Options

Posters and the flippers

unknownunknown Posts: 531
So, I never realized just how bad some of these Pearl Jam flippers are with the posters.  I’ve given up on a few of the posters I want.

my question is, are there other bands that do tour posters and are their fans flipping them? Like Wilco or foo fighters? Of us this just a Pearl Jam thing 

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Already a zillion threads on this OP. Search em’ out. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    I don’t think it’s to the craziness of Pearl Jam fans, but there are many bands that produce tour posters that get flipped.  DMB for one. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    Cuts across many different bands and beyond gig posters - film, original art prints, etc. It is art, people collect art, and thus some pieces wind up being considerably valuable.
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Jack White generally has fewer posters per show, and I'd classify his hardcore fans as crazier about it.  And many of them flip those.  Ran into a guy from work at the Detroit show who had 6 of them (didn't know he was a flipper prior to that), saw him on a Facebook page selling them for 300.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Gtilley8 said:
    Jack White generally has fewer posters per show, and I'd classify his hardcore fans as crazier about it.  And many of them flip those.  Ran into a guy from work at the Detroit show who had 6 of them (didn't know he was a flipper prior to that), saw him on a Facebook page selling them for 300.  
    I went to my first Jack White concert in May, up in Milwaukee. There were only 200 posters for sale. Yet it was FAR easier to get than a good Pearl Jam poster is.

On another note - personally I think Pearl Jam's selling strategy or tactics is much of what causes the craziness. They deliberately keep items limited to drive up demand.

• Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    edited August 2018
    Two factors here: a bunch of 30-50 year olds who finally have money and an addiction to anything Pearl Jam (especially shows they were not at) and the band having to figure out why the Prague poster is going for $400 on eBay meanwhile they have a handful of posters still on their website from other shows. If they make the same amount for each show what can you do?
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,239
    I've found that a lot of bands now sell concert posters (which is great because it creates some variety around the house).   I saw Queens of the Stone Age in January and we barely got in before the opening band hit the stage.   I was bummed I was going to get a poster.  Then at the end of the show they still had them and it was easy to get one.

GnR was harder.  The merch line's outside/inside we're pretty long.   AiC was opening so I abandoned the lineup to watch their set.  The posters weren't selling out fast but there were only 300.  It made it a bit challenging to find one on ebay after.

Never had issues getting posters for AiC, Soundgarden, NIN, Tool, Metallica, or Tragically Hip shows.   I think they flip for a bit on ebay now, because people don't realize there's posters until years after they were at the show and want one.

From what I've seen PJ does seem to have the biggest merch crazy fan base I've seen.  I haven't seen anything like it at other shows.   Our merch craziness creates the black market for it... lol.  I've never seen anything other artists that set's up a merch tent 3 or 4 days before the show(s), and it's nothing but a 3 hour lineup for days on end.    It's crazy....  I think PJ prints alot of the posters now.    If you wait it out, there's so many copies, the prices will probably fall to $100 or less on ebay (and they'll probably sell some in the PJ store).
  • Options
    philobeddoephilobeddoe Kennessee Posts: 192
    The various Facebook raffle pages have made getting prints and other official merch at shows so much more difficult, driving the already insane false scarcity and overvaluing everything, setting an increasingly more expensive standard. Large groups of flippers flipping to other flippers, prints passing to and fro between the seemingly same six people. 
  • Options
    But does these other bands like jack white sell their posters online like the 10club?  I just never seen anything like it as far as Pearl Jam merch
  • Options
    unknown said:
    But does these other bands like jack white sell their posters online like the 10club?  I just never seen anything like it as far as Pearl Jam merch
    Yes. All of the bands. All of the things. All of the time. But, it's all sold out.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Gnr has some amazing concert posters the last few years
  • Options
    Do these flippers have real jobs? Or is this seriously all they do?
  • Options
    unknown said:
    Do these flippers have real jobs? Or is this seriously all they do?
    I've encountered both. Some are actually genuine fans with jobs and lives seeking to help (exploit) fellow fans for profit. Who else is going to fund their tour travel?
  • Options
    My issue is I can’t be online 24/7 in hopes of a poster drop.  Any advice?
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,098
    unknown said:
    Be online 24/7 for a poster drop
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    unknown said:
    Give up merch. Life is a lot easier that way
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    unknown said:
    This. Seriously, my wife would never allow me to first off frame every poster I have, that’d cost a few grand and even if she did, she doesn’t want a house full of PJ shit hanging. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    The various Facebook raffle pages have made getting prints and other official merch at shows so much more difficult, driving the already insane false scarcity and overvaluing everything, setting an increasingly more expensive standard. Large groups of flippers flipping to other flippers, prints passing to and fro between the seemingly same six people. 
    Can someone explain the Facebook raffle thing?
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    unknown said:
    This. Seriously, my wife would never allow me to first off frame every poster I have, that’d cost a few grand and even if she did, she doesn’t want a house full of PJ shit hanging. 
    This. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    edited August 2018
    unknown said:
    Sounds like you need to give up your wife, not merch.  Viva la merch! Forever!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    unknown said:
    Great advice.  When I get more time I am going full liquidation mode.  Stick all the money in future PJ travel fund.  Went merch free this Euro tour and hadn't a second thought.  Will try for the Rome poster and if I get it great, if not no biggie.
  • Options
    jdopj said:
    Can someone explain the Facebook raffle thing?
    An item or items (poster, vinyl, etc) are proffered to members of the group who then buy spots at a set price per spot, sometimes discounted for multiple spots. Using a Powerball driven 26 or 69 spot draw, once all spots are filled, the winner is chosen in the next Poweball lottery, 1st white ball (69 spots) or red Powerball (26 spots) wins. Sometimes multiple prizes are offered to multiple winners.
  • Options
    My saving grace, money wise, has been only hanging posters in the office.  Limits me to under 10 being framed and hanging.  Its half PJ and half rare Gaslight Anthem posters at the moment.  

This summer i cleaned out my flatfile and sold off all of the non framed PJ prints.....but i bought two rare posters and the PJ wine set with the proceeds :lol:  
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,699
    Thats very true. Some duds too. Used the same artist for most. Arian Buhler. Would be cool if he did a PJ poster 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    Kearn5y said:
    Thats very true. Some duds too. Used the same artist for most. Arian Buhler. Would be cool if he did a PJ poster 
    When the Not In This Lifetime tour started, I only collected the prints from the shows I went too. (Nashville, NOLA, Houston) I found the first run to have wayyyyy to many skulls and death. What do you expect for who they are, right. I get it. But then once they went to Japan the posters became true works of art 
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,699
    Kearn5y said:
    When the Not In This Lifetime tour started, I only collected the prints from the shows I went too. (Nashville, NOLA, Houston) I found the first run to have wayyyyy to many skulls and death. What do you expect for who they are, right. I get it. But then once they went to Japan the posters became true works of art 
    http://lithorati.com/ for anyone who isn't familiar.
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    nicky-p38nicky-p38 Posts: 394
    edited August 2018
    I noticed this picture on eBay. I heard of people buying many posters at the shows but never saw it in person. Crazy...I thought there was 2 print limit. 

Post edited by nicky-p38 on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    My saving grace, money wise, has been only hanging posters in the office.  Limits me to under 10 being framed and hanging.  Its half PJ and half rare Gaslight Anthem posters at the moment.  

This summer i cleaned out my flatfile and sold off all of the non framed PJ prints.....but i bought two rare posters and the PJ wine set with the proceeds :lol:  
    Random but true fact... The bass player from Gaslight Anthem is my barber. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Then find out if they are gonna reunite
  • Options
    on2legs said:

Random but true fact... The bass player from Gaslight Anthem is my barber. 
    Tiger cuts?  Something like that.  I always see him post about it :lol:   Thats awesome man.  Tell him some dude spent a fortune on his posters
This discussion has been closed.