Worst Pearl Jam song ever....

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    How a song like Sleeping By Myself gets put on Lightning Bolt in place of a perfect opportunity to finally do a studio cut of Last Soldier and have the same type of song in that spot will forever blow my mind. Last Soldier is so freaking good!
    it is, but it wouldn't fit. i dont' think many bands use songs that old on new albums. 
    Neil does!
    Neil also puts the same song on the same album with different lyrics.

And some bands put a "reprise" version on the same album and then live just plays that snippet and never the original fucking song. 

#LifeWasted2019
    They tried Life Wasted in Boston and it was a trainwreck.

But yes I'd like to see them play it more.  In any event, wasn't really knocking Neil, sometimes it works.  Sleeps with Angels is far and away my favorite Crazy Horse record.  And hell the MIrror Ball sessions birthed Red Mosquito right out of Song X, so there is that.
    song x birthed red mosquito?  how is that?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i remember back in the LB release days the band let a bunch of celebrity guests interview them.  One of the guests (can't remember who), was raving to Mike about Let the Records Play.  You could totally tell Mike didn't like that song and he kind of tried his best to hide by saying something vaguely nice about the intro.  I don't consider LtRP their worst song, but it certainly hasn't aged well for me.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    does everyone hate dirty frank because the band said somehting about it being a bad song? id like to hear it..

sure the lyrics are terrible but if nothing else its a fun (but repetitive) groove, I always thought an instrumental version sandwiched in the middle of a song would be fun, put a 45 seconds in the middle of an even flow jam (if is that even possible, i know nothing about keys or whatever) and see if anyones paying attention..
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    How a song like Sleeping By Myself gets put on Lightning Bolt in place of a perfect opportunity to finally do a studio cut of Last Soldier and have the same type of song in that spot will forever blow my mind. Last Soldier is so freaking good!
    it is, but it wouldn't fit. i dont' think many bands use songs that old on new albums. 
    Neil does!

And some bands put a "reprise" version on the same album and then live just plays that snippet and never the original fucking song. 

#LifeWasted2019

But yes I'd like to see them play it more.  In any event, wasn't really knocking Neil, sometimes it works.  Sleeps with Angels is far and away my favorite Crazy Horse record.  And hell the MIrror Ball sessions birthed Red Mosquito right out of Song X, so there is that.
    Yeah. I’d.never heard that before. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Neil does!

#LifeWasted2019

The songs don't even sound the same.  
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Neil does!

#LifeWasted2019

It is the same song, just a slightly altered tempo and when you throw Mike's heavier less echo driven distortion that Neil favors, and a little slide into it sounds much different, but alas...

https://youtu.be/mPviYfbv0yM?t=1483
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

edited December 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:

It is the same chord progression and beat for the most part, they don't sound the same because the verses and chorus are not sung like an ad for Long John Silver's.  Mike's guitar parts drive so much of the focus of the song that you easily drift away from the similarity.  
    Post edited by PB11041 on

mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:

Also...

09/24/96 – Merriweather Post Pavilion: Columbia, MD [115m]
    attendance: 18,000
    support act: The Fastbacks
    soundcheck: I’m Open, Elderly Woman (Ed solo), RVM (opening riff), The Kids are Alright
    set: Long Road, Hail Hail, Animal, Spin the Black Circle, In My Tree, Corduroy, Not for You/Jeremy, Red Mosquito, Black, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Immortality (song stopped), Better Man, Whipping, State of Love and Trust, Alive, Blood
    enc 1: Who You Are, Even Flow, Daughter/(No More Pain)/(WMA), Mankind, Leaving Here
    enc 2: Wash, Yellow Ledbetter
    notes: This show opens with a particularly sweet version of ‘Long Road.’ During ‘Not for You,’ Ed chats a bit. “If you catch me missing a lyric … if you catch me making a mistake. It’s just I got a lot on my mind. Like I was just thinking a minute ago, ‘I hope these people know that this song isn’t about them.’ I just hate to be misunderstood.” ‘Red Mosquito’ is introduced as ‘Song X’s’ baby brother. Ed makes a joke: “It looks like some of you are on grass …” (referring to the people on the lawn). ‘Habit’ is modified to, “Speaking as someone standing in complete darkness.” After the band plays the intro to ‘Immortality,’ Ed takes a drink, the crowd goes wild, the band stops and goes on to ‘Better Man,’ entirely scrapping ‘Immortality.’ Quelling the “Ed-die” chants later, he says, “Enough of that. If you could just see what you look like from here. It’s just crazy … it’s crazy. Just crazy. You guys are really nice …” then launches into ‘Blood.’ The ‘Daughter’ tag includes a snippet of Embrace’s ‘No More Pain,’ (“Your emotions are nothing but politics, so get control”). Before ‘Mankind,’ Stone says “Do you want to hear me sing one?” (The crowd goes nuts.) He continues (laughing), “Awww, no you don’t!” Returning for a second encore, Stone asks if it rained outside, while Ed references people holding up signs for “super rare songs.” The crowd gets a very nice surprise … a super version of ‘Wash.’ Excellent show!

I am almost certain this comes up again at some point whether in Europe 1996 or even later.  But I am an older person than I once was and my memory banks are faded.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nycrats said:
    does everyone hate dirty frank because the band said somehting about it being a bad song? id like to hear it..

sure the lyrics are terrible but if nothing else its a fun (but repetitive) groove, I always thought an instrumental version sandwiched in the middle of a song would be fun, put a 45 seconds in the middle of an even flow jam (if is that even possible, i know nothing about keys or whatever) and see if anyones paying attention..
    pearl jam fans don't really take to "joke" or "fun" songs very well. the first time I heard it, I thought it was an obvious nod to RHCP. Sure enough, years later, when describing it, it might be in the book, one of the guys said "written on the chili peppers tour". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    I'm willing to get ratioed on this one...Indifference and Bee Girl.  Way to much play time for just songs that don't hit home.
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    PB11041 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PB11041 said:

It is the same chord progression and beat for the most part, they don't sound the same because the verses and chorus are not song like an ad for Long John Silver's.  Mike's guitar parts drive so much of the focus of the song that you easily drift away from the similarity.  

Definitely some collaborative collusion there...

• scottpg99scottpg99 Papillion, NE USA Posts: 16
    Last Kiss!  woof
    nycrats said:

pearl jam fans don't really take to "joke" or "fun" songs very well. the first time I heard it, I thought it was an obvious nod to RHCP. Sure enough, years later, when describing it, it might be in the book, one of the guys said "written on the chili peppers tour". 
    Lost Dogs liner notes.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:

Lost Dogs liner notes.
    that's where it was. thanks!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PB11041 said:
    nycrats said:

Lost Dogs liner notes.
    that's where it was. thanks!

yeah. it is just a fun jam really. done tongue in cheek. but that's what I like about it. back then all the songs were so "serious". it was cool just to hear them jamming.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Johnny Guitar
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I'm willing to get ratioed on this one...Indifference and Bee Girl.  Way to much play time for just songs that don't hit home.

PJNB said:

Lol. Indifference with the house lights on is haunting.  Every single person in that place knows every single word.  Amazing song live. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

Lol. Indifference with the house lights on is haunting.  Every single person in that place knows every single word.  Amazing song live. 
    Top 5 song for me maybe top 3. I can see it not being someone's favourite but to put it at the bottom is crazy! Love this thread and seeing everyones different taste. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

And yet I've only seen it live once in 27 shows... lol... well not funny.. I love that song.   Any time they they play two nights in the same city, they shouldn't repeat the closer :( 
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Zod said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

And yet I've only seen it live once in 27 shows... lol... well not funny.. I love that song.   Any time they they play two nights in the same city, they shouldn't repeat the closer :( 
    I'm 2 for 2 with it, would love yellow ledbetter or Baba to close a show
    KN219077 said:
    Zod said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

I m 11/58.  I d go with indifference over rockin any day of the week. 

• Last Kiss is probably my least favorite song of all the songs they play.  But it’s also a cover, so I won’t kill them for it.  
    Cant Deny Me is awful
    Gremmie Out of Control 
    Most of Lightning Bolt

• mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

Indifference should be played with the house lights off though.

But yes, amazing song
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Always, ever, since LB came out, the answer is only one for me: Sirens.

But Sirens.. if a god existed, he/she would know how much I wish they'd never wrote that song. Can't really save anything from it.I 
    Agreed
    8/28/98, 9/8/98, 8/3/00, 8/23/00, 8/24/00,8/27/00, 9/1/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/9/03, 7/14/03, 5/31/06
    6/3/06, 6/19/08, EV 8/7/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 05/18/10, EV 6/18/11, 10/25/13, 4/29/16, 9/2/18
    mcgruff10 said:
    KN219077 said:
    Zod said:
    I m 11/58.  I d go with indifference over rockin any day of the week. 

It'd be nice if the next tour they put some covers into the time capsule Rockin has now been played 311 times.  Baba 165.  Would much rather them dig out their deep cuts and play them with frequency. 

Also would be cool to see the back end of the show shuffle a bit.  I am kind of surprised they did not play Alive twice at the ten show in Philly 4.29.16 so that it could appear 2nd to last or 3rd to last as it has nearly 100% of the time since September 28, 2009.   

• vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    How “Sleeping By Myself” is not the consensus pick is beyond me.  Its the background music to an ad for a rom-com.  “She’s overworked and lonely.  He’s sad and unlucky.  This fall, Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler find out just how much they’re willing to risk to take a chance on love.  From director Judd Apatow and the producers of “Bleh” and “Barf,” its Sleeping By Myself.

Its nice for parents and girlfriends of guys at concerts who don’t know or like PJ.  On a rock album or live set, it is a complete mood killer.

Thanks to Patton Oswalt for his “from the producers of” line.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    Mind your manners
    boring
    overplayed
    song just goes on and on
    It's certainly overrated/overplayed. I think Getaway is a much better tune.
    Agreed. Too bad they’ve never been able to get Getaway right in a live setting. I’m not sure why though? It’s a pretty straightforward song musically but it just doesn’t translate live at all. 
    Ed keeps singing Getwaway and it fucks up the band's timing. 
    I personally way prefer Mind Your Manners. I think it's probably the best song on that whole album. Getaway isn't the worst by any means, but I find it a little bit awkward.
    my attempt at subtle humour. put LB in a car stereo, and Getaway comes up as Getwaway. 
    I was in Europe when LB came out, pre-ordered album sitting in my mailbox at home, so someone on the boards sent me the album mp3s. First track named Getwaway - maybe done on purpose?? :lol: I never bothered to change it.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Glorified G, just a terrible song regardless of how you feel about guns.

Cant deny me is also a dud. 

Honestly not too fond of much after binaural. There are some standout songs I like, but as far as entire albums go they lost me at riot act.