BETO for PRESIDENT!

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife said:
    Sanders/O'Rourke
    oh God, do people really want Sanders? 
    I hope so
    its not that I am against him but i (and this might be ageism) want young blood in a way.  Obama came out of no where and won and i think the reason was that he was fresh.  I am ok with the person having the same beliefs but just want it to be someone new.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I think you have to look at the Democratic party makeup and understand that it responds best to charismatic, positive leaders.  Clinton and Obama fit a particular mold.  Beto does as well.  
    Interesting, I thought Clinton and Obama were quite different in regards to positivity and charisma.  Regardless, are you saying that charisma and positivity are more important than actual success or policies?  Seems a bit surface level.
    that would be Bill not Hillary......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I think you have to look at the Democratic party makeup and understand that it responds best to charismatic, positive leaders.  Clinton and Obama fit a particular mold.  Beto does as well.  
    Interesting, I thought Clinton and Obama were quite different in regards to positivity and charisma.  Regardless, are you saying that charisma and positivity are more important than actual success or policies?  Seems a bit surface level.
    that would be Bill not Hillary......
    That makes a bit more sense, ha!
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Sanders/O'Rourke
    I hope so
    its not that I am against him but i (and this might be ageism) want young blood in a way.  Obama came out of no where and won and i think the reason was that he was fresh.  I am ok with the person having the same beliefs but just want it to be someone new.
    Brown/O'Rourke
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Sanders/O'Rourke
    I hope so
    I think Beto has more "Obama" to him than any of the names being floated for the nomination.  He's a fairly fresh face who will move us from the same ol' shit (see: BushBush/ClintonClinton).  He's energetic and should be able to bring people to the polls like Obama and unlike Hillary.  He doesn't seem to have skeleton's in his closet.  Is he experienced enough?  Well, Trump can't really attack him on that front.

Beating Trump is important.  Important enough that I care more about electability than issues, knowledge, or experience (particularly since it is flat out impossible that anyone elected would handle the role worse than Trump).  At this point, Beto looks more electable than anyone.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Sanders/O'Rourke
    I hope so
    I think Beto has more "Obama" to him than any of the names being floated for the nomination.  He's a fairly fresh face who will move us from the same ol' shit (see: BushBush/ClintonClinton).  He's energetic and should be able to bring people to the polls like Obama and unlike Hillary.  He doesn't seem to have skeleton's in his closet.  Is he experienced enough?  Well, Trump can't really attack him on that front.

Beating Trump is important.  Important enough that I care more about electability than issues, knowledge, or experience (particularly since it is flat out impossible that anyone elected would handle the role worse than Trump).  At this point, Beto looks more electable than anyone.  
    his one skeleton is a DUI, but it's out of the closet. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    The contrast between him and Trump would be staggering, could you imagine.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    he's a white male, so that's something for Trump's base to consider. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

he's a white male, so that's something for Trump's base to consider. 
    I think his base likes orange better than white, but I will give you the male part.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The more charismatic candidate won each time. Policy and experience be damned. 

1992: B. Clinton over Bush Sr.
    1996: B. Clinton over Dole 
    2000: Bush Jr. over Gore 
    2004: Bush Jr. over Kerry
    2008: Obama over McCain
    2012: Obama over Romney
    2016: Trump over H. Clinton

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJPOWER said:
    JimmyV said:
    A Democrat that can get 4 million votes in Texas is doing something right. I would have to get to know him a little more before giving him my vote, but he would be a great addition to the primary.
    He did spend a ton more money on campaigning in TX than his opponent. That may have been a bit of a factor...but he still lost.
    I believe I heard on NPR, I know, GASP, that the candidate that spent the most won, in every race, regardless of party. “Corporations are people, my friend.” It was an interview with someone from Blue Wave which allows small money donors to donate to Dems anywhere. They act as a clearinghouse and every dem member of Congress is in their database.
    I just felt something in the force awaken, Watson

Democracy? Free elections? Your vote counts? It's a fucking auction, and you know it as well as i do, brother. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    edited November 2018
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    JimmyV said:
    A Democrat that can get 4 million votes in Texas is doing something right. I would have to get to know him a little more before giving him my vote, but he would be a great addition to the primary.
    He did spend a ton more money on campaigning in TX than his opponent. That may have been a bit of a factor...but he still lost.
    I believe I heard on NPR, I know, GASP, that the candidate that spent the most won, in every race, regardless of party. “Corporations are people, my friend.” It was an interview with someone from Blue Wave which allows small money donors to donate to Dems anywhere. They act as a clearinghouse and every dem member of Congress is in their database.
    I just felt something in the force awaken, Watson

Democracy? Free elections? Your vote counts? It's a fucking auction, and you know it as well as i do, brother. 
    Tell it to some candidate in some podunk town who won by one vote in a region of the country that you’ve been squawking about of late. It’s not an auction as much as a deterrent.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    If you declare now, don't you just give Russia Trump people more time to dig up find dirt on you?
    Seems early.
    I would think the worst thing that can happen for the Democratic Party with regard to the 2020 Presidential Election is to have a large number of people up on the stage when things start up for the primaries.  Look where it lead for the Republican Party in 2016....I thought things would sugar out to reveal the best candidate and it left room for Captain Deflector to creep through to the nomination.

So....right now it would be Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, perhaps Joe Biden, and Hillary Clinton.  Beto O'Rourke is going to jump into that?  Who knows, perhaps that allows him to 'Pull a Trump' and get through the previously thought of front runners to the nomination.

Ugggghhhh.

I cannot state enough how much I dislike our current leadership.  Looking to me like 4 more years of nonsensical rambling from the Oval Office.  Perhaps our Juggler will hit the jackpot and Orangey will be caught with something strong enough to hold up and get him bounced.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    If you declare now, don't you just give Russia Trump people more time to dig up find dirt on you?
    They are doing that with any conceivable candidate as we speak, anyway.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    OnWis97 said:
    They are doing that with any conceivable candidate as we speak, anyway.
    Yeah, I am sure you are correct.
    What is a few million bucks spent on discrediting random potential candidates, at this point?
    Nothing else could be done with that money.
    :sick:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Sanders/O'Rourke
    I hope so
    Yeah but tRump isn't fresh.  I think we need the wise old man to kick everyone's ass with truth and real policy instead of bloviating assholes.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited December 2018

Beto O’Rourke frequently voted for Republican legislation, analysis reveals

Review of his six-year record in Congress shows Democrat frequently opposed own party, and supported bills that boosted the fossil fuel industry and Trump’s immigration policy

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/20/beto-orourke-congressional-votes-analysis-capital-and-main
    Post edited by dignin on
    dignin said:

Review of his six-year record in Congress shows Democrat frequently opposed own party, and supported bills that boosted the fossil fuel industry and Trump’s immigration policy

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/20/beto-orourke-congressional-votes-analysis-capital-and-main
    Beto for Presidento!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    dignin said:

Even better.  Give me a moderate. 
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Haha. I figured you would be pleased.

Whoever is up against Trump I'm in 100%
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

To be clear,  I have no opinion on what the specific issues are that led to him voting with the GOP. I didn't look that up.  Im just saying someone who isn't party line voting is fine with me. 
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited December 2018
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Sanders/O'Rourke
    I hope so

We have to be careful about accepting electability over proper leading indicators which could show a strong propensity to lead. For two years now anti-Trump citizens have scoffed at leading through gut instinct (which is largely a comfort and familiarity-driven behaviour), but I’d say gut feel is how this nation of millions is largely choosing to vote. That doesn’t seem better. The President must be in Sales, but also must possess demonstrated qualifications.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Sanders/O'Rourke
    I hope so

We have to be careful about accepting electability over proper leading indicators which could show a strong propensity to lead. For two years now anti-Trump citizens have scoffed at leading through gut instinct (which is largely a comfort and familiarity-driven behaviour), but I’d say gut feel is how this nation of millions is largely choosing to vote. That doesn’t seem better. The President must be in Sales, but also must possess demonstrated qualifications.

I hear you but I think those people have always been there,  just that the people with brains have over ridden them.   What we learned last week about the social media suppression campaigns was eye opening.  I trust our voters won't be fooled again...I hope. 
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

To be clear,  I have no opinion on what the specific issues are that led to him voting with the GOP. I didn't look that up.  Im just saying someone who isn't party line voting is fine with me. 
    Fine with me too, but would he stand a chance in the primary debates?  Seems like a talking point that could put him on the defensive.  If he made it through the primaries, he would probably get elected, though.  Landslidish even, maybe.  

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    fife said:
    fife said:
    Sanders/O'Rourke
    I hope so

I hear you but I think those people have always been there,  just that the people with brains have over ridden them.   What we learned last week about the social media suppression campaigns was eye opening.  I trust our voters won't be fooled again...I hope. 
    I hope you’re right, my friend!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Fine with me too, but would he stand a chance in the primary debates?  Seems like a talking point that could put him on the defensive.  If he made it through the primaries, he would probably get elected, though.  Landslidish even, maybe.  

Yup. This could come back to haunt him in the primaries.
  • foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    wow, so a guy who is irish pretending to be latino is okay. fleeing from a dui/accident is okay. 90% of his funds came from outside of the state. there were numerous stories of voter fraud in the state. i see you are setting your standards high
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
    wow, so a guy who is irish pretending to be latino is okay. fleeing from a dui/accident is okay. 90% of his funds came from outside of the state. there were numerous stories of voter fraud in the state. i see you are setting your standards high
    His last name starts with an O'... if these are really the three contra things you can come up with while that corrupt fuck sits in the White House,  then this is literally the silliest post on the AMT all year. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Yeah I like that!
    hippiemom = goodness