Options

Who Should Get Into the RRHOF First?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Mad Season
    DewieCox said:
    Maybe they wouldn’t. None of us really know. I just don’t think they’re be as against that sorta thing as they once were. I think a lot of their anti mainstream tendencies are overblown when you look at some of the stuff they’ve taken a part in over the last decade or so. Meet and greets, radio edits for all the singles from the last album, and more willingness to
    do interviews. I think it would be a hard thing for MJK’s ego to turn down.
    I get the feeling they do it now more as a reputation thing than anything else. MJK is pretty accessible when it comes to his other projects, but keeps Tool at a safe distance from fans and media. and yet, the other 3 did some clinics or something lately that sounded pretty cool. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Alice In Chains
    Tool, eh? I just don't see it happening.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited December 2018
    Alice In Chains
    Tool is a lock for eventual induction, unless there are hangups they go beyond credentials. Then again it looks like Radiohead overcame that. Successful by every measure, artistically respected as anybody and under the radar influence. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Alice In Chains
    Really? Tool is that big? I don't see it.
    http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Alice In Chains
    I’d say so. Compare them to their peers and theyre right near the top by any measure.  

Curious of your stance on PJ before they were inducted. I think Tool’s resume is every bit the equal outside of Ed being a HoF darling. 

I wouldn’t say they’ve been snubbed by not getting in first year eligible, but I’d guess they’ll go in right after if not right along with the other big bands of the era. 
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Alice In Chains
    I'm not a big tool fan and couldent see myself listening to them when I'm a 55 year old man. 
    Music was good for it's time, not so sure it's timeless. 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Alice In Chains
    rummy said:
    Can't believe Soundgarden and AIC have not been inducted.
    Have Faith No More been inducted?
    I'd disagree but, unfortunately, many would consider FNM a one hit wonder. They're not getting in.
    Those people would be whack.
    FNM has a large catalog of work (7 albums) spanning 30+ years of activity. 
    Agree that they are not getting in but they are SO much more than one MTV hit.  Angel Dust is a top 5 album of all time, for me. 

yep. 100 times better than Epic. 
    +1 
    Angel Dust is a masterpiece. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    rummy said:
    Can't believe Soundgarden and AIC have not been inducted.
    Have Faith No More been inducted?
    I'd disagree but, unfortunately, many would consider FNM a one hit wonder. They're not getting in.
    Those people would be whack.
    FNM has a large catalog of work (7 albums) spanning 30+ years of activity. 
    Agree that they are not getting in but they are SO much more than one MTV hit.  Angel Dust is a top 5 album of all time, for me. 

yep. 100 times better than Epic. 
    +1 
    Angel Dust is a masterpiece. 
    It was (is) an outstanding album...but it won't get them into the R&R HoF.
  • Options
    Mad Season
    Tool might be our generation's Rush. highly respected among peers, have a crazy cult following, but won't get their due until much later. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    Mad Season
    Weird Al should get.
    While on that, The Waterboys should definitely get in!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    Tool might be our generation's Rush. highly respected among peers, have a crazy cult following, but won't get their due until much later. 
    I'm from Canada and have heard a lot of Rush over the years. Maybe to much? ;-) Anyway, I'm sorry that I keep harping on this (Maybe I just missed the boat on Tool) but I don't see the similarities. A buddy of mine did go see them in Hamilton, ON recently (last year?) and said it was really good. 
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    Weird Al should get.
    According to the list in the link I posted, he's has about the same chance as Tool! 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Weird Al should get.
    I don't know why I finished my sentence one word short.
  • Options
    Mad Season
    rummy said:
    I'm from Canada and have heard a lot of Rush over the years. Maybe to much? ;-) Anyway, I'm sorry that I keep harping on this (Maybe I just missed the boat on Tool) but I don't see the similarities. A buddy of mine did go see them in Hamilton, ON recently (last year?) and said it was really good. 
    i didn't mean the similarities were in any way musical, if that's what you mean. 

I am also canadian. I am not a rush fan. Especially Tom SOOOOOYYYYYYEEEE
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Alice In Chains
    rummy said:
    i didn't mean the similarities were in any way musical, if that's what you mean. 

Oh, goodness, no. Not the music. I guess I feel there are a number of Rush songs that one would hear on the radio back in the day. Yes, they had a cult following but I also think that had a lot of casual (Canadian?) fans. Admittedly, I don't to the radio much these days but one doesn't hear very much Tool being aired - or do they???
  • Options
    Mad Season
    rummy said:
    rummy said:

Oh, goodness, no. Not the music. I guess I feel there are a number of Rush songs that one would hear on the radio back in the day. Yes, they had a cult following but I also think that had a lot of casual (Canadian?) fans. Admittedly, I don't to the radio much these days but one doesn't hear very much Tool being aired - or do they???
    only tool song I've ever heard on radio is Sober. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Alice In Chains
    Weird Al should get.
    I don't know why I finished my sentence one word short.
    get in?
    get out?
    get the hell outta hear?
    get a real job?
     ;) 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Alice In Chains
    rummy said:
    rummy said:

I don't think they should be basing induction on radio plays, especially rock bands who don't produce radio friendly music. Very little of the best music ever ends up on radio of any form.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Mad Season
    tbergs said:
    rummy said:
    rummy said:

I don't think they should be basing induction on radio plays, especially rock bands who don't produce radio friendly music. Very little of the best music ever ends up on radio of any form.
    agreed. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Alice In Chains
    DewieCox said:
    Maybe they wouldn’t. None of us really know. I just don’t think they’re be as against that sorta thing as they once were. I think a lot of their anti mainstream tendencies are overblown when you look at some of the stuff they’ve taken a part in over the last decade or so. Meet and greets, radio edits for all the singles from the last album, and more willingness to
    Every Meet and Greet did not ever once contain the likes of MJK.

Why isn't Bon Jovi in?  Seriously?
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    DewieCox said:

Bon Jovi was inducted last year.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    DewieCox said:

Was listening to Apple Music the other day and Wanted Dead or Alive came on.  I had forgotten what a great song that is.  I loved that album as a kid, need to pick it up on vinyl again.  Fear not, Bon Jovi is in!
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    derbydave said:
    DewieCox said:

Really? hahahahahaha!!!

This shows you how much I actually follow this!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    derbydave said:
    DewieCox said:

Really? hahahahahaha!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

They are in the 2018 Induction Class that was announced in December of 2017!!
    I think the ceremony was in April of this year.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Alice In Chains
    derbydave said:
    derbydave said:
    DewieCox said:

Really? hahahahahaha!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

They are in the 2018 Induction Class that was announced in December of 2017!!
    I think the ceremony was in April of this year.
    I just read up on it!
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    rummy said:
    rummy said:

rummy said:
    rummy said:

If you get music choice on cable tv their "rock hits" station plays tool all the time.  I just got yelled at by wife for cranking 46&2, great song.

And yeah, Rush got passed over many years for that HOF silliness. Tool would probably need a couple more releases to be considered. 

Back in the 70s, believe it or not, Yes was huge.
  • Options
    AIC - I certainly think they were groundbreaking, those harmonies man, listen to Down In A Hole and tell me that isn't one of those most beautifully put together songs, they had something very special.  As much as I love Dirt, I think Jar Of Flies and their Unplugged show them at their best.

Also, I think they were the most influential Seattle band - all of the post grunge bands sounded most like them, compared to the other big four bands.

I agree about AIC, but how about Soundgarden,  facepollution?

I'll never forget the first time I heard them, Rusty Cage on MTV. Made me drop what I was doing.  What a freaking sound back then. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:
    I’m surprised Tool hasn’t been nominated and inducted.
    The writers at Rollingstone have no idea who they are plus they only vote people in that they know will show up.  Hell Kiss almost didn't come to their inauguration so I don't think TOOL would even come.
    They’re one of the biggest bands around. I’m sure RS knows who they are and I think they’d show up. They’re more rockstar than their image often informs.
    You don't know TOOL.

One of the biggest bands around hasn't made an album in 12 years...

They don't stream their albums for a reason.

What’s that mean? Yeah, I don’t know them personally but I’ve gleened about as much info on them through the years as a fan could. Maynard and his vineyard is as rock star cliche as it gets, Danny cruises around in a Lambo, and Adam Jones has played the national anthem at big wrestling shows. I’m not saying they some cheesy over the top asshats, but they definitely take advantage of their success.

Hasnt made an album in 12 years and would sell out a tour tomorrow. When their album does come out it will be one of the biggest and best releases of the year.

I don’t get what streaming or not has to do with it.

They sell out every show they do but that doesn't mean that they'd go to a RRHOF performance.

They didn't stream their albums or let them be used in the jukeboxes because they were pretentious.

Ever watch them do interviews with people that they can see that they don't know TOOL very well?  Brutal.  Maynard has always been a jerk to them and it's fun to watch.

They aren't one for the masses types.  This is why I don't think they'd ever do it.

Lastly RS surely knows who they are but they could care less to put them in.

Tool might not be on streaming due to their legal difficulties over the years.

Tool organized a mini festival last year in the IE,  drew 65,000 and IIRC, they were the only "arena" band on the bill.

Tool has plenty of fans.  They just are not that active. They make Pearl Jam look like the Dead.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Pap said:
    Weird Al should get.
    While on that, The Waterboys should definitely get in!

waterboys > AIC, MS and/or JC.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14