Cancel Auto-renew or membership completely?

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Try living in Asia.  Australia is the closest they come.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    It really does amaze me that we've gotten this notice of change in membership status in such a vague manner.  Gotta wonder what's up with who ever is piloting this ship.  The word "mismanagement" comes to mind.  If this were an NFL team, I'm guessing there would be yet one more head coach fired.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    I'm confused..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    If every member went digital and 10C lost half their revenue... you think they would take notice? Lol, only way businesses take things seriously is when you start messing with their bottom line. 
  • MedozK said:
    If every member went digital and 10C lost half their revenue... you think they would take notice? Lol, only way businesses take things seriously is when you start messing with their bottom line. 
    Other things should matter for a fanclub to the worlds greatest band though, than financial loss.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    This is soo sad. 
  • prlprl Posts: 124
    MedozK said:
    The only way that would happen was if fans stopped buying everything they put out, whatever it might be. When you have 5 different posters for a show and people are still buying ALL of them, or recent posters selling for $700+ on eBay like the one from Rome (remember that posters like Portugal 96 would go for 600 and that seemed like a lot?) then it becomes obvious that losing analog memberships to digital (saving money on production, shipping, replacing lost or undelivered items) is not an issue.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    prl said:
    MedozK said:
    The only way that would happen was if fans stopped buying everything they put out, whatever it might be. When you have 5 different posters for a show and people are still buying ALL of them, or recent posters selling for $700+ on eBay like the one from Rome (remember that posters like Portugal 96 would go for 600 and that seemed like a lot?) then it becomes obvious that losing analog memberships to digital (saving money on production, shipping, replacing lost or undelivered items) is not an issue.
    Plus as I mentioned in another thread the actual list of 10 club members is of huge value to the vlub/the band. Because it is a list of the names, locations and spending habits of their hugest fans. For things like tour planning or even launching new merch that has value. So even if everyone switched to digital they would still have that list.
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 335
    My wife and I have been debating on renewing membership or not.  Seems to have become a tax on the fans to be able to keep their seniority in the fan club. It also seems like the majority of ten club members pay this fee only for the chance at decent tickets. The lack of touring and poor music venues(stadiums) are making it hard to justify the fee. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    MedozK said:
    Actually... I'm not sure they make that much off my extra $30 for Analog.  I live in Canada.  They have to mail me tshirt and then a newsletter/single package.   I have to assume it at least costs them $10 to mail me each item.  So $20 of that $30 goes shipping which leaves about $10 for creating the tshirt/single/newsletter.

I think it's the first $20 that's gravy for them.   I don't think they keep much from the extra $20/$30 from Analog.
  • Decided for now just to cancel my auto-renew until they figure this s*** out.  As mentioned my renew is this month.  Not going to pay the same amount and actually have things taken away. In addition hate the shirt again for this year, not much incentive.
  • I went to digital years ago. Never cared for the shirts and extras you get. I joined because of the yearly single. Now I basicslly just renew to keep my seniority and get the occasional ticket. 
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    I’m kind of looking forward to the changes they bring. All I ask is they don’t drag their feet and they put a little bit of effort into whatever is next. Excited though. 
    I think you may be disappointed looking forward.  This IS the change.  Nothing new of worth will happen I believe.  They probably want members to go to digital because they are losing $$ on Analog and they can't get it right even if they tried.
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    CJ260717 said:
    I’m kind of looking forward to the changes they bring. All I ask is they don’t drag their feet and they put a little bit of effort into whatever is next. Excited though. 
    I think you may be disappointed looking forward.  This IS the change.  Nothing new of worth will happen I believe.  They probably want members to go to digital because they are losing $$ on Analog and they can't get it right even if they tried.
    this seems right
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I see no reason to cancel completely. If the 7" makes you cancel, then that means you've been paying $40 for a $10 vinyl.
    Switch to digital. 
    I doubt this will happen, but what 10c should do is allow everyone to re-evaluate their membership after the next update, either switch to digital or analog once all the differences are made clear. It does suck that they made that announcement just days before the year ended when there are some who have no idea what each membership package means now. I'd be frustrated if I kept analog only to find I paid the extra cash for a hard copy of Deep, but I'd also be frustrated if I switch to digital then they announce some new cool item that replaces the vinyl. Which is why they should allow those who renew this month the ability to change. But I would expect another 72-show tour before that happens.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    I'd pay $20/year just for access to the forum TBH. I wouldn't want to, but I still would. So $20 for that plus the presales plus the limited members only vinyl sales (although those are few and far between these days) is well worth it. What I don't get is why they don't also include a digital download of a boot once a year to digital members. Digital Download. Digital membership. It seems almost illogical not to put these two things together. I know why they don't do it ($$$), but it just seems lame to me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • We didn't have to pay for the forum once upon a time
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    We didn't have to pay for the forum once upon a time
    I know... I wouldn't mind if it went back to public, just because I'm a "the more the merrier" kind of person. But I get why they stopped that. It must have been a nightmare to moderate.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    I dropped to digital as analog has no meaning anymore. I still want better tickets and $20 a year is nothing for that luxury. 
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Zod said:
    MedozK said:
    Actually... I'm not sure they make that much off my extra $30 for Analog.  I live in Canada.  They have to mail me tshirt and then a newsletter/single package.   I have to assume it at least costs them $10 to mail me each item.  So $20 of that $30 goes shipping which leaves about $10 for creating the tshirt/single/newsletter.

I think it's the first $20 that's gravy for them.   I don't think they keep much from the extra $20/$30 from Analog.
    Keep in mid there are also years when they don't send out a single or deep magazine. So us Canadians pay a premium to to allow for shipping of 1 item.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Zod said:
    MedozK said:

Keep in mid there are also years when they don't send out a single or deep magazine. So us Canadians pay a premium to to allow for shipping of 1 item.
    Sort of. They will eventually fulfill that obligation (at least I have no doubt they will). So even if they are behind, they will eventually send it.
    Now I also don't believe shipping costs nearly what they charge. A very small business that ships a few hundred items a year can get significant discounts on shipping. I can ship a small bike for almost what they charge us shipping on the vaults. I'm sure they have decent shipping rates. In the US I'd be surprised if they spent more than $5 total on shipping everything included, if even that much. I'd maybe double that for Canada shipping.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'd pay $20/year just for access to the forum TBH. I wouldn't want to, but I still would. So $20 for that plus the presales plus the limited members only vinyl sales (although those are few and far between these days) is well worth it. What I don't get is why they don't also include a digital download of a boot once a year to digital members. Digital Download. Digital membership. It seems almost illogical not to put these two things together. I know why they don't do it ($$$), but it just seems lame to me.
    It never made much sense to me why they included a digital download with the analog membership, either.
    Zod said:
    MedozK said:

Sort of.  They were supposed to, and it sounds like they plan on sending them out (albeit, quite late).  I don't think they're shorting us the two singles/newsletters.  They'll show up (eventually).
    PJ_Soul said:
    It never made much sense to me why they included a digital download with the analog membership, either.
    I didn't think it was a bad perk, but I thought it was a bit cheap that it was for the lowest quality (mp3).   Then tried to ding you for an extra $5 for flac.  Would of been way cooler, if it worked for FLAC or even 1 show in cd format from nugs.
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Exactly. I hope they figure out what those things are ASAP so the Analog members will stay analog.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    My renewal date was today.  I just downgraded it to digital a week or so ago.
    But now at least I can continue to chat with you fine people for another year regardless of what they do. =)

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    RYME said:
    My renewal date was today.  I just downgraded it to digital a week or so ago.
    But now at least I can continue to chat with you fine people for another year regardless of what they do. =)

That's great RYME and I can see why some would stay on for that.

I'm seriously considering not renewing for these reasons:

I'm not a digital kind of guy. 
    I almost never download digital music. 
    The annual single is kaput. 
    The analog member t-shirts are awful and I never wear them. 
    I glance at the Deep magazine but never read it (most of it is difficult to read anyway). 

So for me, all the 20 or 40 bucks only buys me the privilege to post on these forms. I've enjoyed that a lot.  But pay to post on a forum?  I don't do that anywhere else.  I don't even know of any place on the internet where one has to pay to post. 10C has become a let down.  Bummer.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2019
    I wrestled with that the last few weeks.
    I would just bet that, the day after I don't renew  is the day they announce a tour that goes through my backyard like Alpine Valley or Milwaukee's new Fiserv Forum then there I'd be not eligible.  So I'll hang in there another year & see what happens.
    If they do nothing or another baseball stadium limited tour this will probably be it.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 291
    Easiest $20 decision ever. An unwearable t-shirt, digital bootleg download (of which I'm at least 3 codes behind in using) and a hard copy magazine which is now 2 years behind.

Hmmm, let me think about that.......
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    We're a community, and we all have our preferences.  I personally like the t-shirts, received a lot 45 vinyl with no ability to play them, decided to donate them to Wishlist parties.  It's a community, $40 a year for me, as long as I get my ticket presale, I'm good.  If that also provides the opportunity to get a t-shirt,  downloads, info on poster sales, I'm good.  It is sad to hear the 10club holiday release is ending but I see no reason to end membership.  I apologize if I'm wrong, but if you're considering not renewing your membership because of the end of the holiday release, then it sounds like you may just be a collector and not a fan of the band.