Options

Who Should Get Into the RRHOF First?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    rgambs said:
    fanch75 said:

Alice in Chains.  They pretty much one-handedly inspired heavy music for the next 20 years.  The entire 2000's metal sound (Disturbed, Godsmack, Staind, etc) was ripping off Alice in Chains, and those were huge bands.  As far as Alice in Chains themselves, tune in any rock station for an hour and  you are likely to hear them.

Mad Season and Jerry solo - I absolutely love Mad Season, and Jerry's cool.  Not enough clout to induct those guys.   I think ACE FREHLEY gets inducted as a solo artist before Cantrell. 

I always thought Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer did that?  Oh and Pantera too...
    Nah, AIC reminded the world that heavy music doesn't have to be fast thrashing stuff with Cookie Monster vocals like the bands you mentioned.  They took it back to the roots with a sound more reminiscent of Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Butterfly, etc..
    A much more mature and artistic sound than the thrash stuff that spawned modern metal.
    Hey now....Metallica is already a R&R HoF band that does not sing with Cookie Monster tones.  :lol:                                       
    Love that description
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited December 2018
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't understand the sentiment that AIC isn't worthy, you can't turn a radio dial without hitting an AIC song.
    The latter could be said about a lot of bands. Doesn't mean they all belong in the HOF.
    Shouldn't they though?  What's a hall of fame for if it doesn't represent the most famous?
    Most famous being the key phrase.  Again, if we just let everyone in who has radio play or touched stardom for a while, it lessens the significance of the Hall of Fame honor. The Hall itself becomes nothing more than a watered down rolodex of music history.   I love AIC, easily my 2nd favorite of the "Seattle sound" bands.  Sure they had their day in the sun, but it was brief and really inconsequential in the grand scheme of the history of rock & roll.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Alice In Chains
    rgambs said:
    fanch75 said:

Alice in Chains.  They pretty much one-handedly inspired heavy music for the next 20 years.  The entire 2000's metal sound (Disturbed, Godsmack, Staind, etc) was ripping off Alice in Chains, and those were huge bands.  As far as Alice in Chains themselves, tune in any rock station for an hour and  you are likely to hear them.

Mad Season and Jerry solo - I absolutely love Mad Season, and Jerry's cool.  Not enough clout to induct those guys.   I think ACE FREHLEY gets inducted as a solo artist before Cantrell. 

I always thought Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer did that?  Oh and Pantera too...
    Nah, AIC reminded the world that heavy music doesn't have to be fast thrashing stuff with Cookie Monster vocals like the bands you mentioned.  They took it back to the roots with a sound more reminiscent of Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Butterfly, etc..
    A much more mature and artistic sound than the thrash stuff that spawned modern metal.
    Hey now....Metallica is already a R&R HoF band that does not sing with Cookie Monster tones.  :lol:                                       
    Love that description
    I do love Metallica, but Hetfield personifies the Cookie Monster in later Metallica songs.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't understand the sentiment that AIC isn't worthy, you can't turn a radio dial without hitting an AIC song.
    The latter could be said about a lot of bands. Doesn't mean they all belong in the HOF.
    Shouldn't they though?  What's a hall of fame for if it doesn't represent the most famous?
    Most famous being the key phrase.  Again, if we just let everyone in who has radio play or touched stardom for a while, it lessens the significance of the Hall of Fame honor. The Hall itself becomes nothing more than a watered down rolodex of music history.   I love AIC, easily my 2nd favorite of the "Seattle sound" bands.  Sure they had their day in the sun, but it was brief and really inconsequential in the grand scheme of the history of rock & roll.

I definitely agree that the Hall should be a little more selective, but they have to keep people coming back to keep the doors open, and they made the idiotic mistake of building in Cleveland so that's no easy task.
    Roxy Music?  For real?  They sampled Roxy Music's biggest songs on the local (Canton, OH) station and I didn't recognize any of them.  At all.
    No way they belong, but there's room for excluding them and still allowing AIC.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    edited December 2018
    Alice In Chains
    Funny you should post this the day after I revisited Facelift and Dirt on Tidal. I thank Rick Beato for making me decide to listen to them because he did a special on what makes the song Dirt great. The first half of Facelift is awesome, but then it's pretty hit or miss with some of the songs seriously sounding like they belong on a GNR album. Dirt is phenomenal. Unplugged was probably my favorite of all the ones released through the MTV series. Amazing album. I'm with a few others on here and think AIC was the biggest influence for rock that carried over to the early '00s.

They also released some good soundtrack songs and have a pretty deep catalog for a band that really only had about 7 years together. They deserve it. It's a disgrace that both Soundgarden and AIC aren't in yet. They were both around and established well before PJ and Nirvana hit the scene.

Edit: I should also add that they're still around and making great music, arguably more relevant and impactful than PJ. That alone should boost their chances. What they did with Layne was groundbreaking and how they've reestablished themselves with Duvall in the last decade is tremendous. 
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    rgambs said:
    fanch75 said:

When I think metal, AIC is the last band that comes to mind.  Maybe our definition of metal may be different?

To be honest this topic has peaked my interest with influences.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    edited December 2018
    Ah oh, I thought Mad Season was a television show.  Damn, I guess getting old has it's down sides after all.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Alice In Chains
    rgambs said:
    fanch75 said:

When I think metal, AIC is the last band that comes to mind.  Maybe our definition of metal may be different?

That's because of the 80's bands that overtook the "heavy metal" genre with thrashing and Cookie Monster vocals.
    Sabbath and Deep Purple were the original heavy metal bands.  People now associate speed with metal and metal with speed, but the original heavy metal sound was slower and...heavier instead of just louder.  Modern thrash metal isn't heavy at all, it doesn't weigh you down, it bounces you up.  

AIC, the originals, they can make your very soul feel heavy in a way that Metallica has never even come close to touching.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Alice In Chains
    Can't believe Soundgarden and AIC have not been inducted.
    Have Faith No More been inducted?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Alice In Chains
    Nope.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Alice In Chains
    I'd disagree but, unfortunately, many would consider FNM a one hit wonder. They're not getting in.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    Although I very much like FNM,  there are plenty of bands who should come first... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/the-20-worst-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-snubs/amp/
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    fanch75 said:

That's because of the 80's bands that overtook the "heavy metal" genre with thrashing and Cookie Monster vocals.
    Sabbath and Deep Purple were the original heavy metal bands.  People now associate speed with metal and metal with speed, but the original heavy metal sound was slower and...heavier instead of just louder.  Modern thrash metal isn't heavy at all, it doesn't weigh you down, it bounces you up.  

AIC, the originals, they can make your very soul feel heavy in a way that Metallica has never even come close to touching.
    I don't think you really listened to Metallica...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Alice In Chains
    I’m surprised Tool hasn’t been nominated and inducted.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    DewieCox said:
    The writers at Rollingstone have no idea who they are plus they only vote people in that they know will show up.  Hell Kiss almost didn't come to their inauguration so I don't think TOOL would even come.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    edited December 2018
    Mad Season
    rummy said:
    Sadly, if Soundgarden isn't getting in, then neither is AIC.
    Both will get in.
    That's why I voted for MS.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    DewieCox said:
    The writers at Rollingstone have no idea who they are plus they only vote people in that they know will show up.  Hell Kiss almost didn't come to their inauguration so I don't think TOOL would even come.
    They’re one of the biggest bands around. I’m sure RS knows who they are and I think they’d show up. They’re more rockstar than their image often informs.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    deadendp said:
    Although I very much like FNM,  there are plenty of bands who should come first... 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/the-20-worst-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-snubs/amp/
    Dang, I feel like half of these aren't snubs at all.
    I also feel like Doobie Brothers should be near the top of this list.  I'm sure the Michael McDonald years are counting against them a bit, but the early Tom Johnston Doobie Brothers albums are fantastic.  
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    I also think Styx and Kansas are more deserving than some of those as well.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    They’re one of the biggest bands around. I’m sure RS knows who they are and I think they’d show up. They’re more rockstar than their image often informs.
    You don't know TOOL.

One of the biggest bands around hasn't made an album in 12 years...

They don't stream their albums for a reason.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:

Dang, I feel like half of these aren't snubs at all.
    I also feel like Doobie Brothers should be near the top of this list.  I'm sure the Michael McDonald years are counting against them a bit, but the early Tom Johnston Doobie Brothers albums are fantastic.  
    I definitely agree that Depeche Mode, Iron Maiden, Pixies, Devo and NIN should be in.  Others on that list, probably.  I will also admit that I am not as familiar with all of them as I should be.  
    rgambs said:
    I also think Styx and Kansas are more deserving than some of those as well.
    My death metal loving husband went through a Styx phase for a while.  I truly wanted to rip my ears off of my head.  One of his people stated that Styx was a big influence.  (I cannot recall who that would be, but Vinnie in Pantera might be the one.)  At any rate, no thank you. :not_listening:
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    Alice In Chains
    It seems to me that RROH has an m.o.  They usually find a big band to nominate, to be the headliners of the event.   Then maybe a band from another genre.  Then bands that had medium level success.    I consider PJ/Nirvana to be the big guns of the Seattle era.   Soundgarden/AiC weren't quite as big.   I fully expect Soundgarden/AiC to get in one day.  It's only that they weren't one of those big guns that gets in on the first ballot.

I'm actually surprised it took this long to induct Def Leppard.  They were huge in the day.   Sold god knows how many copies of Pyromania, Hysteria, and Adrenalize.  
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    You don't know TOOL.

What’s that mean? Yeah, I don’t know them personally but I’ve gleened about as much info on them through the years as a fan could. Maynard and his vineyard is as rock star cliche as it gets, Danny cruises around in a Lambo, and Adam Jones has played the national anthem at big wrestling shows. I’m not saying they some cheesy over the top asshats, but they definitely take advantage of their success.

Hasnt made an album in 12 years and would sell out a tour tomorrow. When their album does come out it will be one of the biggest and best releases of the year.

I don’t get what streaming or not has to do with it.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    rummy said:
    I'd disagree but, unfortunately, many would consider FNM a one hit wonder. They're not getting in.
    Those people would be whack.
    FNM has a large catalog of work (7 albums) spanning 30+ years of activity. 
    Agree that they are not getting in but they are SO much more than one MTV hit.  Angel Dust is a top 5 album of all time, for me. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    Mad Season
    rummy said:
    Those people would be whack.
    FNM has a large catalog of work (7 albums) spanning 30+ years of activity. 
    Agree that they are not getting in but they are SO much more than one MTV hit.  Angel Dust is a top 5 album of all time, for me. 

yep. 100 times better than Epic. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Mad Season
    rgambs said:
    fanch75 said:

facelift was definitely metal. no question about it. then they became sludgier. I callled it (not claiming I coined it) Sludge Metal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Alice In Chains

AIC simply because of the unplugged album. That baby got me through some strange trips in my early years.  

• Options
    Alice In Chains
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    You don't know TOOL.

What’s that mean? Yeah, I don’t know them personally but I’ve gleened about as much info on them through the years as a fan could. Maynard and his vineyard is as rock star cliche as it gets, Danny cruises around in a Lambo, and Adam Jones has played the national anthem at big wrestling shows. I’m not saying they some cheesy over the top asshats, but they definitely take advantage of their success.

Hasnt made an album in 12 years and would sell out a tour tomorrow. When their album does come out it will be one of the biggest and best releases of the year.

I don’t get what streaming or not has to do with it.

They sell out every show they do but that doesn't mean that they'd go to a RRHOF performance.

They didn't stream their albums or let them be used in the jukeboxes because they were pretentious.

Ever watch them do interviews with people that they can see that they don't know TOOL very well?  Brutal.  Maynard has always been a jerk to them and it's fun to watch.

They aren't one for the masses types.  This is why I don't think they'd ever do it.

Lastly RS surely knows who they are but they could care less to put them in.
  • Options
    Mad Season
    not a chance Tool would perform at the hall. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Alice In Chains
    Maybe they wouldn’t. None of us really know. I just don’t think they’re be as against that sorta thing as they once were. I think a lot of their anti mainstream tendencies are overblown when you look at some of the stuff they’ve taken a part in over the last decade or so. Meet and greets, radio edits for all the singles from the last album, and more willingness to
    do interviews. I think it would be a hard thing for MJK’s ego to turn down.