*** Boston, MA Fanviews Here 9/4/18 ***

Comments

• edited September 2018
    I was in B94 last night.  B97 on night one.  Sound was not good.  I heard people that were further up (row TT and higher) that it was really bad under the overhang.

I'm sure it sounded better on the floor and in the center but on my side it was muffled....not very loud and not very clear.

I didn't have that complaint at Wrigley with similar seating.
    I was on the field night 1, and in section 94 last night. Sound was bad in both places - it felt like Eddie, Matt, and Jeff were turned up high, but Mike and Stone were coming in and out at different times. The shows were awesome, but the sound was so much better in 2016. Not sure what they changed...
    Pearl Jam: 9/4/00 7/1/03 5/30/06 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 8/23/09 8/24/09 10/28/09 10/31/09 5/20/10 10/15/13 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18 9/5/23 9/7/23

Eddie Vedder: 6/15/09 6/16/11
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    edited September 2018
    I was in B94 last night.  B97 on night one.  Sound was not good.  I heard people that were further up (row TT and higher) that it was really bad under the overhang.

I'm sure it sounded better on the floor and in the center but on my side it was muffled....not very loud and not very clear.

I didn't have that complaint at Wrigley with similar seating.
    I was on the field night 1, and in section 94 last night. Sound was bad in both places - it felt like Eddie, Matt, and Jeff were turned up high, but Mike and Stone were coming in and out at different times. The shows were awesome, but the sound was so much better in 2016. Not sure what they changed...
    Agreed. 
    I saw Foo Fighters at Fenway twice, once this year & once 3 years ago, the sound was infinitely better at those too. 

I’m surprised at how bad it was for BOTH Pearl Jam shows. 
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    Can some please, for the love of god, post a video of immortality??? 
  • KC2917 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgWFViZUCMU
    Pearl Jam: 9/4/00 7/1/03 5/30/06 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 8/23/09 8/24/09 10/28/09 10/31/09 5/20/10 10/15/13 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18 9/5/23 9/7/23

Eddie Vedder: 6/15/09 6/16/11
  • Trading StoriesTrading Stories Boston Posts: 84
    Listen i have been to 20+ shows maybe 25 or so. I have never met a die hard PJ Fan that was not a good person. The band is truly uplifting and hard working. So many rarities and nuggets that only a PJ fan would understand. I am happy to be part of the club. It’s a secret society of good individuals. It is truly awe inspiring. 
    Hartford 9/13/98, Montreal 6/29/03, Mansfield 7/2/03 7/3/03 7/11/03, Boston 9/28/04, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08 6/30/08, Chicago 8/24/09, Boston 5/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11 9/4/11, Worcester 10/15 10/16, Hartford 10/25 Fenway 1&2 EV - Boston 8/1 8/2, Albany 8/6
  • anez_98anez_98 Posts: 158
    was row 2 (thanks, 10 club!) and couldn't believe the experience. amazing what all of those guys (especially) ed put into the shows. Just an incredible night and the sounds was perfect where I was standing. incredible show. sad this run is over. the band has been on fire!
  • Went to both nights and felt the crowd and energy was much better Tuesday night. Kind of hope next time around will be back to the Garden or DCU rather than Fenway. Been to 3 shows there and it’s played out for me. Of course I’ll be back if they play Fenway lol, I’m just hoping for the more “intimate” arena setting as opposed to a baseball stadium. On another note here’s a pic of the night’s set list taken by a member of the Fenway security staff.

• luckily i went to both shows. n1 made me happy, n2 made me ecstatic. the band, the crowd and fenway were awesome!  i havent seen anyone mention arms aloft, damn that song kicked ass!
  • Fun show last night.  I think Arms Aloft is an excellent song, and I look forward to hearing it each time it's played.  It was a highlight for me.  I'm not sure why some people feel it affects the momentum of the show, I guess it's individual taste.  I just wish they had kept the original lyrics and not changed "Aberdeen" to "Fenway Park."
    Couldn’t agree more
    i was the only one in my section, g7, who knew the song lol. people told my wife they enjoyed the song just because i was so happy hearing it
  • SR272551SR272551 Northern NJ Posts: 25
    We were in B97 N2 & B79 N1. Sound was way better in B97.  Also, most of the three or four rows (HH) near us were also in B79 N1, so that was fun. Shout out to B79 (N1) & B97 (N2), I though we had an awesome section both nights!  Lauren & Mike, Brad, Clarissa & Brett, John & Erica, The Chads, the three giants in front of us on N1.  I'm the lady w/ the black & grey Riot Act & skull sleeve that was in all black & my husband was the tall guy with the camera.  We had a great time for the most part, singing our hearts out! I loved every second of N2, I got Red Mosquito, U, Immorality II.  I love the Modern Girl tag too, so that is always fantastic to hear.  The Save it for Later one makes me happy too. I am Mine is always great to hear live.  Smile this time I think was better than in Barcelona. Jeff really wailed & got down, I loved it! Hearing Comatose was great, Save You, N2 just had a lot of songs I really really love. I was also surprised at the CDM hate.  What is it that people don't like? Honest question, I think it sounds great live! 
    I really have zero complaints for either night, they were both amazing, for different reasons.  I cannot wait for these bootlegs! I was in Barcelona & Seattle for N2, but the Fenway shows are 'local' for me & always a bit special. This year even more so.  I think they're my favorites of this year's shows, even though all 4 were fanfuckingtastic. 
    It was awesome to meet so many people at the Wishlist Preparty! From fan generosity, they were able to raise $20k for local charities.  Feels awesome to have been a part of that & meet so many involved in organizing & volunteering.  It truly is amazing what we can do together. See you all next tour!  
    M.Y.T.H. is
    Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear
    2008 Manchester TN
    2010 Newark, NJ
    2010 New York, NY
    2012 Atlanta, GA
    2013 Chicago, IL
    2013 Brooklyn, NY
    2015 Central Park, NYC
    2016 New York, NY
    2016 Boston, MA
    2017 EV Louisville, KY
    2018 Barcelona Spain
    2018 Seattle, WA
    2018 Boston, MA
  • So this is the first chance I’ve gotten to post about last night’s show. We drove home to NY after and got home at 4AM. Had to be at my daughters school sat 8. EPIC. Totally worth every ache and pain. The band was on fire, crowd was amazing, they just fucking killed it. Night 1 was great, night 2 was ridiculous. Up there in my top 3 with nights 2 and 3 of the experiment in ‘03. Ed was bawling, Thumbing my Way had me bawling. Imagine was picture perfect and as on and as powerful as I’ve EVER heard Ed sing. Too many other things to mention or remember. But I know what this year’s free download for me will be.
    This band never stops amazing me...
    I’m going down the PJ youtube rabbit hole from the shws
    Hartford 9/13/98, Montreal 6/29/03, Mansfield 7/2/03 7/3/03 7/11/03, Boston 9/28/04, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08 6/30/08, Chicago 8/24/09, Boston 5/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11 9/4/11, Worcester 10/15 10/16, Hartford 10/25 Fenway 1&2 EV - Boston 8/1 8/2, Albany 8/6
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I noticed that Mike was wearing the same Aerosmith shirt Tues night (same as Saturday). I wondered if that might mean a DVD or something. 

The house of blues video was awesome. Would be cool to be able to access those  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 188
    Amazing.  Simply amazing.  I still can’t figure out if night 1 or night 2 was better.
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• 24 hours later and I am still stunned.  What an incredible show.
  • I noticed that Mike was wearing the same Aerosmith shirt Tues night (same as Saturday). I wondered if that might mean a DVD or something. 

I think Mike is trying to tell something to the folks dissing Aerosmith on the ‘Best American Rock Band’ post in The Porch. 
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • I went to both nights. Shows 22 and 23 for me. These were my first stadium shows, and although you can’t have a bad time at a PJ show, I’m not a fan. I only came to these because the guys didn’t give us any choice this year. But the sound was bad. I was in F58 or 59 on N1 (sound was muffled) and B150-some N2 (sound was muddy, and the echo was driving me insane). It was so hot, and I don’t do well in the heat, even though I grew up in Texas. I had to leave early N2 because I couldn’t stand the heat anymore. We stood outside and listened to a few songs and left when Alive started. And I couldn’t see anything, especially on N1, when I was so far away. My 45-year-old eyes couldn’t even make out what was on the screens. My husband pointed out that PJ just isn’t set up for stadium shows. He saw U2 last year or the year before (whenever they did the Joshua Tree tour) at a college football stadium. Said they had huge screens and a long platform so Bono could walk out into the crowd so everyone could see him, even people in the cheap seats. I’ve never been to a Foo Fighters show, but I’ve seen pictures and they have a similar setup for stadiums. PJ just sets up their arena sets in a stadium, and the only people who can see them are the folks in front. They need bigger screens at the very least. 

All that said, I mostly had a good time, because I love going to see this band, and we always meet some great people. I don’t have any complaints about the set lists. I think there were only a handful of songs I haven’t heard before, but the band had great energy, and that translates to a great show. These weren’t my favorite shows of these ones I’ve seen, but I’m a happy fan. And I’ll be there next tour, as long as they go back to playing in arenas. If not, I’ll be watching through periscope from my air conditioned house while someone else sweats their ass off.
  • It was a great five days in Boston/Cambridge and well worth the trip from Philly (as always) for these two shows.  Fenway is so iconic and a damn near perfect setting for a stadium show. I was in sections B6 and B8 down the right field line and just a few rows off the field. Superb and similar vantage points, and I have no complaints with the sound either night. 

I'm a fan of seeing both nights when they do these two nights stands for obvious reasons. The varied sets they make the effort to play is something I'll never take for granted.  I'll be contrarian here and say show #1 was better in terms of setlist, effectiveness of song sequence, and overall vibe.  Just my opinion.  The crowd near me was into it and ramped up both nights.  The weather on Sunday kicked ass too with the lower temps and lower humidity compared to the tropical sweatfest of Tuesday night.  I certainly had more energy and was more fired up on Sunday.  Yes, weather is a factor sometimes!  And that setlist for show #1 just worked for me on every level. Outstanding. I thought show 2 had a more measured vibe and wasn't quite as intense. Or maybe that was just my vibe last night after reading so many opposite opinions!  Anyway, the two shows complemented each other well (as usual). On a final note, bringing out Bill Janovitz of Buffalo Tom both nights was beyond awesome (do yourself a favor and get BT's 1993 Big Red Letter Day....listened to it on the flight home). 

Thank you Pearl Jam. Thank you 10C. Can't wait to hear a new album soon and hopefully do another round of shows in 2019. I'm up to at least 30-35 shows after hitting London and these two Boston shows this summer.  Look forward to adding to the tally. 
  • Darn good shows. Random ramblings:

First off.... fuck Ed for teasing Dirty Frank that long and then smirking and shaking his head “no no” when they stopped. I honestly thought it was happening. 

No idea who Buffalo Tom was, and didn’t need two nights of the same song when most people had no idea who he was. Although the song was good. 

Ed seemed to ramble on a lot this weekend... much more than usual. Kinda strange but whatever. 

The repeats and covers are honestly starting to become concerning. There’s no reason to cover and repeat that many songs over a two night span. Especially one where you know most people are hitting both. This is a part where they are really losing their edge over the last few years to me. Starting to debate seeing both nights of a double header out of town for the first time. 

Finally got Thumbing after a goddamn decade and almost 30 shows. 

Lots of Riot Act/Avocado night 2 which I loved. 

Don’t think I’ve ever heard a double Daughter tag. WMA and It’s OK... by far my two favorite tags. 

Not even close.... most badass version of Patriot I’ve ever heard. 

Ed legit cried before Wasted Reprise.... didn’t see that coming. 

And last but not least.... best cities/crowds to see the boys in still remains Philly>NYC>Boston/Chicago>everywhere else. 

Let’s hope for a full tour soon.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    KC2917 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgWFViZUCMU
    Damn. Ask and you shall receive! Thanks!
  • anez_98anez_98 Posts: 158
    This sums up the evening for me. 
    @63shoeffln
    i agree w/ the the dirty frank tease 
    Buffalo Tom’s Bill Janovitz was a great treat for me. They were an alternative band before alternative became mainstream. They’ve done the same w/ Dinosaur Jr at the last fenway shows. It’s an homage to the local scene.  
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sg1rFsrCrZ8 
    Summer song was one of my Jams back in high school. Really a talented band that another time and place would have broke out. 

As far as repeating songs i’ve come to accept that this band has been and will continue to do what it wants. I’m ok with that. I can not complain because i love what they do.

• JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    edited September 2018
    Darn good shows. Random ramblings:

First off.... fuck Ed for teasing Dirty Frank that long and then smirking and shaking his head “no no” when they stopped. I honestly thought it was happening. 

No idea who Buffalo Tom was, and didn’t need two nights of the same song when most people had no idea who he was. Although the song was good. 

Ed seemed to ramble on a lot this weekend... much more than usual. Kinda strange but whatever. 

The repeats and covers are honestly starting to become concerning. There’s no reason to cover and repeat that many songs over a two night span. Especially one where you know most people are hitting both. This is a part where they are really losing their edge over the last few years to me. Starting to debate seeing both nights of a double header out of town for the first time. 

Finally got Thumbing after a goddamn decade and almost 30 shows. 

Lots of Riot Act/Avocado night 2 which I loved. 

Don’t think I’ve ever heard a double Daughter tag. WMA and It’s OK... by far my two favorite tags. 

Not even close.... most badass version of Patriot I’ve ever heard. 

Ed legit cried before Wasted Reprise.... didn’t see that coming. 

And last but not least.... best cities/crowds to see the boys in still remains Philly>NYC>Boston/Chicago>everywhere else. 

Let’s hope for a full tour soon.
    How is 4 repeats over 2 shows a lot for them? You know 3 that are always going  to happen
     (alive , porch and evenflow). You’re good to get like 15-20 unique songs to each show at worst which is basically a set for most bands. Covers are more an issue than repeats imo. 

as far as buffalo tom, it was amazing to see Bill on stage with them. It’s their tribute to Boston. J from Dino jr, Aerosmith in the past. Buffalo tom is a band they never got their due and was great to see. Bill looked so happy. Was happy he came out with them again as I only went to N2.

And we were done dirty by the dirty frank tease. 
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Of the things I could critique about this two night stand, repeating songs doesn’t even come close... they played 61 total songs, and only repeated 5 between the two nights. That’s a pretty good f’ing problem to have. 

They also played a lot of songs they didn’t play the first time they came to Fenway which I’m sure was no accident.  I tip my cap to them for that. 

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited September 2018

They scratched LEATHERMAN... :minus_one:
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • The repeats more in general over the last few years.... not these shows. And I am nitpicking obviously. The covers are higher on my list of minor gripes than anything. I love me some covers, but I think it’s about time to mix it up and/or dial them back a few. 

I have no problem with them bringing the guest out both nights, as I enjoyed it.... but weird that they just didn’t do a different song together night 2. 
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • The repeats more in general over the last few years.... not these shows. And I am nitpicking obviously. The covers are higher on my list of minor gripes than anything. I love me some covers, but I think it’s about time to mix it up and/or dial them back a few. 

I have no problem with them bringing the guest out both nights, as I enjoyed it.... but weird that they just didn’t do a different song together night 2. 
    They definitely have their show staples, for sure. Some are a little more tired than others.

I agree about the covers, I wish they scaled them back & paid more attention to the albums they’re ignoring. According to livefootsteps.org, they dedicated more setlist time in 2018 to cover songs over any album in their catalog with the exception of Ten. http://www.livefootsteps.org/statistics/?y=2018

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    I noticed that Mike was wearing the same Aerosmith shirt Tues night (same as Saturday). I wondered if that might mean a DVD or something. 

He started the Tuesday show with a different Aerosmith shirt (actually tank top) on under his button down shirt, switched into the Rocks t-shirt (like he wore Sunday) for encores.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 253
    Went to both shows (24 and 25 for me) and continue to have the time of my life every time I go.  I will say I enjoyed the setlist itself on Night 1 more than Night 2...this was basically due to Present Tense and Tremor Christ though.  Highlights on Night 2 for me were: Save You, Orpheum lyrics on Immortality, RearviewMirror (always a treat to get Porch and RVM in same set).  Comatose sounded off as it was slowed down...which is odd because 95% of their album songs are sped up live.
    Can't wait for the next show.  I already miss the 4 hour pre-game on Baseball Tavern roof with friends and family.

My rankings for the 4 Fenway shows:
    1. 8-7-16
    2. 9-2-18
    3. 9-4-18
    4. 8-5-16
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • RD81760RD81760 Posts: 122
    I love that both shows were exactly the same length and basically the same start time and the first show got bashed and the second show was amazing...