NCAA College Football -

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Don't blame teams for scheduling cupcakes, happens in all sports. I look at it this way,  a #16 seed will NEVER upset a #1 seed in the NCAA basketball tournament, so no need to have them play that game.  So it probably won't happen in football either. 

Also, getting fired up to play what is in reality a meaningless exhibition game is not the same as preparation to play in a playoff game that means advancing to another round. Its hard to judge bowl game performances that don't mean anything. 

Might help if they cut all these 2nd and 3rd tier bowls. Should be if you don't win at least 8 or 9 games, you don't qualify.  
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Don't blame teams for scheduling cupcakes, happens in all sports. I look at it this way,  a #16 seed will NEVER upset a #1 seed in the NCAA basketball tournament, so no need to have them play that game.  So it probably won't happen in football either. 

Also, getting fired up to play what is in reality a meaningless exhibition game is not the same as preparation to play in a playoff game that means advancing to another round. Its hard to judge bowl game performances that don't mean anything. 

Might help if they cut all these 2nd and 3rd tier bowls. Should be if you don't win at least 8 or 9 games, you don't qualify.  
    Agree on the blame idea...until there is a reason there is no way they are stopping this practice.

Also agree on the games -- Georgia is a good example.  I think Texas was stoked to have that stage, and UGA felt like they were deserving to be in the Playoff and didn't prepare well.

Do not agree on cutting the lower bowls -- I think perhaps they could look at limiting the number of bowl teams each conference can send.
    Example -- 2 per conference.  This would make it meaningful and still allow fans of small schools to have realistic bowl goals.
    Not everyone went to OSU, FSU, Miami, LSU, Bama, or USC. 
    I think a bowl with the CUSA Champ (UAB) and the MAC Champ (NIU) is great.
    Do I think the Boca Raton bowl sounds great?  No, but it featured 2 conference champs and I hope their students and fans enjoyed the hell out of it.
    If we eliminate the 3rd, 4th, and 5th place schools from other conferences getting bowls perhaps there is more prestige (worldwide!) for wherever these 2 conference champs end up playing.

Just some thoughts...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

16 seed UMBC beat #1 seed Virginia last year in the tournament 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:

I know, that was my sarcasm at everyone who thinks the #1 seed in a college football playoff  would never lose in a playoff.
    edited January 2019

Agree on the blame idea...until there is a reason there is no way they are stopping this practice.

Also agree on the games -- Georgia is a good example.  I think Texas was stoked to have that stage, and UGA felt like they were deserving to be in the Playoff and didn't prepare well.

Do not agree on cutting the lower bowls -- I think perhaps they could look at limiting the number of bowl teams each conference can send.
    Example -- 2 per conference.  This would make it meaningful and still allow fans of small schools to have realistic bowl goals.
    Do I think the Boca Raton bowl sounds great?  No, but it featured 2 conference champs and I hope their students and fans enjoyed the hell out of it.
    If we eliminate the 3rd, 4th, and 5th place schools from other conferences getting bowls perhaps there is more prestige (worldwide!) for wherever these 2 conference champs end up playing.

Just some thoughts...
    That was a the point I was getting at. All for a MAC or Conference USA champ playing in a bowl.  But a 7-6 Purdue or a 6-7 Texas A&M team should not be a bowl game.  Unless it was the Catalina Wine Mixer bowl. 
    Post edited by pjsteelerfan on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Virginia lost to a 16 seed in last year's NCAA tournament, but it is extremely rare (only time it's ever happened, and I think a 15 has beaten a 2 only 2 or 3 times).  But 8 teams is fair, I think.  You're spot on about the bowls though.  There are too many and they are meaningless.  Especially when you consider half the starters don't even play because they don't want to get hurt. There are so many bowls now that we have 6-6 teams going to bowls.  You can finish the year 6-7, a LOSING record, having gone to a bowl game.  Bowls are supposed to be a reward for success, not a token of mediocrity.  Hell I think last year or the year before we had a couple 5 win teams in bowls because there wern't enough 6 win teams to fill all the spots. And look at some of the lopsided matchups it creates, you have 10 win teams playing 7 win teams, 9 win teams playing 6, etc. At the very least you should have a winning record to get into a bowl game.  The whole 6 win prerequisite was when teams played an 11 game schedule with no conference championships. Rarely did a 6 win team make a bowl game then.  Mainly because there weren't half as many bowls as there are 1-A teams.  When you have 12/13 team conferences that send 9/10 teams to bowl games, something isn't right.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Just some thoughts...
    That was a the point I was getting at. All for a MAC or Conference USA champ playing in a bowl.  But a 7-6 Purdue or a 6-7 Texas A&M team should not be a bowl game.  Unless it was the Catalina Wine Mixer bowl. 
    We agree....and The Catalina Wine Mixer bowl needs to happen.
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    KC138045 said:

I know, that was my sarcasm at everyone who thinks the #1 seed in a college football playoff  would never lose in a playoff.
    Oh got ya. I thought maybe you were being sarcastic but wasn’t sure 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    There are twice as many bowl games today as there were 20 years ago.  We've had as many as 41 bowl games recently (2016).  In 1995 there were 18 bowls, 20 in 1999, 25 in 2000, 41 in 2016, 38 this year.  There are too many god damn bowl games and about half of them need cut.
    If I wanna see two 6-6 teams duke it out, I'll go to a Pitt/Wake Forest game in October, not the Quartet Office Bulletin Board Bowl.
  • There are twice as many bowl games today as there were 20 years ago.  We've had as many as 41 bowl games recently (2016).  In 1995 there were 18 bowls, 20 in 1999, 25 in 2000, 41 in 2016, 38 this year.  There are too many god damn bowl games and about half of them need cut.

Agreed.

Watered down and devalued. It's not hard to qualify for a bowl game.

Trimming back the number of bowl games will never happen for the right reasons though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • There are twice as many bowl games today as there were 20 years ago.  We've had as many as 41 bowl games recently (2016).  In 1995 there were 18 bowls, 20 in 1999, 25 in 2000, 41 in 2016, 38 this year.  There are too many god damn bowl games and about half of them need cut.
    When the Canes were killing it there was either the Orange, Sugar, or Cotton bowls and the Rose Bowl was about a parade not so much the game as the teams weren't competing for a National Championship but those were the 3 I always remember anything else like the Aloha Bowl was put on just to pass the time.

We also used to joke that teams made it to "The Toilet Bowl" if they were ranked really low.
    Rose Bowl is the top bowl - the Granddaddy of them all!

I miss Keith Jackson

• Rose Bowl is the top bowl - the Granddaddy of them all!

I miss Keith Jackson

#6 played #9...

Like I said...
    Even in the days of 18-20 bowl games, the lesser bowls had some marquee matchups.  The Independence and Sun Bowls used to be pretty big games featuring top 25 teams.  Now they each match up two 7-5ish teams annually.
    Camping World Stadium in Orlando held 3, that's 1-2-T-H-R-E-E, different bowl games this year alone.

I miss Keith Jackson

#6 played #9...

Like I said...
    I know you qualified it as being of a certain time period so you are not incorrect, of course.

If you look at the history I think the Big 10 and Pac 12 have won their share of national championships, placed NFL players, etc.

Plus -- I just love the game, and loved it even before I went to USC and became biased.  :)
  • Rose Bowl is the top bowl - the Granddaddy of them all!

I miss Keith Jackson

#6 played #9...

Like I said...
    I know you qualified it as being of a certain time period so you are not incorrect, of course.

If you look at the history I think the Big 10 and Pac 12 have won their share of national championships, placed NFL players, etc.

Plus -- I just love the game, and loved it even before I went to USC and became biased.  :)
    How come you like the Rose Bowl so much?  When USC was good for a few years they were in there and the game really meant something.

Any other time it was just a game to watch but there were some good matchups I remember.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

I miss Keith Jackson

me too, friend. one of the best ever!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• lolobugg said:

I miss Keith Jackson

Really?

I now it's quite the party and people sleep on the sidewalks to maintain their spots for the parade.
    lolobugg said:

I miss Keith Jackson

Really?

I now it's quite the party and people sleep on the sidewalks to maintain their spots for the parade.

nope. I was talking about Keith Jackson.  LOL, Chris.

although I would love to see a game at the Rose Bowl.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

I would like to attend one of each - Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Gator, Citrus, Peach.  The likelihood of any ONE of those happening is next to nil.

I miss Keith Jackson

#6 played #9...

Like I said...

How come you like the Rose Bowl so much?  When USC was good for a few years they were in there and the game really meant something.

Any other time it was just a game to watch but there were some good matchups I remember.
    You are just basing off from recent history I am guessing?
    No arguments there.

Growing up the Rose Bowl meant something...The Granddaddy of Them All, the Sun, the spectacle, etc...I also grew up in a place that was cold so the idea that it was Jan 1st and you could play in the sun like that, a beautiful backdrop like the Arroyo Seco and mountains?

Pac 10/12 vs. Big 10 (+) has yielded some great matchups.  USC-Michigan is the most frequent game and USC-Ohio State is the other.

This is college football excellence - look at the rosters from those games.  Amazing stuff.  Does it have ups and downs?  Sure.  Has it been as relevant the last dozen years?  Nope. 
    Not every Bowl Game is going to be #1 vs #2.  Give me USC vs. Mighigan/OSU in January, in the sun, with big time pride on the line? 
    Take it.

One of the things I loved about Pete approach was that our goal every year was to win the Rose Bowl.  If BCS/CFP/etc means that we can be in a bowl better than that, great...but the best we traditionally have been able to do is to represent our conference in the Rose Bowl, have Keith Jackson gloriously call the games, and to see how that sugars out.

Like I said -- I am baised now having gone to USC.  I think the beauty of it and knowing it was always top flight NFL caliber guys playing made it fun to watch.  (Not that Cotton, Sugar, and Orange didnt produce excellent matchups full of NFL type guys regularly.)
    Full disclosure, I spent a night in the South Pasadena drunk tank following a Rose Bowl visit, so I have personal reasons to root against everything Rose Bowl.  :)

• Full disclosure, I spent a night in the South Pasadena drunk tank following a Rose Bowl visit, so I have personal reasons to root against everything Rose Bowl.  :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

That is funny!!!

Agree with USC/Michigan games.  Very good.

I used to go see USC play in the Coliseum in LA and see all the see of red in the stands.  That stadium was always crazy.  When the Raiders played there it was even more a spectacle. I was lucky enough to see this as a kid as I was only in Cali for a few years.

Never attended a Rose Bowl though.
    edited January 2019
    I would like to attend one of each - Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Gator, Citrus, Peach.  The likelihood of any ONE of those happening is next to nil.

I got the see the semi final at Peach Bowl in 2016 Bama vs. Washington

one of the last games in a stadium that held a lot of memories for me-  Georgia Dome.

I paid thru the nose for those tickets and I was a pretty boring game... this was pre-Tua

EDIT- I will never step foot in that shithole known as the Superdome for any event.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

I remember being so excited for New Years Day bowl games.  It was an all day affair, usually starting with the Cotton Bowl, followed by the Rose, then the Orange as the night game.  There were usually other high profile games, Sugar, Fiesta, Gator, HOF/Outback, Citrus were all in there.  I used to know the conference affiliations, the sponsors, etc.  Now I don't even know nor do I really care.  I watched both semis on Saturday and I still couldn't tell you which game was what bowl.  That's how meaningless it's all become.
  • I remember being so excited for New Years Day bowl games.  It was an all day affair, usually starting with the Cotton Bowl, followed by the Rose, then the Orange as the night game.  There were usually other high profile games, Sugar, Fiesta, Gator, HOF/Outback, Citrus were all in there.  I used to know the conference affiliations, the sponsors, etc.  Now I don't even know nor do I really care.  I watched both semis on Saturday and I still couldn't tell you which game was what bowl.  That's how meaningless it's all become.
    I didn't realize that those were bowl games?!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!

So right about New Year's Day.  the 31st and 1st were always for bowl games.  Now? I don't know which bowl game is where or when I just watch the games and if the matchups are horrible I don't even bother.
    Exactly, Chris!  And considering how watered down and terrible about 75-90% of the matchups are, I hardly bother with bowl games at all anymore.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    lolobugg said:

EDIT- I will never step foot in that shithole known as the Superdome for any event.

true that.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I saw a Super Bowl and a NCAA championship game in Superdome.  It was fun.