9 covers

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    It was a lot of covers. Seems more ‘excesive’ from someone looking on from the outside though I am sure
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited August 2018
    I love covers... especially by PJ... so keep them coming

But I do wish they would a lot play more songs written after 1998, I've noticed they are leaning more & more on their early catalog 

Fellas, you made some amazing music after 1998, feel free to share it
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Was wondering what other things people will find to complain.. There u have it. 
    But weren’t you on here recently complaining about the Euro posters being dropped while people were traveling?

seems u have an obsetion with what i say or what i do..find something different to spent your time than me..
    and i asked a question to santos..and how they drop and when the posters answered 
    My point is... you weren’t happy about the poster drops and some weren’t happy with the amount of covers.  You both should get to post your opinions. 
    my opint is ill complain when for any reason 10c see non americans fans, europeans,australian etc as second category fans and has always priority to please americans and not the rest of us..when there is unjustice ill point it out..im not complaining about the band or anything else..but my money is the same as anyone else pays for the membership.so i want a fair game.for us europeans.when comes the rights as 10c members
    In my experience, that's what Europeans do. They call out any perceived American-centric actions whether they are valid or not.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    know1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    But weren’t you on here recently complaining about the Euro posters being dropped while people were traveling?

seems u have an obsetion with what i say or what i do..find something different to spent your time than me..
    and i asked a question to santos..and how they drop and when the posters answered 
    My point is... you weren’t happy about the poster drops and some weren’t happy with the amount of covers.  You both should get to post your opinions. 
    my opint is ill complain when for any reason 10c see non americans fans, europeans,australian etc as second category fans and has always priority to please americans and not the rest of us..when there is unjustice ill point it out..im not complaining about the band or anything else..but my money is the same as anyone else pays for the membership.so i want a fair game.for us europeans.when comes the rights as 10c members
    In my experience, that's what Europeans do. They call out any perceived American-centric actions whether they are valid or not.
    is valid when there is an australian for exable tour every 5 years and the tour poster drops at 3-4 am australian time and 9-10 am usa time..sorry..they dont have a cjhance to score a poster australian that time,and we all know how hard is to get them the last years..so must be a fair game ..drop em at 9 am australian time
    maybe u americansd doenst like it,.,but i will point it out cos is not right,no matter who likes it or not
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    This thread won't end well. IBTL
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Man y'all are nuts.  Someone makes a statement that >25% of PJ setlist being covers is excessive and it's always the same responses...

You just lucky the play music
    They change setlist other bands don't

None of that has shit to do with the question.

My answer to the question - Yes I believe it's excessive.  They have plenty of songs the fans want to hear that are theirs.  Of course it's their setlist and they can decide.  But my preference would be less covers.  Like 2 max.  1 interesting new one and RITFW ;)  That said I have rarely if ever walked out of a PJ show disappointed.  Though I'm already way over Comfortably Numb.  That one shoulda be played during 1 year of concerts and then retired.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 483
    One of my favorite shows had a ton of covers. Champaign IL.  The highlight of the show that still sticks out to me is blue red and grey.  Covers are good it has been part of their routine since the beginning. Another show was Fenway with Masters of war that was nothing but magical.  In the end it is their band and they can choose how to run it. If you don't like how they are doing things you can protest or boycot.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Exactly
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It sucked and I wasnt even there.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    know1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

is valid when there is an australian for exable tour every 5 years and the tour poster drops at 3-4 am australian time and 9-10 am usa time..sorry..they dont have a cjhance to score a poster australian that time,and we all know how hard is to get them the last years..so must be a fair game ..drop em at 9 am australian time
    maybe u americansd doenst like it,.,but i will point it out cos is not right,no matter who likes it or not
    I think those are all valid points.  And maybe someone can make a valid point that 9 covers is a few too many.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited August 2018
    pjl44 said:
    If someone was at the show and has a critique, that's one thing. I'm not hearing it if someone is reading a setlist online.
    So I agree and disagree with this.

I agree you can't comment on performance, eddie's voice, etc.

But I think you can look at the setlist and have a few questions/comments.  And again, personally I think it looks like a very solid setlist....though a couple of covers I'd like removed and add in some great Pearl Jam songs instead!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    There's always going to be those that complain about the complainers. Ironic. 

9 covers is a bit much, let's say 4 of those could have been rare PJ songs that we would all love to hear. It's a valid point, but the awful and pathetic comments are a bit much though. 
    NYPJ
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    That was a great setlist.  “Again Today” beats hearing Sleeping by Myself or whatever.  
  • Complaining is just today's world. I watched Kentucky basketball play an exhibition game last night where they won by 24 points....people are complaining because they wore black uniforms when Kentucky's colors are blue and white. No matter what Pearl Jam plays, people will complain.....I'd have loved to have been at that show last night. They generally always cover songs that I like. 9 days til Chicago! 
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    Maybe they were just warming up to play Vitalogy front to back on Friday?
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
    know1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

Dude, it's an American band.  Get over it.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited August 2018
    People were just wishing that we would discuss the show more. Here you have it... cant complain about peoples complaints. Gives thread diversity. If someone thinks its too many covers (like I do too) then let them have that opinion
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    know1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

They should cover some Grand Funk Railroad.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    know1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

then should charge less membership to non americans if we dont get the same as americans
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    They've been a band for approaching thirty years. You ever think they are sick of playing some of these songs? I don't give a damn what they play and I would LOVE to hear Again Today at Fenway.
    I can't imagine that they are sick of playing anything off Binaural, Riot Act, S/T

I would love to hear more of those songs
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    I have faith that they'll change some things up and dust off some older, less played songs.  For Wrigley and Boston, I wonder if they'll take a look at what they played in 2016 and try and mix it up a bit.  
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    pjl44 said:
    If someone was at the show and has a critique, that's one thing. I'm not hearing it if someone is reading a setlist online.

But I think you can look at the setlist and have a few questions/comments.  And again, personally I think it looks like a very solid setlist....though a couple of covers I'd like removed and add in some great Pearl Jam songs instead!
    I've been to Pearl Jam shows that were electric where people online complained about it being a "greatest hits" set.

On covers specifically - I also love My Morning Jacket and they can go cover-heavy at times. I have seen that make for an amazing show and I've also seen it leave me wanting more.

I feel the same way when people shit on a poster design based on a posted picture. These are things meant to be experienced in person. You *can* have an opinion on it without doing so. You won't be thrown in prison. But I don't think it has any merit.
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    know1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

Lmao!
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    This thread is like a shit reality show, it sucks you in and when it's over you realize you'll never get that time back  =) 

Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    know1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

https://youtu.be/r6DYQuNBckI
    I give you Rob Zombie instead.  :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I've been to Pearl Jam shows that were electric where people online complained about it being a "greatest hits" set.

On covers specifically - I also love My Morning Jacket and they can go cover-heavy at times. I have seen that make for an amazing show and I've also seen it leave me wanting more.

I feel the same way when people shit on a poster design based on a posted picture. These are things meant to be experienced in person. You *can* have an opinion on it without doing so. You won't be thrown in prison. But I don't think it has any merit.

So - I agree with you on having an opinion of how a specific show went and felt.  But still think discussing the setlist and saying "too many covers", "I want more No Code...or Riot Act" and the like is a valid opinion with merit.  Cause #1 it's an opinion and #2 it's not saying the specific show was bad, just that they'd prefer to hear more PJ songs.

I have been at a few "greatest hits" setlists myself that were terrific shows.  Rome from this year might not jump out at people but I was amazed at how good everything sounded and the just plain fun atmosphere.  It was a blast.
    hippiemom = goodness
    know1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

If people want something, they will do what it takes. If they don't really want something, they'll make excuses.

It's an American band and a club who that is being run from the U.S.. Issues like what you mention are to be expected.

And in any case, it's still complaining like the other poster said.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    know1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

Lmao!
    Well, they are An American Band. For the youngins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL4rXHt0_GI

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I commented in the Fanviews thread that I didn't think this looked like a great set on paper.  And I agree 9 covers is a little excessive.  With how big their catalog is I would prefer it to be kept to a max of 2 or 3 covers a show not including the tags.

With that being said I would of loved to of been at that show last night and I'm sure I would of had a fucking blast like I always do at a pearl Jam concert.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    Complaining is just today's world. I watched Kentucky basketball play an exhibition game last night where they won by 24 points....people are complaining because they wore black uniforms when Kentucky's colors are blue and white. No matter what Pearl Jam plays, people will complain.....I'd have loved to have been at that show last night. They generally always cover songs that I like. 9 days til Chicago! 
    Fellow UK fan hear. Which isn't surprising since, like I said before, we've been to lots of the same shows.