Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    My cover terrible?
    Not terrible, by any means. Although coming from someone with a voice as shitty as mine that’s not much praise!
    Not bad though :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    I sent a couple of vinyl Archives questions in to the ‘Letters To The Editor’ page recently and they’ve just been answered. 

Neil confirmed that they do have live recordings from the Mirrorball tour, so there’s hope for a possible future vinyl release :)

Live at The Riverboat is the only Archives disc that hasn’t come out on vinyl yet, so it will be great to fill the gap.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    goldrush said:
    My cover terrible?
    Not terrible, by any means. Although coming from someone with a voice as shitty as mine that’s not much praise!
    Not bad though :)
    Fark finally. Thank you for listening and giving feedback :blush:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    After the gold rush is a good album. Not sure about the last song, cripple creek ferry, just does not suit the album.
    Loving my remastered albums of his. Could not find Zuma so bought it on iTunes.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    About every five years or so I'm reminded of this little NY tidbit:  About, oh I don't know, maybe 15 years ago, PBS public television was putting out (I think it was called) the American Master series- a series of music biopics on various musicians and groups.  One night, an edition of that series came on with Neil young as the subject of the documentary.  I popped in a tape into the VCR and hit "record".  About half way through the video, PBS went to a break.  Now that was unusual, because they had normally played the whole show through.  Even more oddly, after the break, they cut to another program.   They had run a deal that night where if you subscribed to PBS, they would send you a DVD of that night's Masters program.  So I sent the money and received... a different program on DVD.  They never explained why the switch, they never explained why the program had but cut off in the middle, I've never seen that show on tape or video anywhere including YouTube.

The only thing close to that show I know of is the BBC "Don't Be Denied" hour long documentary.  I think some of the footage from the PBS show is in that BBC production. 

This whole thing remains a mystery to me.  My guess is, Neil or some of his people had the PBC documentary pulled.  He says some rather harsh things in that video.  My guess is it wasn't all meant to be aired.

Does this sound familiar to any of you? Has anybody seen this?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    About every five years or so I'm reminded of this little NY tidbit:  About, oh I don't know, maybe 15 years ago, PBS public television was putting out (I think it was called) the American Master series- a series of music biopics on various musicians and groups.  One night, an edition of that series came on with Neil young as the subject of the documentary.  I popped in a tape into the VCR and hit "record".  About half way through the video, PBS went to a break.  Now that was unusual, because they had normally played the whole show through.  Even more oddly, after the break, they cut to another program.   They had run a deal that night where if you subscribed to PBS, they would send you a DVD of that night's Masters program.  So I sent the money and received... a different program on DVD.  They never explained why the switch, they never explained why the program had but cut off in the middle, I've never seen that show on tape or video anywhere including YouTube.

The only thing close to that show I know of is the BBC "Don't Be Denied" hour long documentary.  I think some of the footage from the PBS show is in that BBC production. 

This whole thing remains a mystery to me.  My guess is, Neil or some of his people had the PBC documentary pulled.  He says some rather harsh things in that video.  My guess is it wasn't all meant to be aired.

Does this sound familiar to any of you? Has anybody seen this?
    That sounds pretty strange Brian, but then again it’s also a pretty ‘Neil’ thing to happen! It would be interesting too see that footage. I wonder if he has it in the Archive somewhere?

(Tim Rogers)
    What are everyone's favourite albums?
    I love Zuma, On the Beach, and, Rust Never Sleeps, and After the Gold Rush.
    A cool little story (with some PJ), but with a sad ending...

(Tim Rogers)
  • After the gold rush is a good album. Not sure about the last song, cripple creek ferry, just does not suit the album.
    Loving my remastered albums of his. Could not find Zuma so bought it on iTunes.
    It was one of the songs inspired by the movie, the album was suppose to be a soundtrack to. 

It's quirky in a sweet way. Like Old King on Harvest Moon or Last Trip to Tulsa.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • What are everyone's favourite albums?
    Hard to not adore his entire 70's. 

But my favorites are:

SELF-TITLED debut
    EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS IS NOWHERE
    AFTER THE GOLDRUSH
    HARVEST
    COMES A TIME
    HARVEST MOON
    BROKEN ARROW
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Harvest,After the goldrush, Come a time,Rust never sleeps,Ragged glory,Weld, Mirrorball ( of course ! )
    Also love a letter home and The Monsanto years ( am i the only one ??)
    1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2

Harvest,After the goldrush, Come a time,Rust never sleeps,Ragged glory,Weld, Mirrorball ( of course ! )
    A Letter Home is a worthless "experiment", other than Neils letter he reads to his mom.

But Americana is really cool and rocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei2PVpSKkF4
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    goldrush said:
    Confirmation on NYA that ‘the giant song list’ is real! Anything can happen with POTR!

This is the way that I wish every artist I went to see was. So many bands become very formulaic in their setlists. Even the more unpredictable ones, if you study them long enough, you can narrow it down to a handful of openers (Pearl Jam are a case in point here). Long live Neil Young.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    After The Goldrush (obviously)
    Sleeps With Angels
    Broken Arrow
    Ragged Glory
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Le Noise
    Mirrorball
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

the list goes on...

(Tim Rogers)

A Letter Home is a worthless "experiment", other than Neils letter he reads to his mom.

I love Americana in the same way that I love Fork In The Road. The songs may not be the best, but it’s got a really cool vibe.

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:

I love Americana in the same way that I love Fork In The Road. The songs may not be the best, but it’s got a really cool vibe.
    Yep Fork in the Road has some cool sounding songs but is sort of a pointless album.
    This is so good, I want to get this show on dvd (Live Rust)...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3tsERm5MqQ
    goldrush said:
    A cool little story (with some PJ), but with a sad ending...

Oh man, a lot of different emotions going on reading that one.  A powerful story.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited November 2018
    My dad sounded so bitter when I told him NY was coming to Europe. Seems to be frightend of going to concert at old age, or maybe it's something medical he hasn't told me...

He went to Saxon with my youngest brother here in town. But don't seem comfortable with travelling.

Need to force him when NY comes.
  • This is so good, I want to get this show on dvd (Live Rust)...
    Think bigger. High def.

It was shot on film wasn't it? Would make a lovely Bluray.
  • Image result for neil young bob dylan hyde park
    First European date announced !
    1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2
  • Image result for neil young bob dylan hyde park
    That's one sweet double bill. 

Could it be they're doing a whole european tour together?
    Think bigger. High def.

It is only available on DVD...
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-Hot/warner/neil-young-crazy-horse-rust-never-sleeps-reissue/958640/
    Restored so must be better quality
  • Dylan is playing in my hometown too.. .so tough sell going to a festval in England. 

Man... Lauryn Hill is playing on Dec 10... had missed that. 

And Eagles are coming next summer.
    Think bigger. High def.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-Hot/warner/neil-young-crazy-horse-rust-never-sleeps-reissue/958640/
    Rust Never Sleeps was released on Blu Ray. I bought it from Neil’s webstore along with Earth and the Human Highway Blu Ray.

@Thoughts_Arrive Red Eye Records in Sydney has a copy available for $39.98. Shipping to Melbourne shouldn’t be too much, it’s well worth it!

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    Think bigger. High def.

Rust Never Sleeps was released on Blu Ray. I bought it from Neil’s webstore along with Earth and the Human Highway Blu Ray.

@Thoughts_Arrive Red Eye Records in Sydney has a copy available for $39.98. Shipping to Melbourne shouldn’t be too much, it’s well worth it!
    How was the image quality?
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Image result for neil young bob dylan hyde park
    That's one sweet double bill. 

Could it be they're doing a whole european tour together?

Damn it. I am jealous of that double bill.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    edited November 2018
    Over at NYA the subscriptions say they are starting 12/1, but then it says you can already purchase thru the site to get it early. BUT, I don't see any link to buy?

EDIT - found it
    Post edited by pjpitt89 on
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
    Image result for neil young bob dylan hyde park
    Wow!  I hope they film or record this!

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    edited November 2018
    If anyone has a vinyl copy of Sugar Mountain Live at Canterbury House or Dreamin Man, please let me know. I'd be looking to buy.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022