9 covers

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Here's some numbers for ya:

This Thread = 120 posts
    Concert Fanview Thread = 33

C'mon, people! That's completely backwards. Seattle just got their first show in 5 years at Safeco and all there is to talk about are the covers? There's got to be some great things to post about this show too. We can be critical and still show the love.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2018
    my2hands said:
    They've been a band for approaching thirty years. You ever think they are sick of playing some of these songs? I don't give a damn what they play and I would LOVE to hear Again Today at Fenway.
    I can't imagine that they are sick of playing anything off Binaural, Riot Act, S/T

I would love to hear more of those songs

this is the only thing I would change with the band the past 5 years, they are over relying on the "hits" and songs written in 1998 or earlier (that was 20 years ago folks) and have seemed to move away from playing their catalog from 2000-present.... I think that is a mistake and eventually leads to being a full on nostalgia act, which I never want to see happen.

I count 5 songs plus Wasted Reprise played last night written after 1998.... only 5 songs to represent the last 20 years of the PJ catalog... and to me, as a diehard that knows the full catalog, that sucks

Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Help Help, Setting Forth, NAIS, Wasted Reprise

This is as big a complaint for me as the amount of covers, if not bigger. The setlist formula, despite the variations from night to night has gotten stale. End the 1st encore w/ Porch, the 2nd w/ RVM, the show closer is usually pretty predictable, as are the show openers. Setlists are heavy on Ten & VS, with the usual tracks from Vitalogy & Yield thrown in there. Where the hell is the No Code love, never mind the aforementioned Riot Act / ST / Binaural songs? For as much as they do change out a lot of tracks from show to show, it's still very formulaic and predictable. They're kind of already at the nostalgia act level if you ask me.

With the exception of Quebec in '16, I'm hard pressed to think of many other outlier setlists from the last 5 years. (I'm sure I'm wrong & there are some more, but they are few & far between)

I like seeing the White Stripes cover in there, but the ones they've been playing for 20+ years could be put out to pasture. I'm sorry, RITFW is usually my cue to beat the crowd, it always feels very uninspired to me.

There aren't many live acts that can hold a candle to PJ, I'll be the first to say that. Still though, the formula is a bit stale in the last few years.

From the Lightning Bolt tour - when they begun with the "two slow songs to start the show off" I think the structure has become to predictable. 

Have they started with a fast song since then?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    my2hands said:
    They've been a band for approaching thirty years. You ever think they are sick of playing some of these songs? I don't give a damn what they play and I would LOVE to hear Again Today at Fenway.
    I can't imagine that they are sick of playing anything off Binaural, Riot Act, S/T

this is the only thing I would change with the band the past 5 years, they are over relying on the "hits" and songs written in 1998 or earlier (that was 20 years ago folks) and have seemed to move away from playing their catalog from 2000-present.... I think that is a mistake and eventually leads to being a full on nostalgia act, which I never want to see happen.

I count 5 songs plus Wasted Reprise played last night written after 1998.... only 5 songs to represent the last 20 years of the PJ catalog... and to me, as a diehard that knows the full catalog, that sucks

Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Help Help, Setting Forth, NAIS, Wasted Reprise

This is as big a complaint for me as the amount of covers, if not bigger. The setlist formula, despite the variations from night to night has gotten stale. End the 1st encore w/ Porch, the 2nd w/ RVM, the show closer is usually pretty predictable, as are the show openers. Setlists are heavy on Ten & VS, with the usual tracks from Vitalogy & Yield thrown in there. Where the hell is the No Code love, never mind the aforementioned Riot Act / ST / Binaural songs? For as much as they do change out a lot of tracks from show to show, it's still very formulaic and predictable. They're kind of already at the nostalgia act level if you ask me.

With the exception of Quebec in '16, I'm hard pressed to think of many other outlier setlists from the last 5 years. (I'm sure I'm wrong & there are some more, but they are few & far between)

I like seeing the White Stripes cover in there, but the ones they've been playing for 20+ years could be put out to pasture. I'm sorry, RITFW is usually my cue to beat the crowd, it always feels very uninspired to me.

There aren't many live acts that can hold a candle to PJ, I'll be the first to say that. Still though, the formula is a bit stale in the last few years.

From the Lightning Bolt tour - when they begun with the "two slow songs to start the show off" I think the structure has become to predictable. 

2016 had a lot of fast song starts
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    my2hands said:

I've seen 16 shows...openers were
    Long Road 98
    Long Road 03
    Long Road 09
    HTI
    Sometimes
    Oceans
    Release
    Release
    Wash
    Present Tense
    Release
    Pendulum
    Pendulum
    Small Town
    LB
    Low Light

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    my2hands said:

Tampa 2016. They opened with Why Go.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    tbergs said:
    Here's some numbers for ya:

This Thread = 120 posts
    Concert Fanview Thread = 33

C'mon, people! That's completely backwards. Seattle just got their first show in 5 years at Safeco and all there is to talk about are the covers? There's got to be some great things to post about this show too. We can be critical and still show the love.
    It's neither here nor there. This board is populated by more people that did not attend than did attend.  And it's also populated by those who have to come to the band's defense when there's criticism.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    my2hands said:

let me break this down a little and show why its bullshit.... first of all I only count 8 "covers", if you wan to get technical.... but I don't see it quite that way, anyway

Throw Your Hatred Down - Although its technically a Neil song, this is not a cover as PJ was Neil's band for that album, I consider everything off of Mirrorball to be part of the Pearl Jam catalog. Some of you younger folks may not even realize PJ made an album with Uncle Neil, go pick it up, or stream it, or whatever you like to do, its a classic

Help - Single verse and chorus, not even the full song. Its the Beatles, and an amazing song, and lead into a true PJ live rarity with Help, Help... so chill out lol

Patriot - Sorry Little Steven, PJ owns this song now. Although technically it is, I don't consider this a cover (Much like Crazy Mary, which I don't consider a cover at this point. Do Grateful Dead fans consider Morning Dew a cover, I sure don't)

Friends - They covered The White Stripes, for the first time ever, enough said.

Again Today - A newer cover that they have mixed in and even have a studio version

Comfortably Numb - They have done this quite a bit the past few years, and Mother a few years before that, so i understand if people are a little Pink Floyd'ed out, but I happen to think Comfortably Numb is one of the best covers they have ever done and its right in the wheelhouse of Eddie vocally and Mike with the solo, so I say keep it in in the rotation forever

I've Got A Feeling - again, its the Beatles, and they did a studio version found on some versions of Ten. This has been in the catalog forever and when they play it, it doesn't really feel like a cover to me because of these things

RITFW - I'm not sure you can ever make an Uncle Neil song your own, so i will say they are partial owners of this song and it has been a staple FOREVER, when they play it, it doesn't feel like a cover to me at all

so yeah, this "too many covers" thing is overhyped BS in my opinion, keep them coming!!!

BRAVO
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    my2hands said:

NYC 2016 started with Go......
  • shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    pdalowsky said:
    my2hands said:

NYC 2016 started with Go......

So did Ft Lauderdale in 2016 from what I recall
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Do people feel that covers are less effort or such by the band?  Probably not, I think with less & less shows each year people simply want more & more of the band's original stuff because we love their shit more than anybody else.  So this is actually complimentary.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    pdalowsky said:
    my2hands said:

let me break this down a little and show why its bullshit.... first of all I only count 8 "covers", if you wan to get technical.... but I don't see it quite that way, anyway

Throw Your Hatred Down - Although its technically a Neil song, this is not a cover as PJ was Neil's band for that album, I consider everything off of Mirrorball to be part of the Pearl Jam catalog. Some of you younger folks may not even realize PJ made an album with Uncle Neil, go pick it up, or stream it, or whatever you like to do, its a classic

Help - Single verse and chorus, not even the full song. Its the Beatles, and an amazing song, and lead into a true PJ live rarity with Help, Help... so chill out lol

Patriot - Sorry Little Steven, PJ owns this song now. Although technically it is, I don't consider this a cover (Much like Crazy Mary, which I don't consider a cover at this point. Do Grateful Dead fans consider Morning Dew a cover, I sure don't)

Again Today - A newer cover that they have mixed in and even have a studio version

Comfortably Numb - They have done this quite a bit the past few years, and Mother a few years before that, so i understand if people are a little Pink Floyd'ed out, but I happen to think Comfortably Numb is one of the best covers they have ever done and its right in the wheelhouse of Eddie vocally and Mike with the solo, so I say keep it in in the rotation forever

I've Got A Feeling - again, its the Beatles, and they did a studio version found on some versions of Ten. This has been in the catalog forever and when they play it, it doesn't really feel like a cover to me because of these things

RITFW - I'm not sure you can ever make an Uncle Neil song your own, so i will say they are partial owners of this song and it has been a staple FOREVER, when they play it, it doesn't feel like a cover to me at all

so yeah, this "too many covers" thing is overhyped BS in my opinion, keep them coming!!!

BRAVO

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    A cover is a cover no matter how many times they have played it and made it their own.  I don't mind them but always prefer to hear original Pearl Jam songs.
    NYPJ
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I would have loved hearing for the first time:  help,we’re gonna be friends, comfortably numb and i’ve Got a feeling!!
    long road into release....wow.  
    Awesome intro and awesome show.

The entitlement is a little much around here right now. There were rarer songs I wanted to hear, but not hearing them never ruined my night one bit.

They played for over over three hours. They more than earned the right to play some covers they wanted to have fun with.

Fantastic show and so glad to be there.

* Even Flow took on a whole new meaning for me listening to Ed speak to the inspiration for it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Gibson said:
    I can relate.
    "My wallet was too heavy last night from all the $50s I had to cram in there."
    and I quote Chandler Bing:

"my wallet's too small for my 50's, and my diamond shoes are too tight!". :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    Gibson said:
    I can relate.
    "My wallet was too heavy last night from all the $50s I had to cram in there."
    and I quote Chandler Bing:

"my wallet's too small for my 50's, and my diamond shoes are too tight!". :lol:
    That's the one :)
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would have loved hearing for the first time:  help,we’re gonna be friends, comfortably numb and i’ve Got a feeling!!

The entitlement is a little much around here right now. There were rarer songs I wanted to hear, but not hearing them never ruined my night one bit.

They played for over over three hours. They more than earned the right to play some covers they wanted to have fun with.

* Even Flow took on a whole new meaning for me listening to Ed speak to the inspiration for it.
    Yup
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    i agree pearl jam have plenty of excellent songs 9 covers is far to much here are 9 songs not played enough at all in my opinion
    glorified g
    who you are 
    marker in the sand
    get right
    out of my mind
    getaway
    cropduster
    hitchiker
    sleight of hand

danny d
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    I often like the covers and what they can do with them. From looking at the Fanview thread, I may have been more bothered by how much Eddie talked between songs rather than the covers. I wouldn't have complained about it, but looks like he was really chatty.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    I say they can play what they want and everyone should have fun 
  • know1 said:
    I often like the covers and what they can do with them. From looking at the Fanview thread, I may have been more bothered by how much Eddie talked between songs rather than the covers. I wouldn't have complained about it, but looks like he was really chatty.
    He actually wasn't very chatty. And he kept things clean as well with the kids at the side of the stage.

He laid off Trump lol.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • marcos said:
    Do people feel that covers are less effort or such by the band?  Probably not, I think with less & less shows each year people simply want more & more of the band's original stuff because we love their shit more than anybody else.  So this is actually complimentary.
    Spot on!

Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Not everyone has to enjoy a PJ show the same way. Some do not like covers as much as others do and 9 is a lot for these people obviously. Be respectful about it though and to be honest the two songs I am sad I missed were covers. Throw Your Hatred and Friends sounded awesome!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:

Well said bud.  Sounds like you had a great time; make sure you try some local pizza and beer!  Be safe.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    Nope. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Show was amazing a great start!
    All I can really say in response to these people is whaaaaa....
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    It's not the band I hate, it's their fans-  Coax me, Sloan
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    pdalowsky said:
    my2hands said:

BRAVO
    +1 This says it all. I wasn't at the show, however I've been to shows where covers are played. Perhaps it's not so much that the cover songs themselves are bad or unwanted. It's just that as a "superfan" you wanted to hear a different song in that slot. We need to get over ourselves or just don't go to the shows if it ruins your life. ;)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mpedone said:
    my2hands said:

Tampa 2016. They opened with Why Go.
    Same in Hampton.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    CopperTom said:
    It's terrible.  It's pathetic.  9 covers.  3 songs from Riot Act, Binaural, Avacado, Backspacer and No Code combined.  When I go to a PJ concert, I want to hear PJ songs. Awful.
    Stay at home.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    mcgruff10 said:

First thing I said after listening g the story was even flow should be played in every fuckin show only cos of  the story
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”