*** Boston, MA Fanviews Here 9/2/18 ***

Comments

• nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    what a fun show! my 11th. boyfriend's 5th. he's not a huge fan but appreciates their shows. sound was good from loge 108. my section stood the whole time, but not very many people rocking out. i admit i had to sit for a few songs. heat/dehydration was getting to me and my poor bf had a migraine from hell, so i was trying to make sure he was okay too which took my mind away from the show a bit. couple negatives: the lines to get inside were ridiculous (not the bands fault) and i'll reiterate what a lot of people are saying about the start time. we were in our seats at 6:50 so having to wait an hour wasn't fun... but 30 songs and a 2 hr 40 min show is nothing to scoff at.

the band seemed to be having a lot of fun! eddie sounded great and mike was absolutely on fire.

opening with 4 slower songs then going straight into a hard why go was KILLER. i absolutely lost it on release...i was really hoping to hear it as i've been dealing with a lot of mental crap/anxiety so it really was a release for me singing (and crying lol) along to this song. always love hearing given to fly. i have it tattooed on me for a reason. :lol: had to leave to grab water during amongst the waves, which i love, but then getting back in time to hear the WMA tag and it's ok during daughter was wonderful! first time hearing it's ok and loved how loud the singalong was.

that might be the best first encore i've seen. won't back down was INCREDIBLE. crowd was so loud, so amazing to be a part of. present tense > once > SOLAT was insane. then TREMOR CHRIST?! WHAT!!! SO cool to hear that one live. might be the best black i've heard too. mike killed it. then blood? come on... so fucking great. this band is everything.

thanks PJ! see you on tuesday! :rock_on:
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 380
    edited September 2018
    I didnt go to the show but chatted with a 10C member I saw with a new PJ Fenway shirt who went last night.  He said the band started about half an hour late because of a fire situation backtage?  any confirmation of this anywhere else?  Just curious because Im going tomorrow night, wondering about start time.

Post edited by Tremorman on
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Poncier said:

The "fuck" monologue was an old George Carlin routine.

Not exactly the same but definitely seemed like a shout out. I loved how he tied it all up to voting. 
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 204
    Where were the lines to get in super long? We went in Gate B at around 5:30. The line was super long, but it moved really quickly and we were inside in less than 10 minutes. We waited in the merch line for about 45 minutes, so not too bad.

Has anyone seen any of the kids t shirts? They were all out by the time we got up to the front.
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    NDJeff7 said:
    Where were the lines to get in super long? We went in Gate B at around 5:30. The line was super long, but it moved really quickly and we were inside in less than 10 minutes. We waited in the merch line for about 45 minutes, so not too bad.

Has anyone seen any of the kids t shirts? They were all out by the time we got up to the front.
    Lines into D and E were long as fuck. But what Fenway doesn't tell people is those gate designations are just to help traffic flow inside and outside of the venue. You can walk in anywhere. Think my dad and I waited 4 minutes.
  • This is my first ever post in the community.  Last night was my fourth show.  I hadn't seen PJ since 2004.  In the past 14 years I've started a new career, married, and started a family.  I've got three things to say:
    1) The band felt so different to me.  It's difficult to express, but I think it's simply the last time I saw them, they had been at it less than 15 years.  Last night?  Over 25.  I noticed.
    2) Those openers meant the world to me.  I've been super stressed out this past year and to hear those three songs open the show brought tears to my eyes and made me realize that everything's fine.  It's ok.
    3) I'm so thankful to have heard Army Reserve, Tremorchrist, and Out of my Mind in person.  So dope.

Just an amazing show.  I can't wait until tomorrow night.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    At the film now, DTE just ended. It did sound weird last night, but in film sounds great! Wonder if mix in speakers was off depending on where u were sitting?
  • JH6056 said:
    At the film now, DTE just ended. It did sound weird last night, but in film sounds great! Wonder if mix in speakers was off depending on where u were sitting?
    Nope. Was definitely tuned down. That sort of thing sounds the weirdest the first time you hear it, as it is unexpected
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    edited September 2018
    schmately said:
    vedpunk said:
    Enough with the Springsteen 4 hr shows comment.  He’s an anomaly, oldie act and far from a hard rock band that is shredding his vocals on most songs.  Nobody does it like Pearl Jam. Period.

You've never actually been to a Springsteen show, right?
    Been to Springsteen shows and he puts on a great live show.  I didn’t mean to disrespect a legend but I’m just not a huge fan of his style and body of work.  To be honest, most people outside of the Northeast are not big Springsteen fans.  Pearl Jam pulls a much, much wider demographic and geographical reach for a good reason. They rock.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    This is my first ever post in the community.  Last night was my fourth show.  I hadn't seen PJ since 2004.  In the past 14 years I've started a new career, married, and started a family.  I've got three things to say:
    1) The band felt so different to me.  It's difficult to express, but I think it's simply the last time I saw them, they had been at it less than 15 years.  Last night?  Over 25.  I noticed.
    2) Those openers meant the world to me.  I've been super stressed out this past year and to hear those three songs open the show brought tears to my eyes and made me realize that everything's fine.  It's ok.
    3) I'm so thankful to have heard Army Reserve, Tremorchrist, and Out of my Mind in person.  So dope.

Hooooohhh yeah, there is a distinct difference between 2004 and 2018 for anybody, everywhere, including PJ. But yeah I get what you’re saying. 2004 they had more energy. But 1994 they even had more energy! Imagine 1984! :P 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    vedpunk said:
    schmately said:
    vedpunk said:
    Enough with the Springsteen 4 hr shows comment.  He’s an anomaly, oldie act and far from a hard rock band that is shredding his vocals on most songs.  Nobody does it like Pearl Jam. Period.

Been to Springsteen shows and he puts on a great live show.  I didn’t mean to disrespect a legend but I’m just not a huge fan of his style and body of work.  To be honest, most people outside of the Northeast are not big Springsteen fans.  Pearl Jam pulls a much, much wider demographic and geographical reach for a good reason. They rock.
    Yeah, he's barely filling clubs in Europe.  Those full stadiums every year are just reused Trump Inauguration images.  
    edited September 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    vedpunk said:
    schmately said:
    vedpunk said:

Yeah, he's barely filling clubs in Europe.  Those full stadiums every year are just reused Trump Inauguration images.  

mrussel1 said:
    vedpunk said:
    schmately said:
    vedpunk said:

Lots of Springsteen fanboys on the site, love it.  Just prefer a rock band vs an orchestra with a guitar.  For each their own.  
  • PJWGIII said:
    Heavily underrated show IMO.

They pulled out Sometimes to open and then Released.

Tremor Christ, Blood (Exciting Tour Debut!) to finally provide some variation to the first encore closer, Taillights Fade, OUT OF MY MIND!, Army Reserve, etc.

Lots of highlights!
    I keep coming back to this thread to see the "sometimes" posts.  LA Forum 98, and this was the opener, my first show.

This song has a great meaning to me and I'm glad to see the love for it!
  • This is my first ever post in the community.  Last night was my fourth show.  I hadn't seen PJ since 2004.  In the past 14 years I've started a new career, married, and started a family.  I've got three things to say:

coreyg1979  THIS is why we keep coming back!!!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    vedpunk said:
    mrussel1 said:
    vedpunk said:
    schmately said:
    vedpunk said:

mrussel1 said:
    vedpunk said:
    schmately said:
    vedpunk said:

Lots of Springsteen fanboys on the site, love it.  Just prefer a rock band vs an orchestra with a guitar.  For each their own.  
    Has nothing to do with my opinion of his music.  It's factual that he's popular outside the northeast. 

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Army Reserve and Present Tense were off the charts... 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    mrussel1 said:
    vedpunk said:
    mrussel1 said:
    vedpunk said:
    schmately said:
    vedpunk said:

mrussel1 said:
    vedpunk said:
    schmately said:
    vedpunk said:

Has nothing to do with my opinion of his music.  It's factual that he's popular outside the northeast. 

Having lived overseas in Europe and Asia for over 20 years I find this statement really interesting and not entirely accurate.   But I’ll take your word for it man.
  • Bruce is huge in Europe... 
    edited September 2018
    Bruuuuuuuce, doesn’t belong in a PJ forum. Let’s leave him in Jersey. 
  • PDHPDH Posts: 15
    Army Reserve is one of my favorite songs off of my favorite album.  It was muddied in the beginning and lost its punch by the time it got to home plate, and I was disappointed.   Really bummed I missed Life wasted, but had seen it in Philly and NJ a decade ago.  Basically agree with the middling reviews, but overarching negative stems from the crap GS seats.  Not because of the crowd, as I was amazed at the teenagers and septouagherians (?) who knew every word, but baseball stadiums won't host sing-a-longs going forward on my dime 
  • rlafrance63rlafrance63 Boston Posts: 5
    Great to read the “Sea” review to know what the hell was going on tonight. I agree it wasn’t the band’s best performance and the sound was a bit distorted much of the time, and thru most of Ed’s speaking. It was an off night. And a shorter than usual show. I didn’t even catch that it was an encore break. Sorry! I was sitting in the dugout seats and was surprised it just wasn’t as super fantastic as the 2 Fenway 2016 shows. Many thanks for an excellent version of Porch, Present Tense, and a bit of WMA and Waiting on a Friend. 

Lastly, I noticed lots of folks near us spending more time on their phones/social media than digging the music and the fact that Pearl Jam was in the House. With us!! And yes....Brookline is awesome! 
    I really loved last night's show! A lot of my favorites and the first time seeing Tremor Christ and, of course, Out of my Mind!!! We have dugout seats for tomorrow and my husband and I are pretty short 5'4" and 5'6". Do you think that will be an issue with people walking around in front of us? Thanks!
    I am vertically challenged also. No, you won’t have that issue. Enjoy the show! My kids are going tomorrow and I’ll stay home with baby grandson. 
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    edited September 2018
    vedpunk said:
    Bruuuuuuuce, doesn’t belong in a PJ forum. Let’s leave him in Jersey. 
    Just for the record, i’ve seen Bruce on three continents and in over 50 cities. He is much bigger than Pearl Jam and again I say that as someone who has been a member of the 10C going on 25 straight years, likely before you had any clue as to who Pearl Jam was. Bruce sold out almost 50 shows in Australia and New Zealand alone in 2013-2017. His European audience is eclipsed by only the Stones and U2. I was in the front row the night Ed took the E Street Band for a ride (10/13/04), as he put it, and the joy on his face playing one of his songs with the E Streeters was priceless. 
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • I’ll also add that much of Pearl Jam’s ability to sell out these stadium shows is helped tremendously by the fact they are doing so few shows in the US (and also they have an amazing fan base which is willing to travel to these limited big shows). Pearl Jam has not played a show in Los Angeles since 2013 as one example. Bruce does MUCH bigger tours in the US than Pearl Jam and they would draw far less if they did a full complement of shows, especially if they tried to play stadiums. What they have done incredibly well is create these limited number of events that their core audience is willing to travel for. None of that is criticism of Pearl Jam, it’s just reality. 
  • Someone said it earlier in this thread- it just seemed off for this show, especially compared to their last set of Fenway shows. Setlist started great, then was a bit meh. Also, they were done right in the area of 1030, and came out to start pretty late, right in the area of 8:00... seemed like they were going through the motions...
  • G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    locked said:
    Security was checking my digital ticket every ten feet going back to seats from beer line - someone didn’t get the memo - lighten up Francis ! 
    100% Agree. These digital wallet tickets are a pain in the ass. Refreshing my phone and show the display every time I get up for a drink or take a piss. It seems trivial but not convenient in a heavy security venue like friendly Fenway Park.   

Give me a hockey arena and hard tickets any day.  thanks.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    edited September 2018
    I don’t see them returning to arenas anytime soon, at least in the northeast. They would have had to play almost 4 shows at the TD Garden to have sold as many tickets as they did for the 2 nights at Fenway. I would think NYC or Philly would sell out any of their baseball stadiums too. 

As as long as these stadium shows keep selling out, I think they are the new normal (for certain areas)... unfortunately. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    edited September 2018
    Like the everyone else I thought the late start was a bit of a bummer. 2.5 hour show, with some real gems.  The start and then the second encore were my highlights. Definitely felt a bit uninspired at times.  Hearing that tremor christ was worth all the effort and cash it took to make that show happen.
    Setlist shirts today??? Id love an XL if anyone gets an extra :)
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • I've only heard one other show from this year, but was this the first time DTE was played in a lower key? Don't know if that was done to accommodate Ed's voice on this one night or if it's here to stay like that, but I wasn't a fan. 

Fantastic show though. That really was an amazing Black. Mike absolutely killed it. Can't wait for tonight!
  • mkdevo said:
    I've only heard one other show from this year, but was this the first time DTE was played in a lower key? Don't know if that was done to accommodate Ed's voice on this one night or if it's here to stay like that, but I wasn't a fan. 

Fantastic show though. That really was an amazing Black. Mike absolutely killed it. Can't wait for tonight!
    Looked like it was accident to me. Also hi Dave!
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I don’t see them returning to arenas anytime soon, at least in the northeast. They would have had to play almost 4 shows at the TD Garden to have sold as many tickets as they did for the 2 nights at Fenway. I would think NYC or Philly would sell out any of their baseball stadiums too. 

As as long as these stadium shows keep selling out, I think they are the new normal (for certain areas)... unfortunately. 
    As much as I love Fenway Park...I hope you are wrong.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018