Options

*** Boston, MA Fanviews Here 9/2/18 ***

Comments

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    I don’t see them returning to arenas anytime soon, at least in the northeast. They would have had to play almost 4 shows at the TD Garden to have sold as many tickets as they did for the 2 nights at Fenway. I would think NYC or Philly would sell out any of their baseball stadiums too. 

As as long as these stadium shows keep selling out, I think they are the new normal (for certain areas)... unfortunately. 
    Is it laziness or green disease?

stadiums are starting to water down a lot of people’s opinions of the band a tad. 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    Was it the Waiting on a Friend tag in Black where Ed was singing about missing a friend and then said "I miss you Chris?"
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    I don’t see them returning to arenas anytime soon, at least in the northeast. They would have had to play almost 4 shows at the TD Garden to have sold as many tickets as they did for the 2 nights at Fenway. I would think NYC or Philly would sell out any of their baseball stadiums too. 

As as long as these stadium shows keep selling out, I think they are the new normal (for certain areas)... unfortunately. 
    It depends. If they play 2 in NY, 1 in Hartford, etc., 2 Garden shows is fine. If they're only playing 2 shows in the entire Eastern time zone, they will need a space bigger than an arena.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,155
    I hope they play in night 2 for an 1 and half hour and 18 songs.. And say in the end". Thanks for the Bitching. This is what u get When u are  ungrateful. We are not machines or a jukebox so we play as many songs u feel like and endless time. .. Have a good Goodnight. "
    Then some of u will understand is about quality.
    U  seeing live the best live  band of all times. And u checking your watch to see how many hours are on stage? My favo show of all times was pj Amsterdam 2-2012. 1 hour and 55 min.. Nothing can top that night. Not the 3 plus hours of Rome for exable. Wasn't even close. 
    Pj shows isn't like a man penis, that size matters. Is about how great quality performance u get and how epic they Rockin out. When they stop playing shows u will understand it.. But will be too late then. 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    I hope they play in night 2 for an 1 and half hour and 18 songs.. And say in the end". Thanks for the Bitching. This is what u get When u are  ungrateful. We are not machines or a jukebox so we play as many songs u feel like and endless time. .. Have a good Goodnight. "
    U  seeing live the best live  band of all times. And u checking your watch to see how many hours are on stage? My favo show of all times was pj Amsterdam 2-2012. 1 hour and 55 min.. Nothing can top that night. Not the 3 plus hours of Rome for exable. Wasn't even close. 
    Pj shows isn't like a man penis, that size matters. Is about how great quality performance u get and how epic they Rockin out. When they stop playing shows u will understand it.. But will be too late then. 
    They can do that. But I'd stop paying an absurd amount of money to see them. They set the expectations that they play a longer set than your average rock band. That's what I expect when I fork over $100+ a ticket. I'm not one to complain over 20 lost minutes but over an hour shorter than your average PJ set? Fuck that. Yes, they are people. They are also a business and I am their customer. If I buy a double cheeseburger, and the waiter comes back with a single patty on the bun, I send that shit back. I bet you would too.
  • Options
    Tiki said:

As much as I love Fenway Park...I hope you are wrong.

I hope so too.

nycrats said:

Is it laziness or green disease?

stadiums are starting to water down a lot of people’s opinions of the band a tad. 

Green disease... practical decision making... call it what you will, it just makes more sense from a business standpoint to sell 74K tickets instead of 38K tickets over two nights.

This fan base has already shown they are willing to travel, and these guys are getting older. It makes sense for them from so many different angles.

I agree it's watering down some people's opinions of the band, but based on what I saw Sunday night, there weren't too many people unhappy with the overall experience. It wasn't a top 5 PJ show for me, but it was still great; I'm going again tonight, and if Fenway is the only venue they play close to home for the rest of my life, then so be it, I'll be there. I won't be getting on a plane to see them play Wrigley again (or any other stadium for that matter), and I'm not sure if I would even make the drive to NYC or Philly for a ballpark show there, it's just not the same experience as an arena.

For as long as these shows sell out though, why would they do any different for the Northeast or Chicago? It makes no sense from a business standpoint, and at the end of the day, that's what this is... a business.

• Options
    oona left said:
    PJNB said:
    After waking up this morning and reading some posts on Facebook and here saying the show was not "good" I really needed to take a step back and wonder am I a Pearl Jam fanboy that thinks they can do no wrong? I know how I felt last night during the show and nothing would change that but I broke down the set and am still blown away by it. 

Sometimes,Release (amazing version with great crowd support),Low Light(Eddie held that last note forever), Small Town, Corduroy was a phenomenal opening segment and one of the best I have heard. Army Reserve, Amongst the Waves, It's Ok (Still waiting for a crowd to do this tag justice), slow fast Patriot was polished and great. Much better than Chicago's. 

I Won't Back Down had amazing crowd interaction. That second time through on the sing along was LOUD. Present Tense in the first encore was great, Tremor Christ out of nowhere. The first encore was the highlight of the show even with JB in there. Taillights > Draw the Line by a country mile too. 

Out of My Mind. Wanted this song for ever and never thought I would ever hear it. One of the most amazing concert moments of my life. I get people do not like this song and don't get it but it just clicks with me and it has nothing to do with its rarity. Also only 4 covers played which is a step up from 2016. 

Would I have liked them to come on earlier. Yes
    Would I have liked more songs. Yes
    Was it a great show. Yes
    Great post.    
    Well said...
  • Options
    Glad they did not scratch Out of My Mind.   Yes, only 10% of the crowd may have known it, but that is a loyal bunch of fans that care deeply about all of the songs.   
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The stadium shows likely wouldn't sell half as well as they have been if accompanied by a larger arena tour like they did for Lightning Bolt. People are coming to Fenway from all over the country and world and this band hasn't had much of a growth in popularity since 2013. From my perspective they're becoming less popular. Probably untrue though.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Was it the Waiting on a Friend tag in Black where Ed was singing about missing a friend and then said "I miss you Chris?"
    Yes, they definitely tagged the Stones there.  That was cool.  
  • Options
    AlaG said:
    They can do that. But I'd stop paying an absurd amount of money to see them. They set the expectations that they play a longer set than your average rock band. That's what I expect when I fork over $100+ a ticket. I'm not one to complain over 20 lost minutes but over an hour shorter than your average PJ set? Fuck that. Yes, they are people. They are also a business and I am their customer. If I buy a double cheeseburger, and the waiter comes back with a single patty on the bun, I send that shit back. I bet you would too.

F'n A - if they start playing 90 minute shows while charging $125 / ticket, I'm out... you can have my seat.

Also, let's not forget the e-mail blasts about a 6:30 start. If you're telling people to rush into their seats for a 6:30 show time and don't come out until 8, you should expect some pissed off fans.

People reported a medical emergency in the crowd for which the band delayed the start, which is understandable and admirable, but people who are unaware of that have a right to be pissed considering they were told repeatedly that the band would be on at 6:30. Do I think the band wanted to start @ 7:15 or 7:30? Absolutely, I'm sure they wanted to make it an epic night, but they didn't. They came out 90 minutes later then they & the venue said they would.

People have a right to be annoyed / upset by that.

• Options
    AlaG said:
    The stadium shows likely wouldn't sell half as well as they have been if accompanied by a larger arena tour like they did for Lightning Bolt. People are coming to Fenway from all over the country and world and this band hasn't had much of a growth in popularity since 2013. From my perspective they're becoming less popular. Probably untrue though.
    It's a fair question, as to where their ability to sell tickets sits right now.  They definitely are effective at controlling the supply.  If they don't do a proper arena tour after the next album (presumably in the next year), then we'll know where the economics sit.  
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    Cut people some slack. It was a great show, but they took the stage 90 minutes after people were strongly encouraged to be in their seats then scratched a couple songs.

And I have no beef if they ever want to get back to 2-2.5 hour sets, so long as they're taking an opener out.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    edited September 2018
    I don't even really mind 2.5 hour shows. That's a solid length. It was really just the late start that bugged me. Had the same reaction in Berlin this summer
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    AlaG said:
    Everyone had their own opinion but I must say have you been to see any other big , older bands?bruce, u2 , Guns N’ Roses, Paul McCartney all charge anywhere from 200-330 face value for good seats. 
  • Options
    LA98LA98 Posts: 256
    edited September 2018
    I've finally recovered enough from my drive home to post... Thank you, PJ, for a great show! Thank you, Ten Club, for seats that we loved! It was my 15-year-old's first show, he was screaming the words to nearly every song (sorry to those folks around him but he was having a blast!!!) Yes, wish they'd gone on earlier, wish the setlist was a bit different than it was, BUT we had a GREAT time and the band sounded fantastic so no complaints here. Oh, and a shout out to the very badass praying mantis that kept us entertained in F81 during the long wait!!! 
    Post edited by LA98 on
  • Options
    wordowordo Posts: 22
    edited September 2018
    Im not completely sure it was time, as much as an uneven, blah (shoot me) kinda set. That being said its trying to appease 2 fan bases in one show. Die hards who have been to 50 and "event goers" who want hits.
    It felt paint by numbers to straddle that line.
    Low Light/Elderly Woman
    Army Reserve/Even Flow
    Amongst the waves/Daughter.
    and frankly by trying that I think it killed momentum for both groups.
    But bitching 4 songs are gone from the encore, when one is the Wasted reprise...common...not even a freaking song.
    From someone at 50+ shows. Was a solid C.
    Cons
    He was drunk
    they went on too late  (much too late)
    talked too much.
    I was told by security on floor they were given an 11 curfew and thats what staff was told...so why not the longer encore.
    Tried to be all things to all people and I think mostly did not succeed.
    I know this one is polarizing (and Ive been told maybe he's not ready)...enough eulogizing Petty, when you are giving no where near enough love to Chris, your community and the man that put you in the position you ended up in.
    I was in seattle, missing was amazing, but lost on many people.....Maybe much like when alive was missing in Seattle for 10 years, its time to do Hunger Strike or a straight up Soundgarden song (not Black Hole, please) . 

Pros
    Release 2nd was interesting
    Mind You Manners was great and a great surprise
    a nice Given to Fly
    Blood with the old school Atomic Dog tag....

Wrapping up to both sides...yes yes yes and Hell Yes. If you are going to send emails to get people in their seats for 6:30, 
    DO NOT WAIT UNTIL 7:55 to walk on stage!!!!!!
    unless that was really Fenway park driven BS to sell more beer.
    which is equally bogus.

Post edited by wordo on
  • Options
    Just catching up here, they were supposed to start much closer to that 630 start? I'm going to Night 2 tonight and was planning on getting to my seat by 7...but not if they really were planning on 630. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    AlaG said:
    Everyone had their own opinion but I must say have you been to see any other big , older bands?bruce, u2 , Guns N’ Roses, Paul McCartney all charge anywhere from 200-330 face value for good seats. 
    I only care about Bruce amongst those and I paid $140 to be in GA when he last came to TD Garden. I would never have paid any more than that and will never pay that much again.

Then again, I'm 24 and most of my favorite rock bands don't share the same popularity or target demographic that PJ and Bruce do. I'm used to paying $20/ticket to see bands who are, imo, just as good if not occasionally better.

PJ is special to me but that price tag better come with something extra I can't get anywhere else. Right now, it does. When it doesn't, I will stop attending. Simple as that.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    yeahbuddy
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    AlaG said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    AlaG said:
    I only care about Bruce amongst those and I paid $140 to be in GA when he last came to TD Garden. I would never have paid any more than that and will never pay that much again.

Then again, I'm 24 and most of my favorite rock bands don't share the same popularity or target demographic that PJ and Bruce do. I'm used to paying $20/ticket to see bands who are, imo, just as good if not occasionally better.

PJ is special to me but that price tag better come with something extra I can't get anywhere else. Right now, it does. When it doesn't, I will stop attending. Simple as that.
    PJ is the best value, no doubt about that.  That is doubly true for arena shows.  
  • Options
    Lsk6453Lsk6453 Ponte Vedra, FL Posts: 550
    Hi everyone. I had an opportunity to review the show for Sonic Sound Magazine. Please see my review and some pics I took from the photography pit

http://sonicsoundmagazine.com/2018/09/pearl-jam-brings-their-away-shows-to-boston/

Shows attended: 38

7/5/98 Dallas, 10/17/00 Dallas, 4/30/03 Uniondale, 7/8/03 MSG 1, 7/9/03 MSG 2, 9/28/04 Boston 1, 9/29/04 Boston 2, 10/03/05 Philly, 4/15/06 SNL, 5/5/06 Irving Plaza, 5/13/06 Hartford, 6/1/06 NJ 1, 6/3/06 NJ 2, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/27/08 Hartford, 7/1/08 The Beacon, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 5/20/10 MSG, 5/21/10 MSG, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13, Brooklyn, 10/25/13 Hartford, 11/15/13 Dallas, 10/12/14 Austin 2, 5/1/16 MSG 1, 5/2/16 MSG 2, 8/5/15 Fenway 1, 4/7/17 RRHOF Induction, 8/8/18 Seattle 1, 8/10/18 Seattle  2, 9/2/18 Fenway 1, 9/13/23 Ft. Worth 1, 9/15/23 Ft. Worth 2, 5/16/24 Vegas 1, 5/18/24 Vegas 2
  • Options
    estarr31 said:
    Just catching up here, they were supposed to start much closer to that 630 start? I'm going to Night 2 tonight and was planning on getting to my seat by 7...but not if they really were planning on 630. 

I think they probably would have started around 7:30 if they could have.

I plan to get in there & be ready for as early as 7, and am hoping for a 7:15 - 7:30 start time. It's the last show of the tour, and the last time I went to one of those, they played 38 songs / 3:20. (Denver, 14). 

I'm holding out hope for that kind of night tonight.

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Had a blast.  Sad I couldn't stay for both shows but work just gets in the way sometimes.  Was it the best Pearl Jam show I've ever seen?  No, not even close.  Was it still awesome?  Yes, yes it was.  I got to see Pearl Jam play in Fenway Park, again.  I got to see friends I haven't seen in years.  I got to hang out with said friends before and after the show and drink and catch up. 

Probably the only thing that irritated me was the loooooong delay to start.  Not sure what was up with that since the damn place was packed but whatever.  Once they took the stage that was forgotten.  Sound was OK where I was (right by the 1st base dugout).  At first could only hear bass, drums and vocals but it got better after a few songs.  Crowd around me was energetic and into it.  

The beers flowed, the music was great, the weather was fucking perfect, the atmosphere was amazing (love Fenway), the friends were cool.  I don't have a thing into the world to complain about, except having to leave.  Great night!!!

Psssst - come back to Dallas soon.  Come Back . . . Come Back . . .
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Nice show indeed. 
  • Options
    This show was terrific. The overall sequence of songs makes me think it wasn't as great as say Hartford 2013 or Fenway Aug 7 2016, but I guess we all go in with certain expectations. Agree with earlier posts that it was great to see friends before the show, it was a beautiful night weather wise, and its truly an amazing facility. It was Blood and the It's Ok tag that will keep me coming back for more.  Can't wait til next time...
  • Options
    Showbiz78 said:
    This show was terrific. The overall sequence of songs makes me think it wasn't as great as say Hartford 2013 or Fenway Aug 7 2016, but I guess we all go in with certain expectations. Agree with earlier posts that it was great to see friends before the show, it was a beautiful night weather wise, and its truly an amazing facility. It was Blood and the It's Ok tag that will keep me coming back for more.  Can't wait til next time...
    The atmosphere really was great.  Totally agree with you.  I'll never complain about a show that includes Present Tense.  
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,155
    edited September 2018
    AlaG said:
      I just check all my email I got from 10c all  years in going to shows. Couldn't find not one saying "for the price u paying u will get minimum 3 hours show. Or 2 and half hours.. Not even one tour announcement said with the money u paying u will get 30 songs. 
    They can come on stage and play 1 hour and leave. And when u pay for a show isn't like ordering a burger. If u think with 100 dollars u will have a rock band be your slave and do what u want then u have no clue what u talking about.. This is art. Isn't French fries u order at McDonald's. We'll. I'm a paid customer. Let's order a lap dance dance and a milkshake. I paid and they need to fill my desire those paid musicians. Unreal. Order a burger same as the time  as rock concert will last. Cos hey.   I am' a paid customer 
    When u order a burger u have a menu and u order an specific item. When u go to a rock concert and pay ticket u don't get to order what u want. U go to see a performance. May last 1 hour maybe 2.may sing all the lyrics may lose some. May voice sounds amazing maybe not that good. Maybe be a rain, may not. Maybe is windy may not.may play your favorite songs. May not
    I relay the show. Band was on stage 2 hours and 40 minutes
    Where is that 1 hour less u talking about? 
    The average of pj shows are 2:30-2:45 and 2 hours for festivals
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    AlaG said:
      I just check all my email I got from 10c all  years in going to shows. Couldn't find not one saying "for the price u paying u will get minimum 3 hours show. Or 2 and half hours.. Not even one tour announcement said with the money u paying u will get 30 songs. 
    They can come on stage and play 1 hour and leave. And when u pay for a show isn't like ordering a burger. If u think with 100 dollars u will have a rock band be your slave and do what u want then u have no clue what u talking about.. This is art. Isn't French fries u order at McDonald's. We'll. I'm a paid customer. Let's order a lap dance dance and a milkshake. I paid and they need to fill my desire those paid musicians. Unreal. Order a burger same as the time  as rock concert will last. Cos hey.   I am' a paid customer 
    When u order a burger u have a menu and u order an specific item. When u go to a rock concert and pay ticket u don't get to order what u want. U go to see a performance. May last 1 hour maybe 2.may sing all the lyrics may lose some. May voice sounds amazing maybe not that good. Maybe be a rain, may not. Maybe is windy may not.may play your favorite songs. May not
    I was answering your hypothetical.

Agreed. No need, from my perspective, to get mad at the band for playing 15 or 20 minutes less than usual.

And you're right they do not have to play that much. All I'm saying is that by setting that expectation at prior shows, fans are perfectly inbounds to think that's what they'll receive at theirs and be upset when they don't get that, within reason.

The argument that they're people too is dumb as hell. Yes. Of course they are. But when they're on stage, in addition to being people, they are a product that I and several others are paying for. Slavery would insinuate that we're not paying and exploiting them and is actually an insulting allegory to folks whose ancestors were ya know...actual slaves.

I've singlehandedly paid upwards of 5 grand to this band. You've singlehandedly paid probably upwards of 100 grand to this band. To think they don't owe you or I anything for that is ridiculous and borderline disgusting idol worship.
  • Options
    AlaG said:
    The band retweeted from the venue, specific details that the band would take the stage @ 6:30.

https://twitter.com/fenwaypark/status/1035542729646694402?s=21

Based on this info alone, people were expecting more than they got. PJ & Fenway set these high expectations for Sunday night, this isn’t complicated.