Global warming

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    hybrids and full electrics won't be affordable until they are mass produced.
    and for them to be mass produced, there has to be a market.
    to be a market, they have to be affordable to the masses.
    to be affordable to the masses, they have to be mass produced.
    to be mass produced.......
    But it's like that with every new technology.  Even the newest TVs.  Think about computers.  You need enough of the Rich early adopters to provide $ to get investors thinking their is something there.  Then they invest...improve efficiencies and costs continue to come down.  And, if the technology is good and what people what, same thing will happen here.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hybrids and full electrics won't be affordable until they are mass produced.
    and for them to be mass produced, there has to be a market.
    to be a market, they have to be affordable to the masses.
    to be affordable to the masses, they have to be mass produced.
    to be mass produced.......
    But it's like that with every new technology.  Even the newest TVs.  Think about computers.  You need enough of the Rich early adopters to provide $ to get investors thinking their is something there.  Then they invest...improve efficiencies and costs continue to come down.  And, if the technology is good and what people what, same thing will happen here.
    tech companies can afford to do it without outside investment, as the turnover rate for new technology is a few years at most. cars can be kept for a couple decades. very different scales we are talking here. 

and removing big oil from the equation isn't the same as tweaking a microchip where that infrasctructure is already in place to develop it. 

oil companies aren't going to just switch over to electric.  and the thousands of people employed in the auto sector won't be skilled in the manufacture of electric cars. what do you do with those people? how are you going to sell putting thousands upon thousands of blue collar workers out of a job to the general public?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    Blue collar workers have to make electric cars just like they have to make non-electric ones. Yes, they will need re-training, but anyone doing it will need training. It's not like there are electric car building experts waiting in the wings, ready to take the place of the gas car builders. They are being pushed out of their jobs because car companies are failing them by not moving with the times fast enough or willingly enough, not because of the technology of electric cars. GM is the prime example. Once the major car manufacturers pull their heads out of their asses the workers will be back in the factories learning how to put together the new car and SUV models.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    Blue collar workers have to make electric cars just like they have to make non-electric ones. Yes, they will need re-training, but anyone doing it will need training. It's not like there are electric car building experts waiting in the wings, ready to take the place of the gas car builders. They are being pushed out of their jobs because car companies are failing them by not moving with the times fast enough or willingly enough, not because of the technology of electric cars. GM is the prime example. Once the major car manufacturers pull their heads out of their asses the workers will be back in the factories learning how to put together the new car and SUV models.
    Well then, I guess that solves that. HAHA
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    Well then, I guess that solves that. HAHA
    Well it obviously solves nothing because these people who are clinging to the oil industry and everything that entails have their heads WAY up their asses.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

Now I see why smart cars get such good gas mileage...
    Haha!  Pocket sized!

We looked at a smart car but decided against base on three things:
    1.  Not big enough for two people PLUS hundreds of books.
    2,  Requires premium (high octane) fuel.
    3.  Can only be serviced at a Smart Car dealership.

If I lived in a big city, I would consider one.  Some people shy away because they think they are dangerous because they are small but I'm told they are highly reinforced. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Luxembourg set to become the first country in the world to make all public transportation free, as of 2020.

Apparently this tiny country is jam-packed with traffic.

They also hope to legalize cannabis, too. 

It's not too late to move to Luxembourg.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/05/luxembourg-to-become-first-country-to-make-all-public-transport-free
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Luxembourg set to become the first country in the world to make all public transportation free, as of 2020.

Apparently this tiny country is jam-packed with traffic.

They also hope to legalize cannabis, too. 

It's not too late to move to Luxembourg.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/05/luxembourg-to-become-first-country-to-make-all-public-transport-free
    I ordered a hard-to-find 12" Dinosaur Jr EP from a record dealer in Luxembourg.  The shipping costs were very reasonable and it arrived lightning quick.  I couldn't believe how fast it showed up, clear over here on the west coast. 

Sounds like a cool place that Deluxembourg.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    You really have no clue about the manufacturing industry, do you?  So why pretend? These blue collar workers are not going to be building the electric cars.  Oshawa assembly will be closed, these workers will not be getting there job back.  These so-called cars of the future will be built in China and Mexico and whatever 3rd world hole where GM and other manufacturers can EXPLOIT people.  If you DO not, believe me, call the citizens of Flint, Mi, Detroit, Mi, Windsor, Ontario, St. Thomas, On, Chatham, Ontario, Oshawa, Ontario and many, many more communities that have seen good-paying manufacturing jobs leave to Mexico.  You still don't believe me, give Jerry Dias, president of Unifor a call...ask him?  When you have him on the phone ask him how many factories have been closed in Mexico and moved north.  For the record I do not like Jerry Dias, I think Trudeau played him...he supported the new NAFTA when in reality he should not have supported it.  By the way one of the closed plants in GM restructuring was the Chevy Volt plant, why?  They stopped making it.  GM has already stated NO ONE is buying cars, people want SUV's and Trucks...Part of GM's restructuring is so they can focus on Electric cars, this is bullshit.  GM knows electric cars are a long ways off from mass production.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    It's raining junk: Weather service dumping balloons and e-waste across the landscape

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/balloon-weather-environment-canada-radiosondes-ewaste-toxic-batteries-1.4897720

Exactly why I will never support a carbon tax.  Typical government, do as I say, not as I do
    Give Peas A Chance…
    It's raining junk: Weather service dumping balloons and e-waste across the landscape

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/balloon-weather-environment-canada-radiosondes-ewaste-toxic-batteries-1.4897720

Exactly why I will never support a carbon tax.  Typical government, do as I say, not as I do
    At first, I liked the idea of the carbon tax.  Over the last several years it been looking more and more like a failed attempt to avoid the real solutions:  lower the population growth, use less/ live more simply, and produce durable goods. 

But as for weather- who doesn't check the forecast daily?  I do.  So what's the solution to this form of trashing the planet?

brianlux said:

At first, I liked the idea of the carbon tax.  Over the last several years it been looking more and more like a failed attempt to avoid the real solutions:  lower the population growth, use less/ live more simply, and produce durable goods. 

But as for weather- who doesn't check the forecast daily?  I do.  So what's the solution to this form of trashing the planet?
    They can take any 1 of 1000 taxes that government has and rename it a carbon tax...

It's not just the weather balloons, it the dumping of raw sewage into our waterways.  

I will never support a carbon tax...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

They can take any 1 of 1000 taxes that government has and rename it a carbon tax...

It's not just the weather balloons, it the dumping of raw sewage into our waterways.  

I can understand not being in favor of carbon tax. 

So how do we resolve these problems, particularly the situation with weather balloons.  And don't tell me you don't know 'cause I'm old and lazy and I wanna know!  :lol:

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

So how do we resolve these problems, particularly the situation with weather balloons.  And don't tell me you don't know 'cause I'm old and lazy and I wanna know!  :lol:
    Maybe the folks who put these balloons should figure it out.  

Or at the very least do not tax me more when your house is not in order...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I'm assuming those balloons are filled with helium.  The article mentions these things burst and the trash falls to the ground.  Bad as it is, the worst part about that is no the trash falling to the ground.  Trash can be recovered, helium cannot.  Helium is a nonrenewable element.  It cannot be recovered and it cannot be produced.  Once it's gone, it's gone.  So this is yet another example of how stupid and short sighted humans are.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I'm assuming those balloons are filled with helium.  The article mentions these things burst and the trash falls to the ground.  Bad as it is, the worst part about that is no the trash falling to the ground.  Trash can be recovered, helium cannot.  Helium is a nonrenewable element.  It cannot be recovered and it cannot be produced.  Once it's gone, it's gone.  So this is yet another example of how stupid and short sighted humans are.
    I remember reading that helium was in short supply?  Or at the very least should be used more cautiously.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…

You California's can't catch a break, forest fires and mudslides causing havoc and snow north of LA..I don't we have had that much snow yet...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    We're likely to see more of these devastating fires in places like California, western north America and Australia.

"California is in the grip of what its governor, Jerry Brown, calls the “new abnormal”. The past five years have been the hottest on record in the state, which is in stuttering recovery from its worst drought in a millennium. The state has received just a fifth of its normal rainfall so far in 2018, with a record 1.6m acres of grassland, forest and urban area, an area larger than Delaware, burning this year.

Of the multifarious consequences of climate change, scientists consider increasingly ferocious wildfires to be one of the most starkly apparent. Rising atmospheric heat – average minimum temperatures in California are 2.3F warmer than a century ago – is drying out trees and shrubs, drawing moisture away from the soil and shrinking the snowpack. Dampening rains are becoming erratic, or, like this year, not materializing at all."

brianlux said:
    We're likely to see more of these devastating fires in places like California, western north America and Australia.

"California is in the grip of what its governor, Jerry Brown, calls the “new abnormal”. The past five years have been the hottest on record in the state, which is in stuttering recovery from its worst drought in a millennium. The state has received just a fifth of its normal rainfall so far in 2018, with a record 1.6m acres of grassland, forest and urban area, an area larger than Delaware, burning this year.

Of the multifarious consequences of climate change, scientists consider increasingly ferocious wildfires to be one of the most starkly apparent. Rising atmospheric heat – average minimum temperatures in California are 2.3F warmer than a century ago – is drying out trees and shrubs, drawing moisture away from the soil and shrinking the snowpack. Dampening rains are becoming erratic, or, like this year, not materializing at all."

Face it God doesn't love you California hippies.  /s
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

What do you mean?  God is a hippie.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Macho Man!!!
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

What do you mean?  God is a hippie.

LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    You really have no clue about the manufacturing industry, do you?  So why pretend? These blue collar workers are not going to be building the electric cars.  Oshawa assembly will be closed, these workers will not be getting there job back.  These so-called cars of the future will be built in China and Mexico and whatever 3rd world hole where GM and other manufacturers can EXPLOIT people.  If you DO not, believe me, call the citizens of Flint, Mi, Detroit, Mi, Windsor, Ontario, St. Thomas, On, Chatham, Ontario, Oshawa, Ontario and many, many more communities that have seen good-paying manufacturing jobs leave to Mexico.  You still don't believe me, give Jerry Dias, president of Unifor a call...ask him?  When you have him on the phone ask him how many factories have been closed in Mexico and moved north.  For the record I do not like Jerry Dias, I think Trudeau played him...he supported the new NAFTA when in reality he should not have supported it.  By the way one of the closed plants in GM restructuring was the Chevy Volt plant, why?  They stopped making it.  GM has already stated NO ONE is buying cars, people want SUV's and Trucks...Part of GM's restructuring is so they can focus on Electric cars, this is bullshit.  GM knows electric cars are a long ways off from mass production.
    I do actually. But I'm not suggesting that the Oshawa plant will reopen (FWIW, I once did a term-long in-depth analysis of the Oshawa plant in university while I was studying union communications).
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    See you all down in Arizona Bay

Greenhouse gas emissions accelerate like a "freight train" in 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/climate/greenhouse-gas-emissions-2018.html
    2050 Vacation in Miami:

Next stop, dunking for apples in the Big Apple.

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    I do actually. But I'm not suggesting that the Oshawa plant will reopen (FWIW, I once did a term-long in-depth analysis of the Oshawa plant in university while I was studying union communications).
    Then I do not need to tell you that Jerry Dias is spinning a bunch of misconceptions in regards to Oshawa.  It's been on life support since 2015, they produced what is referred to as orphan vehicles, they did not have a dedicated product, they made the Camera and Impala (bigger cars that people do not buy) and they painted a couple of truck lines, most of their supply chain is west of Toronto and with Toronto congestion getting parts there in their just in time delivery system is likely getting more difficult.  I understand the Unions frustration, these are great paying jobs that are disappearing and not coming back...and I think the Union would like the bleeding to stop, it's not going to stop.  Ontario is an expensive place to do business.  Now Fiat/Chrysler is opening a new assembly plant in Detroit, so there is still hope.  Let's also remember that Trudeau wrote off some of that bailout money they received.  According to Doug Ford, GM did not ask for a thing, they said it is a done deal.   All those towns I listed have been devastated by the loss of manufacturing.  These morons that go on and on about diversifying the economy are idiots, it's easier said than done.  Even Dias admits that building electric cars in Oshawa will never happen, nor was it even close to a solution, electric cars only make up 2% of car sales.  The only solution is for the auto companies to bring back lines from Mexico, that's not happening.  But hey, he and buddy Trudeau happily endorsed a deal that included Mexico...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Never mind climate change, Davos prefers private jets

https://www.thelocal.ch/20190122/never-mind-climate-change-davos-prefers-private-jets

LMFAO...suckers.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Never mind climate change, Davos prefers private jets

https://www.thelocal.ch/20190122/never-mind-climate-change-davos-prefers-private-jets

LMFAO...suckers.
    If you could read their minds you would hear something like, "Well, the world is screwed anyway so we'll do the party elite style until the end and tell all the rest of the suckers how bad we feel about global warming."