Where does Pearl Jam go from here?

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    nicknyr15 said:
    For the first time ever, the shows this summer felt kind of gimmicky. 
    I've felt this way since the 2013 shows. 
    What gimmick are we talking about here? The whole tambourine thing is a gimmick and overplayed imo but people eat it up and love it so I think I am in the minority on that one(most on this site would agree I would bet though). Aside from that what gimmick are they using? Also with the stadium shows aside from the setting you could take those sets and put them in an arena and they would fit perfectly. Is the setting the gimmick? 
  • “...and we’re excited to see what the future holds.”

If I were going to read into this, it comes across as nothing is on the table in the near future. It feels so distant compared to if they said “we are excited for 2019.” 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    For the first time ever, the shows this summer felt kind of gimmicky. 
    I've felt this way since the 2013 shows. 
    What gimmick are we talking about here? The whole tambourine thing is a gimmick and overplayed imo but people eat it up and love it so I think I am in the minority on that one(most on this site would agree I would bet though). Aside from that what gimmick are they using? Also with the stadium shows aside from the setting you could take those sets and put them in an arena and they would fit perfectly. Is the setting the gimmick? 
    The whole swinging on the globes thing during porch. The setlists started to get more formulatic. The tambourine thing. There are a few more things that are a bit off. Things that happen at the same times durring the same songs. 

All in all not a big deal. 
  • ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    New music and a hologram tour a la ABBA. Fan club gets to vote on the era for the hologram figures.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    ShanKathy said:
    New music and a hologram tour a la ABBA. Fan club gets to vote on the era for the hologram figures.
    OMG, now that sounds like a gimmick. 

I guess a lot of people like a show to be a big flamboyant deal.  In my years of concert going, a few spontaneous incidences like an audience member passing up a guitar for Pete Townshend to smash (he simple tossed it up in the air a few time and passed it back) or Jimi Hendrix having had enough with his amp cutting out and bayoneting it with his Strat, those were fun or exciting and unexpected.  But pre-planned gimmicks and hoopla are not my thing.  I go to concerts for one reason:  to see and hear good music being performed.  That's what we got in Missoula in 2012- great music played with passion and commitment. True, there were a few moments of speechifying but it was a benefit show so that was to be expected.  But no gimmicks.  It was great. One of the top four or five shows in my life.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    timdwilli said:
    The band is roughly the same age that the Stones were for Voodoo Lounge. The VL tour was 129 (mostly stadium) shows on 6 continents in just over a year. That's pretty astonishing. A comparable album and a tour even 1/3 of that would be amazing right now for PJ
    Voodoo lounge was also the Stones' 20th album. PJ has ten
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    NewJPage said:
    timdwilli said:
    The band is roughly the same age that the Stones were for Voodoo Lounge. The VL tour was 129 (mostly stadium) shows on 6 continents in just over a year. That's pretty astonishing. A comparable album and a tour even 1/3 of that would be amazing right now for PJ
    Pearl Jam's albums are quality though.  The Stones had singles and the rest wasn't very good. 
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    NewJPage said:
    timdwilli said:
    Doesn't that make it all the more impressive that they still had that level of creative output and the stamina for such a grueling tour?
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    timdwilli said:
    I’m going out on a limb and say that Mick Jagger and the rest of the Stones lead way more extravagant lifestyles than the guys in Pearl Jam.  Touring that much might be a necessity and not by preference or a reflection of their commmitment to music. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited December 2018
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:
    I’m going out on a limb and say that Mick Jagger and the rest of the Stones lead way more extravagant lifestyles than the guys in Pearl Jam.  Touring that much might be a necessity and not by preference or a reflection of their commmitment to music. 
    I would guess otherwise.  Mick Jagger is an economics wiz and probably makes a ton of money off his investments.  And Keith and Charlie just love making music and it's hard to picture them playing just for the money.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    The other thing was PJ tours weren't big to begin with.  '98 was 3 legs and 80ish dates.  '00 was similar.  Aside from the early period before the hit brakes and took control of their own destiny, they never did big tours like the Stones one being mention.  Therefore them pulling back is on a different bar because they didn't start out that high.

That being said I think the Stones have only played Vancouver 3 times in the last 30 years.   Did they take loads of years off between their mega tours?   I missed Steel Wheels because I was a kid and had no money.   I missed the 90's show.. well I'm not sure why.  I missed the 00's show because I had moved to Edmonton.    This year I'm going to finally see them play :)  Still it doesn't seem like they're an easy band to go see.
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:
    I would guess otherwise.  Mick Jagger is an economics wiz and probably makes a ton of money off his investments.  And Keith and Charlie just love making music and it's hard to picture them playing just for the money.
    So you think Ed, Stone, Mike, and Jeff lead more extravagant lifestyles than The Rolling Stones?

I love this place. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:
    So you think Ed, Stone, Mike, and Jeff lead more extravagant lifestyles than The Rolling Stones?

I love this place. 
    No, I think he was implying that they don’t need touring dollars to afford their extravagant lifestyles.
    edited December 2018
    on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:

I love this place. 
    Huh?  Where did you get that from what I said?

on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:

I love this place. 
    No, I think he was implying that they don’t need touring dollars to afford their extravagant lifestyles.
    Mick’s country estate... pretty sure the touring helps with the upkeep. 

edited December 2018
    I think we've reached one of those rare times where a Pearl Jam forum thread veers off topic.  :lol:

brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:

I love this place. 
    My bad... thought you meant that the Stones were less extravagant than Ed and the rest of the guys. 

on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:

I love this place. 
    My bad... thought you meant that the Stones were less extravagant than Ed and the rest of the guys. 
    No worries.

Compared to most of us, all of these guys live extravagantly.   Even Bill Wyman, who hasn't toured with the Stones since 1992, still has a net worth of $80 million!  I have no idea what $80 Mil looks like!

So, on2legs, where to you see Pearl Jam headed these days?

• Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    They definitely haven’t followed Neil’s path in any way, the guy has released 40 albums in less than 60 years. Meanwhile we’re gonna be at the 6 year mark with only 1 new song in between albums. They’re just gonna do them, touring without a new record is fine by me, touring with a record is fine by me. If they take a hiatus so be it. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    From here...well I think they’re waiting on Ed to put lyrics down to the music, from the very small info we’ve had, the guys have got together a number of times to lay down music, and there was a hint of frustration recently in either Mike or Jeff’s voice when quizzed on new album progress. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    From here...well I think they’re waiting on Ed to put lyrics down to the music, from the very small info we’ve had, the guys have got together a number of times to lay down music, and there was a hint of frustration recently in either Mike or Jeff’s voice when quizzed on new album progress. 

Yeah, Ed hasn't really provided much music lately.  Uke Songs was basically a collection of songs written in 2001-2003.    Ed giveth and taketh away it seems.  Everyone else falls in line.
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:

I love this place. 
    No worries.

Compared to most of us, all of these guys live extravagantly.   Even Bill Wyman, who hasn't toured with the Stones since 1992, still has a net worth of $80 million!  I have no idea what $80 Mil looks like!

So, on2legs, where to you see Pearl Jam headed these days?
    An album every 5-6 years and medium length tours immediately after an album release and then shorter tours in the years following until they release the next album.  Then they start the cycle over again. 

• guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    on2legs said:is that rearea micks place 
    on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:

I love this place. 

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:

I love this place. 

I think interest in his savings account covers that
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    2006 was their last big tour year. Since then The formula to their longevity is 10-35 shows a year (with 2017 being the exception).  My guess is they continue that trend. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    brianlux said:
    on2legs said:
    timdwilli said:

I love this place. 

I read an interview with someone from Metallica... and he (Lars maybe...) talked about how they need to do X dates every year to keep the Metallica-machine running and their people getting paid.

I would guess Pearl Jam also has X dates they need to do per year on average. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • NewJPage said:
    timdwilli said:
    Pearl Jam's albums are quality though.  The Stones had singles and the rest wasn't very good. 

Come on.

Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Tattoo You, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Goat's Head Soup, Exile...

The Stones 'early' albums (anything prior to Undercover) were awesome- just like PJ's early genius.

And yes... their later albums weren't as fantastic as their earlier stuff, but Backspacer isn't exactly Vs either. I do agree that their later pieces of work yielded some great singles as a bare minimum.

I didn't want your point to stand uncontested because it is not valid in my mind. The Stones are freaking awesome. One of the greatest ever without a doubt.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    to Australia hopefully.  Hurry up!! 
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    And South Africa....hurry up :)
    rustedsigns
    If I could, I would tell the guys in the band what my cousin Mike told me once: 

"Make the most of your 50's.  It's the best decade of your life.  You've lived long enough to gain a good amount of knowledge and wisdom and you still have enough energy and strength to do something great with it."

This is the time.  Ed is 54.  The other guys around the same.  This really is the time!  Make it good while you can!  In another ten years, you'll be feeling gravity's pull, trust me.

(To Boom, I would just say, "Hey man, you're doing great.  Just do whatever it takes to keep the aches and pains at bay!")