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084
    edited January 2019
    JimmyV said:
    Might be a good time for Tim Bierman to surface and give his paying customers an update.
    the guy who called us all assholes? I won't be holding my breath. 
    When and where did that happen?
    back in 2011 I believe. 

rubysdad wrote:

We get it. Some people don't like some of the posters. Do we have to come on here with such negativity? If you don't like it, don't get it. I'm REALLY sick of assholes who think they're critics. Try it yourself. Start your own band. Run your own fan club. Moderate your own board. If you have to say you hate someone/something, please find somewhere else to do it. These guys are busting their talented asses to provide posters for (mostly) grateful, art-loving Pearl Jam fans and the last thing we want is for them to have to read such sophomoric drivel from losers.

Have a nice.

Tim
    I'll probably get lambasted forthis, but, to be fair, he's only calling the assholes, assholes. Not all the fans. If you self-identify, that's fair enough.
  • southpsouthp Posts: 265
    It's been a while since i've logged in here, but this news has me pretty down.  As a member of the fan club since '93 I remember that first single showing up and thinking "what the f*ck did I get in the mail??"  I had no idea it was coming, nor did my family have a turntable in the house at the time.  Decades later I've been collecting vinyl since the late 90's thanks for these very same xmas singles (yes they are "xmas singles").  The singles were the impetus for me to get into collecting and it's brought me years of obsession and joy and it certainly is a sad day that this part of the ten club is no longer going to continue.

My fandom has waned in recent years, and this certainly puts into question why I stay in the ten club.  But at least I get a tshirt.... right? Or is a pile of useless stickers again?  I guess I'll hang around for a bit longer. :)
    edited January 2019

the point isn't if what he was said was accurate or not. some things just shouldn't be said by a business head about their customers. 
    That's not really for the customer to decide though, right? You are entitled to run your business any way you like. The CEO can talk shit about all the customers, it doesn't matter. Of course, it's not a smart business move but it's their prerogative. If the customers don't like it, they'll complain, eventually it'll hit the bottom line and things might change.

The fact is, there will always be customers complaining. Always. I don't know how many 10C members there are, but most of them don't come here to complain.

The customer is always right, but sometimes they're an asshole and it's not incumbent on a business to just take that.
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    Thanks Pearl Jam/10C...It has been a great run.  Further, you owe me nothing save two annual singles from years past that have already been paid for.  Maybe a track of Mike noodling, Eddie throwing axes, Stone cleaning his coffee mug from PJ20, or even Dennis Rodman leaving the band another voicemail would be fine.  No pressure.  
    #reconsider?
    #rememberwhenPJwasFun
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited January 2019
    ^^^

Fair enough, but right now the 'assholes' complaining have a legitimate complaint. It might not be incumbent on a business to just take that, but it is incumbent on a business to at least resemble a business with regards to its practices lest they want the reputation of being shoddy.

They were a week short of falling three years behind on their end of the deal they developed for their fans and members of the 10C. And instead of getting to work and fulfilling their commitment... they pack it in without even having a plan moving forward from that. 

You can't have it both ways. If 10C management can call incessant complainers 'assholes' when they are being assholes... then disappointed consumers who have been shortchanged can- at a minimum- call them 'poor'.

Edit: this was in response to bazzer's post if it wasn't clear.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    ^^^

Fair enough, but right now the 'assholes' complaining have a legitimate complaint. It might not be incumbent on a business to just take that, but it is incumbent on a business to at least resemble a business with regards to its practices lest they want the reputation of being shoddy.

They were a week short of falling three years behind on their end of the deal they developed for their fans and members of the 10C. And instead of getting to work and fulfilling their commitment... they pack it in without even having a plan moving forward from that. 

You can't have it both ways. If 10C management can call incessant complainers 'assholes' when they are being assholes... then disappointed consumers who have been shortchanged can- at a minimum- call them 'poor'.

It's actually not. Businesses can run themselves as they see fit. Shoddily run business don't usually last long. 10C have the enviable position of having a tied customer base. They would have to do a really terrible job to lose all their customers.

People see things different ways. As I see it, they are "only" 1 year behind on the 2017 single and barely behind on 2018. You can shift the due date for those to the start of the year if you want, but that still wouldn't have made the 2017 single three years overdue. It's dumb that we haven't got 2017 already, 2018 should be out but they hardly ever came out before the end of the year, so it's not so bad. I just don't get the hyperbolic rhetoric that comes from some people.

Of course, it's legitimate to complain but eventually, if nothing else changes, you have to do something about it. A lot of the most vocal complainers will never take the one powerful action they have, leave. So it's just a bunch of empty belly-aching that accomplished nothing. Some of its constructive, sure, and I like to think 10C takes some of it on board (you can see it in some of the changes they've made - and subsequently been criticised for).

For clarity, wasn't the "asshole" comment about people bitching about other people's art? Armchair critics are the worst. Harp on about how people run their business if you like, but if people are creating art and you don't like it, just ignore it. Seems easy right? No one makes you buy, look at it, listen to it etc.
    But Bazzer wasn't talking about the yearly single. Lol
  • bazzer said:
    ^^^

It's actually not. Businesses can run themselves as they see fit. Shoddily run business don't usually last long. 10C have the enviable position of having a tied customer base. They would have to do a really terrible job to lose all their customers.

People see things different ways. As I see it, they are "only" 1 year behind on the 2017 single and barely behind on 2018. You can shift the due date for those to the start of the year if you want, but that still wouldn't have made the 2017 single three years overdue. It's dumb that we haven't got 2017 already, 2018 should be out but they hardly ever came out before the end of the year, so it's not so bad. I just don't get the hyperbolic rhetoric that comes from some people.

Of course, it's legitimate to complain but eventually, if nothing else changes, you have to do something about it. A lot of the most vocal complainers will never take the one powerful action they have, leave. So it's just a bunch of empty belly-aching that accomplished nothing. Some of its constructive, sure, and I like to think 10C takes some of it on board (you can see it in some of the changes they've made - and subsequently been criticised for).

For clarity, wasn't the "asshole" comment about people bitching about other people's art? Armchair critics are the worst. Harp on about how people run their business if you like, but if people are creating art and you don't like it, just ignore it. Seems easy right? No one makes you buy, look at it, listen to it etc.

Of course any business can run itself any way they want. You missed the 'lest they want the reputation of being shoddy' part to my post.

I'm not really down on the 10C. The announcement hasn't hurt my feelings or made me angry. If I ever get the two singles owed to me great! If not... oh well. To be honest... I never (and I mean never) listen to them. Not even once.

I switched to digital just prior to the announcement because I still want access to 10C tix in the event they tour any time soon and the 10C has always come through for me in that regard. 

I think armchair critics at least allow for some level of discourse. If there was no voice of dissent, this place would be pretty vanilla. I enjoy the 'which album is better' and 'which setlist is better' and (most relevant) 'which poster is better' discussions.

That being said... there is a little too much venom spit at some art and some artists in habitual fashion. Regardless, one can follow your advice when the heightened levels of criticism present themselves: just ignore it. Seems easy right? No one makes you agree with it or respond to it, etc.
  • But Bazzer wasn't talking about the yearly single. Lol

Well duh. What's your point?
    But Bazzer wasn't talking about the yearly single. Lol

Easy partner. My point was that we were discussing something unrelated to the yearly single and that's where you took this to.
    I guess it's just the hot topic right now. 
  • But Bazzer wasn't talking about the yearly single. Lol

Easy partner. My point was that we were discussing something unrelated to the yearly single and that's where you took this to.
    I guess it's just the hot topic right now. 
    I llikely did a crappy job of making my point in the first place (it had nothing to do with the single).

Succinctly: I just feel that if on one hand we can justify management attacking members for incessantly criticizing art... on the other hand we can justify members questioning business practices which have fallen short of ‘ideal’.

I’m going digital so I can get in on tix early and contribute around here. The loss of the 45 and a T-shirt don’t mean a thing to me. I should have gone digital a long time ago, but I never really placed much thought into it prior to recently.

Have a good night.
    I agree that a manager of a fan club has no business calling out anyone here and should have kept his mouth shut. 
    Having said that, I still find it funny and agree with what he said.

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    I remember Kat or Sea having to give rubysdad a timeout because of that post. Now that was funny.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    STAYSEA said:
    Pearl Jam, 
    I really enjoyed the Chuck Berry cover!
    Thank you for all of the singles over the years! I will miss those fun little gifts in my mailbox 

"So long ! And thanks for all the fish!"
    (Douglas Adams)

Hello, old friend!  (No, I mean I'm old, not you!  :smile: )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I remember Kat or Sea having to give rubysdad a timeout because of that post. Now that was funny.
    Haha. He got jailed? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    bazzer said:

That's not really for the customer to decide though, right? You are entitled to run your business any way you like. The CEO can talk shit about all the customers, it doesn't matter. Of course, it's not a smart business move but it's their prerogative. If the customers don't like it, they'll complain, eventually it'll hit the bottom line and things might change.

The fact is, there will always be customers complaining. Always. I don't know how many 10C members there are, but most of them don't come here to complain.

The customer is always right, but sometimes they're an asshole and it's not incumbent on a business to just take that.
    he sounded like a petulant child, or like one of the "asshole trolls" he was bitching about, not a professional running a business. it was embarassing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2019
    bazzer said:
    ^^^

They would have to do a really terrible job to lose all their customers.

And they know this. and this is part of what drives many people nuts. there is an arrogance there, where he knows that he is the only provider of many things people want, so he can get away with being a prick. there's another employee here that acts with a chip on his shoulder like this as well. 

For clarity, wasn't the "asshole" comment about people bitching about other people's art?

that's what started it, yes, but I believe it became all-ecompassing, as you can see by his comments. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    JimmyV said:
    Might be a good time for Tim Bierman to surface and give his paying customers an update.
    the guy who called us all assholes? I won't be holding my breath. 
    When and where did that happen?
    back in 2011 I believe. 

rubysdad wrote:

We get it. Some people don't like some of the posters. Do we have to come on here with such negativity? If you don't like it, don't get it. I'm REALLY sick of assholes who think they're critics. Try it yourself. Start your own band. Run your own fan club. Moderate your own board. If you have to say you hate someone/something, please find somewhere else to do it. These guys are busting their talented asses to provide posters for (mostly) grateful, art-loving Pearl Jam fans and the last thing we want is for them to have to read such sophomoric drivel from losers.

Have a nice.

Tim
    This is funny because the Tampa poster was one of the first posters I framed and I didn't even attend the show.

Great poster.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019
    Calling someone "loser" reflects really badly on the person uttering the words. No one has ever been sympathetic and at the same time called another person a "loser". It's always in a context on being (socially) superior and looking down on someone. It's a word used by bullies - e.g. it's Trumps favorite word.

Doesn't it go against the boards guidelines to behave like that? Did he get bars over his avatar?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited January 2019
    Calling someone "loser" reflects really badly on the person uttering the words. No one has ever been sympathetic and at the same time called another person a "loser". It's always in a context on being (socially) superior and looking down on someone. It's a word used by bullies - e.g. it's Trumps favorite word.

Doesn't it go against the boards guidelines to behave like that?
    :clap:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Doesn't it go against the boards guidelines to behave like that? Did he get bars over his avatar?
    Absolutely.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

Doesn't it go against the boards guidelines to behave like that?
    :clap:
    Yeah that was bad. Very bad. Ironic sophmoric drivel from the 10c.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2019
    Maybe that's why the communication is lacking so. It's biermans job to talk to us, but he's banned from posting on the board since 2011. Haha.

"I really wanna clear up all this vinyl single-business but I can't seem to login in correctly! to post about it!"
This discussion has been closed.