NCAA College Football -

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    I’m as sick as anyone of bama v. clemson, but maybe the rest need to recruit/coach/pay better.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    What we thought we would see when the season started....Bama is best, Clemson is second best.  Hoping for a great title matchup. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    What we thought we would see when the season started....Bama is best, Clemson is second best.  Hoping for a great title matchup. 
    I am going to assume, for my own sanity, that you also meant we also knew we would see the Irish back in the playoffs as well. Just let me have that, if only for tonight.

Is Jim Harbaugh the Brian Kelly of the B1G? Recruits well and leads a big time program....to absolutely nowhere in marquee matchups. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Notre fucking dame. Holy fuck balls what a pathetic showing.

brian kelly is a drunk little  leprechaun 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Ha!  Sorry, brother, I did not expect the Irish to have such a good season. 
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Ha.  Must be driving Urban Meyer's brain crazy that ND was picked over them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RijB8wnJCN0
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Jason P said:
    Ha.  Must be driving Urban Meyer's brain crazy that ND was picked over them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RijB8wnJCN0
    Likely not as much as knowing that ND lost by fewer points to Clemson than Ohio State lost to Purdue. That's just crazy.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Not a good day for my Cocks. So glad Bentley will be out going forward. Here is to 2019. 

And Notre Dame? What the hell was that? Pathetic, but expected with them and bowl games. 

Come on Oklahoma 
    Yeah, that was a horrible game. I can't believe UVa shut us out.

How is Bentley out though? Did he declare for the draft (which would be a bad decision imo)?
  • Not a good day for my Cocks. So glad Bentley will be out going forward. Here is to 2019. 

And Notre Dame? What the hell was that? Pathetic, but expected with them and bowl games. 

Come on Oklahoma 

How is Bentley out though? Did he declare for the draft (which would be a bad decision imo)?
    Damn, in my head I thought he was a Senior for some reason. He is a Junior and still has a season left in the pocket, ugh. It’s not all on him, but I think it’s time for someone else. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Not a good day for my Cocks. So glad Bentley will be out going forward. Here is to 2019. 

Come on Oklahoma 

Damn, in my head I thought he was a Senior for some reason. He is a Junior and still has a season left in the pocket, ugh. It’s not all on him, but I think it’s time for someone else. 
    I was wondering if you thought Joyner or Hilinski would beat him out. I don't think that will happen, but you never know.
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Thank you LSU!  Hopefully this ends all the UCF talk
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • KC138045 said:
    No, their starting QB wasn't playing.

They did hang in there though so theres that.

Good game.  3 guys ejected in the first half, the LSU QB almost got taken out.

What a game.
    KC138045 said:

What a game.
    LSU was missing something like 9 starters on defense and had another player ejected. LSU mistakes kept UCF in the game plus the pick 6 that should of been called back. Reguardless if the score UCF does not belong in the playoffs 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • "My brain's a good brain!"
    Could have been bad news for those standing nearby!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    how fucking stupid to have that steer in an unsecured place full of people.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Ohio State Buckeyes Rose Bowl Champs!!

Washington fought back but we end the season with a good win. On to the Ryan Day era. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • mickeyrat said:
    how fucking stupid to have that steer in an unsecured place full of people.
    This had to be said. I agree.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Either less animals that can maul people on the field or more animals that can maul people on the field ... are you not entertained???

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    Jason P said:
    Either less animals that can maul people on the field or more animals that can maul people on the fiemold ... are you not entertained???

wonder where PETA stands on live animals used for commercial/mascot purposes?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:

What a game.
    LSU was missing something like 9 starters on defense and had another player ejected. LSU mistakes kept UCF in the game plus the pick 6 that should of been called back. Reguardless if the score UCF does not belong in the playoffs 
    One close game doesn't end all talk of teams like UCF belonging in the playoff.  They put up a better fight and played a better game than both Notre Dame and Oklahoma.  The last two seasons proved they do belong in the discussion.  Along with the many seasons of Utah, TCU, and Boise State beating up on teams in bowl games during the BCS era.  What does it hurt to put them in the playoff? Certainly no more than putting two Power 5 teams that got blown out.  If we gather anything from this weekend, it's that Notre Dame needs to stop getting special treatment and getting invited to BCS & CFP games.  They've gone 0-8 with an average margin of loss of nearly 21 points in their last 8 "New Year Six" bowl games.  If anyone doesn't belong in the discussion, it's them.
  • KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:

What a game.
    One close game doesn't end all talk of teams like UCF belonging in the playoff.  They put up a better fight and played a better game than both Notre Dame and Oklahoma.  The last two seasons proved they do belong in the discussion.  Along with the many seasons of Utah, TCU, and Boise State beating up on teams in bowl games during the BCS era.  What does it hurt to put them in the playoff? Certainly no more than putting two Power 5 teams that got blown out.  If we gather anything from this weekend, it's that Notre Dame needs to stop getting special treatment and getting invited to BCS & CFP games.  They've gone 0-8 with an average margin of loss of nearly 21 points in their last 8 "New Year Six" bowl games.  If anyone doesn't belong in the discussion, it's them.
    I couldn't agree more.

Notre Dame is way hyped.  They continually get their asses handed to them.

CFU w their starting QB in the game I'd think that the game is theirs.

Lots of stupid mistakes by both teams though with the ejections.
    edited January 2019
    KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:

What a game.
    I couldn't agree more.

Do you think that UCF wins w/their starting QB and LSU NOT having more than half of their Defense out to await the draft?
    I do not.

That being said, that was one heck of a game, especially the 1st half.  Some baffling non-calls by the refs.

I think there should (and will) continue to be debate about who belongs in the playoff, and that is OK.  Texas beat Georgia, and everyone screaming about ND and OU really was saying they thought UGA should be in and not UCF.  Never know.  Debate on this is good and let the top 1-2 teams fight for it.  (Vs. the way it used to be done when only they were in contention.)

So happy to see Urban out.  They tried like hell to let UW back in control but did just enough to hold them off.  The sport is better when the traditional powers play consistent roles so I hope that they will stay in the hunt annually with the new coach.  Wouldn't hurt to see Penn St or Michigan try to make the next step up on OSU, having those three all be good is only good for the conference and the sport.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Will never understand the argument against a playoff in College Football (Division 1, since all other levels have playoffs). I know the bowl "money" is what is stopping it, but I have to think a playoff would bring in even more money.   So many bowls were half empty or more, with terrible ratings. And there are reports all the time of schools losing money by attending them. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    eddiec said:
    By that account they should shrink all the playoffs for all other sports too. No need for college basketball to have a month long tournament or conference tournaments. We know who the best teams are by now.  The best teams have passed the eye test already like they do in football. Same with baseball, soccer, hockey, etc. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    edited January 2019
    I also think a 4 team playoff is intended to encourage conferences from ditching these horrendous joke games....unfortunately, the SEC is so much stronger than other conferences that their best team will always be able to schedule a 2nd tier school (or 3) and still make the playoff if they are great.
    Why would Alabama even consider dropping fuckless teams like UL-Lafayette, The Citadel, and Arkansas State from their schedule (they played all 3 this year) when their conference shows, with consistency, in bowl games that any team able to go through their schedule and championship game with either 0 or 1 losses deserves to be in?

I don't know how to fix this, really.  It is not Bama's fault.  Who blames them?  Until other conferences can make it a contest again I think this will continue to be an issue.  Clemson is out of their minds good -- but they are one team in that conference.  VA Tech and Miami need to get back to being top level teams. 
  • KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:

What a game.
    I couldn't agree more.

Do you think that UCF wins w/their starting QB and LSU NOT having more than half of their Defense out to await the draft?
    I do not.

That being said, that was one heck of a game, especially the 1st half.  Some baffling non-calls by the refs.

I think there should (and will) continue to be debate about who belongs in the playoff, and that is OK.  Texas beat Georgia, and everyone screaming about ND and OU really was saying they thought UGA should be in and not UCF.  Never know.  Debate on this is good and let the top 1-2 teams fight for it.  (Vs. the way it used to be done when only they were in contention.)

So happy to see Urban out.  They tried like hell to let UW back in control but did just enough to hold them off.  The sport is better when the traditional powers play consistent roles so I hope that they will stay in the hunt annually with the new coach.  Wouldn't hurt to see Penn St or Michigan try to make the next step up on OSU, having those three all be good is only good for the conference and the sport.
    I'm not writing them off, that's for sure.
  • I also think a 4 team playoff is intended to encourage conferences from ditching these horrendous joke games....unfortunately, the SEC is so much stronger than other conferences that their best team will always be able to schedule a 2nd tier school (or 3) and still make the playoff if they are great.
    Why would Alabama even consider dropping fuckless teams like UL-Lafayette, The Citadel, and Arkansas State from their schedule (they played all 3 this year) when their conference shows, with consistency, in bowl games that any team able to go through their schedule and championship game with either 0 or 1 losses deserves to be in?

I don't know how to fix this, really.  It is not Bama's fault.  Who blames them?  Until other conferences can make it a contest again I think this will continue to be an issue.  Clemson is out of their minds good -- but they are one team in that conference.  VA Tech and Miami need to get back to being top level teams. 
    Best two teams the last 4 years are Clemson and Bama.  Everyone is a second tier team.

That is why the playoffs shouldn't be expanded.  Try competing with these two teams first then you can expand the playoffs.