Is technology taking over our lives?!?

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Technology has not made life easier.  Went to book an appointment for car maintenance at a dealership.  10 minutes later the lady is still pecking at the computer imputing a data ... fuck that, I now go to a small garage where he just jots down my name and issue in under 10 seconds.
    Why didn't you book it online?  The issue ain't technology, it's the people trying to use it
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I just ordered a copy of this book:

Looking forward to reading Dilworth's premise that our cleverness- including ability to create all this technology- is also our undoing.  The basic synopsis:

We are destroying our natural environment at a constantly increasing pace, and in so doing undermining the preconditions of our own existence. Why is this so? This book reveals that our ecologically disruptive behavior is in fact rooted in our very nature as a species.
    Drawing on evolution theory, biology, anthropology, archaeology, economics, environmental science and history, this book explains the ecological predicament of humankind by placing it in the context of the first scientific theory of our species' development, taking over where Darwin left off.
    The theory presented is applied in detail to the whole of our seven-million-year history. Due to its comprehensiveness, and in part thanks to its extensive glossary and index, this book can function as a compact encyclopedia covering the whole development of Homo sapiens. It would also suit a variety of courses in the life and social sciences. Most importantly, Too Smart makes evident the very core of the paradigm to which our species must shift if it is to survive.
    Anyone concerned about the future of humankind should read this ground-breaking work.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Technology has not made life easier.  Went to book an appointment for car maintenance at a dealership.  10 minutes later the lady is still pecking at the computer imputing a data ... fuck that, I now go to a small garage where he just jots down my name and issue in under 10 seconds.
    That just means they are using technology badly. If there were using it properly, it would have taken 10 seconds.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I wanted to revise this thread as Facebook, despite all of their security breaches, STILL want a device that has a camera in your home...
    ummm, no.

Amazon is coming here to NYC.  I've no doubt that they will have drones delivering here in the next five years.

They already have these "mail boxes" throughout where you can order something, get a code and it's delivered there.

I do want automated cars.  That would mean less gridlock and zero liability on insurance.

What say you?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Why didn't you book it online?  The issue ain't technology, it's the people trying to use it
    I've never been to a dealership or garage that books online...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    That just means they are using technology badly. If there were using it properly, it would have taken 10 seconds.
    They can only go as fast as their computer system allows them.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I wanted to revise this thread as Facebook, despite all of their security breaches, STILL want a device that has a camera in your home...
    ummm, no.

Amazon is coming here to NYC.  I've no doubt that they will have drones delivering here in the next five years.

They already have these "mail boxes" throughout where you can order something, get a code and it's delivered there.

I do want automated cars.  That would mean less gridlock and zero liability on insurance.

What say you?
    No interest in self-driving cars.  I like driving myself.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    They can only go as fast as their computer system allows them.
    That's what I meant. The company is using technology badly. Bad and ineffective software and/or hardware. That is 100% their fault.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Fuck online i say
    I like doing things in person. A real voice or person
     The human element suits me
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I wanted to revise this thread as Facebook, despite all of their security breaches, STILL want a device that has a camera in your home...
    ummm, no.

What say you?

To each point I say:
    Facebook:  Hard to avoid, so use it quickly then get out.
    Cameras in the home:  No need, I have eyes and the neighbors have eyes.
    Amazon:  Fuck amazon.
    Automated cars:  No thanks!

So to summarize:  Facebook, cameras, Amazon, automated cars...?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    ummm, no.

What say you?
    I’m headed the other way in my retirement I’m moving out to Oregon to cabin style home , no gadgets at all I only own a cell phone and that’s all I’ll 
    have ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol
    Alexa? You really bumped your head
    brianlux said:
    ummm, no.

What say you?

To each point I say:
    Facebook:  Hard to avoid, so use it quickly then get out.
    Cameras in the home:  No need, I have eyes and the neighbors have eyes.
    Amazon:  Fuck amazon.
    Automated cars:  No thanks!

So to summarize:  Facebook, cameras, Amazon, automated cars...?

Lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited November 2018
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol
    I have been able to interact/meet with musicians/bands I love and admire through the advent of social media, so there's that. And also with other fans of bands that don't have message boards (see: all canadian bands)

I used to be a facebook exclusive user. I find it must be struggling to keep its users, as it is turning into myspace with all of the ads and promoted posts. it's basically scrolling through 5 ads for every post you want to see. Twitter has started doing promoted shit too, but not nearly as much as facebook. 

it's always interesting to me when someone laughs at social media when this message board is pretty much the same damn thing, and those same people spend more time on here than most do on facebook or twitter. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol
    I have been able to interact/meet with musicians/bands I love and admire through the advent of social media, so there's that. And also with other fans of bands that don't have message boards (see: all canadian bands)

I used to be a facebook exclusive user. I find it must be struggling to keep its users, as it is turning into myspace with all of the ads and promoted posts. it's basically scrolling through 5 ads for every post you want to see. Twitter has started doing promoted shit too, but not nearly as much as facebook. 

it's always interesting to me when someone laughs at social media when this message board is pretty much the same damn thing, and those same people spend more time on here than most do on facebook or twitter. 

I'm considering joining twitter, both because some of the twitter threads I've read through here have been amusing, and also because I've read that many companies give far better service when customers tweet at them compared to when they try to call or even deal with them in person (airlines, I'm looking at you). 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol

I'm considering joining twitter, both because some of the twitter threads I've read through here have been amusing, and also because I've read that many companies give far better service when customers tweet at them compared to when they try to call or even deal with them in person (airlines, I'm looking at you). 
    it can be a cesspool of negativity though, so I've learned to stop following certain people (Trump, and the celebrities who are obsessed with him), and there's also a function where you can "mute" certain words or phrases, so even if you follow someone, if they post something you don't want to see, you won't see it. At least that's what I've heard about that function. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol

it can be a cesspool of negativity though, so I've learned to stop following certain people (Trump, and the celebrities who are obsessed with him), and there's also a function where you can "mute" certain words or phrases, so even if you follow someone, if they post something you don't want to see, you won't see it. At least that's what I've heard about that function. 
    Oh, no way am I going to be following trump. I’ve got no interest in contributing in any way to his narcissism. 

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol

Social media is a cesspool and is having a negative impact on society and people in my opinion... this place is fun for me, and is far from a cesspool
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol

Social media is a cesspool and is having a negative impact on society and people in my opinion... this place is fun for me, and is far from a cesspool
    And thus, not all social media is a cesspool. 
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol

it's only a cesspool if you allow it to be. mute the people/topics you don't want to hear/read about, don't follow the negativity, and it can be incredibly useful and positive. 

it's no different than any other media. and yes, I know your opinion on that as well. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol

And thus, not all social media is a cesspool. 
    exactly. this place actually can be, but people learn to stay away from the topics and/or posters that they want to avoid. no different than any other form of social media. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2018
    The answer to this is obviously yes, but I can absolutely state with complete confidence that technology has also improved my life, as well as the life of many, many, many others. They ways it has improved by life are piddling - really just a matter of convenience and entertainment. But the ways it has improved the lives of some is incredibly profound.
    I'm still very willing to look at all the ways it has done harm as well though. And there are a lot of ways it's done that. Sometimes profound harm.
  • my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol

I do agree
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol

I tried Twitter for a while.  My experience with Twitter? 
    Otto knows...

edited November 2018
    I have a Twitter account, but I very rarely open the app. Once in a while I retweet a tweet that I see in an article, and that's it. I find it hard to follow. I much prefer facebook. There is just so much more content there, and the comment sections are much easier to follow.
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    Facebook? Lol
    Twitter? Lol
    Instagram? Lol
    Snapchat? Lol

I tried Twitter for a while.  My experience with Twitter? 
    Otto knows...

LOL.  How do you really feel? 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have a Twitter account, but I very rarely open the app. Once in a while I retweet a tweet that I see in an article, and that's it. I find it hard to follow. I much prefer facebook. There is just so much more content there, and the comment sections are much easier to follow.
    That's all I have is Facebook.  All relatives except for a few of my high school buddies.  My friend's list is pathetic.  LOL.  My cousin has 5000 friends. that's too many names to learn...LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_Soul said:
    That's all I have is Facebook.  All relatives except for a few of my high school buddies.  My friend's list is pathetic.  LOL.  My cousin has 5000 friends. that's too many names to learn...LOL
    Measuring your "friends list" in numbers is silly.  That's myspace Tila Tequila stuff...

I have 250 and with the FB biorhythm feed I only see a dozen at a time...  Stupes...
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Measuring your "friends list" in numbers is silly.  That's myspace Tila Tequila stuff...

I have 250 and with the FB biorhythm feed I only see a dozen at a time...  Stupes...
    I don't even know at least half of my "friends" (and I think I don't even have 200 of them all together). I unfriended all my high school classmates long ago. Many of my FB friends are simply random people from the special interest closed groups I belong to who tend to post good stuff.