Options

Posters and the flippers

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    on2legs said:
    My saving grace, money wise, has been only hanging posters in the office.  Limits me to under 10 being framed and hanging.  Its half PJ and half rare Gaslight Anthem posters at the moment.  

This summer i cleaned out my flatfile and sold off all of the non framed PJ prints.....but i bought two rare posters and the PJ wine set with the proceeds :lol:  
    Random but true fact... The bass player from Gaslight Anthem is my barber. 
    Tiger cuts?  Something like that.  I always see him post about it :lol:   Thats awesome man.  Tell him some dude spent a fortune on his posters
    I think Tiger Cuts is his line of products.  But he works at a local place here.  It would be cool if I could get a hair cut from Stone in between tours. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JDime20JDime20 Posts: 192
    nicky-p38 said:
    I noticed this picture on eBay. I heard KGB people buying many posters at the shows but never saw it in person. Crazy...I thought there was 2 print limit. 

It looks like there are maybe 6 or so posters in there which is under the limit of 2 per print. I doubt they’re all the Thomas either, I didn’t see anyone walking away with more than two. I thought they did a good job sticking to the limits. Although it’s not inconceivable to think they waited in line each day and stocked up on the Thomas. That being said, I’m on the team of 1 print per person, even if you’re just buying one for your friend that doesn’t want to wait in line or isn’t in town yet. There has to be a better way!!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    Tonight on American Bandstand! A live performance by none other than Poster and the Flippers! 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    unknownunknown Posts: 531
    so will the rome print be up for sale through the ten club ? 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,366
    unknown said:
    so will the rome print be up for sale through the ten club ? 
    As I lie in the beach in SC in a small tent refreshing my phone...this would be an amazing thing to know. I’m going to lay here until I leave for Boston!!!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    unknown said:
    My issue is I can’t be online 24/7 in hopes of a poster drop.  Any advice?
    Give up merch. Life is a lot easier that way
    Great advice.  When I get more time I am going full liquidation mode.  Stick all the money in future PJ travel fund.  Went merch free this Euro tour and hadn't a second thought.  Will try for the Rome poster and if I get it great, if not no biggie.
    I'm getting prepared to liquidate my collection too.

I'll keep some things but for the most part it all goes.  I know someone wants my Yield sign, lol.
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    edited August 2018
    unknown said:
    My issue is I can’t be online 24/7 in hopes of a poster drop.  Any advice?
    Give up merch. Life is a lot easier that way
    Great advice.  When I get more time I am going full liquidation mode.  Stick all the money in future PJ travel fund.  Went merch free this Euro tour and hadn't a second thought.  Will try for the Rome poster and if I get it great, if not no biggie.
    I'm getting prepared to liquidate my collection too.

I'll keep some things but for the most part it all goes.  I know someone wants my Yield sign, lol.

Can you & bootlegger align your "drop" times to match with Santos.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    When you stop collecting posters life is easier . I still get odd items of merch if I like them. But giving up posters was the best thing I did. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,387
    When you stop collecting posters life is easier . I still get odd items of merch if I like them. But giving up posters was the best thing I did. 
    Its sad that it gets to this point for anyone. So many great pieces still left to see and appreciate. I have been able to slow it down and focus on my favorites, but I couldnt just give it up
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    JDime20 said:
    nicky-p38 said:
    I noticed this picture on eBay. I heard KGB people buying many posters at the shows but never saw it in person. Crazy...I thought there was 2 print limit. 

It looks like there are maybe 6 or so posters in there which is under the limit of 2 per print. I doubt they’re all the Thomas either, I didn’t see anyone walking away with more than two. I thought they did a good job sticking to the limits. Although it’s not inconceivable to think they waited in line each day and stocked up on the Thomas. That being said, I’m on the team of 1 print per person, even if you’re just buying one for your friend that doesn’t want to wait in line or isn’t in town yet. There has to be a better way!!
    The reality is that the limit, if enforced, was two of each posters per merchandise booth. I haven't spent the time to research how many booths (inside and outside) there were but over three days it's conceivable that a person could amass a dozen or more of each poster. And, if that person also brought along a spouse , kid or non-collector friend well, you can do the math.
  • Options
    philobeddoephilobeddoe Kennessee Posts: 192
    Its sad that it gets to this point for anyone. So many great pieces still left to see and appreciate. I have been able to slow it down and focus on my favorites, but I couldnt just give it up
    I'm one of those who only gets stuff from shows I've attended, which is funny, because I can't get stuff at shows I attend. 

• Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    I'm one of those who only gets stuff from shows I've attended, which is funny, because I can't get stuff at shows I attend. 

Speaking of shows you've attended, any chance you can shorten that signature of yours?
  • Options
    it so frustrating it makes me want to give up, but still hoping for a rome print
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    on2legs said:
    My saving grace, money wise, has been only hanging posters in the office.  Limits me to under 10 being framed and hanging.  Its half PJ and half rare Gaslight Anthem posters at the moment.  

This summer i cleaned out my flatfile and sold off all of the non framed PJ prints.....but i bought two rare posters and the PJ wine set with the proceeds :lol:  
    Random but true fact... The bass player from Gaslight Anthem is my barber. 
    I had my hair cut by a member of Strawberry Alarm Clock like 20 years ago. Kind of funny how these bands that are big for a short period of time blow through their money and end up just regular guys a few years later.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Dear god, this topic....

over it i give up GIF

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    RE4790RE4790 Posts: 795

I've found life is much better when I spend that money of food/drink/side excursions while at the concert than on merch in general.  I mean, I get the social aspect of hanging with fans, but why spend longer in line for a poster/sticker/shirt to remember a concert than you actually spend at the concert?

• Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 273
    RE4790 said:

I've found life is much better when I spend that money of food/drink/side excursions while at the concert than on merch in general.  I mean, I get the social aspect of hanging with fans, but why spend longer in line for a poster/sticker/shirt to remember a concert than you actually spend at the concert?

This. It seems it's becoming more about the Pearl Jam merchandising monster than the music. Given they don't make music very often. 
  • Options
    RE4790 said: I mean, I get the social aspect of hanging with fans, but why spend longer in line for a poster/sticker/shirt to remember a concert than you actually spend at the concert?
    golden
  • Options
    bizbiz Posts: 48

The big thing that people in the merch line need to be aware of are the line holders (that are getting paid) and the multiple people they try to let cut in line prior to the doors opening to the merch stand. It happened at Fenway last time. People need to back up each other and speak up. They are some shady people so be careful.

• Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,519
    unknown said:
    So, I never realized just how bad some of these Pearl Jam flippers are with the posters.  I’ve given up on a few of the posters I want.

my question is, are there other bands that do tour posters and are their fans flipping them? Like Wilco or foo fighters? Of us this just a Pearl Jam thing 
    A question only a flipper would ask. Find out which other bands posters are worth flipping! Haha
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited August 2018
    Pearl Jam seems to be the most 'lightning rod' band.  There seems to be a ravenous appetite for their prints that results in competition and inflated prices, moreso than any other band that I know of.    

There are a few artists who also automatically produce a speculative demand on their own, like Sperry and Emek.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Happy JulioHappy Julio Posts: 161
    edited August 2018
    311 has flippers, the foos, QOTSA, anyone that EMEK does a poster for, there are SPERRY flippers, there are flippers. here there and everywhere

2006 PJ/Petty Milwaukee Night 1
    2007 Lollapalooza Chicago
    2013 Wrigley Chicago
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    The PJ market seems to be the worst and I think it's largely because of the size of the fan base. Flipping only works if there are people willing to pay the top prices. I've bought and sold plenty of posters, but never come close to the speed of selling PJ related prints (although the most I ever got for a print was a FF one..)
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    StevieG73StevieG73 Dublin, Ireland and New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 443
    I'm not a fan of flippers...but like everything else in the world, this is a simple case of supply and demand.  When an item is manufactured in limited quantities (and you know people want it) then this is going to happen.  Take the PJ20 billboard poster for example....there were tens of thousands of people there over the weekend...there was no need to limit the print to 250.  Neither the band nor the artist benefits from it being $1500+ on eBay....the benefit would have been to sell it on the PJ website after the fact and the artist sell his lot.  To top it off, the merchandise tents never enforce their own rules when it comes to limits.

Bottom line...flippers are seizing an opportunity that's been created for them.  I don't begrudge them because I missed out on something.
    2000 = Montreal 
    2003 = Montreal
    2005 = Halifax, St. John's Night 1
    2008 = NYC Night 1, 
    2010 = Boston
    2011 = EV - Boston, PJ20 Night 1&2, Toronto
    2012 = EV - Orlando Night 1&2
    2013 = Chicago, Worcester Night 1
    2016 = Boston '16
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    My impression is that the limited runs are just how they keep them actual screen prints. They could do thousands of them, but it changes the art itself, and that's part of what makes it so collectible. 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    My impression has always been its an intentional market. They probably have people working for the who determine how many they can print and sell for $35.
    I know I wouldn't spend $35 on a poster that had 30,000 copies printed. But make it "rare" or a limited run and I probably will for the shows I went to.
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    The PJ market seems to be the worst and I think it's largely because of the size of the fan base. Flipping only works if there are people willing to pay the top prices. I've bought and sold plenty of posters, but never come close to the speed of selling PJ related prints (although the most I ever got for a print was a FF one..)
    I think it (the merch and a core fan base that will travel to see the band) also has to do with the fact that they vary the setlist every show. When I told a guy I work with that I just saw pj in Chicago over the weekend, he remembered them as a band from high school, but didn't think they were still relevant enough to travel to see. I bet a lot of people feel the same, but there is a group of probably only 20,000 active fan club members that keep the band as active and relevant (in our minds) as they are. Yet if they played the same 20 songs night after night, there wouldn't be this fever to travel to see them and buy anything with their name on it. 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,366
    edited August 2018
    hihobibo said:
    I think it (the merch and a core fan base that will travel to see the band) also has to do with the fact that they vary the setlist every show. When I told a guy I work with that I just saw pj in Chicago over the weekend, he remembered them as a band from high school, but didn't think they were still relevant enough to travel to see. I bet a lot of people feel the same, but there is a group of probably only 20,000 active fan club members that keep the band as active and relevant (in our minds) as they are. Yet if they played the same 20 songs night after night, there wouldn't be this fever to travel to see them and buy anything with their name on it. 
    Yup. Metallica is evidence of this. 
  • Options
    I don't have the time or energy to do the flipping, I just want the few pearl jam posters i've attended or that
    i like without paying an arm and a leg.  It seems th
  • Options
    Ok, I'm about to attend my first ever PJ show @ Fenway N2 (been a fan forever just never got to a show). I'm not a flipper or even a collector but I would love a poster to frame and remember this show. Based on what I'm reading here is that even going to be a possibility? Realistically speaking what are my chances of getting a poster (without sacraficing any of the show)? Thanks.

Brian
This discussion has been closed.