Options

Is it still acceptable in this day and age to ask a WOMAN in public out for a coffee/drink/lunch?

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    I've been following this thread and your others for awhile now so I am fully aware of your issues and life concerns.

As mentioned earlier women do ask guys out.

In my situation I met my girlfriend in a bar before a Pearl Jam concert. Because of our conversation she knew where I lived and worked and the next day she reached out to me via my company's customer contact email. Now 4 years later we live together and have  been to 8 more PJ shows.

So it does happen.
    Step out of your comfort zone 
    Try something different 
    If that doesn't work try something else 
    Just don't give up

Good luck 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:
    If she wants to go out she'll ask you
    No she won't. Women never ask a guy out. I've never known of a woman doing so.
    I'm not reading 4 pages.  Sorry.  I'll just drop in to say that I did ask my husband out.  This, I might add, was after he asked me out.  

How did that work?

Well, when he asked me out, I was still dating someone.  I was tiring of the excuses . . . he lived about 45 minutes north of me, but constantly complained about distance.  He was a senior in college and I was in my second year at a completely different university.  There was nothing about the relationship that was super great (and I mean, um, nothing) so when M asked me out, I told him, "I don't mean to shoot you down, but technically I'm still dating someone."  I gave him my number.  Told him to phone me that weekend.  He didn't.  I get it. 

I phoned D that night knowing that this was going to be either a continuance of whatever it was we had or a dump.  He answered the phone and the first sentence out of his mouth was about how he had just turned 10,000 miles over on his car.  He also went on about this girl he had dated in high school.  

"Perhaps you should try seeing her again."

"What do you mean?"

"Obviously this isn't working." 

We split.  I saw M on Monday and figured out that the freaking ball was in my court.  I asked him to go to the library.  (If memory serves.)  We did and we have been together ever since.  How long has that been?  Just a few months shy of 25 years.  I might add that when we were dating, my husband lived further away than D and never ever once complained.  Sweet guy he is.  :smile: 

So, stop saying that women don't ask men out.  (I do believe that you are trying for a woman because posing a question about asking a "girl" out here in the states is grounds for arrest.)  They do.  

Stop overthinking.  

Stop coming up with excuses.

Stop blaming your parents.

Stop blaming ill marriage examples on your siblings. 

Stop blaming university. 

We all come from steaming piles of shit, but you rise from the ashes and make good things happen. We're all damaged goods and whether you decide to take that damage and work with it or allow it to hinder you, I suppose that is your own thing.  However, you ask advice.  People give it and you (by my experience) generally come up with a reason or many of why something wouldn't work.  

You want a relationship and yet you don't.  It confuses the hell out of me. 

Just ask the woman out.  Have a lovely time.  Sleep with her if you want.  Don't if you don't want to.  Just, for the love of whatever deity you believe in, do something!  We have been cheering you on for quite some time now.  We want good things to happen for you and S_C.  Go forth!  Enjoy life!  If it works, great.  If it doesn't, try again with someone else.  

:peace:
    Thank you.
    Congratulations on your 25 years of marriage.
    That's an awesome love story. Wish a WOMAN would ask me out. Sorry I say girl and woman interchangeably.
    Seeing I am 34, I am not keen on dating someone from university given the massive age difference.
    When I mean I do and don't. I yearn for romance, connection, love, sex but at the same time I fear change, I fear letting her down, I fear failing as a partner, I fear sharing my shit life story.
    Most people do, but... There are people out there. I had rolled out of a broken engagement, into a shit rebound then on to who would end up being my husband.  He hadn't dated anyone prior to me.  His parents thought he was gay, but he was just unsure of himself.  The first woman he asked out was engaged.  He asked me out and at first I said no because I was still dating doufus #2. 

Love makes you fall on your face, say stupid things, walk into walls, run red lights... but if after that person sees the real authentic you and sticks around, that is good stuff.  

When my husband and I were first dating, I played true confessions.  I told him everything that went on.  I told him of the hurts, that I had been with a few people, had my heart crushed... I told him all of that because I thought that if I was going to invest time (I was not a date around kinda girl) then if he were to bolt, make it happen now.  Turns out that for us, it was a perfect way to start forever.  

We are honest with each other and trust each other completely.  Words aren't coated in sugar.  Bluntness is what it is, and it is how we raise our daughter. 

If you fall on your face, get up, dust yourself off and try again.  The world won't come to an end if a coffee date turns out as just friends.  :wink:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    My wife is strong with the force -- she would have told them to Fuck Off in those exact words if they were bothering them too much....but I get that some people might be more annoyed.
    You're not married to Rey are ya?
    She would eat Rey for lunch.
    On their first date? That’s quick.
    YO!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited December 2018
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    If she wants to go out she'll ask you
    No she won't. Women never ask a guy out. I've never known of a woman doing so.
    I'm not reading 4 pages.  Sorry.  I'll just drop in to say that I did ask my husband out.  This, I might add, was after he asked me out.  

How did that work?

Well, when he asked me out, I was still dating someone.  I was tiring of the excuses . . . he lived about 45 minutes north of me, but constantly complained about distance.  He was a senior in college and I was in my second year at a completely different university.  There was nothing about the relationship that was super great (and I mean, um, nothing) so when M asked me out, I told him, "I don't mean to shoot you down, but technically I'm still dating someone."  I gave him my number.  Told him to phone me that weekend.  He didn't.  I get it. 

I phoned D that night knowing that this was going to be either a continuance of whatever it was we had or a dump.  He answered the phone and the first sentence out of his mouth was about how he had just turned 10,000 miles over on his car.  He also went on about this girl he had dated in high school.  

"Perhaps you should try seeing her again."

"What do you mean?"

"Obviously this isn't working." 

We split.  I saw M on Monday and figured out that the freaking ball was in my court.  I asked him to go to the library.  (If memory serves.)  We did and we have been together ever since.  How long has that been?  Just a few months shy of 25 years.  I might add that when we were dating, my husband lived further away than D and never ever once complained.  Sweet guy he is.  :smile: 

So, stop saying that women don't ask men out.  (I do believe that you are trying for a woman because posing a question about asking a "girl" out here in the states is grounds for arrest.)  They do.  

Stop overthinking.  

Stop coming up with excuses.

Stop blaming your parents.

Stop blaming ill marriage examples on your siblings. 

Stop blaming university. 

We all come from steaming piles of shit, but you rise from the ashes and make good things happen. We're all damaged goods and whether you decide to take that damage and work with it or allow it to hinder you, I suppose that is your own thing.  However, you ask advice.  People give it and you (by my experience) generally come up with a reason or many of why something wouldn't work.  

You want a relationship and yet you don't.  It confuses the hell out of me. 

Just ask the woman out.  Have a lovely time.  Sleep with her if you want.  Don't if you don't want to.  Just, for the love of whatever deity you believe in, do something!  We have been cheering you on for quite some time now.  We want good things to happen for you and S_C.  Go forth!  Enjoy life!  If it works, great.  If it doesn't, try again with someone else.  

:peace:
    Thank you.
    Congratulations on your 25 years of marriage.
    That's an awesome love story. Wish a WOMAN would ask me out. Sorry I say girl and woman interchangeably.
    Seeing I am 34, I am not keen on dating someone from university given the massive age difference.
    When I mean I do and don't. I yearn for romance, connection, love, sex but at the same time I fear change, I fear letting her down, I fear failing as a partner, I fear sharing my shit life story.
    He hadn't dated anyone prior to me.  His parents thought he was gay, but he was just unsure of himself.  The first woman he asked out was engaged.  He asked me out and at first I said no because I was still dating doufus #2. 

Sounds like me haha
    Sick of people thinking I am not interested in the opposite sex, little do they know I've tried.
    Thanks.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,700
    familiar with the phrase, nothing ventured, nothing gained?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    familiar with the phrase, nothing ventured, nothing gained?
    Nope but I believe I've heard similar phrases.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    I've been following this thread and your others for awhile now so I am fully aware of your issues and life concerns.

In my situation I met my girlfriend in a bar before a Pearl Jam concert. Because of our conversation she knew where I lived and worked and the next day she reached out to me via my company's customer contact email. Now 4 years later we live together and have  been to 8 more PJ shows.

So it does happen.
    Try something different 
    Just don't give up

Good luck 
    my wife asked me out too. actually, more accurately, she blurted out that she was in love with me before we ever had a date (we were very close friends for a very long time). 

married 14 years. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes

So it does happen.
    Try something different 
    Just don't give up

Good luck 
    my wife asked me out too. actually, more accurately, she blurted out that she was in love with me before we ever had a date (we were very close friends for a very long time). 

married 14 years. 
    Maybe there is hope for love in this world. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    Yes

So it does happen.
    Try something different 
    Just don't give up

Good luck 
    Cool ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Yes

So it does happen.
    Try something different 
    Just don't give up

Good luck 

married 14 years. 
    You stud muffin you , cool 😎 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817

So it does happen.
    Try something different 
    Just don't give up

Good luck 

married 14 years. 
    that's one thing I've never been called before. and it had to be a dude. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yes

So it does happen.
    Try something different 
    Just don't give up

Good luck 

married 14 years. 
    that's one thing I've never been called before. and it had to be a dude. LOL
    I’m here to boost egos 😀
  • Options

So it does happen.
    Try something different 
    Just don't give up

Good luck 

married 14 years. 
    Beautiful. Lucky you.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    In a day and age when the hero from The Princess Bride would be considered a fucking weirdo sexual predator, who knows what's acceptable.  Westley was known for drugging drinks after all ...
  • Options
    Team Montoya all the way! Fuck Westley

Mandy Pantinkin, that's what is acceptable. 
  • Options
    Yes

I'm completely lost..... :confused:
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    njnancy said:

You haven’t ever watched Princess Bride? 

Oh, njnancy, you really should. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Yes
    njnancy said:

I thought I had, but since I don't get any of the references, I guess I'll have to check it out. 
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited December 2018
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

I thought I had, but since I don't get any of the references, I guess I'll have to check it out. 
    Mandy Patinkin is the actor who plays Inigo Montoya. I had a dream I married him after watching Yentl. So, I like him more than Cary Elwes. I'm loyal that way. :lol:

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Mandy Patinkin is the actor who plays Inigo Montoya. I had a dream I married him after watching Yentl. So, I like him more than Cary Elwes. I'm loyal that way. :lol:

He is one of the Hollywood guys widely rumored to be a giant asshole, for years and years. 
    I never met him so cannot corroborate, but know some who have.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited December 2018
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

He is one of the Hollywood guys widely rumored to be a giant asshole, for years and years. 
    Ah, just my type...

He has long since been removed from my dream roster, but thank you very much for the heads up!

Mandy Patinkin is not-so-acceptable it turns out. Thanks for ruining Yentl for me, Mandy Patinkin! Bastard.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Yeah, I heard he was a huge pain while shooting Chicago Hope.

I loved him in Homeland, though.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Apparently, some random woman paid for my wife's Starbucks today.

My first question: Was she hot?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Yes
    dankind said:

Mine would have been: Was she armed?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    What? Lol
  • Options
    Yes
    dankind said:

Random act of kindness.
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:

Random act of kindness.
    Way to kill the male fantasy, Nancy. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:

Random act of kindness.
    AKA:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:

Random act of kindness.
    AKA:

Thanks for getting this thing back on track, F Me!

https://youtu.be/A_zVFa5udes
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Yes
    dankind said:
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:

Random act of kindness.
    Way to kill the male fantasy, Nancy. 
     Killer of male fantasies. Now there's an ego boost for the holidays! 

Enjoy, boys.

https://youtu.be/-eyjBBcUO9k

Post edited by njnancy on