Options

This merch situation is really frustrating.

Comments

• Options
    BV42562BV42562 Posts: 9
    mace1229 said:
    What I don't get is all the anger at flippers, but then a lot of those same people buy extras with the intent to trade for something of higher value. How is that not just flipped? Paying $35 for a poster and trading it for $100, or paying $35 for a poster with the intent to use it in a trade as $100 value seems like the same thing to me. Just funny to me how many are outraged over one while the other is completely acceptable. Both scenarios lead to more people who actually waited in line and were at the show not getting what they wanted while other profit from it. 

Didn't get the poster I wanted. But they had tons of setlist shirts when I was there. I have zero desire for one of those and could have bought several and traded for many of the posters I'm looking for. Chose to just get only what I actually wanted instead.
    Agree. Don't blame flippers.

"Don't hate the player,  hate the game" :-)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Thank god I never got into PJ posters and merch. Seems horrible. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    MB93672 said:
    I asked if any 10c members attending Wrigley getting merchandise could pick me up a extra poster. My final cost with shipping was 42.00 shipped today & have a confirmation number, maybe those of us who are real fans can help each other like that in the future so as to avoid flippers on Ebay & getting price gouged, maybe they could even create a new category in the forum specifically for that purpose. It's super easy when you use PayPal

Agreed. I did this for several people on this tour, all at face value. Happy to help if I can. 
    awesome, thanks for being a great 10c member & helping out other PJ fans
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    MB93672 said:
    I asked if any 10c members attending Wrigley getting merchandise could pick me up a extra poster. My final cost with shipping was 42.00 shipped today & have a confirmation number, maybe those of us who are real fans can help each other like that in the future so as to avoid flippers on Ebay & getting price gouged, maybe they could even create a new category in the forum specifically for that purpose. It's super easy when you use PayPal

Agreed. I did this for several people on this tour, all at face value. Happy to help if I can. 
    I can attest to that. @MB93672 hooked me up at cost on a poster even after we had a little bit of a stupid argument on the board. Really opened my eyes and reminded me there’s still a handful of awesome people here just as I was losing hope. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    MB93672 said:

I can attest to that. @MB93672 hooked me up at cost on a poster even after we had a little bit of a stupid argument on the board. Really opened my eyes and reminded me there’s still a handful of awesome people here just as I was losing hope. 
    That is what I keep reminding myself whenever I see things about PJ fans doing not-so-classy things like flipping or the whole GA line controversy.  That there are way way more fans that are genuinely nice and good and helpful and those types of fans far outnumber the bad ones :) 

Classy move @MB93672, PJ fans are awesome
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited August 2018
    For sure, there are a few bad apples, but most are great. Someone grabbed me a poster in 2013 and let me avoid a 5 hour line in a heat wave, so he basically saved my life, lol, and someone I've never ever talked to before agreed to grab me some coasters in Seattle and mail them to me just to be nice and help me out, and another offered to reward him for doing so. :) Tons of PJ fans are generous and lovely. I have been on the receiving end of many generous acts from PJ fans over the years... I only hope that someday I will manage to pay it back and forward enough.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Was hoping to get a shirt at the Wrigley 1 show. Was a dream of mine to go to Chicago and see PJ at Wrigley, just wanted one shirt as a memento. Hope they sell some stuff in the Shop, I’ll grab something for sure.  
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    MB93672 said:

Yup and all were then not able to be purchased by fans at the show. I’m not convinced it’s better.  Well it’s better than flipping for crazy $ but I’m not convinced it’s totally noble to buy something and mail it when someone in line for 3 hours misses out then.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    MB93672MB93672 Posts: 255
    edited August 2018
    MB93672 said:

Yup and all were then not able to be purchased by fans at the show. I’m not convinced it’s better.  Well it’s better than flipping for crazy $ but I’m not convinced it’s totally noble to buy something and mail it when someone in line for 3 hours misses out then.  
    ummm @cincybearcat i bought the twisty arm poster and gave it you at cost at the addison stop before night two...
    Post edited by MB93672 on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    MB93672 said:

I agree with this too, lol. So someone is very nice to grab extra posters to mail to people or whatever, and those people getting the poster are very happy, but for every person you help out in this way, another person is left disappointed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:

ummm i bought the twisty arm poster and gave it you at cost at the addison stop before night two...
    Perhaps my point was missed. I wasn’t calling you out. I obviously am very grateful. What I’m trying to say is the merch situation is still very bad and mailing poster to people who don’t attend the show is, in my opinion, not a great thing since those there don’t get one. 

I think there is a difference to helping someone out who was at the show and tried vs someone not going to the show, does that make sense?
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

I agree with this too, lol. So someone is very nice to grab extra posters to mail to people or whatever, and those people getting the poster is very happy, but for every person you help out in this way, another person is left disappointed.
    noted. i'll refrain from this in the future. didn't think of it that way. i honestly was trying to be nice and help someone. no harm done. 
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    edited August 2018
    MB93672 said:

I will admit, I get a little frustrated at times with all of the people begging for stuff from shows they aren't even going to at the expense of the fans who are there being able to grab what they want. It is an issue, not the main issue, but it doesn't make things any easier.

I say that as someone who only got to town the day of the show for the Wrigley 13 merch madness and just experienced the insanity of the merch for the home shows.
    Post edited by sherm on
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    MB93672 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

I agree with this too, lol. So someone is very nice to grab extra posters to mail to people or whatever, and those people getting the poster is very happy, but for every person you help out in this way, another person is left disappointed.
    noted. i'll refrain from this in the future. didn't think of it that way. i honestly was trying to be nice and help someone. no harm done. 
    I didn't mean it like that. You were nice, and you did help someone out..... at worst you left things neutral, like you say no harm done, and perhaps made a friend. Anyway, it was the twisty arm poster - there is no way anyone was disappointed they didn't get that. :lol:;)=)
    I wasn't actually suggesting that people shouldn't do this though. I was just pointing out a fact.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:

ummm i bought the twisty arm poster and gave it you at cost at the addison stop before night two...
    Perhaps my point was missed. I wasn’t calling you out. I obviously am very grateful. What I’m trying to say is the merch situation is still very bad and mailing poster to people who don’t attend the show is, in my opinion, not a great thing since those there don’t get one. 
    Dude I lived 4 blocks from Wrigley and used to attend 20 Cubs games a year & ride those trains every day, so I have a far greater connection to that poster than you or the vast majority attending the show, so you are not going to guilt me into feeling bad, pretty judgmental on your part, such a weak take, you just wanted to rip me, get a life
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

Yeah as usual PJ soul said it better than I did. In the grand scheme of things it just merch anyhow and other will continue to buy and mail, so if you want to help someone out, and it’s in your allotment, you do you.

By the way - my daughter loves that poster! Happy since she couldn’t go with me due to school and we missed out on a Rome poster. But it’s going up on the wall by the green one a from 1998.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:

Dude I lived 4 blocks from Wrigley and used to attend 20 Cubs games a year & ride those trains every day, so I have a far greater connection to that poster than or the vast majority attending the show, so you are not going to guilt me into feeling bad, pretty judgmental on your part, such a weak take, you just wanted to rip me, get a life
    Rip you? By saying I think it’s better that people at the show get the poster?  Ah nevermind, it’s not worth it. You do bring up a valid point about connection to a city/ballpark that I hadn’t considered. Sorry if you felt that I “ripped you”

This merch stuff seems to bring up a lot of feelings. I’ll go look for a life now.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:

Dude I lived 4 blocks from Wrigley and used to attend 20 Cubs games a year & ride those trains every day, so I have a far greater connection to that poster than you or the vast majority attending the show, so you are not going to guilt me into feeling bad, pretty judgmental on your part, such a weak take, you just wanted to rip me, get a life
    Wow, um, that escalated quickly.
    You're taking it way too personal Hank.
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:

Dude I lived 4 blocks from Wrigley and used to attend 20 Cubs games a year & ride those trains every day, so I have a far greater connection to that poster than or the vast majority attending the show, so you are not going to guilt me into feeling bad, pretty judgmental on your part, such a weak take, you just wanted to rip me, get a life
    Rip you? By saying I think it’s better that people at the show get the poster?  Ah nevermind, it’s not worth it. You do bring up a valid point about connection to a city/ballpark that I hadn’t considered. Sorry if you felt that I “ripped you”

This merch stuff seems to bring up a lot of feelings. I’ll go look for a life now.
    Sorry I should have worded it better, I apologize, I can do better and be better
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    MB93672 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

Yeah as usual PJ soul said it better than I did. In the grand scheme of things it just merch anyhow and other will continue to buy and mail, so if you want to help someone out, and it’s in your allotment, you do you.

By the way - my daughter loves that poster! Happy since she couldn’t go with me due to school and we missed out on a Rome poster. But it’s going up on the wall by the green one a from 1998.
    good! i am glad she liked it! which 98 one are you referring to?
    and to clarify, i have gotten merch for people that are going to the shows and can't wait in line (flights, kids, diarrhea) . if i'm in line already getting myself a poster and a sticker and someone is like "hey can you grab me one keychain," i don't mind doing it. i see what you are saying that if everyone did that then the merch is limited for those also in line. i didn't do it last tour because multiple people were asking for huge amounts of stuff (10 plus items). kinda felt like my kindness was being abused. i was able to help 3 people this tour, you included. i'll retire now.
    Post edited by MB93672 on
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

and to clarify, i have gotten merch for people that are going to the shows and can't wait in line (flights, kids, diarrhea) . if i'm in line already getting myself a poster and a sticker and someone is like "hey can you grab me one keychain," i don't mind doing it. i see what you are saying that if everyone did that then the merch is limited for those also in line. i didn't do it last tour because multiple people were asking for huge amounts of stuff (10 plus items). kinda felt like my kindness was being abused. i was able to help 3 people this tour, you included. i'll retire now.
    Retire? Seriously? People have various reason for wanting something, if something is meaningful to someone and you have a chance to bring real joy to someone, why would you preclude yourself from doing that? Just because someone in an internet chat forum is trying to guilt you into it? They sold merchandise for 6 days here in Seattle, a bunch of those people were flippers, so really there is just as much a chance you are taking it from some flipper, than a real fan. You should never feel guilty about doing something nice for someone, but realistically no one should ever ask for more than 1 or 2 items. It should be on a case by case basis & you don't owe anyone an explanation when you are doing something nice that brings joy to someone's life.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,097
    At the end of the day, unless the band imposes a 1 and done policy for merch we can't be policing the line like people do for GA. If somebody wants to pay somebody to buy them a poster and the person waiting in line is ok with it, that's their prerogative 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    At the end of the day, unless the band imposes a 1 and done policy for merch we can't be policing the line like people do for GA. If somebody wants to pay somebody to buy them a poster and the person waiting in line is ok with it, that's their prerogative 
    Totally, I never buy more than 1 item, if I can help someone out, I feel it would be selfish of me not to
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

Retire? Seriously? People have various reason for wanting something, if something is meaningful to someone and you have a chance to bring real joy to someone, why would you preclude yourself from doing that? Just because someone in an internet chat forum is trying to guilt you into it? They sold merchandise for 6 days here in Seattle, a bunch of those people were flippers, so really there is just as much a chance you are taking it from some flipper, than a real fan. You should never feel guilty about doing something nice for someone, but realistically no one should ever ask for more than 1 or 2 items. It should be on a case by case basis & you don't owe anyone an explanation when you are doing something nice that brings joy to someone's life.
    Oh man. Who knew stating an opinion about mailing merch would mean I was railing against one person and guilting another. It’s just my opinion.  I think people should do whatever they feel comfortable with. Just sharing my perspective. And to be fair, I’m not sure why I quoted her to begin with, meant to quote only you... stupid phone and forum. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

98 Indy and 98 Knoxville (the 2 shows I made that tour). Both have greenish background and to me the twisted arm guy looks like a 98 poster. Again thanks.  

And if I were you I’d keep doing what you are doing. As someone else said they set a limit, if you stick to it you are free to do what you want with it.  I personally would have a hard time buying and mailing...but as Hank pointed out so kindly, there are some reasons that I’m sure make sense.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

98 Indy and 98 Knoxville (the 2 shows I made that tour). Both have greenish background and to me the twisted arm guy looks like a 98 poster. Again thanks.  

And if I were you I’d keep doing what you are doing. As someone else said they set a limit, if you stick to it you are free to do what you want with it.  I personally would have a hard time buying and mailing...but as Hank pointed out so kindly, there are some reasons that I’m sure make sense.
    You’re welcome. I appreciate your opinion. No harm done. Merch aside, it’s about the music. Enjoy the poster!
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

Oh man. Who knew stating an opinion about mailing merch would mean I was railing against one person and guilting another. It’s just my opinion.  I think people should do whatever they feel comfortable with. Just sharing my perspective. And to be fair, I’m not sure why I quoted her to begin with, meant to quote only you... stupid phone and forum. 
    You are right I shouldn't give a shit about your opinion, because it's totally irrelevant 

• Options
    eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    1upstate said:
    myoung321 said:
    It's time 10C did a package for ticket winners...   no reason to make your dedicated fans stand in lines for hours when it can be easily streamlined - This will stop flippers from buying out merch before "normal" people can get anything.. gotten out of hand.
    Other bands do this with success.  
    Other bands have huge corporations that can handle that type of volume do this for them. 
    P/J  is their own huge corporation, they could do that easily, same as PPV
    big $$$$
  • Options
    jnikojniko Posts: 292
    Some people pay for their travel by flipping.  If Pearl Jam curbed the flipping they probably would have a lot less travelers to shows.  Could impact sell outs.  They sell out stadiums and sell out their merchandise with the current system.  They aren't gonna change it.
  • Options
    MB93672 said:
    MB93672 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MB93672 said:

You are right I shouldn't give a shit about your opinion, because it's totally irrelevant 

You need a drink....or to stop drinking. 
    hippiemom = goodness