This merch situation is really frustrating.

Comments

• smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    I was at Missoula and on the day before the show when the merch tent opened it was a strict 2 poster limit.
    Same the day of when I was there

Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,041
    smithnic said:
    I was at Missoula and on the day before the show when the merch tent opened it was a strict 2 poster limit.
    Same the day of when I was there

Yeah, I'd need some corroboration on the 25-at-a-time
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,829
    Some guy has 5 up on eBay. Same guy. Just stupid.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    TA243471 said:
    As soon as they start a presale again, a different group of people will start to bitch that they had to pay $35 for a man/bear/pig or that yellow thing from Zio Zeigler that is STILL  in the shop.
    :lol:
    That poster was the tipping point for me.  Up until then I was trying to obtain all the ones for shows I'd been to. When I saw that one I was like, yeeeeeah , maybe merch just isn't for me anymore!  (Though I couldn't pass up Wrigley merch, haha!)

Assume you made it to Wrigley this year?  I had to stay home this time, unfortunately.
  • Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    The guy behind me in line yesterday helped me get a setlist shirt for my friend that didn't want to wait in line again.  When he handed me the shirt, he said he just missed the poster.  Placed my poster (well my friend's that didn't want to wait) on his that he was about to roll up.  

Not everyone is trying to flip these
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,695
    edited August 2018
    Some guy has 5 up on eBay. Same guy. Just stupid.
    What!!!!!!! . Unbelievable 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    deadendp said:
    Sarava said:
    What bums me out is the merch situation brings out the worst in people. As I stood in line last night, I watched just about everybody in line buy 2 Thomas posters. Until they ran out with me 3rd in line. And this isn't about me. I bought the ames poster, and at the end of the day I think I actually like that one better.

But to all the fans buying multiples of a poster they know is about to run out. They apparently have no concern that their greed is screwing over the people just a few spots behind them in line. People that waited just as long as them in line, but they came away with nothing. All so they can resell the poster on ebay for $100 profit or whatever. Isn't this against the spirit of what being a fan is supposed to be about?

The band could obviously stop or help this situation, but they choose not to.
    You are assuming that everyone ahead of you is selling posters for profit, but have you considered that some people are getting their second copy for people who have waited in that same line before and lost out?   

I understand your frustration, but there are some pretty terrific people here who do truly just try to take care of each other ... without flipping. 
    I really want to believe that but I just don’t. Maybe a very small percent are. I’m iso of one on lost dogs and haven’t gotten any responses beside a few trade inquiries. 
    I know for a fact that some of them are getting two because they know other fans who want them, and they aren't getting a profit out of it. A lot of fans do that either for people who asked, or to help out a random fellow fan who is seeking but can't get their own. Ideally it would be 1 per person limit so people in line have a chance, but it's not true everyone getting two are just greedy.
    This... I bought an extra in hopes of trading it. I have no desire to profit 
    Well.... That's not quite the same as what I was talking about. ;) I'm not criticizing you, but I was just talking about people who were grabbing a poster for a friend or another 10C member as a favour or as a random act of kindness. Not about those who are buying more than they need to use as currency for other merch later.

But anyway, at the end of the day, we should all direct our frustrations most at 10C's merch methods (not that all the flipper fans aren't to blame as well). They purposely limit supply of the merch that will predictably be in high demand, obviously, and that is where all the problems begin. As others have said, the only reason for this that I can think of is that they want to keep the "buzz" going, which means they basically want the flipper market to thrive for PR's sake. I could be wrong about that... I just can't think of another good reason for it. If there is a different reason I would love for 10C to let us know what it is.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    tubes10s said:
    Buying an extra in hopes of trading still keeps that poster out of the hands of someone who was actually at the show.  And unless you're trading it for another poster that routinely sells for the $40-$50 that you just paid for it, and not trading it for one that is "valued" a lot higher... trading up is just another form of profit.  Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with it; you got in line and waited your time, so you're welcome to buy whatever you want and do whatever you want with it, but might as well call it what it is.  

But either way... this merch situation is absolutely intentional, and choices are actively being made to create and feed the frenzy instead of taking steps to calm it.  

I normally don't buy two copies of a poster but I bought two Thomas posters in the hope of trading to get a Seattle Shuss since it's the only one I missed out on.  It only took me 3 attempts in line to get the Thomas.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,365
    While I sympathize with those not getting a poster....these ARE limited edition items, and yes,  some are better than others. Sometimes you get one,  sometimes you lose out. Its artwork, not wal-mart. 

The crew and the artists have done a better job at allowing people to buy stuff before the shows, so you dont have to destroy your artwork accidentally at the show. And the option to wait for one is also there INSIDE the venue. Sometimes, you just lose out.

Again, these are all limited edition items. Enforcing a 2 per customer limit would be good. But I don't see much more of a solution beyond that. It comes with the territory that some are let down, and some walk away happy.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    Vedd Hedd said:
    While I sympathize with those not getting a poster....these ARE limited edition items, and yes,  some are better than others. Sometimes you get one,  sometimes you lose out. Its artwork, not wal-mart. 

The crew and the artists have done a better job at allowing people to buy stuff before the shows, so you dont have to destroy your artwork accidentally at the show. And the option to wait for one is also there INSIDE the venue. Sometimes, you just lose out.

Again, these are all limited edition items. Enforcing a 2 per customer limit would be good. But I don't see much more of a solution beyond that. It comes with the territory that some are let down, and some walk away happy.
    I see more of a solution by enforcing a 1 per customer limit, and increasing the supply at least somewhat (that they're limited items is neither here nor there IMHO - that just seems like a meaningless catch phrase when it comes to merch for huge shows), so that they aren't running out of stock 35 minutes after the merch tent opens - that's just dumb.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512
    Exactly.... there's no need for show edition posters to be limited edition items unless someone wants to intentionally create a frenzy.  
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,139
    Yep.  1 poster per person.  End of story.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,695
    edited August 2018
    Yep.  1 poster per person.  End of Story 
  • tubes10s said:
    Buying an extra in hopes of trading still keeps that poster out of the hands of someone who was actually at the show.  And unless you're trading it for another poster that routinely sells for the $40-$50 that you just paid for it, and not trading it for one that is "valued" a lot higher... trading up is just another form of profit.  Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with it; you got in line and waited your time, so you're welcome to buy whatever you want and do whatever you want with it, but might as well call it what it is.  

But either way... this merch situation is absolutely intentional, and choices are actively being made to create and feed the frenzy instead of taking steps to calm it.  
    The problem with this theory is that they don't profit from the secondary market which is where the big margins are made. This is the same argument people made about Air Jordan shoes for years. Well now they produce way more during their "limited releases" make more money and continue to sell out. This is all happening as they print more and more every show. Doesn't add up.

They can absolutely do things to calm the situation, but some of these same steps would cause another frenzy.  

1. Make the price of the poster higher (cut down the margin for the secondary market). Can you imagine the outrage if they charged $100-200 a poster? There would be a riot.

2. Mass produce the posters. Again fans would riot because it wouldn't be "as valuable". It won't be "special"
  • TA243471 said:
    As soon as they start a presale again, a different group of people will start to bitch that they had to pay $35 for a man/bear/pig or that yellow thing from Zio Zeigler that is STILL  in the shop.
    Exactly. There are logistics involved here that a lot of people gloss over as well. Outsourcing/staff, shipping, returns, plus all the added bitching about not liking something they pre-bought. I guarantee you they did the analysis and decided it wasn't worth the headache. Remember this has been done before. 
  • unknownunknown Posts: 531
    well they didn't have the limit when i was there, i witnessed him buy 25 of the trump
    poster and hand his credit card.  there were people in line like me absolutely furious

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    unknown said:
    well they didn't have tnuhe limit when i was there, i witnessed him buy 25 of the trump
    poster and hand his credit card.  there were people in line like me absolutely furious

Did you say anything to the merch person?? Like "Why are you not enforcing the 2 poster limit?"?  And if so, what was their response?

It's frustrating as hell when buyers break the rules, but sometimes word doesn't get to sll the merch people that there is any rule.  That's not the fans' fault, but since it affects everyone in line after, it makes no sense to witness this without asking why it's being allowed. 
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    That's a good question. Ive seen lots of comments on here about the poster limits being broken but no one has ever posted anything about actually asking the merch people why they are giving out more than the 2 limit.
  • Here is my $.2
    1st: 
    I think that waiting in line for merch is a drag but also some of the best times. Yes you miss out on exploring the city or area but you also make some great friends and spending 3 hours in line together you will not believe how well you get to know people from other cities, states, countries. I have been grateful for the people I have met in merch lines that have helped me out for future shows for merch and tickets and vice versa. It is so rewarding knowing that you have strangers at one point but now are helping each other out and becoming friends. 

2nd:
    I think the thrill of getting posters and shirts and whatever for your kids, wives girlfriends, etc. is what makes PJ concerts one of a kind. There is not one other group, artist out there that this happens. Why get rid of that. It's the Thrill of getting that one Item, The HUNT. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. That's life get over it....welll well well  Ryan.....what about the terrible human beings---The F word- FLIPPERS? 

3rd: FLIPPERS
    Blame the band for being so fucking awesome and creating awesome posters and crazy fans like us that will stand in line for 3-4 hours to have a shot at that POSTER. WE CREATED THE DEMAND, Not the FLIPPERS.  Is it wrong- yes. Could there be a solution?Possibly!
    How bout you must show you have a ticket to the show and there is limit 2 per item across the board. You want more...go back to the end of the line. Not only this will cut down having to wait 3-4 hours before opening but will make the lines move quicker and everyone will have a "Better" chance at getting the items they are looking for. MAKE THE FLIPPERS WORK FOR IT...BUY YOUR 2 PER ITEM...BACK TO THE END OF THE LINE...REPEAT...REPEAT. 

4th 10C Members: 
    Stadium Shows: 
     I say if you win the lotto you should have an option to pick 1 poster, shirt, hat and maybe a sticker for purchase. Doesn't arrive until after the tour concludes. So if you want more merch you will then have to line up. But for people like me this would be Ideal.Saves me time but if I wan't to wait for merch I know I don't have to stress cause I got the poster, shirt, hat and sticker that I wanted coming to me later.  Lets be honest there is only typically 1 gem out of 5 for these ballpark shows and the other 4 you can purchase on website or ebay for $35-$50. 

Arena Shows: 
    Win Lotto-Simple- Option to purchase 1 poster only or 1 Shirt.
    Besides maybe 1 or 2 cities out there.  I have been able to get all the merch I wanted at arena shows. 

Maybe there is some good ideas, maybe not! I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. Just throwing out some ideas that would allow the band to have 100% control of there merch instead of some big media company. 

Your thoughts? 

6/27/06 St. Paul**MN
    11/16/13 OKC**OK
    10/09/14 Lincoln**NE
    10/19/14 St. Paul**MN
    5/02/16 NYC**MSG #2
    8/20/16 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1
    8/13/18 Missoula**MT WA-Grizz Stadium 
    8/18/18 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1 
    4/2/20 Nashville**TN 
    4/4/20 St. Louis**MO 

That's a good question. Ive seen lots of comments on here about the poster limits being broken but no one has ever posted anything about actually asking the merch people why they are giving out more than the 2 limit.
    Exactly!  When we were in line in Seattle, it was a different issue but we were all VERY vocal about a situation that was totally jacked up.  The time the person in question was wasting was then made up to some of the rest of us in their line by another merch person who was super fast and super good at what they were doing who asked her line if they could hold because it was only fair to take a few people from our line while the issue got resolved.

So issue got resolved AND people got to keep buying during resolution, all because the people in line spoke up.

It doesn't always work out that way, but to witness it and not even TRY to ask about it or point it out doesn't make any sense.  And then talk about how mad everyone was.
  • unknownunknown Posts: 531
    i'm just trying to get a  trump poster for my son, i thought this place might be a way to find a kind
    person willing to sell one. i can't afford price on ebay
  • link93link93 Posts: 404
    I was at the Missoula show and could have bought the poster. I didn’t see anybody buy more than a couple. They were available inside at the stand I saw and they even had some left when I was leaving the show. Sorry you had a problem getting one. I figured anyone who wanted one got one. Of course in hindsight I should have bought a couple for trading, which I agree can be a problem just like flipping them. 
  • letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    I got into Chicago and was at Wrigley on Friday around 1-2pm.  Didn't even bother with merch due to the line. 

Its a shame that its like that, but I was already prepared not to get any merch.   Much rather hang out with friends and enjoy the day. 

There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Seattle was crazy 6 straight days of 2-4 hour waits, I was out there for 2 of the days with my 100w speaker playing Pearl Jam music & at least 50% of those people were non-pearl jam fans w/the sole express purpose of flipping the merchandise, it was pretty easy to tell by their disdain for Pearl Jam music, my only thought she all these people pimping out Pearl Jam fans is that this is so completely fucked up, but whatever if I really want something I just find someone who can get me a extra one & I paypal them the money plus shipping, fortunately there are a lot of hella cool Pearl Jam fans out there.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,338
    tubes10s said:

The problem with this theory is that they don't profit from the secondary market which is where the big margins are made. This is the same argument people made about Air Jordan shoes for years. Well now they produce way more during their "limited releases" make more money and continue to sell out. This is all happening as they print more and more every show. Doesn't add up.

They can absolutely do things to calm the situation, but some of these same steps would cause another frenzy.  

1. Make the price of the poster higher (cut down the margin for the secondary market). Can you imagine the outrage if they charged $100-200 a poster? There would be a riot.

2. Mass produce the posters. Again fans would riot because it wouldn't be "as valuable". It won't be "special"
    I don't have a problem with these two options, as I'm not a collector that thrives on poster hype and a speculated secondary market. Occasionally, I'd like a concert poster, but most I walk past.
    Seattle was crazy 6 straight days of 2-4 hour waits, I was out there for 2 of the days with my 100w speaker playing Pearl Jam music & at least 50% of those people were non-pearl jam fans w/the sole express purpose of flipping the merchandise, it was pretty easy to tell by their disdain for Pearl Jam music, my only thought she all these people pimping out Pearl Jam fans is that this is so completely fucked up, but whatever if I really want something I just find someone who can get me a extra one & I paypal them the money plus shipping, fortunately there are a lot of hella cool Pearl Jam fans out there.
    Hi BBH, this doesn't help you with your poster request, but just wanted to point something out about you blasting PJ in the line for hours.  First off, love that you're bringing the PJ love and showing the love.  That said, while I was in line for 3 hrs on the day of Seattle 1, it was actually a big convo in the line among my linemates (and whoever happened to be on either side of us at various times during the wait), and we were surprised at how many of us have the same preference to NOT listen to the band we're going to see that day before the show.

It's just a preference - if I'd been in line with you I would never have asked you to stop playing PJ.  But when you said it was obvious you were in line with flippers because of their disdain for PJ music, some people are hardcore about this, they REALLY do NOT like listening to the band they're going to see on the day of the show.

So just wanted to give you that context, some of those folks may not have been non-PJ fans, some of them may have been mega PJ purists and really not wanted to have their rule broken for hours when they couldn't escape it until they were done buying!

Again, NOT saying you shouldn't do this, I think the spirit of it is far cooler and more fun than any concern about people's individual preferences, so I'm cool with it.  But wanted you to have that perspective since it was surprising how many of us in my line had the same habit, no headliner music day of show.  So the live show is fresh and knocks you that much more on your feet is how we felt. 

Big love!
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited August 2018
    JH6056 said:
    Hi BBH, this doesn't help you with your poster request, but just wanted to point something out about you blasting PJ in the line for hours.  First off, love that you're bringing the PJ love and showing the love.  That said, while I was in line for 3 hrs on the day of Seattle 1, it was actually a big convo in the line among my linemates (and whoever happened to be on either side of us at various times during the wait), and we were surprised at how many of us have the same preference to NOT listen to the band we're going to see that day before the show.

It's just a preference - if I'd been in line with you I would never have asked you to stop playing PJ.  But when you said it was obvious you were in line with flippers because of their disdain for PJ music, some people are hardcore about this, they REALLY do NOT like listening to the band they're going to see on the day of the show.

So just wanted to give you that context, some of those folks may not have been non-PJ fans, some of them may have been mega PJ purists and really not wanted to have their rule broken for hours when they couldn't escape it until they were done buying!

Again, NOT saying you shouldn't do this, I think the spirit of it is far cooler and more fun than any concern about people's individual preferences, so I'm cool with it.  But wanted you to have that perspective since it was surprising how many of us in my line had the same habit, no headliner music day of show.  So the live show is fresh and knocks you that much more on your feet is how we felt. 

Big love!
    I was in line Sunday for 3 hours & it was boring & uncomfortable. & fans after kept coming up to me & thanking me for bring the music, I gave of my time to try and make everyone's experience better & I would NEVER get pissed off at anyone playing Pearl Jam music, unless it was the same song on a loop, especially when I am going to be at 2 shows where I am going be singing at least 3/4 of the songs, there's no better warm up for that, and I had an amazing time at both Safeco Field shows, Tim Bierman came by and thanked me & shook my hand, so that's good enough for me.
    JH6056 said:

Big love!
    I was in line Sunday for 3 hours & it was boring & uncomfortable. & fans after kept coming up to me & thanking me for bring the music, I gave of my time to try and make everyone's experience better & I would NEVER get pissed off at anyone playing Pearl Jam music, unless it was the same song on a loop, especially when I am going to be at 2 shows where I am going be singing at least 3/4 of the songs, there's no better warm up for that, and I had an amazing time at both Safeco Field shows, Tim Bierman came by and thanked me & shook my hand, so that's good enough for me.
    Totally get it and I think that's awesome that you got that response!

I hope it was clear from my post to you, that 1) I love the love you show when you do that, and 2) we were ALL surprised that other people felt the way we feel, we each thought it was a fluke and there were only a few of us. 

I didn't post this to make you feel like you shouldn't do it.  I only posted to say don't assume that just because anyone looked sideways at you for blasting PJ that it automatically made them a flipper and NON-fan.  That may not be true.

But the positive vibe and good feelings are FAR more important and, as I said, I'd have been smiling at you, not grumbling, because the community feel and the joy is way more important than a preference of mine for not listening day of show.  It's all good, you should keep doing it, sounds like it makes most people really happy!
  • BV42562BV42562 Posts: 9
    tubes10s said:
    The folks who plan and control selling the merch have it all set up exactly like they want to create the short supply and frenzied demand.  If they wanted to improve the situation, they would.  
    Agreed
  • BV42562 said:
    tubes10s said:
    The folks who plan and control selling the merch have it all set up exactly like they want to create the short supply and frenzied demand.  If they wanted to improve the situation, they would.  
    Agreed
    And that solution is what? Lots of people yelling fire. Not a lot of people running for water. Double or triple the amount of production of the highly sought after items.........the lines stay the same length. Flippers will still be there.