Options

Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    Yes
    My mom thinks it's weird that no one out of her 4 chilren is gay. I even noticed during our teens that she very deliberately talked about homosexuality in a way to make us feel "it was a-okey".
    Sounds like you have a really cool mother with a very open mind.  Unfortunately, not all people have Mother's like that.  
    Cool and cool.... I feel pressure to turn gay.
    Are you serious?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    My mom thinks it's weird that no one out of her 4 chilren is gay. I even noticed during our teens that she very deliberately talked about homosexuality in a way to make us feel "it was a-okey".
    Sounds like you have a really cool mother with a very open mind.  Unfortunately, not all people have Mother's like that.  
    Are you serious?
    Yes, we're all very serious here.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited December 2018
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Forgot to add,
    When my mum mentions my future children I tell her that it won't happen and she gets all sad and scared. 

Having children just because your mother wants grandchildren is one of the worst reasons to have children. They aren't accessories. 
    Words of wisdom.
    Never let bullshit societal norms or the desires of others force you into something you don't truly want for yourself.
    Won't happen.
    What is starting to get to me is people questioning my unemployed status. Is it a societal norm to work? 
    Uh, well no, I wouldn't say that. I mean, yeah, people normally work which makes it normal in society. But people have to work to support themselves, feed themselves, clothe themselves, etc. But FYI, being a full time student is considered a job. It is very very normal for a full time student not to work. That's why student loans are so high, lol. So just tell people that when they ask about your unemployment status. If you stop being a full time student and still don't have a job, then you'll just be someone who doesn't support himself.
    People are like 'well I went through university and held a part time job bla bla"
    Psychology is so competitive that you need a very high GPA to get accepted into postgraduate degrees.
    If that wasn't the case I'd work part time and study full time. I need to dedicate 100% of my time to my current degree to have a chance at postgraduate.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Forgot to add,
    When my mum mentions my future children I tell her that it won't happen and she gets all sad and scared. 

Having children just because your mother wants grandchildren is one of the worst reasons to have children. They aren't accessories. 
    Words of wisdom.
    Never let bullshit societal norms or the desires of others force you into something you don't truly want for yourself.
    Won't happen.
    What is starting to get to me is people questioning my unemployed status. Is it a societal norm to work? 
    Uh, well no, I wouldn't say that. I mean, yeah, people normally work which makes it normal in society. But people have to work to support themselves, feed themselves, clothe themselves, etc. But FYI, being a full time student is considered a job. It is very very normal for a full time student not to work. That's why student loans are so high, lol. So just tell people that when they ask about your unemployment status. If you stop being a full time student and still don't have a job, then you'll just be someone who doesn't support himself.
    People are like 'well I went through university and held a part time job bla bla"
    Psychology is so competitive that you need a very high GPA to get accepted into postgraduate degrees.
    If that wasn't the case I'd work part time and study full time. I need to dedicate 100% of my time to my current degree to have a chance at postgraduate.
    Ya, well some people are jerks, lol. I actually worked part time all through full time university myself, but man, it sure would have been nice to not have, lol. I chose to move out from my parents' house early so had to work to support myself without screwing myself with too many loans... but that is just one of the legit options. Dude, stop caring so much about what other people think about your choices. I feel like you haven't had the greatest epiphany of adulthood: who cares what other people think???? Fuck 'em!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Forgot to add,

Words of wisdom.
    Won't happen.
    Ya, well some people are jerks, lol. I actually worked part time all through full time university myself, but man, it sure would have been nice to not have, lol. I chose to move out from my parents' house early so had to work to support myself without screwing myself with too many loans... but that is just one of the legit options. Dude, stop caring so much about what other people think about your choices. I feel like you haven't had the greatest epiphany of adulthood: who cares what other people think???? Fuck 'em!!
    I feel great shame when people ask me what I do with myself and I say I'm a full time student rather than giving an occupation.
    I don't even know what I want to do after university. I feel like a lost soul in this world.
    Thought I wanted to be a clinical psychologist when I went back to uni, now I am not sure it's for me. Plus I have my own shit that is unresolved. Not exactly the ideal practitioner. Not sure if academia/research is my thing either. I was thinking maybe social work but my fucking passion is art (even though I have been lost for painting ideas the past 3 weeks and have done nothing).
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Forgot to add,

Words of wisdom.
    Won't happen.
     It's your business how you support yourself.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Forgot to add,

Words of wisdom.
    Won't happen.

Had to work to support your partying ways...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited December 2018
    Yes
    Wma31394 said:
    Went to the pharmacy and ran into a new employee from the HR department. She stopped me and we talked a while about my surgery and about how I was feeling. 

One - kind of weird talking to people from work outside of the office. Sort of. A bit.

Two - Maybe I should ask her out. BEING ON THE ROLL THAT I AM!
    Theres only one thing to do..Start a new thread titled.."Should I ask out new employee from HR?"

Nope, I think the next thread should be a matchmakers thread(thanks for the idea, dankind). A thread in which we nominate people to be the next PJ board couple IRL. I nominate njnancy and meltdown. They are both mature people who have learned a lot about the ups and downs of love. I think they would treat each other well.

I'm assuming mature as in not immature. But I have already said I am single by choice. I may date in the future but I would never get married again. I didn't even marry my son's father. I tried it once and it was a crock. 

I do like the John Cusack video however, simply because I love John Cusack. 

I don't come on for one day and Meltdown and I have been turned into to doves?? :who_me:  
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Are you serious?
    Read my quote again, in for example Norm McDonalds voice. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    No
    njnancy said:
    Wma31394 said:
    Went to the pharmacy and ran into a new employee from the HR department. She stopped me and we talked a while about my surgery and about how I was feeling. 

One - kind of weird talking to people from work outside of the office. Sort of. A bit.

Theres only one thing to do..Start a new thread titled.."Should I ask out new employee from HR?"

Nope, I think the next thread should be a matchmakers thread(thanks for the idea, dankind). A thread in which we nominate people to be the next PJ board couple IRL. I nominate njnancy and meltdown. They are both mature people who have learned a lot about the ups and downs of love. I think they would treat each other well.

I'm assuming mature as in not immature. But I have already said I am single by choice. I may date in the future but I would never get married again. I didn't even marry my son's father. I tried it once and it was a crock. 

I don't come on for one day and Meltdown and I have been turned into to doves?? :who_me:  

Nancy, I don't like marriage, so I definitely wasn't talking about that. Doves were a bad choice, in retrospect.
    And the Four Weddings and a Funeral video. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Forgot to add,

Words of wisdom.
    Won't happen.
    I feel great shame when people ask me what I do with myself and I say I'm a full time student rather than giving an occupation.
    I don't even know what I want to do after university. I feel like a lost soul in this world.
    Thought I wanted to be a clinical psychologist when I went back to uni, now I am not sure it's for me. Plus I have my own shit that is unresolved. Not exactly the ideal practitioner. Not sure if academia/research is my thing either. I was thinking maybe social work but my fucking passion is art (even though I have been lost for painting ideas the past 3 weeks and have done nothing).
    everyone is fucked up to a degree. psychologists are no different. I once read a psychologist say that they can be some of the MOST fucked up people! LOL

I'm 44. have a decent job, but it's not my passion. I just kind of lucked into it through working at the same place since I was 23 when I started in security.

when i was younger I always thought I was going to be a cop. Then in high school I thought I'd be a good accountant.

You know what I really want to be when I grow up? HAPPY. that's what. 

I like the people I work with, my job isn't stressful, the benefits/pension are out of this world, it puts food on the table and my girls in dance and me at concerts and my wife out for dinner and drinks with friends. I've come to appreciate this. People may think I have "settled" and I'm wasting my potential. I say "fuck you" to anyone that thinks they know what I want/need. it took me a long time to realize I need to stop giving a shit what people think. satisfying others will NEVER make you happy. it doesn't matter if it's a spouse, a friend, a peer, a parent. 

a guy I'm friends with once said to me "why don't you go back to school so you can make more money? don't you want your kids to want for nothing?". why, so they can see their dad miserable and non-engaging because he's too stressed out/busy with work like my dad was? yeah, no thanks. I'd rather play board games with my kids. 

what opened my eyes? a guy i went to high school with, I saw years later through work. He was an accountant. i asked him how he liked it. He said "I fucking hate it. I only do it because that's what my parents wanted me to do". 

I often see people I used to work with. They look at me with shock (and seeming disdain) when I tell them I still work there. Then I get the "lifer, eh?" comments, like it's something to be embarassed about. you know how I respond? "yep. why would I leave? it's a great place to work". if you respond to people like that with unapologetic, positive confidence, it shuts them down/up immediately. you simply cannot make fun of someone's happiness. 

if you are confident in the choices you've made for yourself then project that. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    Wma31394 said:

Nancy, I don't like marriage, so I definitely wasn't talking about that. Doves were a bad choice, in retrospect.
    :lol:

I was mistaken, the doves are Dyer and Ali. We was swans. 

I'm sorry things didn't work out for you and Thoughts. 

And the John Cusack video is from Serendipity I believe. Four Weddings and a Funeral would have been...confusing (and there would have been no John Cusack). 

I'm here almost 5 years, there are plenty more deserving members that have been here longer than I. It is only fair they go first. :wink:
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    Yes
    I was thinking about the cycle of parents sacrificing for their kids.  If that was the goal then only kids have fun and adults keep on sacrificing.  

Hugh - people are obsessed with work defining their lives.  You let your personal life define you and that is about as much as you can ask for or want.   

Any time I see an adult with a Mohawk or dressing differently than the societal norm I tell other adults who laugh at them that I am jealous of those people who as adults can just wear what they want without fear of a business partner or customer seeing them out in Public with “gasp” a Nine Inch Nails shirt.
  • Options
    I was thinking about the cycle of parents sacrificing for their kids.  If that was the goal then only kids have fun and adults keep on sacrificing.  

Hugh - people are obsessed with work defining their lives.  You let your personal life define you and that is about as much as you can ask for or want.   

Any time I see an adult with a Mohawk or dressing differently than the societal norm I tell other adults who laugh at them that I am jealous of those people who as adults can just wear what they want without fear of a business partner or customer seeing them out in Public with “gasp” a Nine Inch Nails shirt.
    yeah, this is exactly where I'm at. my kids have enough (they honestly have too much). the only thing we might want is a bigger house, but not too much bigger, but that will come soon enough anyway. if I wanted to bust my ass for 8 years of schooling just so my kids could go to mexico every winter, I'd see that as a total waste. my dad busted his ass his whole working life and we never went anywhere. And I couldn't give a shit. I have gone places as an adult. My kids are fortunate as hell that they got to go to Mexico once and swim with fucking turtles in an underground reservoir. And spend 4 nights on a houseboat in the Canadian rockies. so we're obviously not doing too bad. 

I'm low enough on the ladder that there is literally no expectation of any kind of professionalism outside of work. Everyone knows me as the "rock star" who frequents heavy rock concerts and enjoys whiskey and weed. And I honestly don't give AF who knows, from the mail room to the president, as I have zero interest in "moving up" in the corporation. 

some of my best friends are very professionally driven, and that's great for them. whatever works for you, do it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Yes

yeah, this is exactly where I'm at. my kids have enough (they honestly have too much). the only thing we might want is a bigger house, but not too much bigger, but that will come soon enough anyway. if I wanted to bust my ass for 8 years of schooling just so my kids could go to mexico every winter, I'd see that as a total waste. my dad busted his ass his whole working life and we never went anywhere. And I couldn't give a shit. I have gone places as an adult. My kids are fortunate as hell that they got to go to Mexico once and swim with fucking turtles in an underground reservoir. And spend 4 nights on a houseboat in the Canadian rockies. so we're obviously not doing too bad. 

I'm low enough on the ladder that there is literally no expectation of any kind of professionalism outside of work. Everyone knows me as the "rock star" who frequents heavy rock concerts and enjoys whiskey and weed. And I honestly don't give AF who knows, from the mail room to the president, as I have zero interest in "moving up" in the corporation. 

some of my best friends are very professionally driven, and that's great for them. whatever works for you, do it. 
    The houseboat in the Rockies is that like a rental company.  That would be sweet.  Love the Rockies.  Growing all our family could afford vacation wise was a couple weeks camping up in Northern Ontario...loved it.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    No
    njnancy said:

:lol:

I was mistaken, the doves are Dyer and Ali. We was swans. 

I'm sorry things didn't work out for you and Thoughts. 

And the John Cusack video is from Serendipity I believe. Four Weddings and a Funeral would have been...confusing (and there would have been no John Cusack). 

I'm here almost 5 years, there are plenty more deserving members that have been here longer than I. It is only fair they go first. :wink:
    Me and Thoughts, would make each other way too sad I think. We need to be paired up with ridiculously cheerful people to balance everybody out. Lol. 

That is so gracious of you to put other PJ members who have been here longer first, but I think I'm done with matchmaking. There just aren't enough single ladies here to really make a go of it. And it would be a logistical nightmare. Thank you for being a good sport. It was fun while it lasted.
  • Options
    Yes
    Are there ridiculously  cheery pearl jam fans? :)
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    No
    :lol:  Good point!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Yes
    That was my exact same thought. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

The houseboat in the Rockies is that like a rental company.  That would be sweet.  Love the Rockies.  Growing all our family could afford vacation wise was a couple weeks camping up in Northern Ontario...loved it.
    yes, Twin Anchors houseboating on Shuswap Lake. it was incredible. troll the lake all day, have some drinks, go for a swim, then find a beach and park the boat, have a fire and some more drinks, and then do it al over again the next day. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Yes

I’m pretty skeptical about anyone who thinks their kids “shouldn’t want for anything”. That’s a straight path to disaster. They shouldn’t want for the basics, of course, like safe and warm housing, enough food, and people who love and care for them, as well as a reasonable amount of clothing and books and toys and such. Other than that, best to leave them wanting more, or where else would their drive to make their own life come from? 
  • Options

I’m pretty skeptical about anyone who thinks their kids “shouldn’t want for anything”. That’s a straight path to disaster. They shouldn’t want for the basics, of course, like safe and warm housing, enough food, and people who love and care for them, as well as a reasonable amount of clothing and books and toys and such. Other than that, best to leave them wanting more, or where else would their drive to make their own life come from? 
    exactly. my kids have too much as it is. and here we are, 19 days away from More Junk We'll Play With Once A Pallooza. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Yes

yes, Twin Anchors houseboating on Shuswap Lake. it was incredible. troll the lake all day, have some drinks, go for a swim, then find a beach and park the boat, have a fire and some more drinks, and then do it al over again the next day. 
    Thanks for the tip.  I am going to look into this, it sounds fantastic.  It sounds like a perfect vacation.  I bet your kids had a blast.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Thanks for the tip.  I am going to look into this, it sounds fantastic.  It sounds like a perfect vacation.  I bet your kids had a blast.  
    they did. it's freaking expensive though. $4500 for 4 nights. And we obviously flew there and back (thank god for points!). It was us and 2 other families. so $1500 per family. Problem was, as an introvert, it was a bit difficult. Zero alone time. 13 people. two small bedrooms each with a double bed. Everyone else slept in the living room or in the loft (for the smaller kids). I went a bit batty by the third day that not even 30 beers could cure. Good thing I didn't buy any whiskey. There would have been murder on the low seas. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Yes

they did. it's freaking expensive though. $4500 for 4 nights. And we obviously flew there and back (thank god for points!). It was us and 2 other families. so $1500 per family. Problem was, as an introvert, it was a bit difficult. Zero alone time. 13 people. two small bedrooms each with a double bed. Everyone else slept in the living room or in the loft (for the smaller kids). I went a bit batty by the third day that not even 30 beers could cure. Good thing I didn't buy any whiskey. There would have been murder on the low seas. LOL
    Yes, I understand needing alone time. I'm an introvert as well.  That must have been tough.  The sacrifices are worth it for the kids.  My mom was never a big camper, but she knew we loved camping ... so she went and never complained.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Yes

You’re trolling even on vacation?

JK =)
  • Options

JK =)
    haha, JERK! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Yes

JK =)
    haha, JERK! 
    Oooooh, you're upping the ante.....  
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,484
    23scidoo said:
    Swedish..
    What are Greek mothers like?
    Have you listen to ''Mother'' from Pink Floyd??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    No
    I have. :hug: