Who Should Get Into the RRHOF First?

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Who Should Get Into the RRHOF First? 53 votes

Alice In Chains
94%
jeffbrblacknapkinsfanch75jerseyjammer1Poncierbootlegger10my2handsSpiritual_ChaosEdved82facepollutionlolobuggshermmfc2006NamicutzLukinFanmadtowndaveComeToTXtbergspledgeagrievance 50 votes
Mad Season
5%
PapHughFreakingDillondrakeheuer14 3 votes
Jerry Cantrell (solo)
0%

Comments

• Options
    Mad Season
    AIC's Dirt is a masterpiece, but was it groundbreaking? I find Mad Season's Above to be so sonically superior. And Jerry's solo stuff is great, but it's basically AIC without Layne. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Mad Season
    and please keep the "RRHOF is irrelevant/garbage/stupid/etc" comments out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Alice In Chains
    AIC should be in of course.  I don't think Mad Season should ever be in.   I didn't even know that Cantrell had a solo career...
  • Options
    Mad Season
    AIC should be in of course.  I don't think Mad Season should ever be in.   I didn't even know that Cantrell had a solo career...
    his first solo record was Boggy Depot (he opened for Metallica on this tour). His second was a double album called Degredation Trip. He also has a couple songs on soundtracks/comp's which are good. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Alice In Chains
    I love Mad Season, but I'd have to go with AIC. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    Mad Season and Jerry Cantrell solo won't go in.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Mad Season
    Mad Season and Jerry Cantrell solo won't go in.
    I didn't say if they would. I'm saying who should. The Hall often overlooks those that should. (I don't personally think JC solo should either though)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Alice In Chains
    AIC's Dirt is a masterpiece, but was it groundbreaking? I find Mad Season's Above to be so sonically superior. And Jerry's solo stuff is great, but it's basically AIC without Layne. 
    It's a hall of fame though, not a hall of sonic superiority.
    I love Mad Season, but they don't have nearly the clout to make it in for another 10-15 years until every possible pre-90's band is in.

Doobie Brothers need their spot!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Mad Season
    rgambs said:
    It's a hall of fame though, not a hall of sonic superiority.
    I love Mad Season, but they don't have nearly the clout to make it in for another 10-15 years until every possible pre-90's band is in.

Doobie Brothers need their spot!
    you don't have to have more than one record to get in. it just has to be an incredible one and leave a mark. I think it did. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Alice In Chains

It could take you a couple weeks of walking around New York City to find someone who knows who Mad Season or Jerry Cantrell are.  No way they deserve to be in.

Alice in Chains is borderline.  It depends on whether the Hall of Fame is for the elite (which it should be).  Obviously every band can't be the Beatles or Stones, but I just don't think Alice in Chains should make it.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    None of them, although I think that the first two records and the EP by AIC are brilliant.  Just not enough, IMO.
    Mad Season and Cantrell solo can be things you like but they will never in a million years get R&R HoF consideration, nor should they IMO.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    edited December 2018
    Alice In Chains
    AIC - I certainly think they were groundbreaking, those harmonies man, listen to Down In A Hole and tell me that isn't one of those most beautifully put together songs, they had something very special.  As much as I love Dirt, I think Jar Of Flies and their Unplugged show them at their best.

Also, I think they were the most influential Seattle band - all of the post grunge bands sounded most like them, compared to the other big four bands.
    Post edited by facepollution on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Alice In Chains
    Mas Season had 1 album?
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Alice In Chains
    Sadly, if Soundgarden isn't getting in, then neither is AIC.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    rummy said:
    Both will get in.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Alice In Chains
    AIC is a lock for eventual induction. Short of the initial explosion of Teen Spirit, they’re far an away the most influential band of the early 90s. 

Mad Season simply doesn’t have the resume to get in. One great album, but it’s barely a blip on the radar. They won’t get in and they shouldn’t get in.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    DewieCox said:
    AIC is a lock for eventual induction. Short of the initial explosion of Teen Spirit, they’re far an away the most influential band of the early 90s. 

Mad Season simply doesn’t have the resume to get in. One great album, but it’s barely a blip on the radar. They won’t get in and they shouldn’t get in.

AIC most influential?  No way...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Alice In Chains
    Yes, them and Nirvana.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    DewieCox said:
    Yes, them and Nirvana.
    No chili peppers?  No Mud Honey? No Janes Addiction?

You know this is a debate for another thread.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Alice In Chains

Alice in Chains.  They pretty much one-handedly inspired heavy music for the next 20 years.  The entire 2000's metal sound (Disturbed, Godsmack, Staind, etc) was ripping off Alice in Chains, and those were huge bands.  As far as Alice in Chains themselves, tune in any rock station for an hour and  you are likely to hear them.

Mad Season and Jerry solo - I absolutely love Mad Season, and Jerry's cool.  Not enough clout to induct those guys.   I think ACE FREHLEY gets inducted as a solo artist before Cantrell. 

Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Alice In Chains
    DewieCox said:

Perfect post.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Mad Season
    I personally don't think "clout" or being known should be of consideration. look back historically, how many inductees do you know? I know very few of the early ones. I think it should be artistic merit and influence. But maybe it isn't. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I think there are too many artists in it already.  They need to hold back a bit.  It's becoming an encyclopedia instead of a Hall of Fame.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    I like them all but none of them are RRHoF caliber bands, IMO. If choosing b/t the three: AIC
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    I don't understand the sentiment that AIC isn't worthy, you can't turn a radio dial without hitting an AIC song.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rgambs said:
    I don't understand the sentiment that AIC isn't worthy, you can't turn a radio dial without hitting an AIC song.
    The latter could be said about a lot of bands. Doesn't mean they all belong in the HOF.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    fanch75 said:

Alice in Chains.  They pretty much one-handedly inspired heavy music for the next 20 years.  The entire 2000's metal sound (Disturbed, Godsmack, Staind, etc) was ripping off Alice in Chains, and those were huge bands.  As far as Alice in Chains themselves, tune in any rock station for an hour and  you are likely to hear them.

Mad Season and Jerry solo - I absolutely love Mad Season, and Jerry's cool.  Not enough clout to induct those guys.   I think ACE FREHLEY gets inducted as a solo artist before Cantrell. 

I always thought Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer did that?  Oh and Pantera too...
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    fanch75 said:

I always thought Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer did that?  Oh and Pantera too...
    Nah, AIC reminded the world that heavy music doesn't have to be fast thrashing stuff with Cookie Monster vocals like the bands you mentioned.  They took it back to the roots with a sound more reminiscent of Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Butterfly, etc..
    A much more mature and artistic sound than the thrash stuff that spawned modern metal.
  • Options
    Alice In Chains
    rgambs said:
    The latter could be said about a lot of bands. Doesn't mean they all belong in the HOF.
    Shouldn't they though?  What's a hall of fame for if it doesn't represent the most famous?
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Alice In Chains
    rummy said:
    Both will get in.
    I'd like to think you're right but I'm not sure.
    Bands like NIN and Smashing Pumpkins were (arguably) bigger and haven't made it. Smashing Pumpkins have yet to be nominated. Even STP got more radio play and you have to wonder if they'll get in.