Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    The 60's, 70's and 90's has had up very well imo. The 80's on the other hand....
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    JimmyV said:
    I love Pearl Jam but I don't think a lot of other music from the 90's has aged very well.
    I disagree. I think the bands from the 90's that most of us revere (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Rage, Soundgarden, Radiohead, etc.) hold up very well today. I also think the one-hit wonder bands of that era were fun for what the were (Spin Doctors, Fastball, etc.) Hell, even the crappy pop music of the 90's is better than today's. I'll take the Macarena over whatever Beyoncé puts out. And rap? Forget it. It was a thousand times better in the 90's than it is today. Both the serious rappers (like Tupac) and the goofballs (like Skee-lo). 
    It's funny you should say that because Nirvana, RATM and Soundgarden are three in particular that I dont think sound as good today.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    I love Pearl Jam but I don't think a lot of other music from the 90's has aged very well.
    I disagree. I think the bands from the 90's that most of us revere (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Rage, Soundgarden, Radiohead, etc.) hold up very well today. I also think the one-hit wonder bands of that era were fun for what the were (Spin Doctors, Fastball, etc.) Hell, even the crappy pop music of the 90's is better than today's. I'll take the Macarena over whatever Beyoncé puts out. And rap? Forget it. It was a thousand times better in the 90's than it is today. Both the serious rappers (like Tupac) and the goofballs (like Skee-lo). 
    It's funny you should say that because Nirvana, RATM and Soundgarden are three in particular that I dont think sound as good today.
    I can't even listen to nirvana any more; it just doesn't agree with my palate.  RATM on the other hand,  those two albums still blow me away.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    Well to each their own I guess. I am kind of confused though. So are you saying that when you listen to these bands, you don't like them as much as you once did? Or are you saying these bands aren't like Zeppelin and Floyd where they'll always gain a new crop of fans with each generation?  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    Well to each their own I guess. I am kind of confused though. So are you saying that when you listen to these bands, you don't like them as much as you once did? Or are you saying these bands aren't like Zeppelin and Floyd where they'll always gain a new crop of fans with each generation?  
    Both, to an extent, but probably the former more than the latter. I don't enjoy Nirvana at all anymore, rarely even think of Rage, and much prefer Cornell's later solo acoustic stuff to SG. I wouldn't compare those bands to Zeppelin, the Who, the Stones, etc. But I also imagine each does have the capacity to earn new fans over time. It's just that they've lost one in me.

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    The band should release at least an EP's worth of material every year.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like ice cubes in my red wine. 
    No you don't. That's crazy talk. Please don't tell us that you also refrigerate your red wines!
    You are actually supposed to chill your red in a fridge before opening. 
    It seems that you are correct: https://vinepair.com/wine-101/right-temperature-serve-every-type-wine/

(Although my father-in-law, who was born in rural Italy, would disagree.)

What kind of refrigerators do these people have, that they suggest putting a bottle in an hour before serving to get it to a temperature of 60-70oF?? And what temperature are they keeping their houses at?

I keep my place below 20oC anyway, so my "room temperature" is the correct room temperature. 
    Yeah, that seems like way too long. I've always heard that you should put reds in the fridge for only 10 - 15 minutes at the most. And that you should take white out and let it stand in room temperature for 10 minutes before serving too, but I think that's dumb just because I prefer it ice cold. But I do understand how something being super cold can kind of mask the full flavour of it. I just don't care, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mcgruff10 said:
    It is go time. 

Okay, that is an EXCESSIVE amount of ice dude. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wish Ed would stop playing the beginning of porch on guitar.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    And one more thing, to say you don’t care for a song is way different than making a personal attack on someone’s ability, look or personality. I’ve seen all of that done here. 
    Well I don’t agree with that stuff either but I’m not going to act like a child and tell them not to renew because they said something I disagreed with. I’m sure you knew very well by clicking on this thread that you would probably read things that you didn’t agree with- but you clicked anyway. 
    Of course I knew there would be stuff I don’t agree with.  

I’ll rephrase. Please by all means renew, buy tickets, merchandise and put stickers and patches all over yourself and your belongs to advertise the band. Just don’t post. Thank you. 

Loved the band since day one, hated their ticket policies since day one.I will post about that at least a hundred times next year. Enjoy!
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It is go time. 

Okay, that is an EXCESSIVE amount of ice dude. :lol:
    Lol. I was making a joke.  I didn’t even open the bottle. 
  • Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    I still love listening to my PJ edition Pono Player!  It sounds awesome whether blasting PJ tunes on my home stereo or hooked up to my Sennheiser headphones in full balanced mode.  With the expandable micro sd card, I've been able to store all my music library and still have room to grow- over 13,000 (mostly FLAC) tracks so far.  I listen to the player every day, in shuffle mode most of the time.  I know that Pono has not been liked by some, and it's a bummer that they stopped making them, but I would probably would be lost without mine  :)
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    So this is just the General Unpopular Opinions thread and not just the Unpopular PJ Opinions thread now?

edited November 2018
    Fixer13 said:
    I still love listening to my PJ edition Pono Player!  It sounds awesome whether blasting PJ tunes on my home stereo or hooked up to my Sennheiser headphones in full balanced mode.  With the expandable micro sd card, I've been able to store all my music library and still have room to grow- over 13,000 (mostly FLAC) tracks so far.  I listen to the player every day, in shuffle mode most of the time.  I know that Pono has not been liked by some, and it's a bummer that they stopped making them, but I would probably would be lost without mine  :)
    I forgot all about these. Poor Neil, lol. I'm glad to hear at least someone is still enjoying it though. I think the big mistake with these was the stupid shape. Nobody's walking around with that thing in their pocket FFS, and that's what people want to do with such a device.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    So this is just the General Unpopular Opinions thread and not just the Unpopular PJ Opinions thread now?

I kinda think we should just stick to Pearl Jam.
  • rummy said:

Yup. A similar thread in AET that focuses on things in general would be pretty solid.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Boston shows were better than the Chicago shows this year, was at neither, only judging by the bootlegs.

Missoula was the bands best performance musically, definitely tight, minus Ed messing up Pilate like every other time he sings it. 

• DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    I’m all about PJ shifting focus from playing in arenas and stadiums to playing in studios and giving us recordings we can all live out our lives listening to.
    I've never been a fan of eating turkey on Thanksgiving.  I love all the apps, sides and desserts but I have always thought the turkey was the weak point of the meal.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mcgruff10 said:
    I've never been a fan of eating turkey on Thanksgiving.  I love all the apps, sides and desserts but I have always thought the turkey was the weak point of the meal.  
    Take it back.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    mcgruff10 said:
    Take it back.

Even the dog knew that was a bad idea.

"Nope. I'm outta here."
    mcgruff10 said:
    Take it back.

That's awesome!  One of these days I am going to have to finally try fried turkey.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Hobbes said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Take it back.

Even the dog knew that was a bad idea.

"Nope. I'm outta here."
    I figured the dog just knew that a grown man wearing a sweatpants-suit was just a bad idea.  On further review, the turkey fire was a factor as well, I agree.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    JimmyV said:

Tool and Radiohead brought creative genre stretching progressive and artistic music in the 90s that has been in very short supply since.

Ignoring the fact its almost been 10000 days since 10000 days.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    edited November 2018
    The band should do an album with only 1 guitar in every song.
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    Stone should write the music for the entire next album with lyrics by Ed and solos by Mike
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Fixer13 said:

love mine too. HD tracks sound so great. I need to find a way to integrate it into my home system.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wish Ed would stop playing the beginning of porch on guitar.
    THANK YOU!
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    rummy said:

My intent in starting the thread was Pearl Jam...but I guess I can't control the tangents. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    edited November 2018
    OnWis97 said:
    rummy said:

My intent in starting the thread was Pearl Jam...but I guess I can't control the tangents. 
    Pearl Jam. It's a gateway drug.
    Post edited by JimmyV on