22% 8 votes
Hell No
2% 1 vote
Never Made It Through the Whole Thing
20% 7 votes

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    Just out of curiosity, are there any women here who like the movie Scarface? I've only ever known of men liking that movie.
    I'm a man, and Scarface sucks!

It's one of the worst films ever made. Not one element of it is good--acting, directing, writing, cinematography, art direction, set design, costume design, music; it's all over-the-top terrible! I feel like someone slapped me in the face with a brick for three hours after I watched it just to make sure that I got the point to a rather pointless endeavor.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    ^^What HE said.

Plus that accent reminds me of when Doug did the "Rico voice" on King of Queens.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I saw it but couldn't tell you a think about it besides the fact the Al Pacino was in it.  I must not have liked it much.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Is there an option for “never even tried to watch it”? 

I am just not a big movie fan. 

#seldomviewing
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Too long.  Watched parts of it here and there, never enough to make me want to watch the whole thing.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    edited December 2018
    It's incredibly misogynistic -- and pretty goddamn racist, too.

Both of which you'd expect from an Oliver Stone script.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited December 2018
    dankind said:
    It's incredibly misogynistic -- and pretty goddamn racist, too.

Both of which you'd expect from an Oliver Stone script.
    I was so thrilled that women were responding to the question, and now I feel like an idiot! I've only seen pieces of it. 

How shall you fix this dankind? :lol:    Can your avatar cover this whole thread?
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

#seldomviewing
    I love movies, but I'm with you on the never attempting to watch this.  I've honestly never had any sliver of interest in seeing the film, ever.  Same with the Godfather movies.
  • I apologize to all the ladies.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I apologize to all the ladies.
    No offense taken!

(as to Stone, Natural Born Killers is one of my favorites)
    edited December 2018
    hedonist said:
    I apologize to all the ladies.
    No offense taken!

(as to Stone, Natural Born Killers is one of my favorites)
    Great soundtrack, but, man, another brick to the face for three hours, as far as tone goes. Most of the other elements are in place for a damn good film, though. Excellent performances, interesting art direction, set pieces and costumes, etc. But, man, Stone just can't trust his audience to figure something out on their own.

I remember thoroughly enjoying it in the theatre and also thinking I'd never have any desire to watch it again.

The Tarantino script has a lot more subtlety to it, and tensions build much better as a result. The Stone film is pretty much constant tension, which basically desensitizes the viewer--and that was mainly his point (and pretty much has been since Salvador). It's all superiority complex and raging didacticism on celluloid. 

I'd love to see Tarantino remake the film.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    I haven't seen it since i was about 13 or so.  One of my friends had it on VHS and we watched it. Only thing i remember from it was there was a lot of cursing, violence, and cocaine. Also that it was on two VHS tapes. Don't remember what the plot was about or anything.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I haven't seen it since i was about 13 or so.  One of my friends had it on VHS and we watched it. Only thing i remember from it was there was a lot of cursing, violence, and cocaine. Also that it was on two VHS tapes. Don't remember what the plot was about or anything.
    That was the plot. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    That was the plot. 
    Cursing, violence and cocaine...that’s why it’s awesome! ;)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Never seen Godfather?
    I and II are two of my favorites

Scarface had some funny parts.  The climactic scene is funny as hell
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Great movie!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    original or the one with pacino?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bbiggs said:
    That was the plot. 
    Cursing, violence and cocaine...that’s why it’s awesome! ;)
    :lol: I probably should rewatch it just for the hell of it.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I agree with dankind, I thought it was a disaster.  All bluster and bravado, no substance.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    edited December 2018

#seldomviewing
    I love movies, but I'm with you on the never attempting to watch this.  I've honestly never had any sliver of interest in seeing the film, ever.  Same with the Godfather movies.

^^^^ This. (Yes, I'm female.)

I watched part of Scarface, then it became clear that something really violent and horrible was about to happen, and I quickly turned it off. At the risk of sounding like someone's mom, I've never understood the appeal of graphic violence as entertainment. Real life is brutal enough.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Never seen Godfather?
    I and II are two of my favorites

Scarface had some funny parts.  The climactic scene is funny as hell
    Godfather 1 and 2 are in a league of their own. Goodfellas is fantastic too. I’m a sucker for gangster movies. 
  • Guys... come on.

I was in grade 10 when Scarface came out. Me and my buds all watched in on VHS. We loved it.

For the standard at the time... it was awesome. It maybe hasn't aged fantastically, but if I'm ever settling down on the couch looking for some television to wash away my thoughts... and the movie is on... I'll comfortably settle in.

Some movies are like 'comfort food'. Starship Troopers, Goodfellas (watched it the other night), the Godfathers, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Alien, and a bunch of others just make me at peace.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Guys... come on.

I was in grade 10 when Scarface came out. Me and my buds all watched in on VHS. We loved it.

For the standard at the time... it was awesome. It maybe hasn't aged fantastically, but if I'm ever settling down on the couch looking for some television to wash away my thoughts... and the movie is on... I'll comfortably settle in.

Some movies are like 'comfort food'. Starship Troopers, Goodfellas (watched it the other night), the Godfathers, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Alien, and a bunch of others just make me at peace.
    Starship troopers is amazing!  I remember seeing that one in the movies. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Fuck You all. It’s the best bad movie. I know every word and just watched half of it this weekend.

”her womb is so polluted, she can’t even had a kid with me”
    Guys... come on.

Fucking a. Gladiator has been on a bunch recently.

anyone who puts godfather in the same boat as Scarface can get gone, and as stated, I love Scarface 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    mcgruff10 said:
    Guys... come on.

Ugh -- Starship Troopers was a movie that left me saying, aloud, "Well, those are two hours of my life that I'll never get back." And I read tons of Heinlein as a kid. It was just a bad movie. (IMO)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Guys... come on.

anyone who puts godfather in the same boat as Scarface can get gone, and as stated, I love Scarface 
    Wait....you think Scarface is better than The Godfather?  Or, worse?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Guys... come on.

Ugh -- Starship Troopers was a movie that left me saying, aloud, "Well, those are two hours of my life that I'll never get back." And I read tons of Heinlein as a kid. It was just a bad movie. (IMO)
    I know the book is better...still dig the movie

Guys... come on.

Wait....you think Scarface is better than The Godfather?  Or, worse?
    Don’t be dumb. I said Scarface is the best bad movie 
    When people say I haven’t seen The Godfather either?...That’s like saying I haven’t read Harry potter but I haven’t read Farewell to arms either