Dinosaur Jr. + J Mascis

Comments

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    mr bungle said:
    Wow!!! Funny you guys mention how fucking loud they are. I saw them in 94 at a small club in Seattle and my ears were ringing for three days!  I've been using cotton balls or ear plugs at shows ever since.
    A cool thing about that show..  while we are waiting in line to get in,  Dave A. drops J. off right at the front fucking door and he just walks on in.. pretty cool.  The club was DV8 if anyone remembers that one?

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    mr bungle said:
    mr bungle said:
    Wow!!! Funny you guys mention how fucking loud they are. I saw them in 94 at a small club in Seattle and my ears were ringing for three days!  I've been using cotton balls or ear plugs at shows ever since.
    A cool thing about that show..  while we are waiting in line to get in,  Dave A. drops J. off right at the front fucking door and he just walks on in.. pretty cool.  The club was DV8 if anyone remembers that one?

That's awesome. 

We got to the venue really early last week. Before and after sound check (which was very loud), J was just walking around the place. It was pretty cool. 

He seems pretty down to earth. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    just found this on youtube.

wife out of town + 60” TV + beer = go time!

https://youtu.be/l4COP_xo2ts
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Nice! ^^^

This is a crappy photo from Grand Rapids last week:

It was right before sound check and that wall of amps and cabinets behind J is the reason people have ringing ears for days after their shows.
    dudeman said:
    Nice! ^^^

This is a crappy photo from Grand Rapids last week:

It was right before sound check and that wall of amps and cabinets behind J is the reason people have ringing ears for days after their shows.

and J stands about two feet in front of them! :tired_face:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    He also has a Fender Twin Reverb in front of him,  near head level, pointed at his face. I never noticed it before that show. 

It's a good thing he wears earplugs. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Wobbie said:

I have that on DVD. Great show.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • satansbed94satansbed94 Montreal Posts: 349
    Ok, you guys got me intrigued.  Where should I start ?
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    It doesn’t really matter as they’re all good albums, but maybe start with Bug and work forward..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    Where You Been,  Hand It Over and Farm are all great front to back. 

I'd start with those as they are the most accessible, IMO. The early stuff was really ugly. It's awesome but it turned a few of my friends off of them. 

Farm.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Wobbie said:

I have that on DVD. Great show.
    For sure, great DVD!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

dudeman said:
    Where You Been,  Hand It Over and Farm are all great front to back. 

I'd start with those as they are the most accessible, IMO. The early stuff was really ugly. It's awesome but it turned a few of my friends off of them. 

Wobbie said:

Farm.
    Hand it Over and Farm.  Yes and yes. 

I think the BBC Sessions are pretty accessible as well even though J's screechy feedback on track one tends to make me jam down the volume most of the time.

Agreed also that  I wouldn't start with the first/self titled or Living All Over Me but, despite a few that get passes quite often for me, both have some really great, crazy insanely creative songs on them.

If I had to list an all-time favorite, I'm with Rob:  Farm. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    One for you @brianlux - Ear Bleeding Country is finally getting a vinyl release! 

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/dinosaur-jr-ear-bleeding-country-the-best-of-double-white-vinyl-limited-deluxe-edition/

DINOSAUR JR. need no introduction. One of the most successful and influential alternative guitar bands from America, and fronted by laconic singer/guitarist J. Mascis, they’ve enjoyed global success and inspired generations, from Grunge onwards.

First issued in 2002 only in the States and Australia, EAR BLEEDING COUNTRY is the only career-spanning compilation of Dinosaur Jr. This is the first time this album has been made available on vinyl!

The first six tracks are drawn from the band’s early career in the 1980s, when they recorded for independent labels like Homestead and SST. Among them are the classic single ‘Freak Scene’ and the follow-up cover of The Cure’s ‘Just Like Heaven’.

Most of the compilation samples the best of Dinosaur Jr.’s output after signing with Warner Bros in 1990, including hit singles such as ‘The Wagon’, ‘Whatever’s Cool With Me’, ‘Out There’, ‘Start Choppin’ and ‘Feel The Pain’.

Ear Bleeding Country ends with ‘Where’d You Go’, a track by J. Mascis’ post-Dinosaur Jr. band The Fog.

This deluxe WHITE VINYL edition (double LP with gatefold sleeve and printed inner sleeves!) has been remastered and includes original sleeve-notes by Byron Coley and a new introductory essay from Dinosaur Jr. fan Henry Rollins!

Also available on 2-CD with a bonus disc of extra material bringing the story up to date in 2018!

CHERRY RED EXCLUSIVE: One lucky customer who orders this vinyl edition from our website will be randomly selected to receive an ultra-rare vinyl test pressing of the release!!

DISC ONE – SIDE ONE

1. REPULSION
    2. LITTLE FURY THINGS
    3. IN A JAR
    4. FREAK SCENE
    5. BUDGE

DISC ONE – SIDE TWO

1. JUST LIKE HEAVEN
    2. THE WAGON
    3. THUMB
    4. WHATEVER’S COOL WITH ME
    5. NOT YOU AGAIN

DISC TWO – SIDE ONE

1. OUT THERE
    2. START CHOPPIN’
    3. GET ME
    4. FEEL THE PAIN

DISC TWO – SIDE TWO

1. I DON’T THINK SO
    2. TAKE A RUN AT THE SUN
    3. NOTHIN’S GOIN’ ON
    4. I’M INSANE
    5. WHERE’D YOU GO – J. Mascis & The Fog

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Track list for the expanded 2-CD release:

DISC ONE:
    1. REPULSION
    2. LITTLE FURY THINGS
    3. INAJAR
    4. FREAK SCENE
    5. BUDGE
    6. JUST LIKE HEAVEN
    7. THE WAGON
    8. THUMB
    9. WHA TEVER'S COOL WITH ME
    10. NOT YOU AGAIN
    11. OUT THERE
    12. START CHOPPIN’
    13. GET ME
    14. FEEL THE PAIN
    15. I DON'T THINK SO
    16. TAKE A RUN AT THE SUN
    17. NOTHIN'S GOIN' ON
    18. I'M INSANE
    19. WHERE'D YOU GO - J. Mascis & The Fog

DISC TWO:
    1. FORGET THE SWAN
    2. THE LUNG
    3. CHUNKS
    4. HOW'D YOU PIN THAT ONE ON ME 
    5. TURNIP FARM
    6. SIDEWAYS
    7. QUICKSAND (Wagon Reprise) 
    8. KEEBLIN’
    9. OVER YOUR SHOULDER
    10. BLAH
    11. I KNOW YER INSANE
    12. CAN’T WE MOVE THIS
    13. FREEDOM - J Mascis & The Fog 
    14. BACK TO YOUR HEART
    15. YER SON
    16. PIECES
    17. WATCH THE CORNERS
    18. LOVE IS
    19. HOLD UNKNOWN

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    One for you @brianlux - Ear Bleeding Country is finally getting a vinyl release! 

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/dinosaur-jr-ear-bleeding-country-the-best-of-double-white-vinyl-limited-deluxe-edition/

DINOSAUR JR. need no introduction. One of the most successful and influential alternative guitar bands from America, and fronted by laconic singer/guitarist J. Mascis, they’ve enjoyed global success and inspired generations, from Grunge onwards.

First issued in 2002 only in the States and Australia, EAR BLEEDING COUNTRY is the only career-spanning compilation of Dinosaur Jr. This is the first time this album has been made available on vinyl!

The first six tracks are drawn from the band’s early career in the 1980s, when they recorded for independent labels like Homestead and SST. Among them are the classic single ‘Freak Scene’ and the follow-up cover of The Cure’s ‘Just Like Heaven’.

Most of the compilation samples the best of Dinosaur Jr.’s output after signing with Warner Bros in 1990, including hit singles such as ‘The Wagon’, ‘Whatever’s Cool With Me’, ‘Out There’, ‘Start Choppin’ and ‘Feel The Pain’.

Ear Bleeding Country ends with ‘Where’d You Go’, a track by J. Mascis’ post-Dinosaur Jr. band The Fog.

This deluxe WHITE VINYL edition (double LP with gatefold sleeve and printed inner sleeves!) has been remastered and includes original sleeve-notes by Byron Coley and a new introductory essay from Dinosaur Jr. fan Henry Rollins!

Also available on 2-CD with a bonus disc of extra material bringing the story up to date in 2018!

CHERRY RED EXCLUSIVE: One lucky customer who orders this vinyl edition from our website will be randomly selected to receive an ultra-rare vinyl test pressing of the release!!

DISC ONE – SIDE ONE

1. REPULSION
    2. LITTLE FURY THINGS
    3. IN A JAR
    4. FREAK SCENE
    5. BUDGE

DISC ONE – SIDE TWO

1. JUST LIKE HEAVEN
    2. THE WAGON
    3. THUMB
    4. WHATEVER’S COOL WITH ME
    5. NOT YOU AGAIN

DISC TWO – SIDE ONE

1. OUT THERE
    2. START CHOPPIN’
    3. GET ME
    4. FEEL THE PAIN

DISC TWO – SIDE TWO

1. I DON’T THINK SO
    2. TAKE A RUN AT THE SUN
    3. NOTHIN’S GOIN’ ON
    4. I’M INSANE
    5. WHERE’D YOU GO – J. Mascis & The Fog

Ordered!  Whoo Hoo!  Thank you Goldrush!!! 

New J Masics solo album out on November 9th. Solo tour as well!

http://www.jmascis.com
    YES!!!  Pre-ordered!

Thanks for the heads up, dudeman!

Sure thing!

It sounds like the new album is going to be pretty heavy on the drums. J had recently gotten a new kit and was itching to play.

Can't wait to hear this one!
    dudeman said:
    Sure thing!

It sounds like the new album is going to be pretty heavy on the drums. J had recently gotten a new kit and was itching to play.

Can't wait to hear this one!
    Awesome! 

• sp1984sp1984 New Hampshire Posts: 140
    mr bungle said:
    mr bungle said:

When he opened for the Foos earlier this summer at Fenway, we saw him just walking around the field (behind the C Sections) before the show. Same when he played with PJ in 2016. He's so distinctive looking that he's easy to spot if you're looking. 
    Tampa 04/16
    Fenway 1 08/16
    Fenway 2 08/16
    Fenway 1 09/18
    Fenway 2 09/18
    PJ songs at our wedding: Love Reign O'er Me (1st dance); Sirens (last dance); Long Road (Momma-Son dance). 
    The last two Dinosaur Jr. shows I saw J was walking around in the crowd before the show. He came out and sat in a seat with everyone else to watch the opening act in Detroit a couple weeks ago. 

Interestingly, I didn't see anyone approach him or try to talk to him.

I'm going to see them again on Saturday. I'm curious to see if he'll be milling around the crowd again.
    dudeman said:
    The last two Dinosaur Jr. shows I saw J was walking around in the crowd before the show. He came out and sat in a seat with everyone else to watch the opening act in Detroit a couple weeks ago. 

Interestingly, I didn't see anyone approach him or try to talk to him.

maybe no one recognized him... :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Well, he does blend in with the typical Dinosaur Jr fan.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    I saw him on his previous solo tour at a small place.  Someone came up to him after the show and asked if he could sign some box set or something (not sure what it was), and he said no.  I had wanted to ask if he would sign my ticket, but after that, I was a little afraid, lol.
    He was super laid back, and I walked out of the venue with him and just shot the shit about where he was going next.

I keep watching the mail knowing darned well this things not gonna show up for a while, lol!

Meanwhile, this just arrived to keep me happy until J's album comes out:

brianlux said:
    I keep watching the mail knowing darned well this things not gonna show up for a while, lol!

Nice, Brian!

Speaking of meeting J, Lou is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. I’ve met him a few times at Sebadoh gigs (he usually works the merch desk with Jason) and he is always happy to chat to everyone and sign stuff.

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

Nice, Brian!

Speaking of meeting J, Lou is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. I’ve met him a few times at Sebadoh gigs (he usually works the merch desk with Jason) and he is always happy to chat to everyone and sign stuff.
    How cool that you got to meet Lou!  I can picture him being a really good guy!

edited September 2018
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

Nice, Brian!

When I saw Dinosaur Jr in Sydney in 07, Lou was the support act. He played a 45 minute acoustic set that was really cool and intimate. We were on the rail for that part and he was really chatty and telling stories between songs. It was hard to believe that was the same guy that was pounding his bass to death during the Dino set!

I saw Sebadoh in the same venue a couple of years later and got talking to Lou. I reminded him of his acoustic set and he actually mentioned it during the show. Jason just laughed and said "Why would you do that? And how the hell did you convince J it was a good idea?!"

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

Nice, Brian!

When I saw Dinosaur Jr in Sydney in 07, Lou was the support act. He played a 45 minute acoustic set that was really cool and intimate. We were on the rail for that part and he was really chatty and telling stories between songs. It was hard to believe that was the same guy that was pounding his bass to death during the Dino set!

I saw Sebadoh in the same venue a couple of years later and got talking to Lou. I reminded him of his acoustic set and he actually mentioned it during the show. Jason just laughed and said "Why would you do that? And how the hell did you convince J it was a good idea?!"

Cool stories!