Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

Last night, Glacier National Park rangers apprehended Raymond Reinke, age 55, from Pendleton, Oregon. Reinke was wanted following an incident earlier this week at Yellowstone National Park when he was captured on video harassing a bison. On July 28, he was arrested by law enforcement rangers at Grand Teton National Park for a drunk and disorderly conduct incident. Read the full story at http://go.nps.gov/q7xxuc.

Visitors are reminded that harassing wildlife is illegal in all national parks. Respect these wild animals--remain 100 yards from bears and wolves, and 25 yards from other wildlife including bison, elk, and moose.

Maybe instead of jail just drop this guy off in the middle of a large wilderness area with a Swiss Army Knife and bag of rice and see how he does.
    I love it!
    I took a survival class with a guy named Tom Brown and would like to think that I could endure a week or two in the wilderness but who knows.  
    The Tom Brown?

As in:

Yes sir!  That man taught me a lot. I will always remember in order of importance: Shelter, water, fire, food. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

Last night, Glacier National Park rangers apprehended Raymond Reinke, age 55, from Pendleton, Oregon. Reinke was wanted following an incident earlier this week at Yellowstone National Park when he was captured on video harassing a bison. On July 28, he was arrested by law enforcement rangers at Grand Teton National Park for a drunk and disorderly conduct incident. Read the full story at http://go.nps.gov/q7xxuc.

Visitors are reminded that harassing wildlife is illegal in all national parks. Respect these wild animals--remain 100 yards from bears and wolves, and 25 yards from other wildlife including bison, elk, and moose.

Maybe instead of jail just drop this guy off in the middle of a large wilderness area with a Swiss Army Knife and bag of rice and see how he does.
    I love it!
    I took a survival class with a guy named Tom Brown and would like to think that I could endure a week or two in the wilderness but who knows.  
    The big city guy who orders pizza 4X a week is talking tuff lol.
    I know I can shoot better than you And I think I could throw a fly better too. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!
    The Tom Brown?

As in:

Yes sir!  That man taught me a lot. I will always remember in order of importance: Shelter, water, fire, food. 
    Whoa!  What a great experience and opportunity.  Excellent, McG!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!
    I know I can shoot better than you And I think I could throw a fly better too
    That's the easy part.  Catching them... that's another story.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!
    But of course, that's why it is called fishing, not catching lol.  
    Bri, John Brown was the ultimate environmentalist.  He was definitely full of himself but god did he know everything about the land.  I remember him pointing out to me bobcat tracks literally 10' from my tent.  The guy was amazing.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!
    Give me 5-10 minutes to reacquaint my senses with my awesome aim and you'd be toast. You'd have to explain to all your gun range guys how the good looking Canadian guy smoked you with your own guns: "Hey Scruff. I reckon' that Canadjian fella whooped ya. Yee haw!"

The last time you tried to throw a fly... you snared your cousin's cheek at the Scruffy family reunion fishing derby and ruined lunch ('Something About Mary' style).

No. I don't do everything better than you. Despite the fact you aren't very thorough with the necessary wiping efforts afterwards... you're better at... well... you know. You might be better at going, "Gyar matey" too (necessary for your summer job and something I have no training in so that's not really very fair). 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Annafalk said:

I think this is called a fallow dear, sometimes you meet them around here :) This photo is taken today
    That is a beautiful photo
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Annafalk said:

I think this is called a fallow dear, sometimes you meet them around here :) This photo is taken today
    That is a beautiful photo
    Thank you :):)
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!
    Give me 5-10 minutes to reacquaint my senses with my awesome aim and you'd be toast. You'd have to explain to all your gun range guys how the good looking Canadian guy smoked you with your own guns: "Hey Scruff. I reckon' that Canadjian fella whooped ya. Yee haw!"

The last time you tried to throw a fly... you snared your cousin's cheek at the Scruffy family reunion fishing derby and ruined lunch ('Something About Mary' style).

No. I don't do everything better than you. Despite the fact you aren't very thorough with the necessary wiping efforts afterwards... you're better at... well... you know. You might be better at going, "Gyar matey" too (necessary for your summer job and something I have no training in so that's not really very fair). 
    Lol. Good stuff. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!
    But of course, that's why it is called fishing, not catching lol.  
    Bri, John Brown was the ultimate environmentalist.  He was definitely full of himself but god did he know everything about the land.  I remember him pointing out to me bobcat tracks literally 10' from my tent.  The guy was amazing.
    No no no no, I mean catching flies! Here's the guy to talk to about that:

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    edited August 2018
    Annafalk said:

I think this is called a fallow dear, sometimes you meet them around here :) This photo is taken today.

Such a gorgeous shot Anna.  It looks like a postcard.  The deer is beautiful too.  It looks like it was just waiting for you to take its picture.  Well done :)
    Post edited by Fifthelement on
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!

Lol. Good stuff. 
    Wow! Really? This is your retort? You, sir, have lost. ThirtyBillsUnpaid is hereby declared the undisputed winner. Your lack of a fight has disappointed not only me, but every fellow American. We expected a much, much better showing.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!

Lol. Good stuff. 
    Wow! Really? This is your retort? You, sir, have lost. ThirtyBillsUnpaid is hereby declared the undisputed winner. Your lack of a fight has disappointed not only me, but every fellow American. We expected a much, much better showing.
    Hey I have to let him win some of the time, if not he goes homeboy and buried himself in a bottle of Shiraz. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!

Lol. Good stuff. 
    Hey I have to let him win some of the time, if not he goes homeboy and buried himself in a bottle of Shiraz. 
    Sounds like it's the parent in you letting the kids win??? We definitely don't need anybody burying themselves in Shiraz.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!

Lol. Good stuff. 

Yeesssssssss!!!!
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!

Lol. Good stuff. 
    Sounds like it's the parent in you letting the kids win??? We definitely don't need anybody burying themselves in Shiraz.
    I feel bad for Del, he seldom wins any political arguments so I have to throw him one here and there.  
    Just between you and I, I used to fish with Del and I actually had to put the worm on the hook and had to release the fish he caught because he was scared of them.  Dude nearly peed his pants when he caught a 5" trout.  It was really embarrassing and I felt bad for  him but I just smiled and made it out like it was no big deal.  
    Dont' even get me started on the time he screamed like a little school girl when he saw a squirrel thinking it was a mountain lion.  Yikes.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!

Lol. Good stuff. 
    I feel bad for Del, he seldom wins any political arguments so I have to throw him one here and there.  
    Just between you and I, I used to fish with Del and I actually had to put the worm on the hook and had to release the fish he caught because he was scared of them.  Dude nearly peed his pants when he caught a 5" trout.  It was really embarrassing and I felt bad for  him but I just smiled and made it out like it was no big deal.  
    Dont' even get me started on the time he screamed like a little school girl when he saw a squirrel thinking it was a mountain lion.  Yikes.

I'm not going to lie: I never used to think twice about threading a worm on to a hook. Now I do feel a small pang of regret for the little buggers- they don't like it.

Speaking of scaredy cats:

When were in Hawaii, we went on a snorkel tour. We came to this offshore reef and snorkeled away. I was with my daughter who was around 8 years old at the time. She was really nervous (despite having a fair bit of experience given her age) so I was being dad and hangin' with her. There were tons of fish and a curious little school of funny looking ones shifted direction and swam right towards us. My daughter panicked with a massive burst of bubbles and some frantic flailing of limbs. I poked my head out of the water and she was screaming to all, "PIRAHNAS! PIRAHNAS!"

Everyone stopped to check out the commotion. I tried to calm my daughter down, but this was not easy to do. She wanted back in the boat. My wife took over and they snorkeled right by the boat. My son and I tooled off looking for something awesome.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited August 2018
    Annafalk said:

I think this is called a fallow dear, sometimes you meet them around here :) This photo is taken today.

Such a gorgeous shot Anna.  It looks like a postcard.  The deer is beautiful too.  It looks like it was just waiting for you to take its picture.  Well done :)
    Thank you, actually it was my 12 yr old son who took the photo. These deers really have a  very special and proud way of looking at you :)
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

Thank you, actually it was my 12 yr old son who took the photo. These deers really have a  very special and proud way of looking at you :)
    Marvelous deer photo!  Good job, son!

• FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223

Just kidding. We do get a few opossums and raccoons, and howling cougars in the wee small hours.
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    I didn't like lizards until I moved to AZ.  Now I really enjoy them like this horned lizard in our back yard.  We also have had 2 rattlesnakes in our yard this year but I removed them and placed them a quarter mile away in the desert.  They die if you place them more than 1/2 a mile is what the fish and game told us.

91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    I didn't like lizards until I moved to AZ.  Now I really enjoy them like this horned lizard in our back yard.  We also have had 2 rattlesnakes in our yard this year but I removed them and placed them a quarter mile away in the desert.  They die if you place them more than 1/2 a mile is what the fish and game told us.

Beautiful.  Good on you for not killing the snakes.  Watched the saddest documentary on the damage that humans have done to the species.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Although she didn't get a photo, my wife tells me the four fox kits we saw a few months ago are back!  She saw them playing in the back yard. Though getting into adolescence, she says they are still quite playful.  I'm a little bummed that I missed seeing them but glad have had the morning to get some much needed sleep.  Anyway, I'm happy to know they are still around here!

I love lizards!  We get a lot of western fence lizards and the occasional larger alligator lizard.  Live watching them do their push ups! 

• This feller was checking us out last night during a twilight round of golf:

And this morning on our mountain bike ride... coyotes howling. We stopped to try and locate them. They were a distance apart.

Then we noticed hikers with two smaller dogs. We figured the coyotes were trying to lure the dogs away from their owners.
    This feller was checking us out last night during a twilight round of golf:

And this morning on our mountain bike ride... coyotes howling. We stopped to try and locate them. They were a distance apart.

Then we noticed hikers with two smaller dogs. We figured the coyotes were trying to lure the dogs away from their owners.
    I didn't know they did that?  To what purpose, do you know?

I love this photo not only because I think coyotes are marvelous, but also because the scene looks like one of those quiet lonely places I so often crave.

• brianlux said:

I love this photo not only because I think coyotes are marvelous, but also because the scene looks like one of those quiet lonely places I so often crave.
    Cheers!

I'm totally feeling you on the desolate places being therapeutic. 

Being a coyote would be pretty cool (except Spiritual would not approve of your carnivorous lifestyle lol).
  • brianlux said:

I didn't know they did that?  To what purpose, do you know?
    I think they wanted to snack.