Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Live Rust is phenomenal 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • I want this guy anywhere nearby in Spain next year.  I NEED my fix.
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Neil/Bob double bill rumored for Kilkenny,Ireland on July 14th ...Hope its true !
    Same organizers/owners as the Hyde Park festival..?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Neil/Bob double bill rumored for Kilkenny,Ireland on July 14th ...Hope its true !
    Rumor from local newspaper..
    1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2
    Rumor from local newspaper..
    A friend just said "If they both play Ireland, we're going".

So, we'll see if it materializes. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    my2hands said:
    Whats the word on NYA archives going mobile?

Goldrush, by the way, you're the man
    Thanks! :)

No real update on mobile yet. At the bottom of the subscription confirmation email it says "Mobile app coming soon!"... but Neil has always been pretty flexible with his definition of the word 'soon'
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • A more garagey Crazy Horse release would have been perfect as a Christmas present for my dad. I don't think he really cares for another accoustic Archive release... There's been too many (in a row).

Would have been perfect with the Mirrorball live release for Christimas instead of Songs for Judy.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    For the folks on a limited budget...

Amazon has "Songs for Judy" on vinyl for under $16. 
    I purchased the Rust Never Sleeps dvd today as the store had a sale.
    Finished watching it earlier, brilliant show. Not sure I liked the Jawas and all that craziness between songs.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I purchased the Rust Never Sleeps dvd today as the store had a sale.
    Finished watching it earlier, brilliant show. Not sure I liked the Jawas and all that craziness between songs.
    I would edit out all that stoner Road Eyes nonsense if I could.  Otherwise, that video rocks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

So does this, would love to chill on his ranch like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl92tqlk7Wc

I grew up on the peninsula south of San Francisco, not too far from Neil's ranch- maybe 20 minutes drive or so, but by the time he bought the place, I had moved up to San Francisco and later to Chico and then back down to the peninsula.  Never saw it nor him (other than in concert).  I'm pretty sure it was off La Honda Rd., but the access to it has been kept unknown quite well. As a kid and later as an adult I used to take La Honda Road from the Bay Area over the hills to the coast to places like San Gregorio, Pescadero and Bean Hollow State Beach.  God, I miss those days!

I don't think Neil has the ranch any more but I'm not sure.   The Coast Range hills where it is located are quite nice.  A person with nothing but massive buckets of money might actually be able to live around there still. Not me!   It's insanely expensive land these days.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• For the folks on a limited budget...

Would be $45.000 to get to Sweden. Haha. 

Fuck customs and shit.
    brianlux said:

I grew up on the peninsula south of San Francisco, not too far from Neil's ranch- maybe 20 minutes drive or so, but by the time he bought the place, I had moved up to San Francisco and later to Chico and then back down to the peninsula.  Never saw it nor him (other than in concert).  I'm pretty sure it was off La Honda Rd., but the access to it has been kept unknown quite well. As a kid and later as an adult I used to take La Honda Road from the Bay Area over the hills to the coast to places like San Gregorio, Pescadero and Bean Hollow State Beach.  God, I miss those days!

I don't think Neil has the ranch any more but I'm not sure.   The Coast Range hills where it is located are quite nice.  A person with nothing but massive buckets of money might actually be able to live around there still. Not me!   It's insanely expensive land these days.
    Sounds like a cool, peaceful place?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    For the folks on a limited budget...

Would be $45.000 to get to Sweden. Haha. 

Fuck customs and shit.
    Let me rephrase this:

For the folks on a limited budget in the US...

brianlux said:

Sounds like a cool, peaceful place?
    It was then.  I don't get down that way much any more.  The traffic is insane.  Probably even in the hills.

• brianlux said:
    I just added this book to my Neil Young Book collection, Neil Young FAQ, by Glen Boyd.  It's chock full of interesting articles about Neil and loads of details about releases etc., and it has a very cool Forward written by Thrasher, the wonderful whom ever who oversees the ThrasherWheat.org site.  Very cool book!

Is this really a good book? If one has read Shakey and Waging Heavy Peace?

Read some reviews on amazon... and peoples opinions vary alot...
    brianlux said:
    I just added this book to my Neil Young Book collection, Neil Young FAQ, by Glen Boyd.  It's chock full of interesting articles about Neil and loads of details about releases etc., and it has a very cool Forward written by Thrasher, the wonderful whom ever who oversees the ThrasherWheat.org site.  Very cool book!

As a reference yes, very good.  As a read cover-to-cover, probably not so good.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

yeah. not a huge fan of these FAQ books. 

Shakey and WHP are must reads though!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Shakey and WHP- yeah, I loved 'em both.  Reading between the lines in WHP, it appears Neil HATED Shakey!

• I got high-res downloads of Songs for Judy and Roxy last weekend.
    I have actually enjoyed going to work this week!
    Big recommendation to get them if you are considering it.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    brianlux said:
    lolobugg said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Shakey and WHP- yeah, I loved 'em both.  Reading between the lines in WHP, it appears Neil HATED Shakey!

I also have an older book called "Dreamer of Pictures". It is a good read too. focuses a little more on the 80s stuff than does Shakey.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited December 2018
    Some interesting posts from Neil and Elliott Roberts about the Hyde Park show:

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
  • So... if he's talking about a European tour coming. Should one get a NYA subscription to be able to get tickets? 

Not that interested in the Archives - won't be on there... but maybe do it for the tickets...
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited December 2018
    goldrush said:
    Some interesting posts from Neil and Elliott Roberts about the Hyde Park show:

I fucking LOVE this man
    Looks like Neil won this one...

(Tim Rogers)
    And in other news... 

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    Looks like Neil won this one...

Haha. I wonder if Bob has been in the loop on this.