What book are you reading?

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    riotgrl said:

Really terrifying to read the neglect and abuse that this girl and her brothers and sister suffered at the hands of their mentally ill Dad and the mom who did little to protect them.  This family was a prepper/survivalist strictly Mormon family living in Idaho about the same time as the Ruby Ridge incident.
    I read this for a book club. It was a hard book to read because of the violence. Great book for a discussion.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I’ve been on quite a reading kick lately and I’m just blazing through books. I’m currently reading “Waging Heavy Peace” by Neil Young and Bird Box is on deck.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Stardust - Neil Gaiman
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Ms. Haiku said:
    riotgrl said:

Really terrifying to read the neglect and abuse that this girl and her brothers and sister suffered at the hands of their mentally ill Dad and the mom who did little to protect them.  This family was a prepper/survivalist strictly Mormon family living in Idaho about the same time as the Ruby Ridge incident.
    I read this for a book club. It was a hard book to read because of the violence. Great book for a discussion.
    This is one of those books that its hard to say I enjoyed but I am glad that I read it.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Roots
    Again. I think I love this book because it just covers so fucking much story. And because it is so completely wrapped up.
    Of course the reality of American slavery HORRIFIES me, not to mention the current results of it. It weirds me out that the history of American black slavery and its modern impact seems to be glossed over in so many ways.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    edited December 2018
    Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton.

I love Lin-Manuel Miranda's musical, and I wanted to get the full story. I'm not usually one for thick, dense non-fiction (it's 500+ pages, in a fairly small font), but Chernow has a very nice voice that keeps me engaged.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."

I AM MINE
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

I AM MINE
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited January 2019
    Just read this -- read business type books constantly and loved (loved!) the simplicity of messaging in this.  If you are in any way part of company leadership I highly recommend a few hours to read and digest this:

Almost finished with this one, also one I suggest.  (If you are a True Crime fan)

The love he receives is the love that is saved

There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Room to Dream by David Lynch 
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I went on a 8 month bender of reading nothing but books on the Mercury and Apollo space programs. Fascinating stuff, but needed a break...

Decided to revisit some past reads and started in on Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Amazing individual, great read

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I very rarely read more than one book at a time but after reading about a third of the way through Bohumil Hrabal's I Served the King of England:

I ran into a copy of David Hepworth's Never a Dull Moment: 1971 The Year That Rock Exploded:

and am thoroughly enjoying them both!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    brianlux said:
    I very rarely read more than one book at a time but after reading about a third of the way through Bohumil Hrabal's I Served the King of England:

I ran into a copy of David Hepworth's Never a Dull Moment: 1971 The Year That Rock Exploded:

I almost alway am reading 2 books at a time. A bathroom and bedroom.
    Bathroom book:

Bedroom book:
    Really enjoying this one, haven't read philip caputo before.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    I just finished Harry Potter #5 for a book club, and started White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo for a book club.

I AM MINE
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    Tried to read "For Steam and Country", because I like steampunk, and it seemed like it would be fun, but the writing is just so clunky that I couldn't really get into it. I guess it's YA, but nothing in the description indicated that (also shouldn't be an excuse for poor writing).

Moved on to start "The Lives of Tao" about two warring factions of aliens who can only survive on Earth by inhabiting human hosts in a symbiotic relationship. It's funnier than I expected, and pretty good so far.

"I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    Read the first 1/4 of this tonight.  For sure will be quick but it is good thus far

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Malroth said:
    brianlux said:

I almost alway am reading 2 books at a time. A bathroom and bedroom.

bathroom book (because they’re always crap and have two page chapters) should be anything by the zillion selling hack, james patterson. so many great books and any crap he writes becomes a best seller. :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    edited January 2019
    Almost finished with this one, also one I suggest.  (If you are a True Crime fan)

Just finished this one and it's excellent.  Not only well written when so much true crime isn't, but the narrative is structured differently than a straight narrative--and it works. 
    Also maddening in a way, now that a suspect has been arrested and there's so much that won't be known publicly until he stands trial.

Related image
    Currently reading this.  I've read several of Guinn's books and his writing is always very engaging.  Probably looks like I read a lot of grim stuff, lol, but my preference is for nonfiction.  I'm always wondering why things happen.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    I'm reading the Advanced Readers edition of the new Jojo Moyes book to be released in April. Bookseller Benefits, yay!

Just finished this one and it's excellent.  Not only well written when so much true crime isn't, but the narrative is structured differently than a straight narrative--and it works. 
    Also maddening in a way, now that a suspect has been arrested and there's so much that won't be known publicly until he stands trial.

Related image
    Currently reading this.  I've read several of Guinn's books and his writing is always very engaging.  Probably looks like I read a lot of grim stuff, lol, but my preference is for nonfiction.  I'm always wondering why things happen.
    Yeah, I want to read the additional chapter once they release.  Imagine they add to it again after conviction
    Also reading

I AM MINE
    The Craftsman kinda farted out but I still enjoyed the book, overall.

Picked this up last night: